Steve Hirst

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jhdrussell

Jhdrussell

• 88 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:16

A

Edited by Jhdrussell, 12 November 2021 - 18:46.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:26

Sad news. I still have my copy, although I’ve referred to it so much that the binding has now completely disintegrated and most of the pages fall out. For some years I continued to keep my own records from where Steve left off, in the style he had used. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

#3 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,213 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 14:11

Gosh, that's terribly sad news. My last correspondence with him was only on the 23rd November where he was interested in the Robert O'Brien information.

Steve provided a number of race results for the Ginther book and was looking forward to the Spence book as well.

Very sad to hear this.

#4 dgs

dgs

• 251 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 14:13

To many Steve Hirst's  book Grand Prix Chronology was the 'trigger' to collecting Grand Prix data. 

As mentioned by others, before Steve's book  not many accurate records available on Grand Prix's.

I considered Steve a good friend, and all though I never met him, I had many email conversations with him over the years.

2020 was going to be the year we met , at either Prescott or Shelsley Walsh. Steve (like me) was an avid hill climb enthusiast. But because of Covid-19 it never happened.

Rest in peace Steve   

#5 dgs

dgs

• 251 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 14:38

To many Steve Hirst's  book Grand Prix Chronology was the 'trigger' to collecting Grand Prix data. 

As mentioned by others, before Steve's book  not many accurate records available on Grand Prix's.

I considered Steve a good friend, and all though I never met him, I had many email conversations with him over the years.

2020 was going to be the year we met , at either Prescott or Shelsley Walsh. Steve (like me) was an avid hill climb enthusiast. But because of Covid-19 it never happened.

Rest in peace Steve   

It should have read, we never met at Prescott or Shelsley Walsh in 2020 due to Covid19 restrictions..

I do not know the reason for Steve's death

#6 DavidHay1

DavidHay1

• 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:27

I first met Steve in the early 1990s and bumped into him a lot as he was always at Goodwood events and also in the British GP paddock where we often wandered into a motorhome for refreshments. In the past few years, I was pleased that we arranged to meet for a good breakfast at my hotel in Blackpool in the summer. This provided for a much more relaxed situation.

Steve had an amazing collection of autographs and I have a picture of him, just having acquired Mike Hawthorn's in 1956. Following on from his book Grand Prix Chronology, he kept very detailed F1 records, not just race results but information on the progress of every driver and all penalties and peculiarities in each Grand Prix.

He never had further ambitions to publish any of that, but was always happy to answer any queries I had and he injected fun into the subject.

It was because he had gone silent that prompted me to phone his home before Christmas. That was when his son John told me the sad news.

R.I.P. Steve

#7 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:24

Welcome to TNF, David!

Would you mind to ask John for his father's birth date?

I would like to have it when I list Steve Hirst's passing in my "Gone but not forgotten" thread.

Edited by ReWind, 10 January 2021 - 12:24.

#8 DavidHay1

DavidHay1

• 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 11:20

I've not been in touch with John since, only to send a sympathy card and a letter. I wouldn't wish to trouble him for the moment, but should John contact me, I will ask for Steve's birth details. I found that his name was John Stephen Hirst, confirmed on ancestry.com in his marriage record. My own research suggests a likely birth date October 1942 in Bucklow, Cheshire, but not certain.