Photo

Pit Stop Magazine

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 18:03

Is anyone on here involved with, or know anything about, this new mag...The Pit Stop?

https://www.facebook.../thepitstopmag/

https://thepitstopmagazine.com/

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 11 January 2021 - 18:18.

Advertisement

#2 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 18:56

This is the first I’ve heard of it, but I’d be interested if they’d give more information on the web site instead of my scrolling through FB pages. Publishing the masthead would be helpful, too......

#3 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 393 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 19:24

Yes, it would be interesting to know who the contributors and staff are.

Is it illuminating that such information is kept on a need to know basis?

Round up the usual suspects.............................

#4 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 20:34

There has been a bit of chat on Twitter about this. None of the usual suspects seem involved or haven't confirmed they are anyway
It's run from Salisbury, Wiltshire, birthplace of Donald Davidson and myself (so that's a plus in my eyes) but other than that, other information is a bit sparse currently.

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 11 January 2021 - 20:34.

#5 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 263 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 22:37

There has been a bit of chat on Twitter about this. None of the usual suspects seem involved or haven't confirmed they are anyway...

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, although it might prove to be!

Three of the contributing photographers are named with potted bios on the shop (!) page of the website. I can't say any of them are known to me although that could be my ignorance. Equally ignorant of me not to be able to identify the "F1 car" in some of the pictures in Lee Holt's gallery. I'm not entirely convinced it is an F1 car though. Perhaps someone can put me out of my misery on that one?

Also just noticed the answer to that question on the Facebook page: "... the majority of the articles in Issue 1 are written by the editor, Rob Hansford. Daniel Lackey will also be contributing. In our first Issue we are covering stories about the McLaren MP4/4B, trials bike legend, Sammy Miller and IMSA team Motorsport In Action to name a few. We have incredible images accompanying each story that have been provided by a number of contributors"

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 23:48

The "F1 car" looks like a March 712M to me. Sans air restrictor, obviously. This is some chap called Hunt being followed by a bloke called Lauda ...

image3.jpg?w=1024&h=753

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,591 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 00:52

I believe it to be Keith Harris’s March 712 at Shelsley Walsh, but not on a pukka hill climb as it has no timing strut fitted (which it does have in the photo below). Possibly photographed at the Shelsley Supercar Fest or some other pageant-style event:

5-C50-FB4-A-E9-D3-4563-996-A-ACD1-DCEC38

#8 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 393 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:31

None of the names mentioned are members of the Guild of Motoring Writers.

I have not encountered or heard of any of the photographers but at Goodwood and Le Mans there are many faces I would not recognise. Maybe it is me being out of touch.

Brave step to start a print magazine with apparently inexperienced or unknown contributors. Glad I am not the Sub-Editor.

But if they can pull it off, Chapeau!

Edited by SamoanAttorney, 12 January 2021 - 07:31.

#9 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:48

Oh, so it's a print magazine? Respect...

Has somebody already read it? The MP4/4 is one of my alltime favourite cars (although I don't recall a B version), and Sammy Miller is an interesting  character I would love to know more about... very tempted!

#10 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 393 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 13:44

MP4/4B?? According to Wikipedia (so it must be right)................

A modified car, the MP4/4B, was used as a test mule for Honda's new 3.5-litre V10 designed around the new regulations for the 1989 season banning turbocharged engines.

It would be a particularly esoteric feature but could bring some new knowledge to a wider audience.

Edited by SamoanAttorney, 13 January 2021 - 07:41.

#11 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 14:51

There is a Sammy Miller Museum, details on his website:

https://sammymiller.co.uk

There are videos about his collection online - though I can't find the links at the moment...

#12 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 843 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 13:54

It would be a particularly esoteric feature but could bring some new knowledge to a wider audience.

Oh, I don't know.     There's always the Lightburn Zeta...

#13 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 393 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 14:49

Oh, I don't know.     There's always the Lightburn Zeta...

A somewhat Frisky approach?

#14 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 15:27

I've pre-ordered issue 1, as there is a Group 1 piece, featuring pictures of my late Dad and also of me at Goodwood SpeedWeek - I'll post again one it arrives...

#15 TJJohansen

TJJohansen

• 75 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:21

I notice that not only does the photographer refer to the March as an F-1 car, but also the Daytona Coupe as a 1964 Exoto Daytona Coupe. When you google that phrase you find a die- cast model from Exoto in those same colors. One would expect that a guy who is supposed to be on a magazine's staff would know enough to label the photo correctly. Because the Cobra pictured is definitely not a model. That makes one suspicious as to what knowledge the writers bring to the table. But I shall wait to hear what other forumites who have bought the rag has to say about the content. I guess that much is deserved.

T J

#16 SamoanAttorney

SamoanAttorney

• 393 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 14:26

A modified car, the MP4/4B, was used as a test mule for Honda's new 3.5-litre V10 designed around the new regulations for the 1989 season banning turbocharged engines.

Perhaps it is Frisky :stoned:

According to their FB page 

Emanuele Pirro spent a large portion of 1988 based in Japan, testing the McLaren MP4/4B, the car that was used to help Honda develop their naturally aspirated V10 for the 1989 #F1 season.

In Issue 1 of The Pit Stop he tells us what the testing programme was like and how the MP4/4B was to drive.

#17 68targa

68targa

• 1,134 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 14:58

It's brilliant, incredible, luxurious, outstanding and beautiful  .... according to their own blurb so it must be good.  I wish they would let their readers decide this though.

Cynicism aside I do wish it well - it's  brave of them to have a go and rival Automobilsport.

#18 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 15:00

The 'Privacy Policy' on the Pit Stop website has a further link in it (to contact them) which takes you to the website of The Road Rat, which shows they make the following magazines:

https://theroadrat.c...ns/buy-magazine

The Road Rat is owned by one Michael Harvey, which means nothing to me, but may to some of you:

https://find-and-upd...039692/officers

The above is all public information, so I'm not posting anything I shouldn't. This doesn't get us any closer to who the contributors will be, but the above may be of some help.

Edited by Imperial, 15 January 2021 - 22:08.

#19 john aston

john aston

• 2,682 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 15:14

Michael Harvey was the editor of Autocar in the early Nineties , and I think was responsible for turning it around after a period when , post incorporation ( or takeover ) of the rather racier  Motor it was struggling to find a new identity . He was a mate of Russell Bulgin - and that is good enough for me . 

Advertisement

#20 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 15:16

The 'Privacy Policy' on the Pit Stop website has a further link in it (to contact them) which takes you to the website of The Road Rat, which shows they make the following magazines:https://theroadrat.c...ns/buy-magazine The Road Rat is owned by one Michael Harvey, which means nothing to me, but may to some of you:https://find-and-upd...039692/officers The above is all public information, so I'm not posting anything I shouldn't. This doesn't get us any closed to who the contributors will be, but the above may be of some help.

Good catch.

I subscribe to The Road Rat and am generally satisfied. It’s a bit outré but I don’t mind that. It isn’t a magazine for road tests, race reports or new model launches or predicting the next exotic to skyrocket in price. The contributors are good and the presentation is first rate. They are exceptional at customer care. Some of the comments above give me pause but if the philosophy and money behind TRR are brought to bear on TPS then it might be worthwhile.

I’m in the US, yet four of the five automobile magazine subscriptions I have are from the U.K. It really is a desert of automotive journalism here.

#21 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 18:19

Mine arrived today, not had a chance to look at it properly, but the presentation and production is very good.
Will read it over the next few days and post back.

Edited by Gregor Marshall, 03 February 2021 - 18:19.

#22 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 23:50

Any feedback on whether the magazine is any good or not? If so, I might be tempted at buying a copy...Thanks

#23 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 19:42

It’s rather odd that as a subscriber to The Road Rat I’ve not received any promotional material for Pit Stop if indeed they are part of the same organization. It seems they’re missing a cross-selling opportunity if this is the case.

#24 jtremlett

jtremlett

• 263 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 22:21

It’s rather odd that as a subscriber to The Road Rat I’ve not received any promotional material for Pit Stop if indeed they are part of the same organization. It seems they’re missing a cross-selling opportunity if this is the case.

The only place I've heard it mentioned at all is here.  Now I appreciate I'm not getting out much right now, but I might have expected to hear of it somewhere, so I would think they are missing selling opportunities altogether.  Or perhaps it is just that I'm not on Facebook 24/7.

#25 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 22:42

The only place I've heard it mentioned at all is here.  Now I appreciate I'm not getting out much right now, but I might have expected to hear of it somewhere, so I would think they are missing selling opportunities altogether.  Or perhaps it is just that I'm not on Facebook 24/7.

If a business is concentrating its marketing on FB then it’s missing me entirely, but I recognize I’m probably not the target demographic for a lot of businesses these days....

#26 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 15:02

I did purchase the premier issue, just to get a taste for the magazine. It arrived yesterday (I’m in the U.S.) and it was very well packaged in a rigid cardboard box. This is a welcome trend as some of the other magazines that arrive in flimsy plastic or paper wrappers barely survive the journey intact. I have not had a chance to look through it yet, but when I have I’ll post a few comments here

#27 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 16:43

....when I published my first book, I think around 50% of sales came through me posting about it on Facebook, it's a useful tool.