Photo

Talking Pictures TV - Look at Life

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 18:28

Next Tuesday 18th May at 9.15 a.m. there is a 15 minute film from 1960 called ‘Look at Life: Kings of Speed’ which features the 1959 British GP and the Cooper racing school at Brands Hatch' in colour.

Apparently part of a series of about 500 made by Rank between 1959 and 1969, the ones being shown are about transportation, including episodes about lorry drivers, building new cars, replenishing an ocean liner, refuse collection, scooter riding, and the Hyde Park Corner underpass.

Paul M

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 19:09

Next Tuesday 18th May at 9.15 a.m. there is a 15 minute film from 1960 called ‘Look at Life: Kings of Speed’ which features the 1959 British GP and the Cooper racing school at Brands Hatch' in colour.

Apparently part of a series of about 500 made by Rank between 1959 and 1969, the ones being shown are about transportation, including episodes about lorry drivers, building new cars, replenishing an ocean liner, refuse collection, scooter riding, and the Hyde Park Corner underpass.

Paul M

It was shown earlier this week. I was going to post about it, but then discovered that one - and the others - have all been on YouTube for over two years!

https://forums.autos...55#entry9448448

#3 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 19:58

The 'Look at Life' about lorry drivers shown a couple of days ago was quite interesting - it made the point that it was down to the drivers' discretion whether they wanted to 'risk' using the newly opened M1 as part of their itinerary. London to Birmingham and back in a day was felt to be about as much as anybody could be expected to tackle, though the plumes of tobacco smoke in the cab probably mde it impossible to nod off. A bit of a puzzle how the railways felt themselves unable to fight back, even though Beeching had a pocketful of dice weighted in favour of the road lobby.

#4 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:21

I would imagine these were originally shown in cinemas before the main feature? Probably more interesting now as a slice of 50s/60s life than they were at the time!

I own a super 8 film print of "Kings Of Speed" as several were released in this way in the 1970s. I wonder if there might be a small market in putting a selection out on DVD? Perhaps themed, as there must be several based on vehicles/transport. I know I've seen editions on sailing boats, punch tape computers and so on. All generally fascinating to someone born after the time.

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:28

I would imagine these were originally shown in cinemas before the main feature? Probably more interesting now as a slice of 50s/60s life than they were at the time!

I own a super 8 film print of "Kings Of Speed" as several were released in this way in the 1970s. I wonder if there might be a small market in putting a selection out on DVD? Perhaps themed, as there must be several based on vehicles/transport. I know I've seen editions on sailing boats, punch tape computers and so on. All generally fascinating to someone born after the time.

https://en.wikipedia...e_(film_series)

There are currently seven DVD compilations available, with an eighth about to be issued. Transport was actually the first one released.

https://networkonair...ume-1-transport

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:40

Remember watching some of these from Rank and others from Pathe in the late 50's early 60's at the cinema in Zambia in the early to mid 70's ;-) 

#7 Roryswood

Roryswood

• 86 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 07:53

They were shown in Dublin also