- - - - -

Pirelli 2021

• Please log in to reply
448 replies to this topic

#1 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 17:31

Couldn't find a thread for everyone's favourite tyre company.

Pirelli released the compounds for every race for the F1 season. 8 softs, 3 mediums and 2 hards used at each race

Azerbaijan and Brazil a step softer than 2019.

800_en-table-800.jpg

Edited by f1paul, 19 February 2021 - 17:31.

Advertisement

#2 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 17:33

I wish they would skip tyre compounds like they used to from time to time. Would spice up things a bit. 

Will be interesting how things work if these sprint races go ahead too.

#3 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 17:50

everyone's favourite tyre company.

Nothing against Pirelli but I'd rather have Michelin tyres on my car. They were kicked out of F1 for making them too durable :drunk:

#4 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 18:11

My tyre wishlist:

1. Drop the C1 compound
2. Revert back to two dry compounds per GP
3. Introduce compound gaps on occasion
4. Scrap the Q2 tyre rule

(i.e. basically what we had from 2007-2014)

Having only five compounds in the range and bringing any given three to a race is far too wide a selection. The hardest compound at any given race is often capable of three quarters distance.

We need races to be run on the Soft and Medium for more pitstops and "better" strategies. They will never scrap the three compound rule because 3>2, so I suppose all they can really do is make the hardest compound two steps harder than the Medium, as to discourage the teams from using it.

You hear quite often "just bring softer compounds!", but you can't turn up at Spa with the C5, it's unrepresentative and probably dangerous.

From the announced selection and historical data, barring weather, VSC/SC, crazy tyre pressures, it will be 1 stops everywhere apart from Bahrain, Spain, Hungary, Japan, Brazil, USA. Zandvoort and Saudi unknown.

Edited by TomNokoe, 19 February 2021 - 18:17.

#5 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 18:38

a minute of silence to all F1 editors who have lost about 20 stories by Pirelli announcing them all at once

#6 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 19:01

4. Scrap the Q2 tyre rule

This

What a stupid rule

#7 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 21:05

Ferrari to do a tyre test next week.

Monday on slicks, Tuesday and Wednesday on wets.

https://racingnews36...h-pirelli-tyres

#8 FLB

FLB

• 29,678 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 21:08

a minute of silence to all F1 editors who have lost about 20 stories by Pirelli announcing them all at once

That's honestly the only reason I see for F1 to keep this convoluted tire-compounds-and-their-obligatory-use system going: To keep people talking about Pirelli.

#9 taz

taz

• 557 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:42

I think this is a modified SF90 ?

Hope to see a bigger picture later :)

hASsIb3.jpg

#10 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,875 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 19:53

2022 tyre test today with Merc + Hamilton

https://twitter.com/...3361483776?s=21

https://twitter.com/...8305617921?s=21

#11 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 14:06

For now I'm assuming that the Baku accidents were tyre failures. 

Removing downforce, strengthening tyre sidewall, nothing seems to help Pirelli. 

It's like Pirelli is out of its depth in F1.

#12 Tiakumosan

Tiakumosan

• 1,293 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 14:11

Expect increased pressures and maybe an even heavier construction.

#13 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 14:11

No words  :rolleyes:

65118-F86-E76-F-4-F27-A37-F-653-BFAC8441

#14 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,813 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 14:36

So after Silverstone last year and now this what's the next step? Pirelli telling Max and Lewis that they shouldn't drive so fast as they are?

But again, no biggie, just two guys smashing into the concrete barrier at 300 kph.

#15 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 14:45

Wasn't the Imola puncture last year without warning as well.

#16 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 15:02

"The severity that we measured on telemetry is higher than the simulation," Isola said on Friday. "What we can see is that the teams are stressing the tyres more & we need the real data to judge the real stress, otherwise we have to rely only on the simulation."

#17 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 15:14

I have suspision that Pirelli is resonsible for that.

#18 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 15:15

Verstappen ran almost every lap in clean air on those tires, so less heat and less top speed.

#19 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 15:54

@autosport

Red Bull's Jonathan Wheatley to Michael Masi after Verstappen's tyre failure:

"Michael, I know you're busy, but we had zero warning on that tyre. Consider throwing a red flag so everyone can change tyres."

#F1 #Formula1 #AzerbaijanGP 

The zero warning concerns me, as does the heavy crash by Stroll earlier in the race. I’m starting this thread for people to discuss it, plus somewhere to update with any fallout after the inevitable investigations.

Advertisement

#20 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 15:55

Not only that. Verstappen was perhaps one if the few drivers with the hards always in free air and lower top speeds due to lack of tow.

#21 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,213 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 15:56

It was unforgivable that the failures happened, and it was unforgivable that Red Bull had to instruct Masi to do his job.

#22 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,676 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 15:57

Doesn't Paul Ricard have big long straights as well?  They seriously need to get to the bottom of this. This is a new tire construction for this year and it's looking like we will be having the same talks after Paul Ricard and Silverstone.....

Edited by ARTGP, 06 June 2021 - 15:57.

#23 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,850 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 15:58

I think the next race will have a harder tyre after this one

#24 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 15:58

Silverstone in the heat might lead to more of this.

One day the driver in question and won’t get lucky about the moment the tire blows and will get injured or worse.

#25 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 985 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:17

Silverstone in the heat might lead to more of this.

One day the driver in question and won’t get lucky about the moment the tire blows and will get injured or worse.

IIRC both Kvyat and Stroll had relatively lucky escapes from their tyre failures at Silverstone and Mugello last year. Kvyat flew into a concrete barrier at a pretty scary angle and Stroll's car went up in flames after he got out.

#26 masa90

masa90

• 2,032 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:18

Scary stuff. Just complete lottery. Along with how many drivers over the years have called them out on the quality of them and how it affects them.

But when they just break randomly, on such highspeeds, even with all the work they put into it...

#27 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,810 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:20

I’m sure they’ll still be around for years to come.

Always need to make it about themselves, don’t they?

#28 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:20

I forgot we had an existing thread about tyres so I folded my thread about the frightening tyre blowouts today into this one.

#29 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,676 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:31

Should Pirelli just leave? Why do they keep bidding for the F1 contract? It’s time to let someone else do this. Michelin for example (and don’t say Indy ‘05 lol)

#30 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:38

Twitter as an aside:

Alexander Rossi on Twitter: "@Ericsson_Marcus @F1 @FirestoneRacing manages to do it. ‍♂" / Twitter

#31 NewMrMe

NewMrMe

• 878 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:39

Is  this a different problem to those in the past?

Baku is a track where they have always gone for the softest combination of tyre counpounds. It doesn't have any long corners where you would have sustained high lateral g-forces. Barcelona, one such track has been run this year and that has been fine. Other tracks like that typically run the hardest tyre compound selections.

What Baku does have is the longest straight of the season. Is it prolonged periods of very high speed running that is the problem here? I am wondering if the circuit we should be worried about is actually therefore Monza.

#32 Trust

Trust

• 5,155 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:45

Expect increased pressures and maybe an even heavier construction.

Exactly this will happen. Expect more lottery races and tyre warming issues.

#33 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:51

@autosport

Red Bull's Jonathan Wheatley to Michael Masi after Verstappen's tyre failure:

"Michael, I know you're busy, but we had zero warning on that tyre. Consider throwing a red flag so everyone can change tyres."

#F1 #Formula1 #AzerbaijanGP 

The zero warning concerns me, as does the heavy crash by Stroll earlier in the race. I’m starting this thread for people to discuss it, plus somewhere to update with any fallout after the inevitable investigations.

I've never been a fan of Red Bull, but kudos to them for this,  They saw something that went beyond competition and into safety so did the right thing.  :up:

I'm sure in the past other teams have been similarly public spirited, but this time we got to hear it.

#34 ANF

ANF

• 29,368 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 16:55

I'm going to forego Pirelli's investigation and just leave this here.  ;)
(However, they did fill most of it with new tarmac before the cars took to the track on Friday. It's a nice theory though, isn't it?)

Is this tarmac or concrete? And is it even flat? Or will it cause left rear punctures?

Indeed, quite a lot of kerb removed from the Castle section entry.

XPB_1088945_HiRes.jpg

Yeah I would assume the decision to remove the kerb maybe was made after the driver's briefing of yesterday?

This is what it normally looks like.
DGJHAEa.png?1

#35 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 17:46

Lewis Hamilton was potentially at risk of a tyre failure similar to that which put two other drivers out of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Max Verstappen and Lance Stroll both crashed out of Sunday’s race at high speed after suffering apparent failures on left-rear tyres. Pirelli’s head of Formula 1 Mario Isola confirmed Hamilton also had a seven centimetre cut on his left-rear tyre.[/size]

“Probably in the case of Lewis, the cut was not deep enough to cut the construction, so he was lucky because of all of that,” said Isola. “And in the case of Max and Lance, there was an air loss and therefore a failure.”
Isola confirmed the damage to Hamilton’s tyre was discovered when the race was stopped following Verstappen’s crash.
“We found a cut on the inside shoulder of a rear-left tyre used by Lewis Hamilton in the same stint,” he explained. “The cut was quite deeper and bigger, probably six or seven centimetres, but not cutting the construction. So the tyre was still in one piece.
“When there was the red flag and Lewis came to the pit lane and changed the set of tyres, we have been able to find the cut in the tyre.”

https://www.racefans...cover-cut-tyre/

#36 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,353 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 18:04

Doesn't Paul Ricard have big long straights as well?  They seriously need to get to the bottom of this. This is a new tire construction for this year and it's looking like we will be having the same talks after Paul Ricard and Silverstone.....

Even it if has, there're like 100km of run off in every direction until there's some wall  :p

Edited by r4mses, 06 June 2021 - 18:06.

#37 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,752 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 18:20

Fair play to RB for pushing the red flag. In the end they got reward with Lewis mistake but safety first over results is something to be applauded at. 

Pirelli pushed it one step too far with 3 softer compounds this year. Why change a winning formula? Tyres were never a problem last few years here 

#38 Wolbo

Wolbo

• 12,530 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 18:25

Pirelli pushed it one step too far with 3 softer compounds this year. Why change a winning formula? Tyres were never a problem last few years here 

In both instances it was the C3 tyre that blew up and that compound is always part of the mix.

#39 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,676 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 18:27

In both instances it was the C3 tyre that blew up and that compound is always part of the mix.

Yeah I don't think it has anything to do with compound. More like engineering failure.  The grip of the actual rubber has nothing to do with the sidewalls blowing out. 

Edited by ARTGP, 06 June 2021 - 18:28.

Advertisement

#40 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,752 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 18:30

Except that it was the medium tyres last year and the harder tyres team used to one stopping is more durable. Nobody used mediums for one stop last year. 

#41 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,677 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 18:43

Baku is a very dangerous track for this to happen on. The first part of the "straight" is corners so if a tyre had blown out there, they might have done more than just crash along the wall.

#42 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,676 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 18:50

Except that it was the medium tyres last year and the harder tyres team used to one stopping is more durable. Nobody used mediums for one stop last year. 

But then why did Pirelli predictions say a 1 stop with 40 laps on the hard was the quickest strategy if they didn't think the hards could actually do 40 laps without exploding.

Edited by ARTGP, 06 June 2021 - 18:51.

#43 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,993 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 19:00

https://www.racefans...cover-cut-tyre/

Absolutely shocking. They need to get to the bottom of this. Whether it was the concrete/tarmac at the entry of the castle complex, some kerb having a sharp edge, or just plain wear over and above anticipated, I’d imagine the drivers aren’t jumping for joy at the prospect of doing another race until the cause of these failures has been clarified.

#44 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,478 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 19:34

Some interesting quotes from Pirelli today about how the loads the cars are putting on them are greater than expected via the simulator.

Must say, I'm very worried about Spa and Silverstone. Even France and Monza.

I can't see a way out of this other than to increase the tyre pressures like Silverstone 2 last year or to enforce two stops.

#45 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,752 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 19:35

But then why did Pirelli predictions say a 1 stop with 40 laps on the hard was the quickest strategy if they didn't think the hards could actually do 40 laps without exploding.

Yeah that was the mistake and they have to investigate it. But like what Max suspected, they will just blame debris. 

#46 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,676 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 19:37

Some interesting quotes from Pirelli today about how the loads the cars are putting on them are greater than expected via the simulator.

I can't see a way out of this other than to increase the tyre pressures like Silverstone 2 last year or to enforce two stops.

Enforcing pitstops would turn the championship into a farce I must say.

#47 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 19:46

Indeed - a failure at Eau Rouge/Raidillon is an unpleasant thought.

#48 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,478 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 20:05

Not sure about that. It would at least get drivers pushing more throughout again.

#49 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,300 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 20:18

This is the fourth event I can remember where we've had tyres apparently spontaneously failing at high speed. Something really has to be done, because eventually someone will get hurt when a tyre randomly fails.

It would be bad if this happened once. It would be bad if it wasimited to one season. But four races in four different seasons is unacceptable. Clearly lessons have not been learned.

Edited by Spillage, 06 June 2021 - 20:19.

#50 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 20:35

A pitstop has been mandatory for many a year now, adding another won't make it any more of a farce.