Photo
- - - - -

Lewis Hamilton extends for one year at Mercedes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
727 replies to this topic

Poll: Hamilton extension (190 member(s) have cast votes)

What will be the Mercedes line-up in 2022?

1. Hamilton/Bottas (13 votes [6.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.84%

2. Hamilton/Russell (75 votes [39.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

3. Hamilton/Verstappen (2 votes [1.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.05%

4. Bottas/Russell (32 votes [16.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.84%

5. Bottas/Verstappen (3 votes [1.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.58%

6. Verstappen/Russell (46 votes [24.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.21%

7. A different line-up that includes Bottas but none of the other drivers mentioned above (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. A different line-up that includes Hamilton but none of the other drivers mentioned above (0 votes [0.00%])

9. A different line-up that includes Russell but none of the other drivers mentioned above (8 votes [4.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.21%

10. A different line-up that includes Verstappen but none of the other drivers mentioned above (2 votes [1.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.05%

11. None of the drivers mentioned above (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Screw it, Merc bails at the end of 2021! (9 votes [4.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.74%

Will Lewis Hamilton retire at the end of 2021?

1. Yes (93 votes [48.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.95%

2. No, but he will join a different team (10 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

3. No, he will stay at Mercedes (87 votes [45.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.79%

Vote

#1 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:21

One year ago at this time we were discussing when Hamilton will extend his contract, so inevtiably after he did it now we start all over again  :p 

I believe that they simply couldnt agree to a long-term deal due to the financial situation right now, and thus will probably later in the year discuss again, hence only one year for now. But obviously there are many other possible reasons, including a retirement.

Advertisement

#2 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,395 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:24

Instant reaction after a 1 year deal is that it's his last year and Max must be lined up to replace him 2022. Can't understand why there wouldn't be a 2 year deal. Also expected Lewis to want to try the new car in 2022.

Russell definitely will be in the car in 2022, it's just whether it's Lewis or Max alongside him.

#3 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:26

It's his last year imo. Will win his 8th WDC and retire as king. Doesn't get better than that.

#4 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:26

Lewis to retire at the end of this season, Max to join George for 2022.

Edited by GoldenColt, 08 February 2021 - 11:27.

#5 w00dy

w00dy

• 1,306 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:28

Good for him. Wanting to go out on the top.
Merc probably wanted 2years, to have continuity, but that’s somewhat a risk for Lewis.

Now we will get Bottas for 2022.

#6 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:29

To me this feels sort of like a placeholder deal, they couldn't agree a multi-year deal but Mercedes needed him for this season.

#7 Dicun

Dicun

• 975 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:31

Let me repost what I posted in the What date will Lewis sign for Mercedes in 2021? thread.

I sincerely hope Bottas, courtesy of the Red Bull boys, will end up 4th in the WDC. He has been the incumbent Mercedes driver in the other car for far too long and signing Russell instead of him can't come soon enough. 2022 might just turn the pecking order upside down enough for us to finally enjoy a competitive championship for the drivers' title after so many years, who knows. But if not, the best we can hope for is that Russell gets signed instead of Bottas - the sooner, the better. It would be a shame for both Hamilton and the fans of F1 if he is to finish his career by collecting his umpteenth title whilst still competing alongside a teammate who has, had and will have absolutely nothing on him.

#8 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 1,555 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:31

I guess we should all hail Brani. Didnt he had a visions of this contract when he looked upon the clouds in the sky?

#9 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:33

I actually think Hamilton has been pretty clever here, by refusing to commit to a long term deal he's given himself options and greater negotiating power in future, if Mercedes look like falling off the top he can either retire or move elsewhere, if they don't he can just wait it out till late pre-season each year to confirm the feedback on the new car is good then sign up to a 1 year deal.

it keeps him in the sport and allows him to decide how he does things, Mercedes must value him very highly to wait it out like this as well, from Lewis point of view he knows his value and knows his position very well so this makes sense for him imo. 

#10 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Nobody has Feb 8 on the poll when I looked this morning   ;)  Someone did have Feb 9 though.... :p

Anyway not important, what is important is the rumour mill for 2022 will be going round and round A LOT this year

#11 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,744 posts

Shame to those who doubted him

#12 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,793 posts

I guess we should all hail Brani. Didnt he had a visions of this contract when he looked upon the clouds in the sky?

Him and 80% of the poll respondents, yeah. But I admire Brani's lack of tolerance for BS.

#13 renzmann

renzmann

• 5,995 posts

Congratulations on another epic championship title, Lewis! Get in there!

On topic: I hope it'll be Verstappen/Russell in 2022, but I think Toto won't go for two alphas (even if Verstappen would quickly establish himself as the no. 1 driver IMO). Bottas it is, then - with Russell as the team's top driver. Toto might as well close his young drivers program if went for Verstappen instead.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:34

I actually think Hamilton has been pretty clever here, by refusing to commit to a long term deal he's given himself options and greater negotiating power in future, if Mercedes look like falling off the top he can either retire or move elsewhere, if they don't he can just wait it out till late pre-season each year to confirm the feedback on the new car is good then sign up to a 1 year deal.

it keeps him in the sport and allows him to decide how he does things, Mercedes must value him very highly to wait it out like this as well, from Lewis point of view he knows his value and knows his position very well so this makes sense for him imo.

Yeah, Lewis has entered the Ayrton Senna phase of his career.

Watch out for the race-by-race contract in 2022  ;)

#15 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:38

I see two scenarios, and in both Hamilton will retire:

Either it's Bottas&Russell: Bottas for continuity and experience continues as the wingman for Russell - kinda like Coulthard did when Raikkonen came in at Mclaren.

or

it's Max&Russell: if Merc are able to get Verstappen, they will. If they won't, they'll keep Bottas for another one year deal.

I see no reason why Hamilton would've signed for one year only if he intends to stay longer in the sport. I suggest everyone enjoys his races, because these may be the last we'll see from him.

Edited by Piif, 08 February 2021 - 11:38.

#16 renzmann

renzmann

• 5,995 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:38

All reports I've read the past week suggest it rather was Mercedes refusing to commit. Hamilton supposedly wanted a three-year-deal. If reports were true, Hamilton must have had little leverage indeed. People stating Russell has weakened Hamilton's position with his superb performance might have been very right.

#17 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,380 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:39

I don't think many people doubted that he would finally sign, but a one-year contract means there have been serious disagreements between the parties.

#18 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,130 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:40

I think Toto & Lewis have been clever by keeping their options open!

#19 MattK9

MattK9

• 818 posts

Instant reaction after a 1 year deal is that it's his last year and Max must be lined up to replace him 2022. Can't understand why there wouldn't be a 2 year deal. Also expected Lewis to want to try the new car in 2022.

Russell definitely will be in the car in 2022, it's just whether it's Lewis or Max alongside him.

Whatever differences they have, it wasnt strong enough to stop them signing a contract for this year. Ultimately this year is going to be more of the same, a continuation of previous regs with modifications, whereas next year Merc will need Lewis much more than this year. Things will be different in 12 months time so a one year contract makes sense.

It will be interesting to know what the sticking points of the contract were and who conceded in the negotiations. 

Advertisement

#20 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,497 posts

Where is Branislav when you need him?

#21 sennamaster

sennamaster

• 488 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:42

Nice to see he has signed. 

#22 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:43

One year ago at this time we were discussing when Hamilton will extend his contract, so inevtiably after he did it now we start all over again  :p 

I believe that they simply couldnt agree to a long-term deal due to the financial situation right now, and thus will probably later in the year discuss again, hence only one year for now. But obviously there are many other possible reasons, including a retirement.

Yes I agree.  I think this is a stop-gap agreement to cover the coming year while allowing them to hammer out the terms they couldn't agree on for the longer period.  If it was retirement planned at the end of the year I feel they would have announced it at the same time

#23 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,380 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:44

There will be a major rules change at the end of this year, so would have needed a minimum of two years to look if Mercedes is still at the top of the game.

#24 Coral

Coral

• 6,786 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:46

I think this will be Lewis's last year in F1...I thought that even before the one-year contract was announced. 2022 will likely be Max and Russell at Mercedes, unless Bottas can confound expectations and win the 2021 WDC! :)

#25 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 1,110 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:46

Another year of enjoying the tears of his deniers. Love to see it.

#26 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:47

I think this could be interpreted in more than one way tbh.  It's possible that Hamilton refused to commit to the longer term, as you say, but it's equally possible that it's Mercedes who refused to do so, or siply that neither could agree anything longer.  I don't think we can say for sure based on the limited (i.e. non-existent) information we have at present

Edited by shure, 08 February 2021 - 11:48.

#27 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:52

I think this could be interpreted in more than one way tbh.  It's possible that Hamilton refused to commit to the longer term, as you say, but it's equally possible that it's Mercedes who refused to do so, or siply that neither could agree anything longer.  I don't think we can say for sure based on the limited (i.e. non-existent) information we have at present

yeah, it's pretty hard to tell IMO

I can see both being happy with this though. Lewis is in an age where it does make sense to decide year-on-year, and if somebody like Max becomes available (maybe he doesnt) it's good for Merc to keep their options open.

What would be an interesting scenario is if a) Lewis retires and b) Merc doesnt get Max, I wonder if they covered that scenario since I doubt that they would be very confident to go into 2022 with Bottas/Russell, maybe they promised to stay together for another year if Merc by Date X hasnt found a equal replacement? Or as I said in the OP maybe they are fully committed for 2022 but the terms cant be agreed yet for obvious reasons.

Edited by Marklar, 08 February 2021 - 11:53.

#28 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,641 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:52

Instant reaction is that he's probably thinking of calling it a day after this year which would be logical but also just my fear, as I'd like to see him continue for a few more years yet. But it's not impossible that he and Mercedes are more than comfortable enough with each other now to go year by year, allowing both parties some freedom depending on their prospects for the new era and feeling to continue.

Even with the covid vaccine it'll be some time before the world returns to anything resembling pre-pandemic life and that must also play a part for Lewis. As good a job as it must be to be an F1 driver, life on the road can't be a whole lot of fun in these times without the freedoms that drivers had previously and this way he can assess his future without being locked into anything long term.

I'd hate to not have Lewis around for the new regulations and he quite clearly is still at the top of his game with more than a season of top racing left in him, but he can't go on forever so whatever will be will be. Enjoy every race of his either way as he'll be missed as much as any of the greats when he does finally retire.

#29 pRy

pRy

• 26,349 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:55

I think that's a risky strategy personally. Especially the last part. Many drivers have fallen victim to the belief that they're more powerful than the team that employs them. Yes, Lewis has brought great success to Mercedes. But he would be foolish (and I don't believe he is) to believe that only he can do so. Put Max, Seb or a number of other drivers in his seat and Mercedes continue to win as many races in the future as they're winning now if they have the car to do so. Let's not kid ourselves here that Mercedes need Lewis to win races.

At what point does Mercedes decide that they need to secure their long term driver prospects by signing a Max or a George before they're snapped up by rival teams? At what point does Lewis being on a rolling 1 year contract start to get in the way of them doing that?

It's a strange one. I'm not sure why a driver who has been at a team for eight years would need a temporary contract because they can't agree terms on a proper one. That just strikes me as rather odd and there must be something deeper going on. Either Lewis is unhappy with the future setup of the team or he's really not sure he's going to be around in F1 for much longer. And if he really does have the power to keep a one year rolling deal going then kudos to him. I'm not sure any other top driver has been able to pull that off. I'm not sure how likely it is however.

Over to Eddie Jordan.

#30 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 11:58

I think Lewis and Toto have enjoyed the furore and the rumours and the uproar over the contract so much that they chose to make it just one year, so they can do it all again for 2022, then again for 2023, probably right through to 2030.  

#31 NoForumForOldPole

NoForumForOldPole

• 1,232 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:00

Merc already signed Max? Hence 1 year deal and no Verstappen clause?

#32 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,289 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:01

Merc twitter says the contract has no option, so it really seems that it's either a stop-gap contract due to the pandemic or really the end (at least between them) https://twitter.com/...738938886836229

#33 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:03

Time for the 2022 Silly Season thread?

How about:

Max > Mercedes
Ricciardo > Red Bull
Hamilton > McLaren

#34 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:04

You mean there is no seat for great Narain "The Cucumber"  Karthikeyan?

Dissapoint.

#35 Branislav

Branislav

• 3,511 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:12

toto.png

Yes :lol:

#36 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:13

Merc twitter says the contract has no option, so it really seems that it's either a stop-gap contract due to the pandemic or really the end (at least between them) https://twitter.com/...738938886836229

Toto does mention a sporting commitment (1 year), and then longer term... so Hamilton drives for Merc for at least one further year but maintains a longer term commitment after that.

#37 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,921 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:13

If he pisses them around expecting them to wait til Feb again next year to nail down plans, i would imagine he’ll be left out in the cold Schumi style. Especially with the new regs coming in...

#38 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 1,173 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:14

I had hoped for someone at Bottas level, for the excitement.

#39 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 5,981 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:17

As i had said and predicted that there was no doubt Hamilton would sign but it would only be a one year deal. The REAL reasons will never come out so everyone can look at it the way they want to. However logically looking at it, as i had said earlier, Hamilton is careful about who he wants as his teammate and i had also said that every driver will have a stage in his career where he cannot have all his way.

Whether Hamilton continues beyond 2021 is irrelevant what is CRYSTAL CLEAR is that Hamilton will not be the central focus of Mercedes plans beyond 2021. Even if Mercedes will offer him a deal for 2022 it will be at their terms and not his

Edited by Quickshifter, 08 February 2021 - 12:18.

Advertisement

#40 Timorous

Timorous

• 2,282 posts

So Lewis to move to Ferrari in 2022 and win a WDC there as his last hurrah before retiring.

#41 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

The way I see it, if the season goes as expected, it could be a logical point for him to retire. Lewis has every chance to end the season with more than a hundred poles and victories, beating Michael's all time record. I just hope that if this will be his final season then it's because he truly wants to retire and do something else, not because contractual issues between Merc and him.

#42 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:20

If he pisses them around expecting them to wait til Feb again next year to nail down plans, i would imagine he’ll be left out in the cold Schumi style. Especially with the new regs coming in...

A driver of Hamilton's ability will be even more important with the new regulations.

#43 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:23

Obviously a placeholder deal because they couldn't agree longer term, probably a roll on of existing terms. 

Surely it's time to start a when will Lewis sign his next contract thread,  since there is less than a year to go...

#44 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:23

I think that's a risky strategy personally. Especially the last part. Many drivers have fallen victim to the belief that they're more powerful than the team that employs them. Yes, Lewis has brought great success to Mercedes. But he would be foolish (and I don't believe he is) to believe that only he can do so. Put Max, Seb or a number of other drivers in his seat and Mercedes continue to win as many races in the future as they're winning now if they have the car to do so. Let's not kid ourselves here that Mercedes need Lewis to win races.

At what point does Mercedes decide that they need to secure their long term driver prospects by signing a Max or a George before they're snapped up by rival teams? At what point does Lewis being on a rolling 1 year contract start to get in the way of them doing that?

It's a strange one. I'm not sure why a driver who has been at a team for eight years would need a temporary contract because they can't agree terms on a proper one. That just strikes me as rather odd and there must be something deeper going on. Either Lewis is unhappy with the future setup of the team or he's really not sure he's going to be around in F1 for much longer. And if he really does have the power to keep a one year rolling deal going then kudos to him. I'm not sure any other top driver has been able to pull that off. I'm not sure how likely it is however.

Over to Eddie Jordan.

Agreed.  I thought the contract would be for this year only, but I also assumed there'd be an option for 2022.  I don't think we'll be able to determine why they've agreed what they have, but I do wonder whether Mercedes, if it was them who wanted a year only, are thinking that Hamilton's speed might be about to drop off.

#45 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 1,200 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:24

I can't see them putting both Russell and Verstappen in the team. If Russell does turn out to be top level, they'll have a rivalry problem. Great for us, but Mercedes won't want that.
Fair play to Lewis, altho I would dearly love to see him have 1 more proper battle before he goes, if indeed that is his plan..

#46 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:24

Only a year? Beginning of the end? :(

#47 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,623 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:27

Merc already signed Max? Hence 1 year deal and no Verstappen clause?

Not necessarily.

My guess would be Mercedes wanted to keep their options open for 2022 while Lewis didnt want to commit for more than one year as long as he doesn't know who his new team mate is going to be.

#48 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:28

Let’s start the fun all over again in the summer silly season!

#49 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,921 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:32

If Max comes knocking, they’ll drop Hamilton in a flash.

Russell will be praying that Redbull can convince Max to stay. But if this year is a dud for them, with Honda leaving.... Jos will push Max get his itchy feet sorted.

#50 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,921 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:32

Only a year? Beginning of the end? :(

The start of anything is always the beginning of the end....