* * * * - 8 votes

Alpine F1 Team - 2021 Team Thread

• Please log in to reply
4262 replies to this topic

#1 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 15:39

To kick off the thread we have the latest rumour in the seemingly neverending management reshuffle: 

Suzuki MotoGP chief Brivio linked with Alpine F1 role

Davide Brivio, the man who helped lead Suzuki to MotoGP title glory in 2020, has been linked with a shock move to join the rebranded Alpine Formula 1 team. The Italian has earned huge respect in MotoGP, where his recent success with Suzuki has come after a lengthy career that delivered multiple world championships for Yamaha too.

Although there has been no official confirmation of the move nor his departure from Suzuki, sources have indicated that a move to a senior position within Alpine could be on the cards.

There is mounting speculation that a new team management structure at Alpine is being considered, with current team boss Cyril Abiteboul moving to a senior role within the Alpine organisation. That could leave the door open for executive director Marcin Budkowski to take over as team principal, with Brivio potentially taking a CEO type role to oversee the wider operations.

Edited by Anja, 06 January 2021 - 15:44.

Advertisement

#2 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 15:44

i guess it's de meo direct input right there

#3 eREr

eREr

• 2,541 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 16:05

To kick off the thread we have the latest rumour in the seemingly neverending management reshuffle: 

Suzuki MotoGP chief Brivio linked with Alpine F1 role

Sounds good.  :up:

This is also a '21 movement: https://twitter.com/...751017413734400

And thanks for the new topic.   ;)

#4 eREr

eREr

• 2,541 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 16:41

Brand new PU for '21 (by AS.com, so...)?

https://www.gpblog.c...-for-years.html

#5 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 16:51

I pray to god that Alonso become 3 time champ in 2022 after Max in 2021  ;)

#6 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 17:05

New engine this year would make the most sense to me.  Alonso told the team to focus everything on the new regs. There is too much risk for an all new and unproven engine architecture to debut only in '22 when the engine freezes will take place. They could get stuck with something they do not like.  '21 should only be used to benefit '22.  And they have the benefit of not having to supply customer teams which allows them to take more risk with the engine design.

Edited by ARTGP, 06 January 2021 - 17:09.

#7 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 17:07

tenor.gif

#8 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 17:18

New engine this year would make the most sense to me.  Alonso told the team to focus everything on the new regs. There is too much risk for an all new and unproven engine architecture to debut only in '22 when the engine freezes will take place. They could get stuck with something they do not like.  '21 should only be used to benefit '22.  And they have the benefit of not having to supply customer teams which allows them to take more risk with the engine design.

Yep. They'll take everything they can get in '21, of course ... but the team and Alonso have both said this year is focused mainly on development for '22.

#9 Amz964

Amz964

• 1,402 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 17:33

Well let's hope but I know Viryfan said that the new engine was specifically designed for the new regs but if somehow they can fit it to the current car would be good as Merc and honda are bringing good performance over the winter apparently.

#10 Neno

Neno

• 2,384 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 17:51

If they can bring engine just to experiment it's good thing. They will have year of experience for rear design of 2022 car. Because anything else is damn miracle giving they are forced putting 2022 engine into 2019 chassis. 

#11 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,647 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 18:01

I am very confused on the token system next year.  I thought introducing a new engine would take the team's limited tokens, meaning Renault couldn't modify the rear suspension of the car?

#12 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 18:15

I am very confused on the token system next year.  I thought introducing a new engine would take the team's limited tokens, meaning Renault couldn't modify the rear suspension of the car?

No, I think the tokens are for the car, not the PU.  They are allowed one PU upgrade before the season starts and then may use the tokens how they see fit.

McLaren may have added to the confusion: because they are taking a whole new PU architecture by changing suppliers, they have been granted a special deal whereby they are allowed to make limited chassis modifications that they can demonstrate are necessary for accommodating the new PU, in exchange for forfeiting the performance  tokens.  But Renault themselves aren't changing supplier so they shouldn't need a similar deal just for a PU upgrade

#13 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 21:22

Yep. They'll take everything they can get in '21, of course ... but the team and Alonso have both said this year is focused mainly on development for '22.

Except 2021 has nothing to do with 2022.. extremely little carry over and even tire data to transfer.

Sorry, but that's a smokescreen to setting the bar low.

If they can't build a great car in 2021, they won't be able to in 2022... you don't just suddenly build a good car in the modern era of F1.  

Edited by Paco, 06 January 2021 - 21:39.

#14 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,685 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 22:09

Except 2021 has nothing to do with 2022.. extremely little carry over and even tire data to transfer.

Sorry, but that's a smokescreen to setting the bar low.

If they can't build a great car in 2021, they won't be able to in 2022... you don't just suddenly build a good car in the modern era of F1.

They aren't saying that they are not going to try to build a good car for 2021. They are saying that they're not going to spend a lot of time and money developing it throughout the year at the expense of planning and designing the 2022 car.

I'm sure that could change if they were suddenly very competitive at the top in 2021.

#15 eREr

eREr

• 2,541 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:22

Brivio has left Suzuki, it's official. Waiting for Renault's announcement(s).

https://www.planetf1...de-brivio-exit/

Edited by eREr, 07 January 2021 - 09:23.

#16 vee10

vee10

• 901 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:32

:wave:

Edited by vee10, 07 January 2021 - 10:33.

#17 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:48

How do F1 and MotoGP teams compare in terms of budget and operation size? I'm not familiar. It's not a usual transition if my memory serves me right.

#18 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:58

No idea how Brivio will contribute coming from MotoGP

#19 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:08

It's not that different from other category switches. Seidl is doing well at McLaren coming from WEC, Todt was responsible for rallying and endurance before Ferrari - just to name some examples. Management skills in racing are pretty universal, it's not like he'll be designing the car. 

Advertisement

#20 StevoCBR

StevoCBR

• 20 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:09

Does that matter in a management role?  Flavio Briatore was a restaurant manager and insurance salesman originally for example.

Edited by StevoCBR, 07 January 2021 - 11:12.

#21 Beri

Beri

• 11,664 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:11

Brivio has left Suzuki, it's official. Waiting for Renault's Alpine's announcement(s).

https://www.planetf1...de-brivio-exit/

Fixed it for you.

#22 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:18

Does that matter in a management role?  Flavio Briatore was a restaurant manager and insurance salesman originally for example.

Fair point. But still, MotoGP and F1 are both motorsport yet two very different worlds, might get some things mixed up

Fixed it for you.

They're still Renault group, Alpine is just a brand that they will use

#23 eREr

eREr

• 2,541 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 14:15

Fixed it for you.

Doesn't really matter.  ;)

Anyway this is the hp of Alpine where all you can check and see the whole motorsport programs of Alpine (F1, LMP1, LMP2, GT4, etc.) :

https://www.alpinecars.com/en

Edited by eREr, 07 January 2021 - 14:16.

#24 rootten

rootten

• 1,889 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 16:06

from what Pat Fry is saying, they'll not be changing the engine next season:

Asked where the focus for the team's new challenger would be, he said: "Other than nose, chassis, engine and gearbox, we're looking at reviewing most of it. I think it'll be the same for everyone.

https://www.motorspo...enault/4936026/

#25 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,921 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:39

https://www.google.c...e-the-lead.html

Cyril out of the team?

#26 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:18

A minor tease of Alpine’s new livery? Looks to be a representation of the French flag.

https://www.gpblog.c...-look-like.html

#27 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:38

Cyril Abiteboul is taking over the running of Alpine car marker.

#28 ch103

ch103

• 2,039 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 15:49

How do F1 and MotoGP teams compare in terms of budget and operation size? I'm not familiar. It's not a usual transition if my memory serves me right.

Brivio is the right man for Alpine.  He oversaw Suzuki execute the 'giant slayer' in 2020 with the underfunded, under resourced Suzuki team beating goliaths like Honda, Yamaha and Ducati.  I'm very concerned for Suzuki and as an Alonso fan this signing makes me happy.

#29 ch103

ch103

• 2,039 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 15:51

His leadership and ability to motivate others to believe in themselves is what Brivio does.  The guy can get people to walk across hot coals.  Cyril on the other hand, hand the mental toughness to lead Renault through Red Bull's PR smears and he did it very well.  But a guy like Brivio will set this team up to slay giants.

#30 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 15:54

His leadership and ability to motivate others to believe in themselves is what Brivio does.  The guy can get people to walk across hot coals.  Cyril on the other hand, hand the mental toughness to lead Renault through Red Bull's PR smears and he did it very well.  But a guy like Brivio will set this team up to slay giants.

F1 has a whole different level of competition though... also last season of MotoGP has been extremely bizzarre and Marquez has been out all season with a devastating injury, otherwise Suzuki would've not probably won anything and that situation will never happen in F1.

#31 Neno

Neno

• 2,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 16:00

Renault, now Alpine is continuing making small but key moves in leadership department. It started with getting Pat Fry, firing and in process hiring new head of aero, and now getting a succesful team boss. But more importantly we have overall de Meo at helm instead a guy who has no ambition in making anything out brand but taking up profits. Hence why Alonso returned. 

Maybe it's good regulations got delayed in Renault case. It's a extra year for this cog to start spinning right way out the gate. 

#32 ch103

ch103

• 2,039 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 16:16

F1 has a whole different level of competition though... also last season of MotoGP has been extremely bizzarre and Marquez has been out all season with a devastating injury, otherwise Suzuki would've not probably won anything and that situation will never happen in F1.

Both are prototype series but I get your point, budgets are bigger in F1 than in MotoGP, it is true.  While MM93 was out the entire year, so too was Schumacher in 1999.  Does that make McLaren & Mika's title any less valuable?  Not at all.  Its motorsports, accidents and injuries are part of the game unfortunately.  Watch how Brivio gets the Alpine team to believe in themselves and ignore all of the outside noise.  

#33 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 16:20

Both are prototype series but I get your point, budgets are bigger in F1 than in MotoGP, it is true.  While MM93 was out the entire year, so too was Schumacher in 1999.  Does that make McLaren & Mika's title any less valuable?  Not at all.  Its motorsports, accidents and injuries are part of the game unfortunately.  Watch how Brivio gets the Alpine team to believe in themselves and ignore all of the outside noise.  

Yeah MotoGP is a whole different world, bikes aren't dominant, the rider makes a heck of a lot more difference, and there is no Mercedes-like ultra dominant team in MotoGP.

Hope Brivio, Alpine and Alonso do well anyway!

#34 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 16:53

Why is management magically different because the vehicles are different?  He isn't a designer, he isn't making driver decisions, he is managing very similar people in a very similar environment.  We see in business all the time good managers thriving in different sectors. 

Flavio and Toto came from outside, Otmar came from a different part of the auto world, Andreas from LM, and numerous current bosses managed junior teams that are worlds away from Grand Prix and MotoGP factory teams.

Edited by Nathan, 09 January 2021 - 16:56.

#35 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 16:58

Why is management magically different because the vehicles are different?  He isn't a designer, he isn't making driver decisions, he is managing very similar people in a very similar environment.  We see in business all the time good managers thriving in different sectors. 

Flavio and Toto came from outside, Otmar came from a different part of the auto world, Andreas from LM, and numerous current bosses managed junior teams that are worlds away from Grand Prix and MotoGP factory teams.

I know but in this case Brivio has spent all his life in motorcycle stuff

Flavio and Toto have been car guys all their lives

We'll see, good luck to them

#36 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 17:18

Flavio was selling t shirts

#37 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,801 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 18:36

This is quite short sighted.  Brivio was wanted regardless of the Suzuki result. He worked together with De Meo (the Renault CEO) in the past. He is highly regarded as a manager. Not sure what the desperation to claim he's going to be out of his depth is...MotoGP is arguably more competitive than Formula 1. 

Edited by ARTGP, 09 January 2021 - 18:38.

#38 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,801 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 18:39

and you don't think Brivio is a petrol head too? Flavio, and Toto don't design cars. Neither will Brivio.

Edited by ARTGP, 09 January 2021 - 18:40.

#39 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 19:03

This is quite short sighted.  Brivio was wanted regardless of the Suzuki result. He worked together with De Meo (the Renault CEO) in the past. He is highly regarded as a manager. Not sure what the desperation to claim he's going to be out of his depth is...MotoGP is arguably more competitive than Formula 1. 

Never said he is going to be out of his depth. Calm down  ;)

Advertisement

#40 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,801 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 19:29

Never said he is going to be out of his depth. Calm down  ;)

Yeah MotoGP is a whole different world, bikes aren't dominant, the rider makes a heck of a lot more difference, and there is no Mercedes-like ultra dominant team in MotoGP.

Hope Brivio, Alpine and Alonso do well anyway!

Make up your mind then.

Edited by ARTGP, 09 January 2021 - 19:30.

#41 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 20:01

Make up your mind then.

It's true though, not necessarily meaning what you suggested

#42 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,127 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 03:56

Flavio was selling t shirts

They were car T shirts....😂

#43 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,288 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 13:47

Abiteboul is gone

https://twitter.com/...9606882304?s=19

#44 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 13:58

completely unexpected from viry's street insider echos

#45 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,826 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 14:13

But did he get his tattoo?

#46 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,801 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 14:15

Abiteboul is a racer.  Being "promoted" to an internal position in the roadcar division is a demotion in his eyes. It was never going to work.

It's like people thinking Toto will take up a position within Mercedes, and he turned that down. These guys don't want to shill road cars.

Edited by ARTGP, 11 January 2021 - 14:18.

#47 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 14:21

Alonso rings the changes.

Just kidding  :p

#48 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 14:26

completely unexpected from viry's street insider echos

It seems so, they're usually very accurate!

#49 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,801 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 14:26

Alonso rings the changes.

Just kidding  :p

You are tempting fate  :lol:

#50 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,646 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 14:32

Someone found his Polaroid stash I think. :p