Stardust International Raceway

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,602 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 13:31

The Mob and Stardust

Short lived life span the likes of Meadowdale which is down the road from where we live.

Anyone have any experiences to share about Stardust?

Edited by aportinga, 13 May 2021 - 13:39.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 14:09

This rather old thread tells how the circuit rapidly disappeared under housing development:

Stardust International Raceway

#3 DCapps

DCapps

• 878 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 18:19

Speaking of the book...(https://speedreaders...tional-raceway/)

I did take Buford to the site of the track during a visit to Las Vegas. It was not very far at all from where he lived, in fact, Buford passing it quite often and not realizing it.

When the track opened, it literally was out in the boonies. Even in 1966, it would be kind to suggest that it was somewhat difficult to find. It was not at all where I expected it to be.

However, the amenities were far better than expected, although that was something of a low bar to be honest.

HDC

#4 Gary Jarlson

Gary Jarlson

• 55 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 22:43

9.22.1965%20grand%20opening%20copy.jpeg9-22-1965-grand-opening-copy.jpg

Saying Stardust Raceway was "out in the boonies" is an understatement. It wasn't in the middle of nowhere, but you could see it from there. There was the asphalt for the track and nothing else but rock-filled desert.

The photo is from opening day. Besides the city fathers on the left, you have  Shelby, Leo Margolin (track manager) and Parnelli doing the ribbon cutting and various Desert Inn/Stardust owners like Moe Dalitz and Allard Roen in the crowd. The fellow at right, in the hat, is Otto Zipper, a major mover in West Coast racing circles. Also seen are the GT40, Daytona coupe and Shelby GT350 that were used for track rides. Among those not in this picture is Pedro Rodriguez who, to Zipper's dismay, discovered a flaw in the track's design: there was a small dip on the back straight. Problem was the exit was higher and the entrance and Pedro hit it at speed, seriously crumpling the nose of Zipper's Ferrari roadster.

The guy in the dark shirt and shades, standing beside the Shelby truck is yours truly. I covered motorsports from one of the local papers.

At the first major event, the Stardust Grand Prix in November 1965, little had been done in way of improvements. The "press box" was a three-story open scaffolding that provided absolutely no protection from the late-fall elements. Leon Mandel, then of Competition Press, climbed down halfway through the race, mumbling about having no feeling in his hands and feet. When a credential office was eventually opened, it was a wooden shack repurposed from track construction.

#5 RonPohl

RonPohl

• 193 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 23:04

I Went to the  Can-Am there while in high school.  After it got dark ,me and my high school buddy Phil Palm were able to wander freely through the pits.  I recall seeing Jim Hall do his big endo. The atmosphere seemed more like a club event than a big CanAm race. In fact there was an SCCA regional run as preliminary races. 

Edited by RonPohl, 02 June 2021 - 23:05.

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 18:47

Wow...
Bobby Unser & Liberace.... Two polar opposites.
https://www.reviewjo...liance-2349604/

07-A3-A661-1-E2-F-4678-8-ECD-FD158-BF17-
Jp