- - - - -

BBC - SPOTY

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#1 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 01:30

Lewis Hamilton is one of only 6 candidates to win this year's Sports Personality of the Year.  This is half the usual number of candidates, due to the lack of sport this year.

To tell the truth I'm shocked that Marcus Rashford isn't on the list.  Had he been, the result would have been a walkover for him.  It's possible the BBC have a special award for him.  I hope so.

https://www.bbc.co.u...nality/55101008

Advertisement

#2 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:29

To tell the truth I'm shocked that Marcus Rashford isn't on the list.

I would have been shocked if he was, he did nothing of note on the pitch. Not the BBC's fault that most people dont know that personality has more meanings.

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:44

It’s always been called ‘personality’ of the year just because it’s the least clunky way of way of making it applicable to describe both sportsmen and sportswomen that anyone could think of. (Try it!)  It’s never meant to have applied to how much you wanted to be chatting to them at a dinner party etc. 

#4 owenmahamilton

owenmahamilton

• 338 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:06

Lewis Hamilton is one of only 6 candidates to win this year's Sports Personality of the Year.  This is half the usual number of candidates, due to the lack of sport this year.

To tell the truth I'm shocked that Marcus Rashford isn't on the list.  Had he been, the result would have been a walkover for him.  It's possible the BBC have a special award for him.  I hope so.

https://www.bbc.co.u...nality/55101008

It's already been announced that Marcus will be getting a special award. He doesn't deserve to be on the shortlist for his football achievements this year (speaking as a Manchester United fan). I'd be shocked if Lewis doesn't win it by a landslide to be honest (and deservedly so), the other nominees are there just to make up the numbers in my opinion.

#5 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,081 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:23

Fury should get it. Insincerity shouldn’t be rewarded.

#6 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:30

I would have been shocked if he was, he did nothing of note on the pitch. Not the BBC's fault that most people dont know that personality has more meanings.

You missed his hat trick in the Champions League?

#7 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:03

And unsurprisingly, Johnny Rea wasn't among the nominees....motorcycles obviously don't count.

#8 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:12

You missed his hat trick in the Champions League?

What was Wenger thinking sending Walcott on that early?

#9 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:18

And unsurprisingly, Johnny Rea wasn't among the nominees....motorcycles obviously don't count.

Rea has been nominated in previous years. In 2017 he was voted into second place behind Mo Farah.

#10 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:20

What was Wenger thinking sending Walcott on that early?

The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in!

#11 pdac

pdac

• 17,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:09

It’s always been called ‘personality’ of the year just because it’s the least clunky way of way of making it applicable to describe both sportsmen and sportswomen that anyone could think of. (Try it!)  It’s never meant to have applied to how much you wanted to be chatting to them at a dinner party etc. 

Ah, it always puzzled me why some very wooden people were considered.

#12 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:27

Remember when Giggs robbed Button in 09.

I think we'll get a repeat here with all the Liverpool fans voting for Henderson and Hamilton therefore getting second.

#13 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,397 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:33

It does have something to do with popularity, though, but in the context of high sporting  achievement obviously. 

I don't think they could have included Rashford. They (the BBC) would have been inviting a popular vote of no confidence in government policy (or non-policy) by proxy. It would be far too political. Giving him an award without putting him in a position to receive public votes is a good idea.

#14 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:39

I think we'll get a repeat here with all the Liverpool fans voting for Henderson and Hamilton therefore getting second.

I’m still angry about that. I would have accepted anyone else that year over Button, but it went to the least deserving one on the list.

I hope Hamilton wins it again. Partially because I think he deserves it, but also because he’s the only one this year I really know.

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:41

The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in!

Ee was aving a laff.

#16 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:50

It does have something to do with popularity, though, but in the context of high sporting  achievement obviously. 

I don't think they could have included Rashford. They (the BBC) would have been inviting a popular vote of no confidence in government policy (or non-policy) by proxy. It would be far too political. Giving him an award without putting him in a position to receive public votes is a good idea.

It has something to do with popularity in the sense that the populace pick the one they like best, yes. However, for the benefit of viewers from abroad, it's striking how all the little pieces prepared on each finalist discuss their sporting achievements. Fun though it might be to imagine how the BBC might structure such an actual competition of personality and how hilariously cruel it might be, the show doesn't really ask you, the viewer, to rack and stack the facets of their actual personalities by any metric.

(Although obviously people can do that anyway if they want. Heck, they can pick the one that has the best pet* if they like, all the votes count just the same.)

*Roscoe roscoe roscoe roscoe

#17 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 2,129 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:53

Rea has been nominated in previous years. In 2017 he was voted into second place behind Mo Farah.

Which caught them by surprise, and they changed the voting - and he has never been on the list since then, despite continuing his winning streak.

#18 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:11

Ryan Giggs is totally undeserving; 963 games for Manchester United, 64 caps for Wales, captained GB in the 2012 Olympic squad, 34 trophies with Man Utd including 13 premier league titles, 2 champions league titles, 4 FA cups and every other possible trophy. Also won PFA player of the year a couple of times as well. Button found himself in a car that was way faster than anything else on the grid that year after having a completely lacklustre career up until then, and pretty much after it. 

#19 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:12

I'd often wondered!

Advertisement

#20 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:14

Massive omission, IMO.

#21 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:17

Ryan Giggs is totally undeserving; 963 games for Manchester United, 64 caps for Wales, captained GB in the 2012 Olympic squad, 34 trophies with Man Utd including 13 premier league titles, 2 champions league titles, 4 FA cups and every other possible trophy. Also won PFA player of the year a couple of times as well. Button found himself in a car that was way faster than anything else on the grid that year after having a completely lacklustre career up until then, and pretty much after it. 

Last to first in Canda in the wet. :wave:

Edited by cpbell, 02 December 2020 - 11:18.

#22 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:22

I would vote for Lewis, he's entered a new phase since his previous win in 2014 where he's eliminated his remaining weaknesses, exercises strong leadership and is generally in complete command of the sport. The Mercedes team has obviously contributed to a very large extent, but Hamilton is the focal point of the team and I'm confident that without him they wouldn't have done a clean sweep of the hybrid era so far.

Cricket, boxing and horses aren't really my thing but all the nominees sound like worthy winners.

#23 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:26

You'd think Lewis was a shoe-in for this, but I don't think he's the most popular of individuals outside of diehard F1 fans. There's the issue (rightly or wrongly) about where he lives that rubs a lot of people up the wrong way, and his unfortunate reputation of having said some rather daft things in the past. Was it last year when he referred to his home town as a slum, or was that the year before? I honestly can't remember now.

It'd be nice to see Ronnie win it.

Edited by JHSingo, 02 December 2020 - 11:26.

#24 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:41

Last to first in Canda in the wet. :wave:

I take it all back!

#25 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:42

You'd think Lewis was a shoe-in for this, but I don't think he's the most popular of individuals outside of diehard F1 fans. There's the issue (rightly or wrongly) about where he lives that rubs a lot of people up the wrong way, and his unfortunate reputation of having said some rather daft things in the past. Was it last year when he referred to his home town as a slum, or was that the year before? I honestly can't remember now.

It'd be nice to see Ronnie win it.

You might have a point, looking on social media he is described as a go kart racer and a poor mans Stobart driver. The general consensus is that Marcus Rashford is the most deserving. 

#26 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,247 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:45

I’m still angry about that. I would have accepted anyone else that year over Button, but it went to the least deserving one on the list.

I hope Hamilton wins it again. Partially because I think he deserves it, but also because he’s the only one this year I really know.

Giggs winning SPOTY really aged like milk didn't it.

#27 andyscoot

andyscoot

• 1,156 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:46

The sport that is most popular with the demographic most likely to vote will win it, always has and always will. Then you have the problem of smaller sports either being unknown quantities to the public or their achievements being seen as lesser because less song and a dance being made about it.

Kevin Sinfield captained his side to every cup available in the 2015 Rugby League season, but he was never going to win it because it's a small sport compared to Andy Murray's achievements in tennis. I feel similar to Ronnie O'Sullivan; his achievements are remarkable but not enough people care about the sport.  

Lewis has visibility as F1 is a huge sport, but a large portion of people find him unpleasant for varying reasons. I think Tyson could get it.

#28 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,606 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:52

Fury will win it but I'm not really sure he deserves it. Lewis just doesn't have the support of the wider public to win it.

#29 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,397 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:53

It has something to do with popularity in the sense that the populace pick the one they like best, yes. 

Yes, that is what I meant. I think Lewis has to be the most famous person on that list, even in the UK. The popularity, and general awareness, of the sport is probably also part of it in terms of motivating people to vote. F1 is well placed in that sense. 

#30 hodgy21

hodgy21

• 1,207 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:55

You might have a point, looking on social media he is described as a go kart racer and a poor mans Stobart driver. The general consensus is that Marcus Rashford is the most deserving. 

You really shouldn't get your opinions about people from social media.

#31 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:06

What did Giggs do that year though that was better than Button?

#32 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:14

Fury will win it but I'm not really sure he deserves it. Lewis just doesn't have the support of the wider public to win it.

This. Lewis will come second, even though boxing is barbaric and, like horse racing, shouldn't be classed as sport.

Oh well, there's always a next time.

#33 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:15

What did Giggs do that year though that was better than Button?

I don't think it's illegitimate to take previous years into account, especially as the same people aren't nominated every year.

Of course if you could take future years into account they never would've given it to Giggs.

#34 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,099 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:23

Don’t think Ronnie O’Sullivan will be too pleased if Lewis beats him to it! Quote :-

“I wouldn’t have felt as good about my career in snooker if I had been playing on a table where the pockets I was using were bigger than my opponent’s.

“At least in snooker everyone has the same equipment and it is totally a level playing field. I don’t choose my opponents or the table.

“It is fantastic for Lewis to win seven world titles, but if your car is going around quicker you can afford to make a few mistakes and still get away with it. It’s a bit like driving around smoking a cigar with one finger on the wheel!”

#35 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,397 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:36

Don’t think Ronnie O’Sullivan will be too pleased if Lewis beats him to it! Quote :-

“I wouldn’t have felt as good about my career in snooker if I had been playing on a table where the pockets I was using were bigger than my opponent’s.

“At least in snooker everyone has the same equipment and it is totally a level playing field. I don’t choose my opponents or the table.

“It is fantastic for Lewis to win seven world titles, but if your car is going around quicker you can afford to make a few mistakes and still get away with it. It’s a bit like driving around smoking a cigar with one finger on the wheel!”

Good old Ronnie.  :lol:

#36 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:39

There were only two credible candidates for this year's award - Lewis Hamilton (for both his off-track activities and his unparalleled on-track success) and Marcus Rashford (for combining a respectable sporting career with doing more for the country than the vast majority of our elected politicians).

Now that Rashford hasn't been nominated, the only question is whether Hamilton takes the win or whether the voting public embarrasses themselves. Hamilton holds the record for second place finishes, so the latter might be a massive surprise...

Like a few others here, that's the main thing I think of when I think about poor SPOTY decisions.

It's not that Giggs wasn't a successful footballer (F1matt lists some of his achievements in the years running up to 2008), it's that he hadn't done anything in 2009 to compare to Button's fairytale year. I struggle to believe that any of the voters ringing in from Wales or Surrey genuinely thought he'd had a great year rather than simply wanting to celebrate his career at United and Wales!

#37 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:43

There were only two credible candidates for this year's award - Lewis Hamilton (for both his off-track activities and his unparalleled on-track success) and Marcus Rashford (for combining a respectable sporting career with doing more for the country than the vast majority of our elected politicians).

Now that Rashford hasn't been nominated, the only question is whether Hamilton takes the win or whether the voting public embarrasses themselves. Hamilton holds the record for second place finishes, so the latter might be a massive surprise...

Like a few others here, that's the main thing I think of when I think about poor SPOTY decisions.

It's not that Giggs wasn't a successful footballer (F1matt lists some of his achievements in the years running up to 2008), it's that he hadn't done anything in 2009 to compare to Button's fairytale year. I struggle to believe that any of the voters ringing in from Wales or Surrey genuinely thought he'd had a great year rather than simply wanting to celebrate his career at United and Wales!

I suppose in some ways it had parallels with how people voting for Hamilton are bound to be influenced by how he has equalled the record of most world titles won even though (obviously) most of them weren't achieved this year.

Still think it's difficult to know how to reward an individual in a team game like football but then does it really matter.

#38 pdac

pdac

• 17,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:57

But he won it a few years ago. Has the wider public changed that much?

#39 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,775 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 14:02

Fury will win it but I'm not really sure he deserves it.

Actually, he doesn't appear to want it.

‘I’m the people's champion’: Tyson Fury asks BBC to take him off Spoty list

I'm trying to work out whether this is massive egotism or just getting his excuses in first. This way he gets to say either:

"Thank you to all my fans for ignoring what I said, which i now realise was incredibly silly" if he wins it anyway

or

"Thank you to all my fans for not voting for me. I'm still the people's champion and this proves it."

In any case, with boxing being on PPV in the UK it's just another sport which no longer has the reach it once did.

Advertisement

#40 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,751 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 14:09

I stopped watching this rubbish after Giggs won instead of Button - imagine Hami will come 3rd or something.  F1 hardly gets a mention on there theses days. 

It stopped being about sporting achievement years ago - now its just entertainment and the usual bucket load of BBC box ticking..

Edited by Red5ive, 02 December 2020 - 14:11.

#41 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,653 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 14:40

Sportsperson of the year. Bosh. Done. Really easy.

#42 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 1,205 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 14:42

The LFC fan in me wants it for Hendo

#43 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 14:43

I find it fascinating how many in the UK care about it

#44 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 14:45

Out of the 6 contenders do the BBC actually cover any of the sport that they participate in? 

Lewis Hamilton: Skysports & Channel 4

Tyson Fury: PPV on sky or BT sports

Jordan Henderson: Sky Sports & BT Sport

Stuart Broad: Sky Sports & Channel 4

Hollie Doyle: ITV & Sky Sports

Ronnie O'Sullivan: Eurosport & BBC

They should be embarrassed to give any awards for sport given that they wont invest in any. 

#45 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 14:51

Out of the 6 contenders do the BBC actually cover any of the sport that they participate in? 

Lewis Hamilton: Skysports & Channel 4

Tyson Fury: PPV on sky or BT sports

Jordan Henderson: Sky Sports & BT Sport

Stuart Broad: Sky Sports & Channel 4

Hollie Doyle: ITV & Sky Sports

Ronnie O'Sullivan: Eurosport & BBC

They should be embarrassed to give any awards for sport given that they wont invest in any. 

to be fair as a publicly funded organisation they have to be careful where they invest and not everyone follows sports.  Some rivals bid stupid money for the privilege to cover and the BBC doesn't necessarily have the resources to compete.  I don't think it's a lack of willingness, exactly, just a question of budgets

#46 rf90

rf90

• 936 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 14:52

Shame Johhny Rae didn't get a nomination

#47 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 14:54

Good old Ronnie.  :lol:

TBH, he's critkicising from a weak position given that snooker is barely a sport.

#48 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,397 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 15:05

TBH, he's critkicising from a weak position given that snooker is barely a sport.

Lewis should tell him that  :) .

#49 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 15:15

Lewis should tell him that  :) .

Given Ronnie's background, doing so might result in a few undesirables taking matters into their own hands - not on Ronnie's suggestion - but his family is not exactly what you'd call remote from "interesting" East End characters.

Edited by cpbell, 02 December 2020 - 15:16.

#50 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 15:17

It's already been announced that Marcus will be getting a special award. He doesn't deserve to be on the shortlist for his football achievements this year (speaking as a Manchester United fan). I'd be shocked if Lewis doesn't win it by a landslide to be honest (and deservedly so), the other nominees are there just to make up the numbers in my opinion.

Is this for 2020 only, or is it 19/20 season for footballers? I'd say his 19/20 season was quite good, but the 2020 part of it hasn't been that much to brag about.

Fulham-fan, but we do quite a lot of Solskjær FC... uhm, Manchester United stuff in Norway!