It Haas to be.... the 2021 Haas team thread

• Please log in to reply
1634 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 19:27

No launch date yet for the VF21 car...

But I have to say, the Haas F1 social media manager has got to have the hardest job of the 2021 season ahead of them - they put up a post today and it seems to be one of the most interactive postings from an F1 team in January so far... unfortunately there’s not much positivity in the air...

https://twitter.com/...1966305281?s=21

Edited by FirstnameLastname, 23 January 2021 - 19:28.

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 20:09

Ah, so this is the Mazepin Massacre thread?

Do they have another driver?   Anyone we should know?

#3 Beri

Beri

• 11,611 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 22:36

I believe it's a Swiss guy. But not the same Swiss guy who bowed out.

#4 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 23:01

Some of the responses are kinda funny 

I'm genuinely interested what'll generate more traffic in this thread, the drive to survive episode, Mazepin or how Mick is overrated.

To break things up we should start evaluating the Haas weekend based on the look on Ayao's face:

ayao-komatsu.jpg

#5 Gecko

Gecko

• 876 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 05:00

I will always keep referring to them as Harass F1, until they fire Mazepin.

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:58

I’m gonna cheer for Niki Temazipam.
Just to piss off you people.
Jp

#7 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:30

I’m gonna cheer for Niki Temazipam.
Just to piss off you people.
Jp

Just because your boy Santino won't be in IndyCar this year!

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:35

Whoa ... “my boy”?
Not even close there sailor.

Jp

#9 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:55

Could again be a very tough season for them. I read somewhere no upgrades for the 2021 car this year either (which basically is the 2020 car). And with a poor driver pairing compared to last year’s, finishing last in the championship could be a real possibillity.

#10 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:10

Yeah I'm expecting Williams to leap ahead of them.

Then again if the Ferrari engine improves, there's that, too. I would expect that to happen as well.

#11 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:24

If the 2021 car is as poor as the 2020 one, can we expect Mick Schumacher to be hailed as the New (Bruno) Senna?

#12 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:41

Schumacher will be beaten by Alonso, Hamilton & Vettel in the WDC

#13 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,088 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:53

I expect schumacher & mazepin to be quite close, with Mick having a more mature racecraft.

But i fear we won't see much of this team, they could be dead last.

#14 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,356 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:20

Solid mistake free racing can possibly gain them a point or two.

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 15:35

Obviously your glass is half full..

Jp

#16 JoshKing

JoshKing

• 87 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 16:40

Yeah I've not got very high hopes for Haas this year. Sure the Ferrari engine may improve, but it could just exacerbate the issue of the car being tricky to drive and understand - it might be even worse with two rookies.

I've predicted for Williams to jump Haas in WCC, and I only really expect Mick to score the lucky point or two for them. Plus, Mazepin is going to be there as long as big daddy has the dosh, much to our dismay.

Honestly can't wait for DTS for 2021, Guenther will probably be mega pissed :p

#17 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,356 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 16:53

Obviously your glass is half full..

Jp

I am a perpetual glass half full, or glass half full kind of guy.

#18 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 17:53

Yeah I've not got very high hopes for Haas this year. Sure the Ferrari engine may improve, but it could just exacerbate the issue of the car being tricky to drive and understand - it might be even worse with two rookies.

I've predicted for Williams to jump Haas in WCC, and I only really expect Mick to score the lucky point or two for them. Plus, Mazepin is going to be there as long as big daddy has the dosh, much to our dismay.

Honestly can't wait for DTS for 2021, Guenther will probably be mega pissed :p

If you were Gene you’d want to get rid of him if possible after 2021... even if he brings in the money, the brand is getting a trashing on social media... although the world is bigger than Twitter and the like and they may just think it’ll die down and fade away

I think the opposite... imagine the banners once fans get back into the track... be a full time job sending someone from F1 to have them removed from the stands etc

#19 PistolPete

PistolPete

• 1,161 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 19:03

Worse drivers this year... But Ferrari will help more, and in the end F1 is mostly about the car. If they don't do better than 2020 I guess we can conclude Haas is really ****ed with these two drivers. 

Advertisement

#20 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 19:23

I think the biggest frustration of this whole season, for all the fans who were lining up to condemn Marzipan, is that he’s going to **** us all off something crazy by showing more speed than everybody’s fave Mick Schumacher. Mick is a slow starter and not a great qualifier, but he’s a lovely racer and that’ll hopefully start so show when he gets comfortable. Marzipan is an absolute tool, but he’s also a balls out type of driver who’ll unfortunately probably hit the ground running better initially.

#21 Anja

Anja

• 10,310 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 19:28

I don't know, Mazepin's first year in F2 was pretty bad so he could need some time just like Mick. It really can go either way with them. 

#22 ForzaFormula

ForzaFormula

• 3,190 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 19:31

Awful ambition from Haas and not looking good for them this season, hopefully Williams can step up and overtake them, Mazepin may surprise and beat a young MS...but they may surprise with a better car this year, both rookie's are really going to need it.

Edited by ForzaFormula, 24 January 2021 - 19:32.

#23 Mark521

Mark521

• 531 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 19:35

To me, 2021 is just a year to get through for Haas F1.  Give Mick some experience, try to learn something from the Ferrari tech people tp apply for 2022, and cash the Mazepin checks while holding your nose (and keep him on a very short leash).  IIRC, Mazepin has a two year contract and unless he does something really stupid, Haas F1 is stuck with him.  Breaking that contract without really strong cause will just get you sued to death as Daddy Mazepin has the means to do so.  That's the problem of doing a deal with the devil, metaphorically speaking of course :)

#24 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 19:59

I actually think Mazepin is not any worse than Mick. He was usually the quickest of the field on race day. Think Mick's gap to him largely comes from sprint races iirc (also his starts obviously)? The big difference between the two was that while both have a very suspect way to defend Mick usually got away with it somehow.

Haas had with Magnussen/Grosjean probably the driver pairing with the most controversial driving style on the grid, that will probably not change...

#25 Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip

• 1,452 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 20:02

Given 2021 will be a special year in that the chassis will be very similar to last year, I still don't understand why they dropped both experienced drivers at the same time who actually drove the 2020 chassis. Regardless of their ultimate pace I can see them being slow starters until mid-season.

#26 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 00:22

If the 2021 car is as poor as the 2020 one, can we expect Mick Schumacher to be hailed as the New (Bruno) Senna?

I (barely) see what you did there...

#27 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 00:23

Given 2021 will be a special year in that the chassis will be very similar to last year, I still don't understand why they dropped both experienced drivers at the same time who actually drove the 2020 chassis. Regardless of their ultimate pace I can see them being slow starters until mid-season.

It's almost as if they need money!  Gunther and Gene have spent a lot of time saying otherwise, though...

#28 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:19

Why is Haas chassis so bad in spite of their close working relationship with Ferrari? 2020 was compounded by engine issue, but there were some serious issues that were not fixed from 2019

WRT to Nakita Mazepin, he is perfect for Guenther Steiner to hide behind and avoid the scrutiny of his poor management structure that has led to the team being dead last. 

Edited by RA2, 25 January 2021 - 04:24.

#29 Beri

Beri

• 11,611 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:50

Why is Haas chassis so bad in spite of their close working relationship with Ferrari? 2020 was compounded by engine issue, but there were some serious issues that were not fixed from 2019

WRT to Nakita Mazepin, he is perfect for Guenther Steiner to hide behind and avoid the scrutiny of his poor management structure that has led to the team being dead last.

Williams says hi.

#30 loki

loki

• 12,242 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 17:16

Haas and Dallara design the listed parts.  The reason they stink isn’t so much Steiner as it is the method they chose to build the car.  And having a couple of knuckleheads driving.  Maybe with Ferrari support they’ll do better but until they can either design a car that works better with the bolt on parts they buy or start designing and making those parts in house chances are they won’t do much better.

#31 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,964 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 18:08

Because the parts you actually have to (outsource to Dallara) design yourself have to work perfectly with last years Ferrari. Also, you need to fully understand the car to be able to bolt on actually working upgrades, something Haas have struggled a lot with.

#32 FLB

FLB

• 29,673 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 18:12

I actually think Mazepin is not any worse than Mick.

Agreed and that's what worries me. Unless he comprehensively beats the Russian, this could break Schumacher.

Add that to the fact Mazepin is *already* playing the 'They hate me cuz' they hate Russians!' card. If he matches Schumacher in an way, shape or form, he'll say the criticism of his actions are in fact calls of pro-West jingoism against Russians in general:

https://www.planetf1...ussian-drivers/

Edited by FLB, 25 January 2021 - 18:20.

#33 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 13:51

Look at K-Mag and Max Verstappen... both have fathers who were hotly tipped but generally underwhelmed in F1. Both have made sure of teaching their sons all aspects to stop them falling into the same pitfalls that they perhaps done.

Obviously we don’t know the full situation with Micks father currently, but it’s a huge shame that he can’t be on hand to help Mick and guide him through his early F1 years. Imagine how valuable that would be - seeing the impact Jos and Jan have had on their sons of this generation.

#34 taz

taz

• 557 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 14:11

Didn't they have an overheating rear suspension (kinda like Ferrari) which made the car undriveable? they have a load of Ferrari engineers now which i suppose can help fix that rear suspension

#35 JoshKing

JoshKing

• 87 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 14:13

Didn't they have an overheating rear suspension (kinda like Ferrari) which made the car undriveable? they have a load of Ferrari engineers now which i suppose can help fix that rear suspension

That, and it most likely caused some tyre temp issues, which they previously suffered with in 2019.

#36 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 19:18

50824700-C4-AC-492-A-B60-E-4-ACAF70-D091

At some point they’ll have to try and just concentrate on Schumi this year... and hope that Nikita becomes the Latifi or Giovanazzi of 2021 where nobody notices/cares

#37 Beggysmalls

Beggysmalls

• 141 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 22:12

Sounds like its been a tough start already with the engine not being able to be fired until the pre season test in Bahrain because ferrari technicians cant get travel to the uk.

The car is also being assembled in banbury rather than going back to Dallara

Steiner is also still in the us and will need to quarantine for 2 weeks if he decides to come to the uk

I wouldnt say that this is the best preperation coming into the season

#38 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,925 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 16:02

I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked!

https://www.planetf1...red-light-fine/

#39 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 17:56

Anyone who has seen any of those driving fail videos on YouTube should know that, to Russian drivers, traffic lights are optional.

Advertisement

#40 loki

loki

• 12,242 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 18:00

When I see Mazepin and “red light” in a headline I get an entirely different picture...

#41 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,356 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 18:21

Tempest in a tea-pot.

I paid the fine for my wife when a video showed her drive up to full red lights, not braking and going straight through - Minimum 2.11 seconds after changing to red.

#42 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 19:26

But is your wife Russian?  We need to know!

#43 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,356 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 19:36

But is your wife Russian?  We need to know!

She is not, did I make a mistake?

#44 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,874 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 20:42

*dad mode*

She was Russian that day....

Eh... eh

*/dadmode*

#45 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 20:55

OMG! Won't anyone think of the children!!! Considering the FIA doesn't care about the reckless idiot that is Deledda I'm really not expecting anything from them here. Schumacher got caught speeding and penalty points too. Actually, I really don't get the whole FIA road safety thing to be honest, it's not like any of them care :p

#46 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,636 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:18

You know it's a slow news day when the reporters are covering something like this.... :lol: .  Is running a red light bad? Yes...but is it newsworthy? I don't think so....What's next? Mazepin spills his espresso?

Edited by ARTGP, 05 February 2021 - 03:18.

#47 Widefoot2

Widefoot2

• 2,321 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:57

The accompanying picture gives me an "Evil Tintin" vibe. 

Apologies if that observation has already been made.

#48 RSRally

RSRally

• 2,024 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:49

Sounds like its been a tough start already with the engine not being able to be fired until the pre season test in Bahrain because ferrari technicians cant get travel to the uk.

The car is also being assembled in banbury rather than going back to Dallara

Steiner is also still in the us and will need to quarantine for 2 weeks if he decides to come to the uk

I wouldnt say that this is the best preperation coming into the season

With pretty much all the parts being sourced from Ferrari/Dallara, seems weird to have the base in the UK. A mainland European base would make more sense, especially post Brexit.

#49 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,224 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:55

With pretty much all the parts being sourced from Ferrari/Dallara, seems weird to have the base in the UK. A mainland European base would make more sense, especially post Brexit.

It is actually quite odd, but Haas are in F1 to sell their engineering machines to other engineering companies, so being closer to the motorsport engineering hub might be the reason. Still strange that they then outsource all the actual engineering to another company

#50 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:08

Steiner being incompetent at his job.

Clair is gone, somebody else needs to be called out

Edited by RA2, 05 February 2021 - 09:10.