Photo

Connew restoration

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 17:06

Beginning in 2014, Peter and I, started to 'tidy up' some parts of our old racing car.

The project grew and grew and thanks to the assistance of numerous wonderful people and several really helpful companies, the car was returned to looking something like the vehicle that Francois Migault drove in Austria in 1972.

If you would like to read my version of the rebuild, please click the following link - http://www.barryjboo...storation1.html

Apologies in advance if you happen to be trying to read it on a phone - the picture captions will be hard to see. Laptops are best! 

Advertisement

#2 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 17:26

This is a great story, thank you for sharing  :)

#3 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 18:16

Terrific story--thanks for sharing!  It does look beautiful.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,512 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 18:41

Coo - I'd been wondering where my engine went!

:eek: 

DCN

#5 funformula

funformula

• 515 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 19:37

I love that Connew story. Unbelievable effort back then and no less today.

The whole story is a great gift to all motorsport enthusiasts  :clap:

#6 Gokart Mozart

Gokart Mozart

• 223 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 19:40

Outstanding Barry!

I rarely log on here anymore, but I had to share my excitement for you and all of those who made the Connew's restoration come to light.

All the best-

Jacques

#7 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,207 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 21:00

Fantastic! So well recorded as well.

That was such a special day at Goodwood, 

Have you considered entering Formula 1 in 2022 with the car with the new regulations? I understand the real reason that Lewis Hamilton only took a one year contract so he had the chance to drive the Connew for 2022.   ;)

#8 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,845 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 21:20

:clap:

#9 DaveSmith

DaveSmith

• 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 22:47

I always love reading about the Connew story. :drunk:

#10 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,415 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 00:30

Congratulations, Barry, the car is beautiful!

Kudos to Doug as well.

And, Welcome to Dave Smith!

#11 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,848 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 03:48

Mike Lawrence feature from May 1984 Classic & Sports Car

1984-CSC-Connew-01.jpg

1984-CSC-Connew-02.jpg

1984-CSC-Connew-03.jpg

Stephen

#12 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 04:09

Having learnt about the existence of this car here on TNF it would appear to me that the interest to see the car again inspired many to help out  on its reemergence. Barrys story about the original build inspired many.

It has been a great story and like many idealy I would love to see the car run again. That probably will not happen because of the costs but one can hope :drunk:

But as it is now it is an excellent static display that actually rolls.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 18 February 2021 - 08:09.

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:10

I'm very happy that Barry took me to see the car when I went to England in 2016...

And that I could sit down for a cuppa with Peter and Barry on that Summer's day after looking at the bits in Peter's shed. They still had a lot of work ahead of them to get it back to even a dummied-up completion, but it would certainly be fun for them too.

#14 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:00

As always, such an awesome story. Thanks Barry. 

#15 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 11:59

On a side note: Peter Higham credits Peter Connew as co-designer of the Surtees TS7 and TS9 with John Surtees and Shahab Ahmed.  Does that correctly describe his role, or was he really more "design staff" rather than "designer"?
Note:  he doesn't credit Barry as co-designer of the Connew - only Peter.

Edited by D-Type, 10 April 2021 - 20:56.

#16 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:28

He's right on both counts, Duncan.

Peter and Shahab were very much the designers, who took Surtees' ideas and made them reality.

And as for the Connew, all Peter.

#17 liamski

liamski

• 211 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:43

PSX-20210218-122610.jpg

Ever since I saw the car at Goodwood FOS a couple of years back I've been fascinated by the story. Thanks for the link Barry!

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 23:03

One could compare Peter to Ralph Bellamy in a way...

Ralph was a pupil of Homebush Boys' High School, the 'Class of 1950' including him, Rennmax builder Bob Britton, racing drivers Bob Cutler, Barry Topen, Paul Bolton, Morgan distributor and racing driver Ken Ward and son of famous racer and car constructor Frank Kleinig Sr, Frank Kleinig Jr, who was to build and race Formula Vees.

Ralph was a boat man, however. He went to England to be involved in boat design and construction and then found a terrible lull when his services weren't required. I think the Fastnet disaster had something to do with that, not that he was involved but that there was a downturn as a result of it. So he went off to peddle his drawing-board wares to another field and finished up working with Ron Tauranac.

And it all went from there.

Maybe we should have a thread about people who've come into the sport in a big way through 'back doors' like this?

#19 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 858 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:58

Good feature by Barry in the Hagerty newsletter this morning!

Advertisement

#20 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 514 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:40

Good feature by Barry in the Hagerty newsletter this morning!

https://www.hagerty....to-the-f1-grid/

#21 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:46

Although I did a phone interview with a journalist and a few of my words were reproduced verbatim, I certainly didn't use the phrase 'beer drinking', which I think gave a false impression of the people who built the car.

Indeed, in not far off two years together I cannot recall us ever going to a pub. Apart, that is, for a crossing of Whalebone Lane to the Tollgate pub for cans of Coke and Mars bars during evening sessions in the early days.

Incidentally, Peter reminded that it was 50 years ago on Friday last that we moved into the workshop that was our base for the whole of the Connew story.

A look at Google maps reveals that the line of workshops which included ours, is now gone.

#22 Macca

Macca

• 3,723 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 13:34

Although I did a phone interview with a journalist and a few of my words were reproduced verbatim, I certainly didn't use the phrase 'beer drinking', which I think gave a false impression of the people who built the car.

Indeed, in not far off two years together I cannot recall us ever going to a pub. Apart, that is, for a crossing of Whalebone Lane to the Tollgate pub for cans of Coke and Mars bars during evening sessions in the early days.

Incidentally, Peter reminded that it was 50 years ago on Friday last that we moved into the workshop that was our base for the whole of the Connew story.

A look at Google maps reveals that the line of workshops which included ours, is now gone.

Where exactly were the lock-ups ('workshops' sounds very grand - I think only the two that Scuderia Connew occupied would  qualify!), as Bing Maps aerial view is still around and has older views on their 'birds-eye view' option?

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 11 April 2021 - 13:35.

#23 Macca

Macca

• 3,723 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 14:24

chadwell.jpg

This a an older view from Bing Maps birdseye views, as mentioned above, looking from the west; I believe it shows the right area. As Barry says, google shows now that it looks like there are foundations for new flats on this area of land.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 16 September 2021 - 14:24.

#24 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,304 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 20:33

Ah! I was an engineering student at a college nearby and read of the project in the local newspaper. The article gave the name of Whalebone Lane and I went there one dark, cold, wet, windy evening to see if I could find a lock-up with an F1 project. I was going to offer my ‘expert’ help for free.

After walking around for an hour, I couldn’t find it, so went home.

If only…

#25 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 20:43

Ah, well, the entrance to the yard was round the corner from Whalebone Lane, into the High Road.

That would be why you couldn't find it.

#26 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,640 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:38

Ah! I was an engineering student at a college nearby and read of the project in the local newspaper. The article gave the name of Whalebone Lane and I went there one dark, cold, wet, windy evening to see if I could find a lock-up with an F1 project. I was going to offer my ‘expert’ help for free.

After walking around for an hour, I couldn’t find it, so went home.

If only…

Indeed, if only....but one can dream.  A few years later, in 1976, between school and college, from a phonebox I rang March in Bicester asking for a job.

I'll do anything, I said, as I tried to enter the world of Formula 1, I'll clean the floors. 

We've got cleaners already said the voice at the other end. *

Ah, OK. Beep, beep, beep as the money ran out..

I never made it to Formula 1, can't think why.   ;)  Thank goodness for people like Peter and Barry - plenty of talent and lots of determination.

*somehow I don't think it was Max.

#27 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:00

Is that really where it was? In one of those buildings in the yard next to the library? 

I remember those block of flats on the corner of the traffic lights going up about 15 years ago, but I can't for the life of me remember what was therefore. Someone on Google says it was a sauna which burned down in the 1980s and remained there in that state for 20 years, and before that it was a used car lot. 

chadwell.jpg

This a an older view from Bing Maps birdseye views, as mentioned above, looking from the west; I believe it shows the right area. As Barry says, google shows now that it looks like there are foundations for new flats on this area of land.

Paul M

#28 Victor

Victor

• 1,000 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:47

Fascinating reading. Thank you and congratulations for the phenomenal achievement back then and the wonderful restoration. An amazing and inspiring story.

#29 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 16:56

Today we finally got around to putting our 'Cosworth' photograph up on the wall.  It sits just below our Goodwood F.o.S title board.

wall.jpg

#30 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,616 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:35

Hats off to all concerned. What a great story and a seriously brilliant effort by all of you. Well done.

#31 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 14:49

The car now sports a removable steering wheel, so getting in, and especially out, is much easier. 

Here's a view that you may not have seen before.....

cockpit.jpg

#32 funformula

funformula

• 515 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 15:24

I wonder if the Connew was one of the first F1 cars with a D-shaped steering wheel.

#33 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 15:48

I don't think so. I think there were quite a few around by 1972, but I have no firm evidence.

We were given that wheel by Howden Ganley.  I always assumed it was his spare when he was driving for B.R.M.

#34 just me again

just me again

• 6,665 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 17:49

What does the Dymo stripes on the middle dial say?

#35 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 968 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 22:42

Oil pressure and temperature

David

#36 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,439 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 14:07

I'm very happy that Barry took me to see the car when I went to England in 2016...

And that I could sit down for a cuppa with Peter and Barry on that Summer's day after looking at the bits in Peter's shed. They still had a lot of work ahead of them to get it back to even a dummied-up completion, but it would certainly be fun for them too.

Golly gosh... I visited the shed in Peter's garden with Barry in 2016! My visit was in September. Yours, Ray?