Photo

Chris Willes’s Nissan GTP Book

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gene

Gene

• 112 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 12:40

A few days ago a longtime racing friend sent me an email asking if I’d seen Chris Willes’s book “Developing a Champion: The Electramotive Nissan GTP Story”?

https://www.chriswil...gNQICAIc3QRkO6w

These days professionally I’m very removed from the business, so had no idea of the books publishing.

Anybody here read it and have an opinion?

Advertisement

#2 Gene

Gene

• 112 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 19:54

Anybody?

I seem to remember seeing a few other members who are interested in the 80s IMSA GT wars!

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,923 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 20:09

Not even seen it, but it looks like it fills a fairly sizeable gap.

#4 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 01:30

Anybody?

I seem to remember seeing a few other members who are interested in the 80s IMSA GT wars!

Not even seen it, but it looks like it fills a fairly sizeable gap.

Somewhere on the bookshelf still lurks the John Starkey book on the Nissan GTP cars -- basically, deservedly gathering dust. This has got to be better simply because for no other reason than that Starkey didn't write it...

I have actually gone ahead and ordered it since I haven't seen really much on the IMSA series lately that looked interesting. I am not much inclined towards nostalgia, but I truly enjoyed the IMSA series races when John & Peg Bishop ran the show.

HDC

#5 sabrejet

sabrejet

• 892 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:56

A few days ago a longtime racing friend sent me an email asking if I’d seen Chris Willes’s book “Developing a Champion: The Electramotive Nissan GTP Story”?

https://www.chriswil...gNQICAIc3QRkO6w

These days professionally I’m very removed from the business, so had no idea of the books publishing.

Anybody here read it and have an opinion?

Yes! I have it and am very impressed: it's well-written and full of recollections from Don Devendorf, John Knepp and the drivers too. It has a technical slant (obvious, given the author's technical role on the team), and that in itself is most welcome. Overall it's a great read, and has MANY photos which I'd never seen before, plus an equally detailed nuts & bolts aspect. And it also covers the early years of Electramotive in GTU/GTO etc in similarly readable, technical depth. 

So rest assured, it's not a Starkey book. For me it's one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a long time, and I'm trying to take it slowly just to make sure I take it all in!

My only gripe: the dust cover keeps falling off! So I've removed it for now and will refit it when the book goes into the book case. If it ever does.

#6 Gene

Gene

• 112 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 18:21

I'm glad to hear its a worthy book, Chris might have opened himself a whole new profession.