Photo

The other Derek Daly?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 15:57

I have repeatedly noticed the name Derek Daly in late nineties Irish single seater racing, mostly if not exclusively Formula Europa (née Opel), and I'm wondering: who was that? Can't have been the ex-F1 driiver, can it? I thought he'd stayed in the US after his racing days, and isn't his son still racing there? Also still racing in most of those nineties events was Vivion Daly, who I understand was the brother of F1 Derek - maybe he had a son, named after his famous uncle? Can someone explain? :confused:

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 16:44

My (possibly unreliable) memory is that the other Derek Daly was usually referred to in contemporary reports as Derek M Daly to distinguish him from his better-known namesake. I also believe that the two Dereks were unrelated.

#3 La Sarthe

La Sarthe

• 128 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 17:18

I have the same recollection - Derek M Daly. I seem to remember he spent quite a while in Formula Ford as well.

#4 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 17:39

The Derek Dalys son is Conor who's career seems to be struggling for traction after two full seasons in Indy Car, 2016 with Dale Coyne and 2017 with AJ Foyt.

#5 Roryswood

Roryswood

• 86 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 21:29

Derek M Daly no relation to the F1 driver , raced in FF1600 for many years , after FF1600 class faltered in Ireland he continued to race at the Brand's Hatch Festival , Vivian F1 Derek's late brothers daughter Nicci is on the Irish National women's hockey team , and she has dipped her toe in the water having driven in a few saloon car races .

#6 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,057 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:51

Derek M Daley is one of my all-time heroes. OK, I have about a thousand of them - the feisty racers who keep going year after year, fighting tooth and nail in whatever they're racing, just for the sheer love of it. I didn't make last year's FF Festival, for the first time since the Neolithic era, but I think he was there the year before that. If my dodgy memory is correct, he has relegated himself to the historic FF class at least part of the time. I'm hoping to be at this year's festival and, if he isn't part of the Irish invasion, then I might just shed a tear.

#7 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:15

Thanks for the info, gentlemen! :up: