Autosport/Motoring News controversial statement from 1979

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 14:15

Hello all,

Thanks as ever for kind help. During 1979, there were attempts to get a race organised to raise funds for the Gunnar Nilsson Cancer Treatment Campaign. Happily it was the Memorial Trophy at Donington. However, there were difficulties.

In fact, Bernie Ecclestone was accused in a press statement of going back on his word to help organise the race. I spoke to David Mason about that and he was chairman of the campaign.  Fortunately it was resolved. Which Autosport issue or Motoring News issue would carry that statement? I hope to visit Silverstone soon to find those issues.

I'm open to DMs and I am happy to explain privately what this controversial statement was about.

Edited by sstiel, 16 April 2021 - 08:03.

Advertisement

#2 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,051 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:57

Simon, I can't help with the question - but are you saying that Silverstone now have collections of Autosport and Motoring News? Anything known as to completeness?

(Gaydon have a collection of Autocar and Motor - a combined trip would be possible when these venues are open.)

High time this lot was digitised. Motor Sport did this ages ago. More power to their elbow!

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 22 April 2021 - 05:01.

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 17:03

The programme was announced in Autosport and MN, both dated April 5th.  Autosport quoted Peter Gaydon, Donington’s Managing Director saying that several FOCA members had originally expressed willingness to compete in an F1 race but that FOCA as a group felt unable to do so. MN said that Silverstone and Brands Hatch had told them they they had an agreement with FOCA for one non-championship race each year in this country. MN continued: “everybody involved should come out, unambiguously, and explain how this state of affairs has arisen”

#4 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 17:48

Simon, I can't help with the question - but are you saying that Silverstone now have collections of Autosport and Motoring News? Anything known as to completeness?

(Gaydon have a collection of Autocar and Motor - a combined trip would be possible when these venues are open.)

High time this lot was digitised. Motor Sport did this ages ago. More power to their elbow!

RGDS RLT

No problem. They have every issue of Autosport since the first issue in 1950 and I'm enquiring further about Motoring News.

Edited by sstiel, 24 April 2021 - 17:51.

#5 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 17:50

The programme was announced in Autosport and MN, both dated April 5th.  Autosport quoted Peter Gaydon, Donington’s Managing Director saying that several FOCA members had originally expressed willingness to compete in an F1 race but that FOCA as a group felt unable to do so. MN said that Silverstone and Brands Hatch had told them they they had an agreement with FOCA for one non-championship race each year in this country. MN continued: “everybody involved should come out, unambiguously, and explain how this state of affairs has arisen”

Thank you for that. There was a press release that really upset Bernie Ecclestone and he threatened to sue. The campaign chairman David Mason drafted it.

Edited by sstiel, 24 April 2021 - 18:50.

#6 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 14:36

Motoring News, 14 December 1978 printed the full text of a press statement by David Mason.  Autosport printed extracts the same week.   It was in response to John Webb saying that the Race of Champions would be the only 1979 non-championship Formula 1 race in Britain. An Autosport editorial described it a "sharp and possibly hasty reaction".  The editorial concluded "Motor Racing is in disgrace this week".  The following week there was a paragraph saying that the difficulties had been resolved and a Nillson trophy race would be held at Donington.  

#7 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 16:40

There was a big argument between Donington and MCD around this time, the reason given being a proposed F Atlantic series for 1979. I'm sure there were other issues, maybe a simple clash of personalities between Tom W and John Webb

#8 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 17:29

I'll be able to go to Silverstone tomorrow but if anyone has Motoring News that covers the campaign, please let me know. It's to be accurate.

#9 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 13:03

I want to be accurate as Mr Ecclestone threatened to sue at the time and I want to produce it again accurately.