* * * * - 8 votes

Alpine F1 Team - 2021 Team Thread

• Please log in to reply
4262 replies to this topic

#3601 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,902 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 10:15

Alonso did well in this race after a poor qualy and nothing was expected from Ocon, so an OK race. pace is not there in the last races, sadly.

Advertisement

#3602 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,799 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 10:34

The Alonso onboard of the start with Bottas suddenly appearing from a wall of smoke and pointing right at Alonso was a bit of a WTF moment

#3603 engineblock1

engineblock1

• 1,064 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 12:39

Just take me out back and shoot me  :lol: .

If not for Ricciardo/Bottas and Tsunoda, I doubt there would have been points on offer.

The only cars slower than Alpine this weekend in race trim were Williams and Haas. Indeed the points collection is a massive surprise.

However the team and its strategists have in general done also a great job this season which is hard to ignore. Makes me wonder if being in midfield makes it easy to make good calculated strategic calls or Alpine race strategy team has read most of the weekends very well. Coupled with experience of Alonso, this has probably got the team some more points than could have been possible on merit.

As example Alfa Romeo put Gio on a poor strategy who dropped behind ALO later in the race (do not recall him making any mistake btw), with a late pit Norris had no chance to overcut Alonso either. It looks like the moment to pit for hards was very well chosen. At one point I had a hope ALO will catch RAI before race end but Alfa was on pace this weekend and RAI was consistently a tenth faster than ALO on many occasions in 2nd stint.

All we need next season is a better car. The rest is there  ! :up:

#3604 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 19:25

According to Autohebdo we are about to see a shock arrival at Alpine on the management of the team.

It seems like the words of Rossi are followed by actions.

Looks like Rossi is about deconstruct everything Abiteboul has done one the management side.

Edited by Viryfan, 08 November 2021 - 19:27.

#3605 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:25

Looking at all those precedents that Palmer shows, I can't understand how Raikkonen was not force to give the place back. Specially when Verstappen overtook Hamilton in Bahrain in a clearer situation than Raikkonen, and he had to give the place back. Maybe Alonso is right and a different set of rules are applied to different drivers?

Maybe, but as far as I can tell, it's just incompetence. But I guess it could be both!

#3606 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,812 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:29

According to Autohebdo we are about to see a shock arrival at Alpine on the management of the team.

Well that is interesting.  

The list of people that would shock me:

Adrian Newey (not going to happen though)

Andy Cowell (hmmm....)

Fritz Enzinger (hmm....)

Abiteboul ( :lol: )

Edited by ARTGP, 08 November 2021 - 20:30.

#3607 revmeister

revmeister

• 812 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:38

Looks like Rossi is about deconstruct everything Abiteboul has done one the management side.

Briatore

#3608 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,812 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:39

Briatore

:smoking:

#3609 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:42

Well, Jean Todt is ending his current job soon, right?  :lol:

#3610 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,192 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:47

Mr. Briatore to the phone, Mr. Briatore to the phone, a Mr. Laurent Rossi is calling!

briatore-original.jpg

#3611 danmills

danmills

• 3,177 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:50

I would love to see Flavio back. If anyone can turn fortunes at Enstone it's him.

Forget Singapore. The guy transformed Benetton with titles in the 90s and repeated the same after a few years when back at Renault in the naughties.

Three times a lady they say.

If it is him, maybe Piastri or Gasly will be the one?

#3612 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,812 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:51

Brawn? Maybe he's realized his ideas for F1 are terrible and is coming back to what he does best?

Edited by ARTGP, 08 November 2021 - 20:51.

#3613 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:58

It's an american who is in F1 right now.

The direct consequence is that Budkowski is on the way out seemingly or at last with greatly reduced responsability.

Edited by Viryfan, 08 November 2021 - 22:20.

#3614 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 20:59

Otmar? Please, no...

#3615 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 21:00

Otmar? Please, no...

bingo

Otmar is apparently fed up with Lawrence Stroll.

Edited by Viryfan, 08 November 2021 - 21:01.

#3616 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,812 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 21:57

That's absolutely bombshell.  Otmar has looked extremely unhappy on Sky.

Edited by ARTGP, 08 November 2021 - 21:58.

#3617 dn12005

dn12005

• 252 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 21:58

bingo

Otmar is apparently fed up with Lawrence Stroll.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47fy0lt4kin0rlxs8xfn

#3618 dn12005

dn12005

• 252 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 22:03

That's absolutely bombshell.  Otmar has looked extremely unhappy on Sky.

He's been looking unhappy for a while....funny thing is, I had a premonition of him dawning the Alpine Blues when he was spotlighted during the last weekend...

And then, I felt like this upon thinking such...

dbb35161eb7233959de477d4ad08d1b9.320x180

#3619 dn12005

dn12005

• 252 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 22:06

Do you have a link Viryfan?

Advertisement

#3620 FLB

FLB

• 29,884 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 12:46

The link!

https://www.autohebd...hez-alpine.html

Edited by FLB, 09 November 2021 - 12:47.

#3621 Afrenchguy

Afrenchguy

• 372 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 14:06

It’s in french but you can translate 

l2xx.jpeg

Edited by Afrenchguy, 09 November 2021 - 14:07.

#3622 Neno

Neno

• 2,384 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 14:54

Alpine was over recent years taking a lot of talented people from Force India now Aston Martin. From engineering staff at least. Which even lead to that controversy about did Aston even made their car. Because Alpine had some insight in it. Thing is Aston Martin was replacing those guys with Mercedes staff because Toto is "good guy". But taking people from management side is big move.  

I personally dont like Otmar (even though everything he did was in benefit of his team and I get it), but he certainly is personality on grid.  And decent established team principal.  Alpine has none. You simply aint getting anyone from Ferrari, Mclaren, Mercedes, RB and his little brother. Not from high ranked staff at least. You could maybe poach their janitor and they would let you do it maybe. Because that's what LAW says (UK gardening leave 2+ years). I could beat  women with a mop 100 years ago because that what law said.  But okay. Then people wonder why I dislike current F1. When Merc was poaching people it wasnt big thing yet, but when it happened all big teams were aware for future they needed to put such clauses in contracts of their most paid and most important staff. 

Edited by Neno, 09 November 2021 - 17:05.

#3623 dn12005

dn12005

• 252 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 15:02

It’s in french but you can translate 

l2xx.jpeg

Thank you!!!

Edited by dn12005, 09 November 2021 - 15:04.

#3624 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 1,554 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 16:49

Renault even took one of Force India’s drivers! ;) (A year late, admittedly,) Honestly, I think Szafnauer is a decently competent chap and he knows how to punch above weight with a team, which could be good news for Alpine vs the other works entries. I also recall his Beyond the Grid episode from a couple of years ago fondly, he came across quite well there. Alpine could do a lot worse than him. Sidenote: What does that mean for Brivio?

#3625 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 17:00

Renault even took one of Force India’s drivers! ;) (A year late, admittedly,) Honestly, I think Szafnauer is a decently competent chap and he knows how to punch above weight with a team, which could be good news for Alpine vs the other works entries. I also recall his Beyond the Grid episode from a couple of years ago fondly, he came across quite well there. Alpine could do a lot worse than him. Sidenote: What does that mean for Brivio?

The general understanding is that Budkowski is the one targeted with this kind of move for Otmar.

#3626 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,647 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 17:02

Renault even took one of Force India’s drivers!  ;) (A year late, admittedly,) Honestly, I think Szafnauer is a decently competent chap and he knows how to punch above weight with a team, which could be good news for Alpine vs the other works entries. I also recall his Beyond the Grid episode from a couple of years ago fondly, he came across quite well there. Alpine could do a lot worse than him. Sidenote: What does that mean for Brivio?

It's hard to really assess Aston Martin because Lawrence Stroll has been directing his team to copy Mercedes' design and parts the last few years. Engineers were frustrated with this approach because they used to get so much bang for the buck with their limited budget as Force India. I wouldn't doubt this philosophy frustrated Szafnauer.

#3627 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 18:18

He's been looking unhappy for a while....funny thing is, I had a premonition of him dawning the Alpine Blues when he was spotlighted during the last weekend...

And then, I felt like this upon thinking such...

dbb35161eb7233959de477d4ad08d1b9.320x180

Yeah I'm not at all sure how to feel about this.

Also, both Ottmar and Flavio could be involved in different capacities, I suppose. Flavio on the business side, and Ottmar on the racing ops side. It seems Flavio is coming back to F1, if the video with Stefano is to be believed, and Alpine is the most likely landing spot - unless he's going to work for F1, which is what I've heard.

Edited by AustinF1, 10 November 2021 - 16:10.

#3628 rootten

rootten

• 1,889 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 19:05

I don't understand, in what capacity Szafnauer is better than Budkowski? What does he bring?

Personally I don't like they guy, with all that crying about high rake car and this copycat drama last year

#3629 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,812 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 19:13

I don't understand, in what capacity Szafnauer is better than Budkowski? What does he bring?

Personally I don't like they guy, with all that crying about high rake car and this copycat drama last year

I think perspective is needed. AM were probably acting as a proxy for Mercedes with all of the whining. Mercedes would benefit massively if FIA somehow reverted the floor cuts without being seen to have been crying about it. And as I saw it, Szaf has been doing Stroll's bidding against his own will. The fact that he has decided to leave that team suggest some moral sensibility and a backbone after all.

#3630 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 19:32

The bottom line is that we don't know how good is Budkowski as sort of CEO in a Formula 1 Team while Szafnauer is a known quantity for getting bang for your bucks as a CEO for an F1 operation.

Let's remember that Budkowski was not that great in Mclaren too when he got all power as head of Aerodynamics (hello 2013 and 2014 shitty cars).

#3631 rootten

rootten

• 1,889 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 20:03

The bottom line is that we don't know how good is Budkowski as sort of CEO in a Formula 1 Team while Szafnauer is a known quantity for getting bang for your bucks as a CEO for an F1 operation.

Let's remember that Budkowski was not that great in Mclaren too when he got all power as head of Aerodynamics (hello 2013 and 2014 shitty cars).

Was he actually? 

FI had the dominant engine at the back of their cars, which made them better by default, at the time where Renault and Honda engines were subpar

Only notable achievements they've got was last season when they got designs from Mercedes

Nothing besides that

#3632 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 20:13

Was he actually? 

FI had the dominant engine at the back of their cars, which made them better by default, at the time where Renault and Honda engines were subpar

Only notable achievements they've got was last season when they got designs from Mercedes

Nothing besides that

Yep he did.

His team went from back the end of the midfield to the best of the rest despite a challenging context.

He made sure his team got ahead of Williams with the same engine and less money.

#3633 rootten

rootten

• 1,889 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 20:29

you mean they beat a team in decline? hardly an achievement

challenging context was for Renault and McLaren with Honda engine in the back

Edited by rootten, 09 November 2021 - 20:30.

#3634 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 20:53

you mean they beat a team in decline? hardly an achievement

challenging context was for Renault and McLaren with Honda engine in the back

Well, Red Bull had a Renault engine and still managed to stick it to P2 in WCC in 2014 and 2016, P3 in 2017 and 2018.

And the 2018 showed that Mclaren woes were also due to clearly inefficient organisation.

So yes, the money struggle with Mallya were a bigger hurdle than engine woes.

#3635 rootten

rootten

• 1,889 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 20:55

OK, no point arguing further

#3636 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 3,317 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 12:14

Not to mention the way he defended his team during the 'fuel tank situation' after the Hungarian grand prix. Most of his defense arguments since the copycatgate are... ridiculous 

(I'm not saying that Szafnauer is a bad manager, or that Budkowski is better. Szafnauer seems to be very capable... but not as a lawyer*, lol)

but I like Budkowski and i dislike(d) Szafnauer... so this is a strange situation.
*And if Budkowski leaves, who will defend the interests of Alpine in the technical meetings between the teams and the FIA?  definitely not Brivio...  Szafnauer??  :lol: 

#3637 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 16:29

Not to mention the way he defended his team during the 'fuel tank situation' after the Hungarian grand prix. Most of his defense arguments since the copycatgate are... ridiculous 

(I'm not saying that Szafnauer is a bad manager, or that Budkowski is better. Szafnauer seems to be very capable... but not as a lawyer*, lol)

but I like Budkowski and i dislike(d) Szafnauer... so this is a strange situation.
*And if Budkowski leaves, who will defend the interests of Alpine in the technical meetings between the teams and the FIA?  definitely not Brivio...  Szafnauer??  :lol: 

I started to dislike Ottmar through all of that as well, and the way Checo was so unceremoniously booted from the team he helped save --- however, it did occur to me from time to time that it was possible that he was simply doing Lawrence Stroll's bidding & had no choice if he really wanted to keep his job. On a purely speculative note, I do get the feeling that he'd rather his team design and build its own cars, rather than just copy them, and FI weren't bad at that, either.

Re: Budkowski, who knows, maybe he's not leaving but rather just changing positions.

Edited by AustinF1, 11 November 2021 - 16:15.

#3638 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,812 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 16:32

Yeah I'm pretty sure with all due respect to Stroll, Szafnauer wanted to get rid of Stroll, not Perez.  But I think you all can imagine who stood in the way of that.

I'm also in the camp of not sure if this organizational instability will hinder the team in the short term, where basically Alonso has 1-2 years left.  But don't really have a choice except to search for the positives.

#3639 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,691 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 16:38

Yeah I'm pretty sure with all due respect to Stroll, Szafnauer wanted to get rid of Stroll, not Perez.  But I think you all can imagine who stood in the way of that.

I'm also in the camp of not sure if this organizational instability will hinder the team in the short term, where basically Alonso has 1-2 years left.  But don't really have a choice except to search for the positives.

I'm not sure I'd limit Alonso to just 1-2 years. He thinks he can do a few more years as long as he really wants to be there. Right now he really seems to want to be there, is very fit, is still quick, and still has excellent reflexes as we saw in Mexico on Sunday, deftly evading Bottas's stationary car in a cloud of tire smoke.

Advertisement

#3640 Neno

Neno

• 2,384 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 16:39

I think perspective is needed. AM were probably acting as a proxy for Mercedes with all of the whining. Mercedes would benefit massively if FIA somehow reverted the floor cuts without being seen to have been crying about it. And as I saw it, Szaf has been doing Stroll's bidding against his own will. The fact that he has decided to leave that team suggest some moral sensibility and a backbone after all.

Pretty much this. If he is leaving AM  it tells you something about him.  But that doesn't mean I am gonna like him if he comes to Alpine even though from principal standpoint he would be such huge upgrade how team is run. I have overall very sour feelings about everything FI-FP-AM since Stroll bought them. Specially with whole car shenanigans they were till now recently pulling and likely still continuing pulling behind closed doors. Like I said before AM is today full of Mercedes staff doing Totto's biding. Basically on verge doing extra wind tunnel development for them.  

Edited by Neno, 10 November 2021 - 16:41.

#3641 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 15:37

Announcement expected as soon as this week-end apparently for Otmar.

#3642 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 1,554 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 16:02

He’s scheduled to appear in the team principals’ press conference tomorrow, so perhaps that will shed some light already.

#3643 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 16:23

I started to dislike Ottmar through all of that as well, and the way Checo was so unceremoniously booted from the team he helped save --- however, it did occur to me from time to time that it was possible that he was simply doing Lawrence Stroll's bidding & had no choice if he really wanted to keep his job. On a purely speculative note, I do get the feeling that he'd rather his team design and build its own cars, rather than just copy them, and FI weren't bad at that, either.

Re: Budkowski, who knows, maybe he's not leaving but rather just changing positions.

Well, F1 is a professional, merciless, soulless environment. Yeah, Checo saved the team, but he was also saving his @ss.

I think, all in all, Szafnauer is a good acquisition, the guy knows his trade and (very important for Alpine) he comes with a good deal of experience.

With time, I hope I'll learn to pronounce and spell his name.

#3644 Afrenchguy

Afrenchguy

• 372 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 16:50

Article published on Monday after an ITW given on the Mexican GP

MOTOGP, BRIVIO BACK WITH SUZUKI? DAVIDE SPEAKS OUT

Despite the anger of not being able to take part in the fight for pole position, with third place at Portimao, Joan Mir can celebrate his best ever MotoGP qualification. The result gives Suzuki, who are a long way from the form they showed last season when they were able to win the World Championship with the Mallorcan rider, some morale in this final part of the season.

What has changed since then? Certainly, the renewed competitiveness of the new world champion, Fabio Quartararo, but before that, the arrival in F1 of Davide Brivio, the real engine of the success of the Hamamatsu company. It is difficult to replace the figure who has set up the project piece by piece. So much so that the Japanese constructor preferred to opt for an "in-house" solution, by investing Shinichi Sahara in a dual role, rather than hiring a new team manager. A solution that did not bear the expected fruits, as the current season shows.

Brivio is not looking back, but forward.

So here are some rumours about the supposed disappointment of the Renault CEO, in relation to Brivio's work, which have been enough to fuel the idea of a return to the Brianza manager's bikes. Possible scenario or mere suggestion? To remove any doubt on the matter, we thought to the person concerned, interviewed by Sky during the Mexican GP free practice.

"There is still something to do. I have to say that Formula 1 is obviously very complex, in the sense that it is very articulate," explained Davide, who, although he still has a lot to learn, doesn't want to throw in the towel just yet. "It's an experience that I really enjoy, so now I'm here. In fact, we are in a very good moment right now. We are very focused on this end of the championship, to try to maintain the 5th place, which will not be easy, starting this weekend with the very competitive AlphaTauri - he continued -. I'm here and I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

No nostalgia, then. Or at least no Suzuki or VR46 team on the horizon. Brivio doesn't want to go backwards and has a clear idea of where he wants to be in 2022: "at Alpine. Alpine F1."

#3645 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 19:04

I am a big Checo fan, but I would not pin AM's decision to keep Stroll on him Szafnauer, as it's clear who's calling the shots. 

FI has built a very successful team (for their budget) and a pretty constant upper midfield contender. That's not easy to do. 

I am not seing Alpine/Renault move forward, I think they are falling back from last year. Maybe fully focused on next year (it would make sense) but if not, then they are in trouble.

Szafnauer would be a great addition to the team. 

#3646 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 1,554 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 19:34

https://www.instagra...edium=copy_link

From Szafnauer’s Instagram profile, saying ”rumours are pure media speculation and not based on fact.“ At least the press conference is gonna be interesting!

#3647 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,812 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 19:36

https://www.instagra...edium=copy_link

From Szafnauer’s Instagram profile, saying ”rumours are pure media speculation and not based on fact.“ At least the press conference is gonna be interesting!

:lol:  You don't even get an interview for a role like this if you aren't a very good liar.

Edited by ARTGP, 11 November 2021 - 19:36.

#3648 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 19:42

:lol:  You don't even get an interview for a role like this if you aren't a very good liar.

This is a very soft denial.

In his denial he could've said like Brivio last week that he was commited to his team which he did not...

#3649 Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil

• 1,554 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 20:55

Yeah, I’m not sure if I believe it either. Maybe an announcement has been put off until the winter break and this is really just a way to clamp down on the rumours in the very immediate future. Then again, could they really keep news like this private, particularly with the way a TP has to be involved with the development around the 2022 rules? Either way, looking forward to some clarification (or more carefully crafted misdirection!) tomorrow.

#3650 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,723 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:42

Laurent Rossi talks with lots of confidence but I do wonder if he has the capability to do the job as much as his confidence.