* * * * - 3 votes

Red Bull Racing Signs Sergio Perez for 2021 [split]

• Please log in to reply
692 replies to this topic

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 20:44

speedweek, which is owned by Red Bull (so, eh, it's nearly as good as a official confirmation), reports that Perez has been signed, and everything points to him being announced tomorrow. Albon stays on as a reserve driver and will work a lot on the set ups in the sim, not impossible that he returns as a regular driver at some point.

https://www.speedwee...rgio-Perez.html

Advertisement

#2 speedx

speedx

• 411 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 20:53

Well, that's it then.

So sorry for Hulk.

#3 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 21:08

Dutch paper Telegraaf reporting the same: https://www.telegraa...red-bull-racing

#4 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 21:21

There it is

#5 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 21:23

Good news!

Its best for Red Bull, great for Perez and better for the sport to have Perez-Verstappen at Red Bull next year

#6 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 21:36

Done deal, it will be announced tomorrow

#7 Celloman

Celloman

• 1,604 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 21:56

Nice. Some very interesting team-mate battles to follow up on next season. Now if Mercedes found a way to replace Bottas with Russell (nothing against Bottas), we'd be talking about a really strong driver line-up for the top teams.

#8 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,721 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 22:02

Oh well, it’s a very good step up from Albon.
I’m happy for F1 and Red Bull 👍

#9 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 22:19

Good news, better lineup for Redbull in 2021.

Shame for Hulk but happy with Perez next to Max.

#10 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 22:30

So if everyone else knows, why hasn’t RB ammounced it...

Hope it’s not a red herring..

#11 GiorgioF1

GiorgioF1

• 1,711 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 22:51

So our prayers have been heard?  :D

This could be bad news for Bottas tho.

Edited by GiorgioF1, 17 December 2020 - 22:51.

#12 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 22:52

I firmly believe the Sakhir win changed RB's mind.

(Right thread this time)

#13 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 3,122 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 22:53

Looks like common sense has prevailed, who'd have thought.

#14 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 22:54

(Right thread this time)

Yep. That was the day they scrapped Mazepin of their list for sure!

#15 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,865 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:00

Good news, but anyone thinking this will paint Max in different light, is I think in for a surprise. Max will badly dominate Perez. Perez might have 2021 seat, but his 2022 could be in danger after Max finishes with him.

#16 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:07

(Right thread this time)

You really think they would have retained Albon had Perez not won there? I doubt it.

#17 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:09

Good news, but anyone thinking this will paint Max in different light, is I think in for a surprise. Max will badly dominate Perez. Perez might have 2021 seat, but his 2022 could be in danger after Max finishes with him.

He's not been brought in to beat Max, and I doubt anybody would expect him to either, but he can deliver results a car is capable of, which is not something Albon came anywhere close to doing.  Having another driver with experience may also aid development.

#18 pdac

pdac

• 17,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:22

So, do we start the 'How long will Perez last at Red Bull?' thread now?

Or, leave it for a couple of days?  :)

Now, I think.

#19 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:24

Not what I wanted, but it shows Red Bull are serious about 2021.  :up:

Advertisement

#20 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,865 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:32

He's not been brought in to beat Max, and I doubt anybody would expect him to either, but he can deliver results a car is capable of, which is not something Albon came anywhere close to doing. Having another driver with experience may also aid development.

Not beat, he wont be close. I expect RB to be 2nd fastest car, but 3rd/4th fastest could outqualify Perez and make it tough for Max as far as strat goes like in time of Albon.

Lets wait and see but that RP was far better car then even Perez drove it. Perez is good consistant driver, but his raw pace and qualifying speed is lacking and it is imperative they lock at least 2nd row to bother Mercs. Can Perez do it? I dont think so. Not week in week out.

#21 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 806 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:45

It was the only decision they could make. Let's hope for Sergio's sake he's at least getting a two-year deal (at minimum a 1+1 option deal). I guess that's Albon off to AT in 2022 when Gasly moves out. If they still had long-term plans for him they would have promoted him back after the year he's had.

Edited by Maikel0230, 17 December 2020 - 23:46.

#22 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:46

Joe seems to think it's a one year deal https://joesaward.wo...impression=true

#23 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,027 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:46

Lets wait and see but that RP was far better car then even Perez drove it. 

You state this as a fact - but we don't know.

You could say that the Red Bull is a far better car than Max drove it - and be equally right or wrong.

#24 Maikel0230

Maikel0230

• 806 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:48

Joe seems to think it's a one year deal https://joesaward.wo...impression=true

What could that 2022 contract elsewhere elude to?

#25 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:51

What could that 2022 contract elsewhere elude to?

Williams is my guess

#26 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:58

Perez very well may get exposed by Max and show how much that Merc copy was wasted with Perez/Stroll driving over the course of the season (Not talking about one race or two race events)

Perez will do better than Albon at least and should be a big upgrade and get some results? But I doubt he will be anywhere near Max.

Edited by ForzaFormula, 17 December 2020 - 23:59.

#27 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,493 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 23:59

Not beat, he wont be close. I expect RB to be 2nd fastest car, but 3rd/4th fastest could outqualify Perez and make it tough for Max as far as strat goes like in time of Albon.

Lets wait and see but that RP was far better car then even Perez drove it. Perez is good consistant driver, but his raw pace and qualifying speed is lacking and it is imperative they lock at least 2nd row to bother Mercs. Can Perez do it? I dont think so. Not week in week out.

If any driver was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Max was, his talent suggests to even the casual on looker his a 10X WDC. Come on Horner deliver a car that is suitable to command such a driver.  Perez is an after thought! 

Edited by YoungGun, 18 December 2020 - 00:01.

#28 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 00:18

See my profile picture; imagine me happy. Reality, i am not. 

Verstappen in my opinion is the best driver on the grid, i believe that so much that i wager my house and my socks that he's the next WDC once Lewis stops slamming his hammer on it. 
I also believe that the 2nd seat at RedBull is not the same car that Max drives. Do both statements contradict themselves? Well time will now tell.

One would imagine that Checo's performance cannot serious drop lower than this year. he missed out on 4 race finishes, and 3 (if not more) of them he was set for big points but then pits and himself made errors. Yet he still finished 4th. He finished ahead of Albon in a car that finished behind him also. 
All Checo literally has to do, is challenge Bottas; which honestly is the whole point i believe. To get the positions that max loses by DNF's and to challenge Bottas. 
EVEN SO! This still means the chance of him getting curb stomped by Verstappen; and no driver wants to be remembers as the no.2 driver, no matter the circumstance. 
Checo was going to leave a hero that could have been. Now, if he may be the next victim to what is the curse of Max Verstappen. 

I do feed into this prediction that if Checo doesn't challenge Bottas, and does worse than in AM god forbid, then he gets the boot and Albon is back in after the mid break. If this happens, i do feel like he's going to leave the sport for good, and with a tarnish. 
Plus, if a driver that has been deemed an arguable goat of the midfield this entire decade, is still not able to challenge Verstappen; then i fully 100% also predict that Max won't just go on to win 1WDC, but well... if you thought eight from Lewis was bad....
It will also confirm that the 2nd seat in that team will forever be a career killer. Lucky Danny Ric did a good job leaving on his own; and Sainz holy smokes; even i'd rather be in that Ferrari.
If all this does prove out to be this way, than if i was Tsunoda, i'd be making calls to Honda or Toyota to please, PLEASE, create a team for me to join..  :rotfl:

Edited by JTSaika, 18 December 2020 - 00:22.

#29 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,265 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 00:24

Im really pleased for Perez if he has got the drive, and I’m keen to see how he gets in against Max. I don’t think he will be on Max’s level but I do hope at last we will see the second Red Bull car in play at most races again.

If he’s got another seat wrapped up for 2022 the only place I could see it is being at Williams?

As for Albon. I just don’t think he did anything like enough. Maybe harsh on him the way he’s been through the Red Bull machine and come out on then wrong side when maybe his promotion was too rushed. Same as Gasly and perhaps Kvyat might argue in their defences.

As for the Red Bull junior programme, it’s there to support the main race team with prepared drivers, and promoting its drivers before they are ready is basically the tail wagging the dog. It’s good news if RB are at last looking outside it for the best interests of the race team.

#30 Celloman

Celloman

• 1,604 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 00:26

I do feed into this prediction that if Checo doesn't challenge Bottas, and does worse than in AM god forbid, then he gets the boot and Albon is back in after the mid break. If this happens, i do feel like he's going to leave the sport for good, and with a tarnish.

But, but... if you believe Albon is not driving the same car a Max, surely it means Perez will also get a "worse" car. So the same excuse you just gave for Albon is valid for Perez as well. If he's half a second off Max it must now be the leftover spec car and Red Bull knows this, so what's the problem with Checo being slower, surely he can't be anywhere close to Max if he doesn't even get the same equipment?  :stoned:

Edited by Celloman, 18 December 2020 - 00:29.

#31 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,348 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 00:27

On the other hand, what if PER beats VER?  :drunk: maybe the durch wonderboy is just an ordinary driver, too.

#32 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 00:31

But but... if you believe Albon is not driving the same car a Max, surely it means Perez will also get a "worse" car. So the same excuse you just gave for Albon is valid for Perez as well. If he's half a second off Max it must now be the B-spec car and Red Bull know they are giving Checo a worse car by purpose, so what's the problem with him being slower?  :stoned:

It is a bit of a complexity. I mean, in a world where it went Max - Perez - Albon - Stroll.  Is it far off expect Max - Vettel - Perez - Stroll?
Perez needs to make sure he beats those AM's, BOTH of them, and then he atleast needs to show he can challenge Bottas. 
I'm suggesting that the car is simply unable to follow the no.1 driver (Max/Vettel), but my point stands that he needs to do better than Albon has. He also 100% needs to make sure, as i said, he beats Vettel; because if he doesn't!!!. CyaLaterrrrChecoooooo

Edited by JTSaika, 18 December 2020 - 00:36.

#33 SparkPlug86

SparkPlug86

• 1,946 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:12

On the other hand, what if PER beats VER?  :drunk: maybe the durch wonderboy is just an ordinary driver, too.

I would laugh my head off if that happened...  :stoned:

#34 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:19

On the other hand, what if PER beats VER? :drunk: maybe the durch wonderboy is just an ordinary driver, too.

Nothing ordinary about him. But what could happen is - if Perez gets too close, too often - it will put a serious crack in the "God like" image Verstappen has had around him for years. In many ways Verstappen is viewed as untouchable.

It's a long shot though. Sergio literally has to hit the ground running to even stand a chance.

#35 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:04

It's a long shot though. Sergio literally has to hit the ground running to even stand a chance.

Aaaaand that is my concern... Sergio rarely begins a season strongly. He normally takes a few races to start delivering. By then the pressure from Red Bull may be too much or their mind made too early.

#36 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:50

Aaaaand that is my concern... Sergio rarely begins a season strongly. He normally takes a few races to start delivering. By then the pressure from Red Bull may be too much or their mind made too early.

That's a mis conception. Whilst he does appear to perform better consistently later into the season; it's actually the fact that his cars used to hit their 'main upgrade' midway into the season. At one point FI was running their then 'last years' car for half a year. This has happened countless times. 
On the other end of the spectrum, his second season he scored the 2nd step on his 2nd race, and his first year with FI; of which he stated he went into the year waiting for it to be over, he got the third step on his third race. 
As for this year specifically, he went into it sick (not Covid) and someone in his family was on deaths door so his mind was entirely removed. 

It's never been that Checo starts slow, it's that FI had the habit of doing so; what with their limited funding. 

Edited by JTSaika, 18 December 2020 - 02:51.

#37 baddog

baddog

• 29,694 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:53

Well should be fun to see. Lots of unanswered questions.

Can Perez qualify well?

Has the 2020 car flattered him or he it? 

Will the ego resurface now he has this big promotion?

What will Aston Martin do and how will that paint his 2020?

#38 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:56

It's never been that Checo starts slow, it's that FI had the habit of doing so; what with their limited funding. 

Not so sure... same happened at Macca.  Started a bit slow but by the mid to end of season he was matching Button.

We'll see how it pans out.

#39 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:58

Will the ego resurface now he has this big promotion?

I don't think so... he should know he's treading on thin ice and it's also his biggest challenge so far.

Advertisement

#40 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,172 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:11

I've split this off from the Albon topic, which, should this announcement be confirmed tomorrow (today?), will probably be closed.

Carry on!

#41 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:29

Not so sure... same happened at Macca.  Started a bit slow but by the mid to end of season he was matching Button.

We'll see how it pans out.

I wouldn't say that was Checo starting slow. It was him being pressured by the all mighty kings and gods that were McLaren; of which Perez was spoon fed to spout every 5 seconds in interviews. He went from a Sauber to a team that outright told him 'You should win a title, nothing more, nothing less, GOT IT!!?'.
He's matured now, so even though there's obviously pressure on him from RedBull, i think he will let his driving do the talking this time and if it doesn't work out, 'eh'; instead of whatever it was he was attempting to do in that McLaren. 
I think he'll be strong from the get go. 

#42 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,166 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 03:35

Dutch media has a new villain

#43 MasterOfCoin

MasterOfCoin

• 4,991 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:22

He's not been brought in to beat Max, and I doubt anybody would expect him to either, but he can deliver results a car is capable of, which is not something Albon came anywhere close to doing.  Having another driver with experience may also aid development.

Max now has a competent wingman...  ;)

#44 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 04:42

Max now has a competent wingman...  ;)

He might have a competent team mate, he ain't got a wingman, just ask Ocon  :rotfl:

#45 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:35

Great news, great guy and driver. He is going to give Verstappen some trouble from time to time.

#46 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 05:36

Great news, great guy and driver. He is going to give Verstappen some trouble from time to time.

Hopefully so!

And hopefully Max can still learn a trick or 2 from ‘old Perez’.

#47 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:02

A pair of macho drivers!  How often will they take each other out next year?

More proof that Marko's involvement in RB hasn't been an outstanding success and has probably held them back.  Time for him to go.

#48 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:09

Great stuff, I'm properly hyped about this :up: ! It's a no brainer really, Perez is very experienced, not too old, one of the best drivers on Sunday and brings some cash on top of it.

Edited by Jovanotti, 18 December 2020 - 06:09.

#49 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,953 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:13

As a f1 fan how can you not be happy to see Checo on the grid next season.

#50 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:21

Great to witness some semblance of reason still exists in RBR management.

As for the intra-team battle - I'll have salsa with my popcorn, thank you very much.

cat-ate-popcorn-kernels.jpg