Photo
- - - - -

FIA Team radio - new from Barcelona 2021

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: FIA Team radio (45 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of this new feature of hearing FIA team radio?

1. I like it, I guess (36 votes [80.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. It sucks (2 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

3. I don't care (5 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. My reaction is not represented here (2 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:17

In addition to team radio, we now have the radio of TPs speaking to the FIA. I don't think we heard anything earthshattering in itself  - just Toto complaining that Mazepin's sluggish reaction to blue flags was potentially costing his driver position but still! Team boss radio!

Context:

Masi admitted he “very rarely” hears from Wolff on the race control radio and explained that the reason it was broadcast is the result of an idea F1 and the FIA have been working on for some time.
“It actually came about through a discussion at an F1 Commission meeting last year, so they [viewers] could hear as part of the broadcast the communications between the pitwall and the teams, which is a regular part of what we do operationally,” said Masi.

“Yesterday was the first time that it started [being available to broadcast live].

“So the F1 Group, through their broadcasts, has been doing some trials in the background, have seen what that looks like.
“And all the teams were advised and this weekend’s the first time it’s gone live to air.”

https://the-race.com...adio-broadcast/

What do you think of it?

Advertisement

#2 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:26

Until we will hear someone shouting at Masi "read the f** rule book", not much   ;)

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,763 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:28

READ THE STANDING ORDERS!  READ THEM AND UNDERSTAND THEM!

#4 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:28

More Toto ? Yes please.

#5 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:32

I'm rather intrigued by the idea.

My only worry is that taking select messages rather than giving viewers the option of listening to all of the team-to-FIA radio might end up giving a rather misleading impression. If there are routine messages regularly throughout the race but we only hear the most interesting/newsworthy/controversial messages then it might make certain team bosses look like they're manipulating things in a way that's not really true...

#6 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 11,729 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:33

READ THE STANDING ORDERS! READ THEM AND UNDERSTAND THEM!

Lol. Toto Wheeler getting told on TV would be gold. 🤣

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:35

My only worry is that taking select messages rather than giving viewers the option of listening to all of the team-to-FIA radio might end up giving a rather misleading impression. If there are routine messages regularly throughout the race but we only hear the most interesting/newsworthy/controversial messages then it might make certain team bosses look like they're manipulating things in a way that's not really true...

Been happening since they first broadcast them. Including people putting on a performance for the live portion.

It will illuminate very little(and imo these sorts of things should remain private/protected) but make nice headlines and news cycles. 

#8 Garndell

Garndell

• 1,287 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:36

My reaction is not represented.  I like it, there is no "I guess" in my viewpoint.  I'd like it to be a whole channel on F1TV just so it's another feature Sky blocks us UK viewers from getting... :rotfl:

#9 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,391 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:37

I like it. Rugby has only been improved for the spectator by having the referee miked up, and being able to hear the advice and explanations given to players.

I hope they're brave enough to broadcast two way conversations over things like track limits, giving an overtake back etc, so we can hear teams making their case and the race director explaining why a decision has been taken.

#10 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:37

Yeah, that seems a reasonable concern, especially since Masi notes that he rarely hears from Toto during a race yet yesterday that's the only person whose radio was broadcast. Still, I'm still intrigued by the idea and look forward to future races.

#11 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:40

I want to hear what Masi says to the teams, just like in Formula E or WEC when you hear the race director. If it could be live as well that'd be brilliant.

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:41

I like it. Rugby has only been improved for the spectator by having the referee miked up, and being able to hear the advice and explanations given to players.

Do you hear all of it or just important calls/plays or only when it's 'spicy'? 

#13 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,391 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:49

Do you hear all of it or just important calls/plays or only when it's 'spicy'? 

You get the lot - in play shouts to players to help keep them the right side of the rules, chats with captains, discussion with the video ref.

#14 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:53

If it's open and there's context it would probably be enlightening. If it's carefully deployed for 'drama' it's going to just create BS controversies and eventually teams will start doing it for the effect.

#15 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:53

(Shout out to the OGs who remember Jean Todt running up and down the pitlane during the Ferrari years)

#16 pRy

pRy

• 26,228 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 14:58

"Let Michael pass for the championship".

#17 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 15:07

I'd like it if all the communication was available, either as separate live streams or after race downloads. As it is right now it often feels as if FiA want to punish the teams with select messages. I know that "all" communication would be lot, but  the snippets we get can easily distribute a very distorted and possibly even false image of actual events.

#18 pitlanepalpatine

pitlanepalpatine

• 2,446 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 15:19

You remember when Vettel told Ferrari to tell Charlie to **** off? I'd love to have heard all that team radio.

#19 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 15:28

I hope they're brave enough to broadcast two way conversations over things like track limits, giving an overtake back etc, so we can hear teams making their case and the race director explaining why a decision has been taken.

It works in rugby because the game is stopped and we get to know why.  Hearing this edited radio during a race is pointless, we've heard plenty of "I spoken to Charlie" in the past, although that message has changed to "I've spoken to The Charlie".

Advertisement

#20 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 15:28

Could be pretty tasty.

#21 loki

loki

• 12,106 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 15:42

What is done away from the track, meetings of the Strategy Group, rules vote changes, etc supports the TPs being manipulative in the daily course of business.  It’s their job to fight for every last mm they can get for the team.  It’s the Piranha Club mentality. Though I’d agree the entire conversation should be broadcast as I’m what we’d call an “inside baseball” sort of fan.

More Toto ? Yes please.

#22 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 17:12

(Shout out to the OGs who remember Jean Todt running up and down the pitlane during the Ferrari years)

Maybe we should change the whole road dock set up. If a team wants to speak to Masi, the team principal has to run to a bar in front of race control and shout to gain his attention.

For extra spiciness, after a crash only the team principal that gets there first can be heard.

#23 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,033 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 17:49

I want to hear what Masi says to the teams, just like in Formula E or WEC when you hear the race director. If it could be live as well that'd be brilliant.

Love that in WEC. ‘Track is green, track is green.’ Just makes me feel happy 😂

#24 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 17:54

Vaguely imagining all the TPS micced up all race and we get to hear Toto absentmindedly eating a packet of crisps on the red button or whatever.

#25 ANF

ANF

• 29,236 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 18:41

Yes please!

#26 ExEd

ExEd

• 2,190 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 18:44

I think is a great idea.

More transparency can only mean good, will also help silence the conspiracy theorists to an extend. 

#27 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 18:53

If it's open and there's context it would probably be enlightening. If it's carefully deployed for 'drama' it's going to just create BS controversies and eventually teams will start doing it for the effect.

That's my worry.  In general, I don't like it.

#28 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 18:55

I don't think it's a good idea, simply because sooner or later we'll hear more from Horner, when we already hear too much from him already.  

#29 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,031 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 19:13

Ocon said he was genuinely scared of Mazepin when he was close to him on track.

"I am 200% more careful than with other drivers"

#30 Barty

Barty

• 2,092 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 19:17

On F1TV you have the driver cam views for all drivers, with pit-car radio, so it shouldn't be a problem putting a FIA radio soundtrack over the PLC or the main feed.

#31 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,802 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 20:02

I'd rather the 'drama' came from the racing itself not BS gimmick radio edits

#32 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 20:10

I don't care. This year so far, the racing has been enough for me.

#33 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 20:16

Vaguely imagining all the TPS micced up all race and we get to hear Toto absentmindedly eating a packet of crisps on the red button or whatever.

Hopefully we'll be able to hear him smash a few tables as well this season.

#34 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 20:21

All we will hear is one or another complain to Masi about something they don't like

#35 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,391 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 20:28

I'd rather the 'drama' came from the racing itself not BS gimmick radio edits

Team to driver radio seemed like a gimmick at first, but if you took it off the broadcast now people would be gutted. Not because the racing doesn’t provide enough interest, but because the radio provides context to, and informs understanding of, the racing.

I think the same could well be true of FIA radio, provided they handle it right as others have covered well.

#36 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,802 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 20:48

Team to driver radio seemed like a gimmick at first, but if you took it off the broadcast now people would be gutted. Not because the racing doesn’t provide enough interest, but because the radio provides context to, and informs understanding of, the racing.

I think the same could well be true of FIA radio, provided they handle it right as others have covered well.

I'd agree with you if 80% of what we hear would be some more or less useful message about the race strategy or some valuable insight. Instead we get the way overdone 'Kimi said some sarcastic one-liner lmao so funny epic meme' stuff, Sainz singing smooth operator for the thousandth time (so original), the mandatory 'Bono my tires are gone' 2 laps before churning out fastest laps by Hamilton, the pure uncut BS of lame psychological "tricks" (Ocon moved under braking), Tsunoda swearing, etc etc.

At least the OGs (leave me alone, here's my message to Charlie, GP2 engine) were funny in their time and context.