- - - - -

F1 Merchandise

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,920 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:20

So I just got an email inviting me to purchase some of the Official F1 merchandise...

https://f1store.form...e_OtherTeams_EM

What a load of generic awful garbage - they obviously think folk will buy it ‘because it’s official merch’... it looks like ripoff stuff you’d find being sold down the market

46-AD9-DD0-4-E23-4-F7-D-9-A51-036-C8-BC9
062-B6201-4-AF2-4358-9717-6-F1-C0-CE8-D1
65-BF2972-C9-F4-4-DA4-965-C-4-CB566-BBCD
CEDF9-F44-D2-D4-42-E2-87-BD-59-DFF1-FBAF
upload images

What’s the worst bit of F1 merchandise you’ve seen/bought? And what’s the best bit?

Advertisement

#2 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:22

Worst F1 merch?  All of it.  For the best, stick to caps and mugs...

#3 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,089 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:51

I’m not sure why anyone would want to buy ‘F1’ branded stuff...it’s a bit like buying a t-shirt with ‘Premier League’ on with football. Surely it’s all about wearing particular team colours?

They’ll still make thousands from gullible people buying this overpriced tat, though.

#4 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,920 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:57

I’m not sure why anyone would want to buy ‘F1’ branded stuff...it’s a bit like buying a t-shirt with ‘Premier League’ on with football. Surely it’s all about wearing particular team colours?

They’ll still make thousands from gullible people buying this overpriced tat, though.

Middle aged dads will wear this out to the local DIY store on a Sunday.

#5 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:18

the £50 quid mens jacket is not that bad - quality is pretty decent i nearly bought it at silverstone 2019 when i was freezing on race day - didnt in the end

team merch is also a bit of a rip off, especially womens stuff where there isnt as much choice imo - i prefer non sponsered stuff - i got a ferrari tshirt when i was at monaco in 17 and bought another similar one on ebay last year for much cheaper

#6 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,920 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:31

The ‘fan village’ at races is ridiculously priced. But then I’m usually in the £100 for 3 days seats at Spa and not the grandstand package 🤣

#7 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,089 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:34

the £50 quid mens jacket is not that bad - quality is pretty decent i nearly bought it at silverstone 2019 when i was freezing on race day - didnt in the end

team merch is also a bit of a rip off, especially womens stuff where there isnt as much choice imo - i prefer non sponsered stuff - i got a ferrari tshirt when i was at monaco in 17 and bought another similar one on ebay last year for much cheaper

All sporting merchandise is overpriced now, it’s quite shocking actually. New vests for NBA teams for example will set you back £100-£200 depending on material.

Football jerseys are regularly £50-60+. F1 merchandise has always been pretty expensive though. Shame really, they’d make more money if they cut their prices back a little bit on jackets and coats. Not many people will want to spend £150 on a Mercedes raincoat.

#8 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,383 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:13

I used to be able to pick up generic official 'F1' branded t-shirts from Tesco for about £6 around 10 years ago.  They were not bad for lazing about the house in but I wouldn't wear them out (but then I wouldn't wear any F1 merchandise out unless going to a race).  These prices are very steep but all F1 merch is pricey.  

#9 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,920 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:17

It’s more the lazy/crap designs. I expect them to be pricey, but the new logo was widely derided by fans when it was introduced (remember the outrage!)... so to just whack together some black fleeces and T-shirt’s and whack a shitty red logo on them...

For all the money f1 has spent on social media, and new staff/avenues... you think they’d have recruited someone who could turn out some pieces that aren’t so generic

Or most likely, they have... someone’s spent a few months ‘designing’ those

#10 Imperial

Imperial

• 4,820 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:43

Bought a Rockingham hoodie at Rockingham 20 years ago near the end of the day for about £15, when it was absolutely freezing. Who thought building a north facing grandstand in England would be a good idea...? No idea what happened to my hoodie, but it would go down a treat now as a bit of retro chic.

A lanyard at every F1 race is a must for me, which I always use at work and do look cool if I say so myself, and also allows for a mild air of being a rebel by not using the official lanyard I am supposed to have. They're a joke in price, usually about €20, but if you're going to a race you need a souvenir.

Have bought the odd cap at races, which can look good down at the beach etc.

Team clothing generally just looks totally naff. It just isn't the same as wearing a European football shirt, as they are the same shirts the players wear. You obviously can't walk around in a race suit, but wearing a team shirt makes it look like you are at work.

It does allow people to live in fantasy world though, I've seen a fair few blokes at races wearing Ferrari shirts tucked into red trousers, letting them indulge in their head that they think people are looking at them wondering if they work for the team. I don't think team members leave the pitlane to queue up for an €8 Currywurst...

Edited by Imperial, 20 February 2021 - 11:43.

#11 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,089 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:04

It’s more the lazy/crap designs. I expect them to be pricey, but the new logo was widely derided by fans when it was introduced (remember the outrage!)... so to just whack together some black fleeces and T-shirt’s and whack a shitty red logo on them...

For all the money f1 has spent on social media, and new staff/avenues... you think they’d have recruited someone who could turn out some pieces that aren’t so generic

Or most likely, they have... someone’s spent a few months ‘designing’ those

Does F1/FOM have the rights to use driver faces or names on merchandise? I’m guessing image rights are all tied down to the individual driver/team, which is a shame, because they could put out some interesting stuff if they could have (for example) all of the drivers faces on one t-shirt.

#12 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,089 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:11

Team clothing generally just looks totally naff. It just isn't the same as wearing a European football shirt, as they are the same shirts the players wear. You obviously can't walk around in a race suit, but wearing a team shirt makes it look like you are at work.

Yeah, there’s something about F1 merchandise that particularly makes you look like a bit of a tit when wearing it walking around the shops etc. It’s a similar vibe with football shirts, but doesn’t seem to be as bad. Maybe it’s because wearing football shirts during daily life is more accepted?

Walking into Tesco with a bright red Ferrari t-shirt, huge Ferrari logo and sponsors on every part of your body looks very naff. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a couple myself, but only ever wear them to races (or sometimes when I’m excited for the first GP of the season I’ll wear one at home for the day  :lol: ).

#13 Calum

Calum

• 1,137 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 14:14

I like a lot of the team gear but find the price creep has hit a point where I'm not buying anything anymore. (Usually hats I'd pick up)

I really like the plain orange Mclaren team shirt, but £53 is just too much.

Same with the blue hoodie. £76 and I'm sure it's comfy but it's a lot to justify for something to lounge about in.

I'm still quite keen to see the Aston Martin range.

Edited by Calum, 20 February 2021 - 14:15.

#14 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,998 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 18:54

I actually bought my first F1 merch last year. The U-Mask from McLaren was cheaper than a U-Mask from U-Mask themselves. It also was fairly low-key. I bought one for me and one for a buddy. This also caused me to put a t-shirt with the order, as that caused me to get free shipping, which was cheaper than no t-shirt and pay for shipping.

It was also a t-shirt in the same style. Not one with sponsor-decals etc. on. So I use the t-shirt quite often :)

#15 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 15:59

Only F1 gear I have is a $7(CAN) made in China cap, with a pic of Alonso sitting in a lawn chair. Cheap and no doubt unlicensed, but I couldn't resist. It does keep the sun out of my eyes. :lol:

#16 loki

loki

• 12,293 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 16:10

We buy lots of Indycar merch (usually a couple hundred bucks a season) and so do others who are hardly gullible.  You guys are taking yourselves a bit too seriously.  It’s shirt.  That said this crop of F1 swag isn’t appealing to me.  I did get an assortment of Force India swag right after the bankruptcy for historical purposes.  I’ve been meaning to put it in a window box but haven’t gotten to it yet.

#17 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,089 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 19:15

I actually bought my first F1 merch last year. The U-Mask from McLaren was cheaper than a U-Mask from U-Mask themselves. It also was fairly low-key. I bought one for me and one for a buddy. This also caused me to put a t-shirt with the order, as that caused me to get free shipping, which was cheaper than no t-shirt and pay for shipping.

It was also a t-shirt in the same style. Not one with sponsor-decals etc. on. So I use the t-shirt quite often :)

You spent £60ish on two face masks that have a tiny McLaren logo?  :drunk:

This is the problem.

Edited by IrvTheSwerve, 21 February 2021 - 19:17.

#18 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,998 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 19:20

You spent £60ish on two face masks that have a tiny McLaren logo?  :drunk:

This is the problem.

No, I spent money on a face mask that, after some research, I wanted. The cheapest was from McLaren. It was more expensive buying from U-Mask themselves.

I didn't go for the McLaren one because it is McLaren... I went with it because it was the cheapest. The fact that it has a small McLaren logo and is F1 team merch was just a coincidence.

Edited by Myrvold, 21 February 2021 - 19:21.

#19 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,920 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 19:42

I remember a trip to Indonesia, and the markets were full of knock off Mclaren, Ferrari and Renault team wear. None of it cost more than £5. Some really good fakes too.

This was around 2005-2006

Advertisement

#20 masa90

masa90

• 2,035 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 19:43

I have bought some stuff. Few ferrari shirts, a Kimi hat and also a Merceds vb77 hat.

All in sale. I just can not justify spending so much on these.

#21 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 20:11

Would love to buy some

Cant justify a £40 T Shirt or a £90 hoodie

#22 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 21:02

No, I spent money on a face mask that, after some research, I wanted. The cheapest was from McLaren. It was more expensive buying from U-Mask themselves.
I didn't go for the McLaren one because it is McLaren... I went with it because it was the cheapest. The fact that it has a small McLaren logo and is F1 team merch was just a coincidence.

U-Mask masks have been banned in Italy.

"Secondo l’Autorità, infatti, queste verrebbero svolte con modalità ingannevoli e aggressive, sfruttando indebitamente la situazione di emergenza sanitaria in corso per indurre il consumatore a comprare a prezzi elevati il prodotto reclamizzato.
I claim con cui le società enfatizzerebbero l’efficacia, in termini di prevenzione, delle mascherine in questione appaiono in grado di ingannare i consumatori, inducendoli all’acquisto di un prodotto privo delle caratteristiche e della capacità filtrante pubblicizzata, con conseguente potenziale pericolo per la salute."
https://www.agcm.it/.../2021/2/PS11950

#23 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,998 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 21:56

U-Mask masks have been banned in Italy.

"Secondo l’Autorità, infatti, queste verrebbero svolte con modalità ingannevoli e aggressive, sfruttando indebitamente la situazione di emergenza sanitaria in corso per indurre il consumatore a comprare a prezzi elevati il prodotto reclamizzato.
I claim con cui le società enfatizzerebbero l’efficacia, in termini di prevenzione, delle mascherine in questione appaiono in grado di ingannare i consumatori, inducendoli all’acquisto di un prodotto privo delle caratteristiche e della capacità filtrante pubblicizzata, con conseguente potenziale pericolo per la salute."
https://www.agcm.it/.../2021/2/PS11950

Poop. Well, at least the research I did back in July 2020 when I bought it supported it. Moving on then.

#24 D1rtyHarry

D1rtyHarry

• 432 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 23:35

I once bought a McLaren Mercedes cap from a boot sale, the quality was so bad that I couldn't tell whether it was fake or real.