23 replies to this topic

#1 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,819 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:29

The 10 minutes are gone! 

https://www.formula1...jGKdAr2C3e.html

Would have preferred that they got rid of the hour for European races as well, but it's at least something. 

I think also the reduction of half an hour makes sense. Probably wont change much for the running time though. 

Advertisement

#2 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:40

Very unhappy with the reduction in practice time. Totally unnecessary.

The teams will still run exactly the same plans and total laps as before, but it will be far more busy and messy. Sure, this might be interesting at face value, but it's practice, it's not supposed to be 60 minutes of constant action.

At least with 90 minutes the teams get to spread themselves out and "take turns" as to who goes out when, giving the viewer a nice variety. With the sessions condensed, everyone will be out at the same time, and the TV cameras can only follow one car at any one time, so it will simply end up being an exercise in watching live timing, just like qualifying.

#3 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,731 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:41

I think this is a direct result of Jack Nicholls taking the piss and wasting everyone's time during Radio 5's free practice coverage. The devil makes work for idle mouths.

#4 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 10:57

The 10 minutes are gone! 

https://www.formula1...jGKdAr2C3e.html

Would have preferred that they got rid of the hour for European races as well, but it's at least something. 

I think also the reduction of half an hour makes sense. Probably wont change much for the running time though. 

They have?

Races are starting at 1300 UK time now, no?

Edit: No you are right

Edited by f1paul, 29 January 2021 - 11:00.

#5 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,425 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:04

Welt, that was the hour back i wanted more. Don't really care for the 10 min thing.

#6 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,601 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:27

Welt, that was the hour back i wanted more. Don't really care for the 10 min thing.

See it as progress. In 6 seasons, we will have our hour back!

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 11:57

As a TV viewer I'm not fussed about it. It could make things slightly harder for the teams, especially with the lack of in-season testing they may struggle to test new parts. It's the paying spectator who will ultimately be the loser.

#8 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:13

Less FP means less time for the teams to optimise set-ups, which will lead to subtle changes in the relative performances of the teams.  I agree that the track will be more crowded initially, but I expect that teams will respond to this by doing fewer laps per session.

#9 ArchieTech

ArchieTech

• 3,349 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:14

The reduction of free practice time makes me think it will be less likely for junior drivers to get a run now.

I would also have liked to have the European rounds moved back to their usual timeslot.

#10 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,961 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 13:40

Less time watching F1 cars for the already high ticket price. Brilliant.

#11 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 4,492 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 13:42

Less time watching F1 cars for the already high ticket price. Brilliant.

Almost same amount of laps will be run, though. Less time watching empty track.

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 13:45

Almost same amount of laps will be run, though. Less time watching empty track.

That's the assumption, but might not actually work out like that. Often time is lost when they are testing and changing parts, they won't be able to make those laps up.

#13 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,793 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 13:56

Not being put back to 1pm is irritating; I was hoping to have my Sunday afternoons back. 

#14 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 15:11

Pretty tough for the rookies... even LESS practice (coupled with less pre-season testing, and practically NO in-season testing).  And if anything goes wrong during that already short session...  :well:

The reality is that it'll probably just hurt the smaller teams, as usual.  The top teams will pull off their sessions like clockwork anyways and/or dial in their setups from their extensive data and simulations.  Wouldn't be surprised if this just widens the gap.

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,731 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 15:15

I thought F1 had already announced that European races would be starting at 1pm UK time? So much for that.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,271 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 15:37

Pretty tough for the rookies... even LESS practice (coupled with less pre-season testing, and practically NO in-season testing).  And if anything goes wrong during that already short session...  :well:

The reality is that it'll probably just hurt the smaller teams, as usual.  The top teams will pull off their sessions like clockwork anyways and/or dial in their setups from their extensive data and simulations.  Wouldn't be surprised if this just widens the gap.

As if the rookies use the entire practice sessions.

F1 needs less practice and more testing. They need the testing to sort out car development, but they don't need to have everything nailed for each race weekend.

#17 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,601 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 08:39

*bump*

Verstappen chips in: https://www.motorspo...a-rain/6657659/

I hope we have the 14.00 CET back next season.

#18 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,204 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 20:04

As an American viewer I hope the start time stays right where it is now. 9:00 AM on the east coast is perfect, and the accordingly following times westward are not as prohibitive for those viewers.

Mandating every start time be earlier is using a hammer where a scalpel is needed. Allowing flexibility within the rules to start races earlier in the event of specifically difficult situations is all that need be done.

#19 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,901 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 20:21

Phew, this is just an old thread. Thought they were cutting free practice time again, like 30 minutes per session. Eventually they won't have any practice at all, and apparently no race either, so F1 weekend = qualifying. :drunk:

Advertisement

#20 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,601 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 21:43

As an American viewer I hope the start time stays right where it is now. 9:00 AM on the east coast is perfect, and the accordingly following times westward are not as prohibitive for those viewers.

Mandating every start time be earlier is using a hammer where a scalpel is needed. Allowing flexibility within the rules to start races earlier in the event of specifically difficult situations is all that need be done.

We had 14.00 for ages. 

And IndyCar shows little leniency for us Europeans with 3.00 AM starting times. ;)

#21 Mark521

Mark521

• 531 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 23:30

As an American East Coast viewer I'd prefer the earlier start time (1pm CET, 7am ET) but that kills any US West Coast audience.  The recent Belgium GP killed most of my Sunday.

I suspect that we're stuck with the current timing.

#22 danmills

danmills

• 3,169 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 23:32

Thread date check! 

Edited by danmills, 31 August 2021 - 23:33.

#23 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 02:15

The less practice time is ridiculous for all the fans that actually go to the track.  :mad:  :down:

#24 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 07:05

Yes, would be great to have the older start times back. At tracks like Spa, it would have given us 1 additional hour of daylight to wait out the storm, plus the rain was not as heavy in the afternoon.