Photo

Road America just will not be the same . . .

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 21:59

The St.John the Baptist Church is closing their concession stand:

https://www.jsonline...-19/4238268001/

:evil:

Advertisement

#2 10kDA

10kDA

• 991 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 23:52

The link won't open but the url includes "...due-to-covid"? Temporary, I would hope? :(

#3 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 00:01

Here are the main parts of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article, reprinted from The Sheboygan Press, about the closing of The Saint John the Baptist concession stand at RA:

ELKHART LAKE - 

After 65 years, St. John the Baptist is closing its food stand at Road America. Hertel said the decision was a hard one, and those involved in making it really had to dig deep. The challenge of finding enough volunteers and the changes at the course brought on by COVID-19 ultimately led to its closure.

The stand usually ran from May until the middle of October. 
. . .

Proceeds from the stand went to support the church in Plymouth and the Catholic school, but over the past decade, it was mainly supporting the school.

Sometimes volunteer groups would come and work the stand in exchange for a donation to their organization. Hertel always enjoyed when the Kohler High School baseball team would come to help, since her grandson was on the team.

When a few women from the church first started the stand, it was a pop-up, selling brats, some pies and other things out of coolers and off a grill. Over the years, it grew and made a permanent home in the pit area.

With brats, sandwiches, German potato salad, pie, ice cream and more, . . .

The stand was open last season, but it wasn't the same. Fans and crews weren't coming like before, and securing enough volunteers was harder. 

Edited by Tom Glowacki, 02 February 2021 - 20:45.

#4 10kDA

10kDA

• 991 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 00:37

Thanks for posting... I think. We always gravitated to their stand for at least one meal per weekend and usually more. They were like Old Faithful. The track has become more and more homogenized in recent years and it's a shame.

#5 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:03

I've hoped to visit Road America one day...and have a brat.  I've had one at Laguna Seca, but probably not as good those at RA ?  Can anyone comment ?  Are there any other brat vendors at RA, or was SJB the best ?

Vince H.

#6 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:26

They’ll make more, Vince. Yes, there’s other stands and they’re all good.

Regarding the thread title, I’ve felt this way for 20 years — after the previous 40 considering the place my favorite on earth. Nobody will care of course, and perhaps that’s the issue. I may never go back, there’s many other tracks that pay more attention to those who built them.

#7 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:50

I've hoped to visit Road America one day...and have a brat.  I've had one at Laguna Seca, but probably not as good those at RA ?  Can anyone comment ?  Are there any other brat vendors at RA, or was SJB the best ?

Vince H.

The GearBox at the other end of the paddock would still be there and doing a booming business.   As long as you would be there anyway, might as well go for the double brat.  I'd be suspicious of anything claiming to be a brat in California.

#8 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 13:17

Having just finished a couple of brats for lunch, I can testify that the one I ate at the Wisconsin State Fair Park ten years ago was agreeable to this German palate. Before that, I'd been suspicious of anything claiming to be a brat anywhere west of here, especially in the US!!

#9 10kDA

10kDA

• 991 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 15:40

Vince H.

As Tom mentioned, the Gear Box/ Kiwanis club stand is outstanding, as are Perl's overlooking turns 6 & 7 and 8 depending on where you're standing, and the Lions Club atop Fireman's Hill. The bowhunters' club used to operate the stand outside Turn 14 that was excellent but I haven't been to that one since maybe '99. I don't think it's run by the club any more.

#10 10kDA

10kDA

• 991 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 15:55

Having just finished a couple of brats for lunch, I can testify that the one I ate at the Wisconsin State Fair Park ten years ago was agreeable to this German palate. Before that, I'd been suspicious of anything claiming to be a brat anywhere west of here, especially in the US!!

Michael - Wisconsin has a deep and extensive German-American heritage. The US-born father of one of my high school friends spoke German at home and in his community until he attended high school. He had to become fluent in English then, because the high school was out of his town's school district and most of the kids and all the teachers spoke English. Should you visit Southeastern Wisconsin I'm confident you will find many homey venues where you can Ein - Zwei - Gesuffa to complement all kinds of very familiar Würste. :lol:

Edited by 10kDA, 28 January 2021 - 15:56.

#11 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 16:20

As if I didn't know! :D I was there to sample the beer... :drunk:

#12 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 16:38

The SJB stand was in the center of the paddock. It was torn down a year ago and replaced by an all new, modern, bigger stand. While St John's will no longer be involved, I am fully confidfent that the track will be able to attract another vendor to take over the stand and to keep the good times rolling. Due to its location, and the fact that the other paddock stand, The Gear Box, is so far removed from the paddock proper, it is most logical to assume that this stand will be open for business under a new vendor this coming season, 

Tom

#13 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 17:59

I can confirm that the stand will be in operation this coming year.  A new vendor has received the contract to run it. I cannot name them yet pending an official announcement from the track. However, sharpen your taste buds, there will be brats (and more) in the paddock this coming year.

Tom

#14 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,261 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 18:16

I'd be suspicious of anything claiming to be a brat in California.

I can't speak for Laguna Seca, but the two best concession stand items at Riverside International Raceway in the early 1970s were the bratwurst sandwich and a cup of Carroll Shelby's chili (no, not at the same time) While these were perfect for Winter and Fall events, the bratwurst sandwiches were good even when it was warmer.

I can guarantee you Germans did make it to California too  :D

#15 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 18:29

I can't speak for Laguna Seca, but the two best concession stand items at Riverside International Raceway in the early 1970s were the bratwurst sandwich and a cup of Carroll Shelby's chili (no, not at the same time) While these were perfect for Winter and Fall events, the bratwurst sandwiches were good even when it was warmer.

I can guarantee you Germans did make it to California too  :D

I would want to see some ID first, before eating their brats.

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 18:31

It would also depend on who is supplying the Brats. Someone good or just a mass production in-state company? Always get from a local butcher. 

#17 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,021 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 18:56

North Central Midwest, i.e. Wisc., Minn. and Iowa although it is fading, has STRONG German traditions (ignore all the Scandinavian babble about Minn. Germans outnumbered them 3 to 1,) and there are many places where that is still quite obvious.

My parents both spoke German, though one spoke high and one spoke low,  while my sig. other' father, who was the same age as mine did not go to an English speaking school till 8th grade when the country schools were shut down.

Every Wed. at a dive bar in Brownton , Minn. is German night, the cook is an old German gal, and it is just as good, if not better than that at the high buck foo-foo chef heinie ones in the Twin CIties.

#18 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 733 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 00:29

I can confirm that the stand will be in operation this coming year.  A new vendor has received the contract to run it. I cannot name them yet pending an official announcement from the track. However, sharpen your taste buds, there will be brats (and more) in the paddock this coming year.

Tom

The official announcement showed up in my email today, so I guess it's OK to say it -- Parker John's, a local/regional barbeque and wings place that according to the press release has catered for teams and SCCA races at the track, is taking over the space. The release says it'll carry other items TBD. It also says St. John pulled out because of a decline in volunteers to run the stand, at least partially because of COVID-19.

As someone who's been to at least one event at the track, more usually four to six, every year since 1984, I'm holding off judgment on this until I see the menu and sample the food. St. John had a number of items not available at the many other stands, and I'll miss the fresh fruit, wraps (I don't partake of brats every day if I'm there for the weekend), pie slices and soft-serve ice cream that it offered. And, anyway, The Gear Box has BBQ sandwiches as well (try the box that includes cole slaw and the hot, seasoned, buttered and absolutely scrumptious RGP Potatoes).

#19 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 00:41

PARKER JOHN'S BBQ & WINGS
COMES TO ROAD AMERICA

- A Partnership in Collaboration With America's National Park of Speed - 

ELKHART LAKE, Wis., January 28, 2021 Road America announced today that Parker John's BBQ and Wings has entered into a new collaborative operative partnership with Road America's new Paddock Concession Stand beginning with the 2021 season. The stand, which has been managed by St. John the Baptist for 65 years, saw a complete rebuild before the 2020 season. The modern structure features enclosed patio seating for fans looking to dine in the shade, plus a large dining terrace overlooking Road America's expanded Fan Walk. Additional amenities include flat-screen monitors for menus and information, stainless steel counters, a commercial kitchen, and sneeze guards provided by CTECH Manufacturing, allowing for a completely safe ordering experience. St. John the Baptist staff decided not to return to the stand after volunteer help declined in 2020.

"St. John the Baptist has been a mainstay in the paddock since Road America began, and they will certainly be missed," said Road America's President and General Manager, Mike Kertscher. "They are part of our history and built many memories with fans. We offer our sincerest appreciation to all the organizers and volunteers for their tireless efforts and for helping make Road America what it is today. We also welcome Parker John's in this new collaboration effort and look forward to 2021." 

Fans and racers have always given Road America high praise for having the best track food. Racers and fans alike return each year and make their way around the track hitting all their favorite concessions for traditional fare and comfort food with a unique twist using the highest quality ingredients and preparation. The owners of Parker John's BBQ and Pizza have a long relationship with Road America, going back to 2007 when they were just getting their feet wet as new owners of the Millhome Supper Club in nearby Kiel, Wisconsin. The original Parker John's opened in 2008 in Kiel and has been associated with the track ever since by delivering meals to various race teams and catering large scale SCCA events. 

"Jen and I are beyond excited to bring our BBQ and wings to the racers and fans out at Road America," said Aaron Sloma, Owner of Parker John's BBQ. "When the opportunity became available there was no question that this was something that we needed to do. Our relationship with the track goes back to 2007 and was always a big part of who we were as a company and helped contribute to our growth. Being able to hang our shingle so to speak at a permanent location at the track shows us the trust they put in us. Our entire team at Parker John's knows we have some big shoes to fill. We look forward to the 2021 season and serving the great fans, teams and everyone else that isn't afraid to get a little sauce on their shirt."  

The new Parker John's BBQ and Wings stand will feature award-winning BBQ and hickory smoked wings along with other concession tested favorites centered around popular items featured in their restaurants. A new menu is in the works for 2021, and Parker John's encourages fans to stop by and check out the new Parker John's BBQ & Wings stand when they are at America's National Park of Speed.

Tickets are now available for the 2021 season, and fans are welcome. Additional event details, ticket pricing, season passes, and camping information can be found at www.roadamerica.com or by calling 800-365-7223. Anyone 16-years-old and under is FREE with a paying adult at the gate. Racing runs rain or shine.

###

Advertisement

#20 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 00:51

I gotta get back up there. The '89 CART race waz a loooooooong time ago!

#21 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,021 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:13

As a person who went to Road America at least two times a year for over a decade, then took a long break, when I went back first time in the aughts, all seemed well, when I went back three years ago, after the Billy Mitchel Bridge was gone, not only was that lacking but some of the food quality at stands seemed to have lost the glimmer that made them one of the big reasons to return to Road America.

Now BBQ ribs and wings are around here as common Mickey D's and Hardee's but good German food, and even good old fashioned fair grounds type burgers are rare , so , to me, it is a major loss and more of same old, same old.

#22 SKL

SKL

• 1,412 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:33

And next you're going to tell me they're tearing down the pagoda??????????

#23 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:55

And next you're going to tell me they're tearing down the pagoda??????????

Or allowing Mazda Miatas in historics!

#24 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 17:25

As a person who went to Road America at least two times a year for over a decade, then took a long break, when I went back first time in the aughts, all seemed well, when I went back three years ago, after the Billy Mitchel Bridge was gone, not only was that lacking but some of the food quality at stands seemed to have lost the glimmer that made them one of the big reasons to return to Road America.

Now BBQ ribs and wings are around here as common Mickey D's and Hardee's but good German food, and even good old fashioned fair grounds type burgers are rare , so , to me, it is a major loss and more of same old, same old.

Before you decry the end of civilization, give it a try. Further, I am sure that they will have bratwurst.

#25 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 18:17

I am fairly certain that there is no race track catering in the UK that anyone would feel any nostalgia over.  Mostly bad burgers with soggy onions and warm beer in plastic 'glasses' .

#26 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 19:12

I am fairly certain that there is no race track catering in the UK that anyone would feel any nostalgia over.  Mostly bad burgers with soggy onions and warm beer in plastic 'glasses' .

Back in the pre MSV days the Chief Medical Officer once assured marshals during his training day lecture that it was safe to eat "Brands Hatch rat burgers". Standards of catering have improved since Mr Palmer took over.

#27 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 224 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 19:38

I am fairly certain that there is no race track catering in the UK that anyone would feel any nostalgia over. Mostly bad burgers with soggy onions and warm beer in plastic 'glasses' .

#28 John Ginger

John Ginger

• 224 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 19:40

I am fairly certain that there is no race track catering in the UK that anyone would feel any nostalgia over. Mostly bad burgers with soggy onions and warm beer in plastic 'glasses' .

Oh I don’t know, the Mallory breakfast became fairly legendary around these parts not so long ago 😎

#29 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 19:48

Indeed.

F658795-C-D4-A0-4426-842-A-4-DD8-A06-B22

(Small Mallory breakfast - 2011)

#30 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 22:11

Blimey, how many eggs do you get with the large version !! And where are the beans?  :)

#31 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:34

It’s only ‘small’ because I declined several of the other items on offer (including the beans) so that I’d actually be able to walk around for the rest of the day. My chum had the full Monty, and ate it all. :eek:

#32 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:28

And where are the beans?  :)

Wot, no bratwurst? 

#33 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,057 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:59

Brands Hatch regulars surviving from the John Webb era expect to exire one day from Minter's stomach. Minter's provided "somethng to eat" but we never referred to it as food.

#34 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 22:42

Probably best if food can be served without religious connotations 

#35 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 01:28

Uh, Oh........

;-)

#36 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:56

Good Lord!  I'm blessed if I had made the connection.  I must confess it doesn't bother me though.

I guess you don't like Angel Delight?

#37 10kDA

10kDA

• 991 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 12:12

You get to choose where you buy your lunch, and I get to do the same. But a currently fashionable sense of outrage doesn't empower anyone to make choices for others. If you don't like it, just do that "cancel culture" thing. 

After all, Graham Hill once portrayed SJB. I saw it on TV. That's enough of a valid connection for me.  ;)

#38 opplock

opplock

• 950 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 13:16

Being an atheist doesn't deter me from walking the dog round the local churchyard most days. Unless they tried to convert me I'd see no reason for refusing to buy their food.   

#39 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 14:49

Hey PacQuay, thanks for reminding me how much I don’t miss The Paddock Club.

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,208 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 19:36

Hey PacQuay, thanks for reminding me how much I don’t miss The Paddock Club.

Bullseye Eric!!!

Now,

I once got hallucinations from a cup of coffee at IMS.

The used these old Folgers coffee bags that you'd dip in hot water.

Disgusting.

Always LOVED a good trackside brat though.

Can't wait to have another ASAP.

Jp

#41 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 00:23

Always nice seeing you here, Jon. Hang out more often. :-)

We were raised in the Land o’ Brats. Not Germany Michael, near Road America — ;-) — and we prep pretty special ones here in Westfalia.
(I know this adds to national confusion)

Cast iron stir-fry red peppers, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and chipotle mustard. Add brats, douse in beer — (PBR, if you’re anybody) — cook and brown, chow on down.

Serve with additional PBR, to excess if desired.

#42 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:58

PBR difficult to get over here, and I'm not so hot on hot food, so I'll stick with my "recipe": brat in a bun! :)

#43 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,208 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 13:08

Always nice seeing you here, Jon. Hang out more often. :-)

We were raised in the Land o’ Brats. Not Germany Michael, near Road America — ;-) — and we prep pretty special ones here in Westfalia.
(I know this adds to national confusion)

Cast iron stir-fry red peppers, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and chipotle mustard. Add brats, douse in beer — (PBR, if you’re anybody) — cook and brown, chow on down.

Serve with additional PBR, to excess if desired.

Well thanks E1. I really should hang out here.

Seeing as RC is full of random internet people extolling the virtues of their favorite car or pilot (having never been trackside, let alone worked for a team or driver.)

and PC is, well..you know.

I posted on the Day of a Champion thread here after seeing the documentary the other night.

Seems more and more stuff I watch is 'nostalgia' based

Got the Westfalia reference !!

My neighbor has one and I'm always seeing him loading it up for clandestine trips to wherever.

Is PBR still cheap as ever out there? I ask because I am now getting a case of Staropramen for less than £1.00 per bottle at my local Majestic Wine merchant so that's my go to tipple. Been cooking lot's of comfort foods with added Tabasco and HP sauce (Hot and sweet, like the Southern girls I adore)

All the best,

Jp

#44 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 16:51

Thanks, Bud.

That’s why TNF rules. Some Real Deal people here, who actually worked with the Greats, and gift us with their regaling. We bicker sometimes but grudges are seldom drawn out for long.

Yep, PBR is cheap. We were raised near the Family in Wisconsin, so have some allegiance. Prefer Samuel Adams, but it’s too good for brats. There, I said it.

Nice post you linked. :-)

#45 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 525 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 17:41

Thanks, Bud.

That’s why TNF rules. Some Real Deal people here, who actually worked with the Greats, and gift us with their regaling. We bicker sometimes but grudges are seldom drawn out for long.

Yep, PBR is cheap. We were raised near the Family in Wisconsin, so have some allegiance. Prefer Samuel Adams, but it’s too good for brats. There, I said it.

Nice post you linked. :-)

Turn in your cheesehead hat if you're going to be that disloyal.

#46 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 17:56

Know I own no cheese grater hats. ;-)

#47 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,021 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 18:05

If you want to flavour you Brat , or hotdogs for that mater, a dark ale gives you more for the money but then it is more money for the flavour.

I grew up with:

Kielbasa

Knockwurst

Bratwurst

Blutwurst

Mettwurst

Cervelat

Braunschweiger (a chub of ****)

Frankfurters

and Wieners, skin-on butcher shop preferred but some commercial brands back then were actually pretty good.

I often heard Dad's Mom telling him or Grandpa -- go get me some ------  WURST (she always put emphsis on the word wurst.

Around here when I was young there were many butcher-shop/lockers , often located a few miles out in the country where there would be a church, creamery and store (attached to the butchershop) , often with a small 3.2 beer bar plus the ones in town.

Grandma would tell them which ones to go to for the type of wurst she wanted. (I grew up in a metropolis of 4,600 when I was born that had 3 bakeries, 4 grocery stores and 3 railroads, but as I said the surrounding country side was full of Germanic crossroads with such places as in the winter roads often did not get plowed for days after a big storm, so they could literally truck, and some people still had horses and sleigh for winter.

By the time I was 10 it had faded fast but the Wurst never went away.

#48 Obster

Obster

• 195 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 18:27

Sorry to hear this. Never been to RA-yet-but this stand was legendary.

I enjoyed the similar charity stands at Sebring run by the Lions and Kiwanis.

Always made a point to stop by.

#49 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 20:51

North Central Midwest, i.e. Wisc., Minn. and Iowa although it is fading, has STRONG German traditions (ignore all the Scandinavian babble about Minn. Germans outnumbered them 3 to 1,) and there are many places where that is still quite obvious.

Regarding beer & wurst here are recommendations for further reading:
J. Ryan Stradal: The Lager Queen of Minnesota
Louise Erdrich: The Master Butchers Singing Club
In 2018 Erdrich’s book supplied the motives for a German TV movie called „Der Club der singenden Metzger“.

#50 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,452 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 21:52

That lager website immediately brought up a security warning on my phone...