Photo

Silverstone VSCC in 1976

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 16:03

The overworked scaner has been churning out some images from 1976, some less blurry than others. These are from the July Silverstone meeting, in the days when the VSCC had two meetings there each year.

Starting with the 'tiddlers', this one seems to have Austin 7 origins but looks a little special. 

Austin-special.jpg

And I think this is Salome, but with rather more front bodywork than we're used to seeing these days. 

Salome.jpg

Most of the pics come from the (?) All-Comers Scratch Race, which has all the usual suspects including the Hon Patrick Lindsay approahing Becketts in R5B ...

Remus.jpg

And these two Maseratis having a duel - I don't think Mr Snapper would be allowed to stand there today.

Masers.jpg

We (well, OK, I)  tend to forget that apart from the catch fencing, Silverstone then looked just as rural as Goodwood does now on Revival days, complete with harvesting.in full swing.

250F.jpg

250F-2.jpg

But of course, the racing was much less fierce in those days ...

gaggle-1.jpg

gaggle-2.jpg

Spin.jpg

Enjoy!

Advertisement

#2 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 17:43

Great pictures - thanks for posting.

I believe the yellow car to be the Attenborough Special. Frazer Nash based with Aston Martin engine.

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 18:04

Ah them were the days!

I was there but about the only thing I remember is that Bill Morris drove the ex-Bira ERA R2B "Romulus" (C/N 9) which had not been raced since Bira drove it. Jenks disapproved.

I've looked up the VSCC Bulletin report and it's not a lot of help. Driving the 250Fs were Neil Corner, Patrick Lindsay and Cameron Millar

#4 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 18:32

Adam Ferington - super sleuth of this Parish - has pointed out to me that the ERA numbers in the pics don't tally with the runners and riders in his programme for the July 1976 meeting. My (feeble) excuse is that the same magazine also contains slides from the April VSCC meeting Iwhich these might instead be from) and a few from the same month's Aston Martin Silverstone meeting - whihc could explain the presence of the Attenboroough Special (thanks, Steve L). The perils of using the same slide film and mounts across several events (if only my exposure metering had been so consistent!).

Apologies for leading everyone up the garden path - I was confused by the hint of sunsine, which tends not to put in an appearance at Silverstone in April. The pics with harvesting in the background are probably still July, though!

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 21:52

The April Silverstone was held on May 1st that year!

When I looked in the Bulletin I thought it was that one and only changed when I looked back at what you'd written. Bill Morris drove Romulus at both meetings.

#6 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 08:45

Thanks, Allan. Detective Adam Ferrington has now pinned Pics 4-8 to the following programme entries at the July meeting (which tallies with the state of the harvest):

5 - 1 Neil Corner 250F
6 - 6 Cameron Millar 250F
7 - 9 Bill Morris ERA R2B, 3 Hon Patrick Lindsay 250F, Frank Lockhart Rover
8 - 9 Bill Morris ERA R2B, 5 Hon. Patrick Lindsay ERA R5B, 10 Patrick Marsh ERA R1B

The last pics is [probably from the April sorry May meeting, as it comes in the slide magazine immediately after the two duelling Maseratis (and the snapper), which tallies with the lighting and non-harvest. Unfortunately R14B (which it seems to be) shouldn't be there wearing that number ...

#7 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 09:31

In Photo 7 I think that the Rover is Alan Cottam's Connaught AL10

#8 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 10:14

Certainly looks more Connaught-like than Rover-ish. According to the programme, their numbers were 4 and 7 respectively - but that doesn't help much ...

#9 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 12:36

A happy reminder of better days when we were allowed to attend meetings.

#10 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:10

Indeed Eric - having seen a local caravan rally and village cricket, as well as walked where I wanted , shopped in Tesco but resisted the temptation of the beer garden I am extremely tight lipped that I cannot go to Harewood , Croft , Cadwell or anywhere else . It is utterly absurd.