After a delay caused by the pandemic, the next generation NASCAR Cup will appear in 2022.
The details for the new cars have been released by NASCAR.
The big changes include:
- a new tubular steel chassis, built by a single supplier, with a main central section and removeable front and rear sections.
- new 5 speed sequential transaxle
- independent rear suspension
- multi-adjustable dampers
- bodies to be made of carbon fibre panels
- bodies to be symmetrical bout centreline - current cars are not
- flat floor with diffuser
- 18" aluminium alloy rims (single supply) with centre locking nut
- bigger brakes
- wider tyres - 365mm at rear
The engines will remain the same, but with exhausts out both sides, which may change the sound of the cars.
This seems like a huge change for NASCAR, perhaps the biggest in its history.