Photo

Jean Graton RIP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 19:46

Just I learned that comic artist Jean Graton, maker of the "Michel Vaillant" comic series, has passed away today.
He reached the high age of 97. Beside the series around the fictional racing driver "Michel Vaillant" he also made the series of moto racer "Julie Wood".

He was born in France, but moved to Belgium after WWII. 

His first drawing was published in "Le Soir" when he was 8 years old (!).

He started at comic weekly magazine "Spirou". Then moved to the weekly "Tintin", headed by HergĂ© of TinTin fame. 

Michel Vaillant was born in 1957. Motorsport as a central theme that captured many generations. The Vaillant series became very popular among his many fans in and outside of the sport. Graton captured the sport in a vey realistic way, he was often seen at Grand Prix and other events.

The adventures have been translated into several languages: 70 albums, with 20 million copies sold in 16 countries (of which I have all). In 2003 a successful film was made by French director Couvelaire, with Luc Besson as screenwriter and producer.

The series is continued by his son Philippe, a co-author since 1994, who started "A new season" .

Graton received several awards, the French Commander in the Order of Arts and Letters, and in Belgium the Knight in the Order of Leopold II.

Graton did a lot to bring motorsports to many a young lad.

Edited by Arjan de Roos, 21 January 2021 - 19:48.

Advertisement

#2 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,906 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 20:21

Merci Mr Jean Graton.

Je vous dois beaucoup de remerciements. Cette course automobile et certains de ses aspects sont devenus une partie de ma vie sur laquelle je peux toujours me souvenir chaque jour, je vous le dois.

Merci beaucoup pour cela.

Repose en paix

I owe you many thanks.

That car racing and some aspects of it have become a part of my life that I can still look back upon with pleasure every day, I owe it to you.

Many thanks for that.

Rest in peace.

Henri

#3 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 22:04

RIP Jean Graton.

A unique contribution to the motorsport world, merci beaucoup!!!

#4 nexfast

nexfast

• 982 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 23:13

Jean Graton's Michel Vaillant was an inspiration and contributed hugely to make motorsport popular amongst a lot of young people. Rest in peace, M.Graton

#5 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,869 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:54

97 years old... not bad. But then again, I believe Michel became worldchampion (again!) when he was about 57, so that was a tough act to follow.

How did I reckon that? Michel first drove in Indianapolis in 1957. He must have been at least 18 back then, I guess, but probably 20. Michel did his military service in the fifties (he was in the paratroopers), when he was between 17 and 18. So Michel was born around 1937. 

According to me, Michel did not become world champion in the sixties, because Steve Warson (no introduction needed) tells Michel's father that he understands Michel is disappointed by missing the title in 1969... The first album Michel demonstrably wins the world title is 1971... So he was a ripe world champion in his mid-thirties. he wins another won in 74. And defends that title in 75. He won again in 1977 (when Vaillant had three (3!) cars one team and in some races even four cars: for Michel, Steve, Mike Brown (wat happened to that guy?) and Patrick Tambay.

Michel beat Gilles Villeneuve to the title in 1978 and 1979 but was beaten in 1980 by the might of Ferrari, helped by Steve Warson (who had that famous feud with Jean-Pierre, back then, since then long forgiven). In 1995 Michel became world champion for the last time (although it was tough to tell, because an international gambling syndicate sabotaged the final race of the year in Australia). Since then, the Vailliant-factory had to withdraw for a while from F1. Granddad Vaillaint now has an electric bike. As we all known, Steve is now a politician and governor of Texas...

Goodby, Jean, thanks for the memories!