Photo
- - - - -

Fastest lap regulatios for driver promoted to P10 after the race

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Should fastest lap point be rewared to a driver promoted to P10 after the race (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Give FL point to driver up to at least P10 after the race?

1. Yes (15 votes [88.24%])

Percentage of vote: 88.24%

2. No (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 23:52

What if Alonso yesterday finishing in P11 had set the fastest lap of the race? That would not have given him the extra point for fastest lap.

After Kimi got his penalty, Alonso was promoted to P10.

Should Alsono then be awarded the point for fastest lap?

AFAIK the rules aren't clear on this issue, but maybe I am wrong.

However, it seems good to me to have discussed this topic, before such a situation happens on track, in the hope the FIA takes note.

My opinion is that the fastest lap should be awarded to the driver promoted to P10 or higher, as he set that lap on merit, and the driver(s) relegated did something wrong (at least in the opinion of the race stewards). Had the stewards yesterday looked into the circumstances of Kimi's penalty during the race and declared their decision, Alonso would have been awarded the point for fastest lap without a doubt. (Of course if he had set fastest lap)

Advertisement

#2 Garndell

Garndell

• 1,287 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 00:06

Surely it should be final classification not position at the end of the race itself.

#3 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,589 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:13

The regulations say it’s the fastest driver provided they are in the top 10 in the final race classification, and no point is awarded if the fastest lap belongs to a driver outside the top 10.

So in your scenario:

1. At race finish it would appear like no one was going to get the FL point (Alonso had the FL but was outside the top 10). It never would have sat with Hamilton - it’s not fastest driver in the top 10, it’s fastest driver provided they’re in the top 10.

2. Once Alonso was promoted in to the top 10 in the final race classification, he would be awarded the FL point.

See regulation 6.4: https://www.fia.com/..._2021-03-19.pdf

#4 pdac

pdac

• 17,269 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:01

Yes, the position the cars finish in means nothing. It's only after they have decided the final classification that the meaning is clear. The only exception to this (that I am aware of) is the podium ceremony where (presumably for timing reasons) they take the top 3 finishers.