Who needs to have a Big Year in 2021?

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 15:58

In Grand Prix racing no one really gets to have a poor year, and a catastrophic dip in form is usually followed by dismissal. However I reckon it's essentially true that some years in a driver's career are more momentous than others, where the knife-edge between success and failure is sharper, where the situation is unavoidably make-or-break, or pick another cliché that's more to your taste. Think David Coulthard in 2003, in a winning car and the only McLaren driver with a Grand Prix win under his belt. Or think Damon Hill in 1996, with the walls closing in at Williams and F1's best rookie since Mario Andretti as a teammate.

For instance, I was reading some comments in the McLaren thread that made me think Daniel Ricciardo is at one of those 13th-hole-at-the-Augusta-National points of his career. If he puts Lando Norris in his pocket, he'll take the McLaren team with him and reap whatever benefits come Woking's way from the Mercedes tie-up, budget cap and general non-chaos that Zak Brown and Andreas Seidl seem to have brought to the team. Equally, Lando is younger, cheaper and already part of the furniture, so fail to shine and you are yesterday's man. So probably Danny Ric. 

Lance Stroll too, oddly. The pundits I listen to are coming round to the idea that he's "here on merit" (you can have that cliché for free), that his F3 championship meant something, that if he knew how to access his inspired driving at the Turkish Grand Prix, he could challenge some much bigger names. Beating Sebastian Vettel, who has some issues of his own, would solidify a claim to being one of the world's top dozen or so drivers, and with his connections and youth, who knows how far he could go... I think that would take an enormous effort, and more consistency and resilience than he displayed with a better car last year. But if he does it, it begins to be conceivable that he could fit in at a team not owned by his dad.

Conversely, I doubt an unexceptional year from Leclerc, Alonso or perhaps even Valtteri Bottas could do much harm to their reputations.

So who in 2021 is on the verge of a momentous year? Not just whose career is on the verge of failure -- although there is that -- but who's got the opportunity to leap up in everyone's estimation and set themselves up for wins, championships, you name it. We've still got a week till the San Marino Grand Prix so you know, time for one more nearly preseason thread. Non-F1 nominations, or for that matter teams and other human elements, are OK too.

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 16:12

Ricciardo was the first name that sprang to mind, but I guess Perez has a massive chance to establish himself as a proper, bonafide top class driver if he can demonstrate good performances alongside Verstappen.

#3 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,421 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 16:18

Sainz needs to have a big year and match Leclerc or become Ferrari's bonified #2 driver. Conversely, Leclerc needs to beat Sainz comfortably.

Edited by ARTGP, 08 April 2021 - 16:18.

#4 Red5ive

Red5ive

• 1,751 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 16:18

Ricciardo

Norris

Vettel

The rest are just under the normal level of F1 pressure

except Stroll who is pretty much the only driver on the grid who has very little pressure.  Oh and Raikkonen who is a) probably in his last year and b) doesnt care anyway.

Edited by Red5ive, 08 April 2021 - 16:19.

#5 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 16:21

Giovinazzi and Ocon for me are the two who NEED to perform, simply just to stay on the grid.

#6 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 16:22

MV - if he has the best car for the entire season but loses the WDC, that's gonna leave a scar. 

#7 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 16:47

Ocon - Last year was a real disappointment, but his 2017/2018 seasons shows he does have a lot of talent. Alpine are a team which have not had the same driver line up since Renault returned to the sport. If he gets dominated by Alonso then I can see him getting replaced.

Perez - Its no secret that Red Bull would prefer their own young drivers in that seat. Whilst I think he is safe for 2022, he needs a strong 2021 season to show he has a long term future with Red Bull.

Russell - He can escape Williams after this season, if he can pull off a few magic drives then I can see him at Mercedes next year. I don't think Bottas' form this season will have any influence as to whether he stays or leaves. It will purely be down to whether Mercedes thinks Russell is good enough for a promotion.

Gasly - Regardless of how well he performs, he must have a limited future at Red Bull. He needs to continue his strong form to avoid being dropped like Kyvat and instead pull off a Sainz.

Verstappen - If he truly has the car to fight this year and if he truly is that great then he needs to win this title. He may be young, but he has more experience in F1 than all of the current world champions before their first championship challenges/title wins. 

#8 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 16:56

Those who need to save their reputation or seat:

Bottas

Vettel

Giovinazzi

Ocon

Those who have a chance to prove their talent:

Russell

Norris

Stroll

Those who need to move on from proving talent to proving that they are going to become a future great or at least multiple winner:

Verstappen

Ricciardo

Leclerc

#9 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 17:09

There's a 2011 comedy film called "The Big Year" about competitive birdwatching. Average reviews, but I really like it. Good cast, too.

Big-Year.jpg

Anyway, I'm going to be deliberately contrarian and throw out some F2 names - Zhou, Ticktum, Armstrong. I know the whole point of F2 is that they all need amazing years, but these drivers, in particular, have a lot of promise that needs to be fulfilled.

Edited by TomNokoe, 08 April 2021 - 17:10.

#10 JustNotFastEnough

JustNotFastEnough

• 252 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 17:15

Nikita Mazepin: Has to show genuine talent, and speed, or forever be a pay driver.

Max Verstappen: If it transpires at the end of the year, Max has by common wisdom the fastest car over a full season(according to the pundits), and loses the WDC? Ouch! Reputation tarnished forever. Simply has to deliver.

Danny Ric: Losing to Lando is not an option.

Lando Norris: Losing to Ricciardo will  render him a good mid-tier driver in the eyes of pundits. Perfect #2.

Seb Vettel: Cannot afford to lose the points, or head to head battle against Stroll Jr, or career is over.

Pierre Gasly: Failure to beat Tsunoda equals the end of landing a future top drive, to then be living on borrowed time in the Alpha Tauri.

Esteban Ocon: Needs a very good solid year, or out of a seat.

Edited by JustNotFastEnough, 08 April 2021 - 17:15.

#11 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 17:40

Ricciardo was the first name that sprang to mind, but I guess Perez has a massive chance to establish himself as a proper, bonafide top class driver if he can demonstrate good performances alongside Verstappen.

I think this is especially true, considering the talent that Tsunoda has shown so far. Perez must establish himself as a strong team-mate for Max, otherwise I can see the Japanese driver in that seat next year, and Checo on the sidelines.

Edited by HeadFirst, 08 April 2021 - 17:43.

#12 frosty125

frosty125

• 1,120 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 17:43

Gio and Ocon.

#13 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,349 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 17:47

Alexander Rossi.  No excuses, he needs to contend.  All year.

Valentino Rossi.  A living deity, but at this point, looking like one no longer worshipped.  We need to see the old magic or it might as well be "hey old man, isn't it past your bedtime?"

Simon Pagenaud.  When you drive a Penske, if you're not contending, you need a bloody good reason.  I don't think he has one.

#14 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,606 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 17:55

Ricciardo: he built a reputation on beating vettel, having a smiley personality and dive bombing overtakes. I personally think he needs to prove his mustard now or I can't help but feel he's been a tad over rated.

Ocon: Hasn't impressed at all and it's going to be very difficult for him against alonso in that dog of a car.

Perez: only because red bull have gone against the grain to bring him in this year and if he doesn't impress its hard to see gem stay in f1 unless a team needs his Mexican money.

Giovinazzi: needs to perform well or risk losing his seat.

Bottas: has to prove he can still mix it with the leaders to keep that seat.

Vettel: I don't think vettel will care if he wants to walk away but I do think he cares about his performances.

Max: best car, super talented. He must win the wdc this year. Its as simple as that. Who knows what car he will have when he joins merc next year

Edited by w1Y, 08 April 2021 - 17:56.

#15 loki

loki

• 12,106 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 17:58

Humanity.

#16 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,236 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 18:08

Valentino Rossi.  A living deity, but at this point, looking like one no longer worshipped.  We need to see the old magic or it might as well be "hey old man, isn't it past your bedtime?"

He doesn’t need a big year.

His legacy and the fact he’s basically just doing it for a laugh these days means he’ll be able to keep going as long as he wants.

#17 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 18:09

Who doesn't?

- Stroll- because as long as he and his father want it, he will stay where he is regardless of results

- Latifi and Mazepin - because the expectations are low and it's more about if the teams need their money rather than if they perform

Then drivers who only need to do a little:

- Tsunoda - because Red Bull will probably part ways with Gasly and they likely won't find 2 young drivers worth dropping Tsunoda for, he will be fine with a worse year provided that he improves in 2022

- Schumacher - a rookie year and a backmarker team- with his name and marketing potential it won't matter much as long as Mazepin doesn't dominate him performance-wise

That's it, I guess. The rest has a lot to lose, provided that they don't want to retire after 2021 already, of course.

Edited by Anderis, 08 April 2021 - 18:10.

#18 FLB

FLB

• 29,568 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 18:21

Vettel, Binotto, Alexander Rossi, Sébastien Bourdais, Romain Grosjean, anybody but Scott Dixon, etc...

Edited by FLB, 08 April 2021 - 18:22.

#19 CrashPad

CrashPad

• 475 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 18:32

If Bottas does not challenge for the title right down to the last race, he is gone.

(yeah he is gone.)

Advertisement

#20 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,421 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 18:34

If Bottas does not challenge for the title right down to the last race, he is gone.

(yeah he is gone.)

They'll make a decision on drivers before the summer ends according to Toto. What he's doing at the last race unfortunately won't matter. He could very well win the title but get sacked.

Edited by ARTGP, 08 April 2021 - 18:34.

#21 masa90

masa90

• 2,031 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 18:36

I think the whole sport in itself needs a big year. The absolute domination that has been on this sport for ages along with lack of competivness has seemingly made even the people in charge of the whole thing bit desperate.

#22 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 18:37

They'll make a decision on drivers before the summer ends according to Toto. What he's doing at the last race unfortunately won't matter. He could very well win the title but get sacked.

They're not gonna tell him "you're out at the end of the season" if he's well and truly fighting for the title. Even less in case for some reason HAM has a bad year (which has to be the case if BOT is in a serious title hunt) and in the end VER might grab the title.

#23 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 18:42

Bottas needs to find some magic, at this rate he's hoping Alonso has a nightmare at Renault and buggers off or a seat becomes available at Haas.

#24 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 19:00

I see that some already concluded that if Verstappen wins the WDC, it’s the car and if he doesn’t, he has failed or choked under pressure. We’ve had one race, let’s wait how Red Bull and Mercedes fare. If Mercedes take the same step in the three weeks between Bahrein and Imola as they did between Bahrein testing and Bahrein GP, they will be ahead of Red Bull. Way too early to draw conclusions.

#25 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 19:01

Vettel. He's really got to show that he can return to some sort of form in both speed and consistency. He shouldn't make a meal out of besting Stroll.

Ocon. He's been around a while and proved quite handy but now he's got to show that he's got what it takes to take a step up.

Bottas. No doubt Russell is waiting in the wings. Bottas probably knows nothing more than we do about Hamilton's plans in the coming years but he must be aware that if Hamilton signs on for another year or two, Mercedes will be very tempted to bring George on board. Bottas would likely find a berth elsewhere but he does need a good, consistent year even if his future lies with another F1 team.

Perez. He's finally in what looks like a top car. He's got his second bite of this particular apple. He needs to show he deserves it. The caveat is that the RBR seems to behave like no other car on the grid and he will take time to adjust. 

I think everyone else is relatively safe. Ricciardo won't be sacked if he has a less than stellar year and finishes behind Lando. Equally nobody will be too surprised if Norris can't consistently beat Dan. Same with the Ferrari duo, we already know Leclerc is super fast off the back of three successful seasons, so if he has one off year it's not a huge concern. Equally Ferrari new boy Sainz won't be expected to match him week in week out. Stroll is safe and nobody expects him to beat Seb. If he does, Seb will probably get the blame rather than Lance the credit. If Seb comes out on top, it will be hailed as a return to form and as long as Lance does as well as he did against Checo, he'll be fine. I don't really see who's knocking at Alfa/Sauber's door. The Alpha Tauri pair look safe, Tsunoda will be given slack if he messes up a few races. The Haas pair are safe unless Mazepin brings the sport into disrepute (which is possible, he needs to keep his nose clean). Latifi isn't setting the world on fire but he's only got to do the competent job he did last year to continue. Have I missed anyone?

#26 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 19:02

I see that some already concluded that if Verstappen wins the WDC, it’s the car and if he doesn’t, he has failed or choked under pressure. We’ve had one race, let’s wait how Red Bull and Mercedes fare. If Mercedes take the same step in the three weeks between Bahrein and Imola as they did between Bahrein testing and Bahrein GP, they will be ahead of Red Bull. Way too early to draw conclusions.

I don't see Max being under threat. Even if it looks like he has the best car, this is his first real shot at the title....he's allowed to feel pressure at least once. Though the last season Max was incredibly impressive. 

#27 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 19:05

Oh Max will feel pressure, no doubt. It just amazes me that some people already have decided Red Bull will have the best car fhe whole season.

#28 FTB

FTB

• 659 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 19:06

Who doesn't?

- Stroll- because as long as he and his father want it, he will stay where he is regardless of results

- Latifi and Mazepin - because the expectations are low and it's more about if the teams need their money rather than if they perform

Then drivers who only need to do a little:

- Tsunoda - because Red Bull will probably part ways with Gasly and they likely won't find 2 young drivers worth dropping Tsunoda for, he will be fine with a worse year provided that he improves in 2022

- Schumacher - a rookie year and a backmarker team- with his name and marketing potential it won't matter much as long as Mazepin doesn't dominate him performance-wise

That's it, I guess. The rest has a lot to lose, provided that they don't want to retire after 2021 already, of course.

Alonso doesn't have much to lose. If he does great, then that's great for his legacy. If he struggles for speed, that can be chalked up to being too old and out of the sport for 2 years.

Edited by FTB, 08 April 2021 - 19:07.

#29 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 19:15

Alonso doesn't have much to lose. If he does great, then that's great for his legacy. If he struggles for speed, that can be chalked up to being too old and out of the sport for 2 years.

But if he does lose to Ocon for example, then the team might look to get him out at the first opportunity. If he wants to have some more years in F1 with a decent car and decent salary, he needs to do well.

#30 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 19:36

Oh Max will feel pressure, no doubt. It just amazes me that some people already have decided Red Bull will have the best car fhe whole season.

Must have been listening to the Red Bull fan(s).

#31 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 20:01

Seb does. And Red Bull, if they want to retain Max.

#32 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 20:14

Bottas, because I think he’s currently got a very limited chance of staying at Merc for 2022. Any more form like last year will seal his P45 before the European season is even underway, probably. There’s not much that can save him, short of beating Lewis regularly and running off into the distance in the Championship - and Bahrain suggests that ain’t happening any time soon. George Russell is waiting in the wings, but surely Merc still have the option of making an obscene bid for Max too. They’re going to want to get it done pretty soon surely. Lewis is only on a one-year deal and is approaching his late thirties, so there’s that too, which on the face of it might look like saving Bottas’ skin but could work the other way too.

Also badly needing to pick things up - Ocon, Giovinazzi, Vettel.

For me though the big one is Red Bull. They need to give Max a Championship winning car this year or he’ll rightly be off to Mercedes. And what’s their plan B? I don’t see one. They need him, he’s their USP and they don’t have another one waiting in the wings. Yet another season of finishing third to Hamilton and Bottas won’t cut it. A season of finishing second to Lewis won’t cut it. They have to win this year or there’ll be big bother there - with the works engine deal ending, and the prospect of Perez and Gasly in their cars.

Actually, Lance Stroll too. He has to start delivering consistently. I quite liked him in 2020, for those (occasional) flashes of brilliance like his pole in Turkey. But that’s what he’s always done, and yet again he was well beaten by his team-mate over the year, just like every year. Aston Martin are highly ambitious and nepotism only goes so far surely. Although I think Vettel is about to do him a right old favour here and make him look good this season.

Edited by messy, 08 April 2021 - 20:17.

#33 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,029 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 20:21

I think almost everybody on the grid, each of them for very different reasons...probably Lewis, Stroll and Latifi are the only ones that don't really need to do anything special

#34 Hrco42

Hrco42

• 383 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 20:34

Hamilton. If it turns out that RB really is slightly better than Mercedes and Verstappen wins the title, it will only strengthen the opinion that Hamiltons 7 titles and 100 wins are purely due to having the best cast by far

#35 LucaP

LucaP

• 1,478 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 21:08

F1

#36 FrontWing

FrontWing

• 6,864 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 22:04

Hamilton. If it turns out that RB really is slightly better than Mercedes and Verstappen wins the title, it will only strengthen the opinion that Hamiltons 7 titles and 100 wins are purely due to having the best cast by far

He had 33 wins in a McLaren and WDC, the cars he's driven weren't always the best. Go back watch more than just the last few years.

Edited by FrontWing, 08 April 2021 - 22:05.

#37 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 22:09

Show me a driver in the top ten of the all-time wins list who didn’t rack up the majority of those driving the best car?

Agreed, Hamilton has enjoyed that privilege for longer than pretty much anyone else but it doesn’t take away from it. If there’s one driver on the 2021 grid with nothing left to prove it’s Lewis IMO.

#38 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 22:37

Welcome to Formula 1. Where most "fans" look at the first 1 or 2 races, of any season past, and conclude the fastest car at that point was "miles ahead" for 12 months. I feel it might be a long year ahead for you Ivanhoe, given what this place can be like.

#39 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 22:46

Welcome to Formula 1. Where most "fans" look at the first 1 or 2 races, of any season past, and conclude the fastest car at that point was "miles ahead" for 12 months. I feel it might be a long year ahead for you Ivanhoe, given what this place can be like.

F1s hardcore element have terrible memories, and judgement.

Advertisement

#40 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,029 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 23:05

he should care less about this unless he suffers from a sever impostor's syndrome.

He broke a lot of records. Nothing left to prove, winning or losing will not strengthen any argument. 

#41 danmills

danmills

• 3,148 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 23:25

Perez doesn't have to prove anything. This forum was for months running credential checks and validation on him deserving a RB drive from his consistent performances. He got it. Has that just disappeared now? His Bahrain recovery was superb and took home what was expected even from the pitlane start.

Lando and Ricciardo both need big years but thinking about it both have excuses if either is beaten. Lando is growing, Ricciardo is in his prime. Lando is established in the team, Ricciardo is new. Both can excuse eachother however you want to paint it. Either side nobody is going to lose their seat or status this year at least. 2022 is another story.

Giovinazzi. Surprised he's even on the grid. What has he actually done that's notable other than a haircut and nice smile? Give that seat to a GP2 talent.

Ocon. Pantomine villain. Gasly will be eyeing up that seat for 2022 with no pressure to perform vs Tsunoda.

Vettel. I don't even know where to begin. Stroll is a lot better than he's portrayed, but Vettel on paper should be schooling him and he's looking like a fish out of water. A bad year and I see him walking. Maybe under the guise of a covid exit and Hulk (in green no less) makes a marketing wet dream infill.

Hamilton. Undisputed greatest no doubt, but I feel he really should (not needs) to end his career with a nail biting battle against Verstappen to crush any remaining doubt about that car. Other than Rosberg, he's had a soft path.

Edited by danmills, 08 April 2021 - 23:28.

#42 McLando

McLando

• 120 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 23:51

He broke a lot of records. Nothing left to prove, winning or losing will not strengthen any argument. 

If there’s one driver on the 2021 grid with nothing left to prove it’s Lewis IMO.

For someone with nothing left to prove he sure has a lot of people desperate to declare the Red Bull the faster car. Almost like some comfort blanket in case Max gets the better of him...and this is before he's even won a race this season.

As for Max, the same narrative is at the ready to trivialise the possible achievement of him beating Hamilton. So i'm not sure he will gain much recognition for doing so. 

#43 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,029 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 00:06

For someone with nothing left to prove he sure has a lot of people desperate to declare the Red Bull the faster car. Almost like some comfort blanket in case Max gets the better of him...and this is before he's even won a race this season.

As for Max, the same narrative is at the ready to trivialise the possible achievement of him beating Hamilton. So i'm not sure he will gain much recognition for doing so. 

Red Bull looks like the faster car at the moment. 

Are you disagreeing with that?

#44 McLando

McLando

• 120 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 00:11

Red Bull looks like the faster car at the moment. 
Are you disagreeing with that?

meh, probably not. I'm just not desperate for it to be the case, nor have I decided that Max winning is entirely dependent on it.

#45 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,511 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 00:19

Testing and qualifying show the RB16B is the faster car.  Ironically, it seems that the legions of Max fans are declaring the Mercedes as fast as the RB since Max didn't win the first race, which he was supposed to win.

#46 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,421 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 00:39

Testing and qualifying show the RB16B is the faster car. Ironically, it seems that the legions of Max fans are declaring the Mercedes as fast as the RB since Max didn't win the first race, which he was supposed to win.

We had 1 test and 1 race at 1 race track. Nobody knows who the fast car over the season will be. It’s not anybody’s “championship to lose”. They’ll both drive for it. Even in Bahrain, the RB is not anywhere as dominant as Mercedes was last season.

Claiming Red Bull have the fast car after 1 race is just being used to diminish whatever Max may achieve this season. Ironically, people do the same to Hamilton to a certain extent. I always think it’s not just what you drove, but how you drove it. After all, would Albon or Bottas be at the same level?

Edited by ARTGP, 09 April 2021 - 00:44.

#47 McLando

McLando

• 120 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 00:40

Testing and qualifying show the RB16B is the faster car. Ironically, it seems that the legions of Max fans are declaring the Mercedes as fast as the RB since Max didn't win the first race, which he was supposed to win.

yeah and it's already shown to be faster at Imola, right? His reason for winning or not winning already determined. Because anything else is inconceivable...or ruins the story I guess.

Edited by McLando, 09 April 2021 - 00:42.

#48 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 00:51

For someone with nothing left to prove he sure has a lot of people desperate to declare the Red Bull the faster car. Almost like some comfort blanket in case Max gets the better of him...

Not sure what you've been watching. Pre season I seen here quite a few Verstappen/Red Bull fans finally declaring they've got the fastest car and, imo, that was a fair enough assumption from the evidence of testing and Max then stomping the field in qualy. Then came the race... and the tune changed very quickly.

You can't predict what will happen through the season. Some cars maintain a hefty advantage from start to finish, other cars start super strong and then stagnate, and/or their rivals make big gains... and there is always data that spells out one scenario or the other. But that'll never stop some fans just running with their own narrative.

Either way - when Red Bull has a package to win - they've gotta make hay. Perhaps the cars are closer than originally thought but, fact is, they had the car to win in Bahrain. And didn't. Given their reliability may be sketchy, it makes maximising results super important.

#49 McLando

McLando

• 120 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:11

Not sure what you've been watching. Pre season I seen here quite a few Verstappen/Red Bull fans finally declaring they've got the fastest car and, imo, that was a fair enough assumption from the evidence of testing and Max then stomping the field in qualy. Then came the race... and the tune changed very quickly.
You can't predict what will happen through the season. Some cars maintain a hefty advantage from start to finish, other cars start super strong and then stagnate, and/or their rivals make big gains... and there is always data that spells out one scenario or the other. But that'll never stop some fans just running with their own narrative.
Either way - when Red Bull has a package to win - they've gotta make hay. Perhaps the cars are closer than originally thought but, fact is, they had the car to win in Bahrain. And didn't. Given their reliability may be sketchy, it makes maximising results super important.

again you've missed the point that I made relevant to the topic. Max will gain very little from winning this year as the narrative has been made clear. The pace advantage of the Redbull has been hyped up by people who don't even support the team, to make his wins meh by default and Hamiltons wins extra heroic, even though there was literally a couple of tenths difference in the first race. One driver gets praised every which way possible, the other, well the race was already won before lights out.

Edited by McLando, 09 April 2021 - 01:29.

#50 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:38

I remember a guy who used to drive for Redbull - folks say he is washed up now, but Im not so sure... Back in the day if his car was a few tenths faster and he was starting on pole, unless there was a mechanical issue, 9 out of 10 times he was bringing home that win. 

And there was a multi-page thread here debating if he was actually that good.

Those are just the expectations that we have here. Its not about MV...  Any other driver would be judged by the same criteria.