* * * * - 2 votes

2021 Emilia Romagna GP build up

• Please log in to reply
1623 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 20:31

After three tantalising weeks, it's time for a second helping of an F1 season that is promising so, so much. The "Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Del Made In Italy E Dell'emilia Romagna 2021", a title almost as long as the track limits debate after Bahrain.

Yes, F1 is back (again) in Imola! I don't know about you, but the big gap between race 1 and race 2 makes this feel like another season opener. Most teams are bringing upgrades, the circuit layout presents a new challenge, the weather and conditions are different, and we still have so many unanswered questions. I can smell the anticipation in the air, or is that the forecast rain?

It's Round 2 of the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship!

Imola.jpg

The Circuit
DRS detection has been moved to before Rivazza and the activation zone has been extended by roughly 100m.

Imola-Official.png

Hopefully we will see more overtaking :up:

Mercedes vs Red Bull

MaxLewis.jpg

Our two title protagonists and their respective teams will lock horns again. Both head to Imola searching for improvements. Mercedes is yet to solve their underlying stability issues, and there are question marks whether they are still top of the tree when it comes to engine performance. The quick direction changes and cool, dense Imola air will surely expose them on both fronts. Are there any upgrades in the pipeline? Bottas took a commanding pole last year but was unlucky in the race, he'll want to strike back at the earliest opportunity before Lewis is given the chance to streak clear.

Red Bull have their own niggling problems from Bahrain that they will want to put right. Adorned once again with the heavy tag of favourites, it's a different proposition being the hunter versus the hunted. The layout should suit their compliant car, and if they can work out their mechanical worries and reliability issues, they will surely fly around the track. Max will be looking to end a peculiar streak of bad luck at Italian circuits, having never stood on an F1 podium in this country. Perez, too, was denied a podium last year after a poor strategy call. He has a much better package now.

McLaren vs Ferrari vs Alpha Tauri
Alpha-Mc-Laren.jpg
The assumed leaders of the midfield pack are the orange, red and navy cars. McLaren is buoyant after an encouraging Bahrain performance that delivered on a strong pre-season. Norris hit the ground running, with Ricciardo not too far behind. Imola wasn't too kind to them last year, underlining the incredibly tight margins that define the upper midfield battle.

It's another home race for the Italian teams. Starting with Ferrari, who have made clear progress and no longer need to fear the power-sensitive tracks. It feels like there is still more to unlock from their package, despite a double points finish last time out. Particularly strong last season at tracks requiring good tyre warm-up (Portimao, Istanbul), they will be happy to see the forecasted temperatures. Leclerc will be aiming for another second-row start, with Sainz already nipping at his heels.

The dark horses are the dark blue cars. After a stuttering performance at last year's GP, and a stuttering start to this season, Alpha Tauri will be racing to make amends. Thrilling flashes of speed during the opening weekend were rewarded with only a couple of points. A team that knows modern-day Imola the best out of any on the grid. Gasly cruelly denied last year after a superb qualifying and will need to bounce back after a poor start. The exciting Tsunoda already has a ton of experience at this track, so intense was his testing programme, he'll be ready to go from lap 1.

Aston Martin vs Alpine vs Alfa Romeo

Alfa.jpg
Two disappointed teams, one optimistic. To use the phrase "lower midfield" would be wholly premature and an insult to just how incredibly close it is. However, Aston Martin and Alpine in particular will be looking to recover ground and really kick start their season after an unassuming opening.

A solitary point, a lot of whinging and a spinning Sebastian is the best way to summarise Aston Martin's long-awaited return to F1. Perhaps the most confusing
team on the grid at the moment, with far more questions than answers. The contrasting layout and conditions may allow them to attack Imola with a blank sheet of paper. A driver lineup that scored nil point at this circuit last season. Will it get worse before it gets better?

Shoots of promise from Alpine and Alonso after a modest Q3 appearance and strong first stint. Rossi, Budkowski and Brivio will form the Sandwich Bag Police this weekend, in order to reach the chequered without trouble. There are already rumours of upgrades to help vault them higher up the grid. Always a strong track for Alonso in the V10/V8 era.

More promise from Alfa Romeo after pulling clear of the back row squabbles and establishing themselves once again in the fight for points. A slow stop for Giovinazzi and an agonising chase for Kimi saw points evade them last race, but the new Ferrari engine and a much more driveable chassis should be a solid package this weekend.

Williams vs Haas

Haas-Williams.jpg
Contrasting fortunes for the pair battling at the back of the grid. Williams have also made solid progress, but find themselves in a bizarre no man's land. Memories of points lost behind the safety car last year will motivate the team this weekend. Haas will bring their first and only upgrade, for what should become their definitive 2021 challenger. There can be reasons for positivity as both Mazepin and Schumacher will continue to improve and find their feet. Beware, the walls are much closer here than in Bahrain.

--

Tyres and Weather

(TomNokoe's signature Fri-Sun weather .gif)

Spoiler

Fri - 13-14c, Sunny

Sat - 12-13c, Sunny for quali (probably)

Sun - 11-12c, Rain, RAIN?!

Pirelli.jpg

We could see a lot of GRAINING this weekend. Will this force the teams to a two-stop? I doubt it. Hopefully, the cooler temperatures and more durable 2021 tyres will improve the racing even more.

The Soft tyre was very poor last year, so qualifying on the Medium will be crucial for the Q3 runners. With a more competitive grid, how difficult could that be in cooler conditions? Overcut strategies possible on Sunday. Pit lane loss is very high (26-27s).

Tyre pressures

21.0psi front    |    19.0psi rear
(-2.0 vs 2020)     (-1.0 vs 2020)

--

Schedule
Timings have been tweaked as to not clash with the funeral of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

BST (UK)  |  CEST (Most of Europe)
FP1    1000         1100
FP2    1330         1430
FP3    1000         1100
Q      1300         1400
R      1400         1500

Far-flung forumers can find their own time-zone here.

--

Assorted predictions, musings, contrasting weather forecasts, presumptive track limits analysis, suggestions for other Italian tracks we should visit, and guesses as to when F1.com will update the official track map (wahooo finally :stoned: ) ... all welcome below :cat:

Edited by TomNokoe, 15 April 2021 - 15:51.

Advertisement

#2 Anja

Anja

• 10,284 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 20:36

Rain in F1? Don't be silly  :p

#3 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,082 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 20:41

Got me all excited! As a Max supporter I’m normally doing raindances for every GP the past 6 years. This is the first time I wish it wouldn’t. The RB seems te be awful on rain starts the past couple of years. Here’s hoping they’ve finally fixed that this winter because if not it could be a difficult race.

#4 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 20:44

DRS detection has been moved to before Rivazza and the activation zone has been extended.

Considering F1.com are yet to update their official track map, I've had to take matters into my own hands and do it myself, so here is an amateur forumer's representation of the new DRS detection and activation zones :kiss:

Imolafixed.png

Very nice! But why have they moved the detection point to be before Rivazza? Nobody's going to want to attempt an overtake there now!

#5 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,816 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 20:52

Maybe because of last season's race here the change of Drs Detection zone

#6 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 21:01

Very nice! But why have they moved the detection point to be before Rivazza? Nobody's going to want to attempt an overtake there now!

I can't remember any overtakes into Rivazza last year!

Maybe you can still pull it off with a well timed maneuver, crossing the detection line behind.

#7 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 21:09

How much longer is the DRS zone. Doesn't look that much longer to me, maybe it's just my map/layout reading skills  :lol:

#8 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 21:12

Really looking forward to this.

So far we've only seen the cars on one track, a track that's high on tyre deg and rear limited.

Now we get to see them on an iconic track. I think Red Bull will win if it's dry. If Verstappen qualifies first and holds the lead to T1, I can't see him being beaten on raw pace. It's a lot tougher to overtake at Imola and it's a one stopper.

But a wet race could open the door for a unusual podium. A wet race at Imola sounds very tasty!

I'm gonna predict Leclerc gets on the podium.

#9 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 21:20

Excited! Bring it on!

#10 HerbieMcQueen

HerbieMcQueen

• 1,574 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 21:33

Mamma mia. A wet race would certainly spice things up. I'd throw some petty cash at Senor Perez, in that eventuality.

#11 Celloman

Celloman

• 1,604 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 21:43

Riding those curbs in the wet could certainly get interesting. I can't remember witnessing a wet Imola race, last one must have been in the early 90's when I reckon they had a famous one.

#12 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 21:44

Pretty excited for this race. Thanks for the effort and another great OP Tom. Well appreciated  :up:

#13 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 22:12

Riding those curbs in the wet could certainly get interesting. I can't remember witnessing a wet Imola race, last one must have been in the early 90's when I reckon they had a famous one.

1981, 1991, 1993 and 1995 were all wet.

#14 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,084 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 22:19

I second Ivanhoe, Tom!  

Looking forward very much to Sunday, it's a doubleheader with IndyCar so it will be a race filled Sunday.  Best thing is that through no fault of my own, I have Monday off!

#15 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,418 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 22:20

I wouldn't mind a flash flood

#16 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 22:30

I wouldn't mind a flash flood

I think Lance might be with you on that.

#17 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 23:23

Now here's a fun fact, to quote myself:

Max will be looking to end a peculiar streak of bad luck at Italian circuits, having never stood on an F1 podium in this country.

Max's best ever finish in Italy (8 entries) is P5, Monza 2018.

Jos' best ever finish in Italy (13 entries) was P4, Monza 2000! There can't be many stats where Jos still has the edge on young Max. Not bad for a driver who scored a career total of 17 points :p

Edited by TomNokoe, 13 April 2021 - 23:34.

#18 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,692 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 00:10

Let's be honest, wet races are not what they used to be.

A) if its proper wet they just circulate behind safety car

B) moderately wet they either circulate behind safety car or struggle on terrible pirelli wets

C) if it sprinkles they use inters and the order is lock step with usual order as ita all about downforce.

#19 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:09

Expecting big things from Leclerc here. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the front row.

Advertisement

#20 SB

SB

• 2,430 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:46

San Marino GP 1991, even before the green light was on.

https://i0.wp.com/ww...Marino-1991.jpg

#21 WouterF1

WouterF1

• 889 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:07

Thanks for the effort and another great Race Post @TomNokoe!!. Well appreciated! .

These three weeks looked like the winterbreak. :(

#22 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:16

I need Imola every year.

#23 dierome87

dierome87

• 553 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:29

When was the last time Lewis did not win a wet race?

It's pretty clear to me that if it rains, he will most likely win.

#24 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,530 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:30

Germany 2019?

#25 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,844 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:32

Now here's a fun fact, to quote myself:

Max's best ever finish in Italy (8 entries) is P5, Monza 2018.

Jos' best ever finish in Italy (13 entries) was P4, Monza 2000! There can't be many stats where Jos still has the edge on young Max. Not bad for a driver who scored a career total of 17 points :p

Jos finished in the top-10 about 24 times, unfortunately for him when only the top-6 got points... which as a stat is still highly enviable for many F1-drivers.

#26 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:41

I think the chances will increase for him to win if it's a wet race, because he has shown to be the most consistent and mistake free driver in wet conditions the last decade. Especially in Turkey, you could see he was letting the race 'come to him', rather than trying to 'force it' like Verstappen seemed to do in Turkey. 

Not taking Turkey away, but if you are leading a wet race because you started from pole position, it's quite a different story than racing from behind. Much more spray, need to take more risks, overtakes required etc. All these elements increase the chance of mistakes. So if Lewis starts P4 because somehow he's been beaten by Bottas, Perez ánd Verstappen, it will be slightly different (although obviously in Turkey he also started from behind..). 

Very exciting weekend and hopefully it will give us a better feeling of how the cars stack up to eachother. 

#27 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,082 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:08

I think the chances will increase for him to win if it's a wet race, because he has shown to be the most consistent and mistake free driver in wet conditions the last decade. Especially in Turkey, you could see he was letting the race 'come to him', rather than trying to 'force it' like Verstappen seemed to do in Turkey.

Not taking Turkey away, but if you are leading a wet race because you started from pole position, it's quite a different story than racing from behind. Much more spray, need to take more risks, overtakes required etc. All these elements increase the chance of mistakes. So if Lewis starts P4 because somehow he's been beaten by Bottas, Perez ánd Verstappen, it will be slightly different (although obviously in Turkey he also started from behind..).

Very exciting weekend and hopefully it will give us a better feeling of how the cars stack up to eachother.

Well if Both RB’s bog down again with a wet start, Lewis will easily win this even if he starts behind them.

Edited by Cliff, 14 April 2021 - 08:15.

#28 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,804 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:10

1981, 1991, 1993 and 1995 were all wet.

I went to look for some info from the 1995 race as I didn't remember this one and I found this nice (?) stat:

Despite being teammates from 1993 to 1997, this was the only occasion Alesi and Berger shared a podium racing for the same team. 

https://en.wikipedia...rino_Grand_Prix

#29 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,952 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:30

Bellissima OP!

Looking forward to this weekend.

After so much running in Bahrain, between Test & Race, it's refreshing to go to a old school circuit. 

I expect Alpha Tauri to be super strong, maybe even a podium contender.

Gasly was 4th last year in quali, and this year's car looks even better.

They also had plenty of private testing with older cars in Imola this winter, and filiming days with the new car.
So i think the drivers will be quite confident on track from the get go.

#30 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:31

Well if Both RB’s bog down again with a wet start, Lewis will easily win this even if he starts behind them.

Albon's start in Turkey wasn't that bad, was it?

I vaguely remember RB still using a lower gear than the rest of the field with wet starts, perhaps there is some room on the operational side to improve the wet starts...

#31 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,582 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:32

I need Imola every year.

Absolutely!

Just watch the very ficture picture in this thread - says it all, really!

Just the Piratella - Aqua Mineralli sequence offers more than the entire Abu Dhabi circuit.

Edited by Hellenic tifosi, 14 April 2021 - 08:34.

#32 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,844 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:46

Absolutely!

Just the Piratella - Aqua Mineralli sequence offers more than the entire Abu Dhabi circuit.

True, but those are not even the hardest corners. I've been racing sim-games for about thirty years and Rivazza keeps messing me up. And since they changed the section after Rivazza the approach to Tamburello has gotten harder. There's a kink in front of the pits that keeps messing up my line!

#33 johnbarton

johnbarton

• 78 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:49

Looking forward to this weekend - especially if it’s wet! Last 3 weeks have felt like a lifetime, but at least we now have 4 races in a little over a calendar month to look forward to.

Hoping it’s wet - but not enough for them to end up starting behind the safety car  :well:

#34 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,022 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:49

Jos finished in the top-10 about 24 times, unfortunately for him when only the top-6 got points... which as a stat is still highly enviable for many F1-drivers.

Yeah, that's the problem with the new points system. Obviously scoring systems have changed a bit down the years (and I agreed with handing points to lower positions), but it does skew things. A driver who finished 7th 15 times throughout the 90's would look rubbish, yet a driver who finishes 7th 15 times now would look half decent. I guess you have to take into account the difference in reliability though.

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:03

No it will encourage overtaking into Rivazza, as the overtaker will then get DRS to pull away on the next straight.

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:10

I’m enjoying the old feeling of the start of the European season after a bit of a gap, at Imola.

#37 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:41

No it will encourage overtaking into Rivazza, as the overtaker will then get DRS to pull away on the next straight.

Umm, yes, I think I got it backwards! But then they might as well have placed the detection point before the right-hand kink...

#38 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:47

After three tantalising weeks, it's time for a second helping of an F1 season that is promising so, so much. The "Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Del Made In Italy E Dell'emilia Romagna 2021", a title almost as long as the track limits debate after Bahrain.

Funny! I'm going to insist on calling it the San Marino Grand Prix like a bore.

#39 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:54

I noticed that Alpha Tauri have become Alfa Tauri in the media kit.

Advertisement

#40 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,182 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:58

I noticed that Alpha Tauri have become Alfa Tauri in the media kit.

It was always going to be a great idea to have Alpha fighting Alfa on track.

#41 FLB

FLB

• 29,564 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:44

Absolutely!

True, but those are not even the hardest corners. I've been racing sim-games for about thirty years and Rivazza keeps messing me up. And since they changed the section after Rivazza the approach to Tamburello has gotten harder. There's a kink in front of the pits that keeps messing up my line!

Ahhh... Proper corner names! (said with a huge smile and goosebumps)

#42 MotorsportChat

MotorsportChat

• 81 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:45

I think this one is Verstappen's. Given the elevation changes, no particularly long straight to dominate the race, and a variety of corners I think the best all-round car that can perform well across a range of setups rather than be brilliant in just one area is what will work best - which seems to be the Red Bull.

Hope Checo can manage to beat Bottas too - give us a constructors fight as well as drivers! 

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:45

I’ve already done so a couple of times.

#44 FLB

FLB

• 29,564 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:46

And it's at (about) the right date to boot.

#45 yolo

yolo

• 3,659 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:54

I think this one is Verstappen's. Given the elevation changes, no particularly long straight to dominate the race, and a variety of corners I think the best all-round car that can perform well across a range of setups rather than be brilliant in just one area is what will work best - which seems to be the Red Bull.

Hope Checo can manage to beat Bottas too - give us a constructors fight as well as drivers! 

Per AMuS, this configuration of Imola is one of the most power-sensitive tracks on the calendar. This could play to Honda's advantage if Merc is having issues with de-rating.

Imola is one of the power tracks on the racing calendar. According to Mercedes, only two other racetracks show a higher percentage of full throttle this year. From the exit of the last corner to the first braking point before corner two, the engines run under full load for around 15 seconds. Anyone who has too little power here and drives with wings that are too big will be punished.

#46 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:56

I am too but only because I’m an ignorant peasant whose head can’t easily retain the proper title of (*checks title*)  ‘Emilia Romagna’ , possibly because I vaguely think it sounds more like an actress who probably starred in a show I don’t really watch, like Game Of Thrones.

#47 MotorsportChat

MotorsportChat

• 81 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:37

Per AMuS, this configuration of Imola is one of the most power-sensitive tracks on the calendar. This could play to Honda's advantage if Merc is having issues with de-rating.

That's interesting..thanks for flagging. 

#48 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:47

I am too but only because I’m an ignorant peasant whose head can’t easily retain the proper title of (*checks title*)  ‘Emilia Romagna’ , possibly because I vaguely think it sounds more like an actress who probably starred in a show I don’t really watch, like Game Of Thrones.

See, there was me thinking it was some local, hard cheese.....

#49 ANF

ANF

• 29,235 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:50

If you want to study the changes made to Imola, here is the circuit seen from above:

1988 https://i.ibb.co/vskx8Rp/imola1988.jpg (2.3 MB)
2000 https://i.ibb.co/YNmmRQp/imola2000.jpg (5.6 MB)
2012 https://i.ibb.co/7KgJ2BY/imola2012.jpg (2.6 MB)

One of the least documented changes is the reprofiling of the section between Piratella and Acque Minerali, including the left-hand curve, which increased the run-off area on drivers' right. I believe that change was made for 1996. Also note the post-1994 changes to Rivazza and (sometimes overlooked on circuit maps) the changes to Variante Alta made for 2006.

Edited by ANF, 14 April 2021 - 14:09.

#50 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,568 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 13:15

DRS finally confirmed.

Albert Fabrega putting my graphic design dreams to bed.

DRS.jpg

Detection zone is basically in the braking zone for Rivazza, which is unique.

Extension looks about 100m? Impossible to tell from the stats, last year it was "on finish line", this year it is "60m before turn 19".