Ziggo to lose Dutch broadcast rights in 2022

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:10

https://www.gptoday....rmule-1-na-2021

Chris Woerts, die altijd goed geïnformeerd is, weet dit tijdens de uitzending van Veronica Inside te vertellen. Tijdens de maandagavonduitzending vertelde hij dat Nordic Entertainment Group 30 miljoen gaat neertikken voor de rechten. Donderdag zou het bekend worden gemaakt. Olav Mol en Jack Plooij zouden mee verhuizen.

In de wandelgangen wordt gesproken over de betrokkenheid van media-icoon John de Mol. De eigenaar van Talpa probeert al langer de F1-rechten te bemachtigen en dat lijkt nu via deze constructie gelukt, al wordt er gesproken over het uitzenden van de F1 in Nederland via een nieuw kanaal; VIAPLAY - een grote Scandinavische betaalzender.

Translation.

The Nordic Entertainment Group seems to be willing to spend 30 million (euro?) for the TV-rights from 2022 onwards. They don't have a channel in the Netherlands now, but can use it to launch ViaPlay  in the Netherlands.

Akward about this is, is that Ziggo is 50% (I heard) owned by Liberty who owns F1. Weren't they recently stating they need more eyeballs on the sport? Banishing it to another digital channel will kill the F1-renaissance we have here.

Advertisement

#2 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,995 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:14

I was jumping for joy on my couch at the prospect of finally not having to hear Mol and Plooij anymore after reading the thread title. Why on God's green earth would anyone invest so much into broadcasting rights then bring these two absolute muppets along!?

#3 loki

loki

• 12,300 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:20

https://www.gptoday....rmule-1-na-2021

Translation.

The Nordic Entertainment Group seems to be willing to spend 30 million (euro?) for the TV-rights from 2022 onwards. They don't have a channel in the Netherlands now, but can use it to launch ViaPlay  in the Netherlands.

Akward about this is, is that Ziggo is 50% (I heard) owned by Liberty who owns F1. Weren't they recently stating they need more eyeballs on the sport? Banishing it to another digital channel will kill the F1-renaissance we have here.

Different Liberty though Malone.  Malone has a few Liberty branded media companies.  Liberty Media is F1.  Liberty Global is involved with Ziggo with Vodaphone.

#4 OneLapWonder

OneLapWonder

• 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:23

I was jumping for joy on my couch at the prospect of finally not having to hear Mol and Plooij anymore after reading the thread title. Why on God's green earth would anyone invest so much into broadcasting rights then bring these two absolute muppets along!?

Because it increases the chances of people watching - people like familiarity. It's all about the money.

And if you have incompetent commentators, you're stuck with them..

Edited by OneLapWonder, 17 May 2021 - 20:24.

#5 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:35

30m a year... That will never work out. Haven't they learned how much viewers are lost when F1 went behind paywalls in other countries. F1 is FTA for everyone with a Ziggo subscription.

#6 bibliophagos

bibliophagos

• 502 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:39

That would free up a lot of weekends for me. No way I'm going to pay extra for F1.

#7 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:42

Well that's a bummer.  I get free F1 through my mobile phone subscription (affiliated to Ziggo/Vodafone).  So if this moves to a new channel it just means more money.  The new channel will have to either offer lots of extras or will have to undercut F1 TV Pro, which is currently just a little over €5 per month.  Unless the deal gives them exclusivity and F1 TV Pro is removed from NL?

#8 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 3,091 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:50

Well that's a bummer.  I get free F1 through my mobile phone subscription (affiliated to Ziggo/Vodafone).  So if this moves to a new channel it just means more money.  The new channel will have to either offer lots of extras or will have to undercut F1 TV Pro, which is currently just a little over €5 per month.  Unless the deal gives them exclusivity and F1 TV Pro is removed from NL?

If that happens I'll watch F1 through other means, or not watch it at all. I'm not paying for shitty commentary, besides, I don't even have cable tv anymore.

We'll see what happens, but I bet the vast majority of Dutch viewers will stop watching if they have to pay for it, the "Max" effect has limits.

#9 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:52

You’re out of luck then, because Woerts also said it’s highly likely those two will move to the new broadcaster too. I’m just hoping they ditch that awful host from the preview shows, those semi Dutch celebrities and Tom Coronel as well. Doornbos, van der Zande and Van der Garde are welcome though.

#10 loki

loki

• 12,300 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 20:57

30m a year... That will never work out. Haven't they learned how much viewers are lost when F1 went behind paywalls in other countries. F1 is FTA for everyone with a Ziggo subscription.

I think your thought in the OP makes the most sense from a business standpoint.  Launch Viaplay in the Netherlands by going after Ziggo.  Based on another thread the Bahrain race had 2.8 mil Dutch viewers on Ziggo.  If you could get half to Viaplay that would be a good return.  Max fever is just heating up.  Red Bull may not be able to get a WCC this year but Max could be in the hunt for a WDC.   Someone’s going to have to build a fire under Checko.  

#11 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 21:05

I think your thought in the OP makes the most sense from a business standpoint.  Launch Viaplay in the Netherlands by going after Ziggo.  Based on another thread the Bahrain race had 2.8 mil Dutch viewers on Ziggo.  If you could get half to Viaplay that would be a good return.  Max fever is just heating up.  Red Bull may not be able to get a WCC this year but Max could be in the hunt for a WDC.   Someone’s going to have to build a fire under Checko.  

It was at primetime start of the season with RB having a good winter test. With the balance shifting towards Metc again, no one will pay up and viewership will decline. It won't be the first time someone overestimates the Dutch market.

#12 bibliophagos

bibliophagos

• 502 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 21:09

It was at primetime start of the season with RB having a good winter test. With the balance shifting towards Metc again, no one will pay up and viewership will decline. It won't be the first time someone overestimates the Dutch market.

I'm old enough to vividly remember Sport 7. Also with John de Mol (https://en.m.wikiped...rg/wiki/Sport_7)

#13 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 21:11

I'm old enough to vividly remember Sport 7. Also with John de Mol (https://en.m.wikiped...rg/wiki/Sport_7)

I know, it didn't live for long. But De Mol seems to be behind this move as well. So to harvest 30m + product costs, expect a lot of commercial breaks.

#14 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 21:20

2.8 people watching a race from a ~18 mill population is crazy. F1, at least here is at best a niche sport. You're talking over 1 in 10 in the whole country watching a race. 

#15 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 21:25

2.8 people watching a race from a ~18 mill population is crazy. F1, at least here is at best a niche sport. You're talking over 1 in 10 in the whole country watching a race. 

That was a peak measurement. GP Spain had 1.132k (1.472k peak). 

#16 ThrottleBlib

ThrottleBlib

• 393 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 21:26

Mol is okay, he has no support for lap times etc. so he misses things happening on track. 

Plooij is.. cringe most of the times, tbh. 

Loved Kalff in the old days doing the grid walks. 

#17 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 22:00

Mol doesn't want any support. It is very Dutch to have a single commentator at sport events. 

#18 loki

loki

• 12,300 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 23:37

The play would be for current Ziggo subscribers for the service as a whole.  F1 is just a sweetener as the goal is to sell cable.  A lot of that will depend on what the pricing and Dutch based/ interest content packages are.

Edit:  Looks like NENT has been doing three year deals for F1 rights in other markets including the one with Poland for 2023  announced a couple weeks ago.  Given the market size I’d say if the 30 mil number was accurate it’s 10 mil/yr deal.  With the scale of Viaplay’s sports and entertainment content it’s not that expensive.

Edited by loki, 17 May 2021 - 23:56.

#19 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,406 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 23:42

Ahh... ViaPlay... sounds familiar. It's them who will show F1 in Poland from 2023.

Advertisement

#20 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,999 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 00:23

Ahh... ViaPlay... sounds familiar. It's them who will show F1 in Poland from 2023.

Motorsport-wise they've been a golden thing for Norway/Sweden (maybe Denmark as well?). F1, F2, F3, Porsche SuperCup, (Possibly Formula W), MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, MotoE, WEC, RX, NASCAR Cup, xFinity, Truck, IndyCar (incl. quals), Ferrari Challenge (random), Porsche Carrera Cup Scandinavia (Probably due to Ericsson kid brother, and I guess only in Norway and Sweden). All in one subscription.

In Norway, to get the sport, you need "Viaplay Total". Which includes all sport (champions league, league 1, FA Cup (or is it the league cup...), Championship, lots of other football(soccer), MMA, superbowl, NHL and loads of other sport), TV-series, both in-house productions, and bought from others, movies etc.

It's 33EUR a month for that package.

Considering what you get, it's fairly priced.

#21 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:45

Well, time to look at F1's streaming service after all then.

#22 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 06:55

Motorsport-wise they've been a golden thing for Norway/Sweden (maybe Denmark as well?). F1, F2, F3, Porsche SuperCup, (Possibly Formula W), MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, MotoE, WEC, RX, NASCAR Cup, xFinity, Truck, IndyCar (incl. quals), Ferrari Challenge (random), Porsche Carrera Cup Scandinavia (Probably due to Ericsson kid brother, and I guess only in Norway and Sweden). All in one subscription.

In Norway, to get the sport, you need "Viaplay Total". Which includes all sport (champions league, league 1, FA Cup (or is it the league cup...), Championship, lots of other football(soccer), MMA, superbowl, NHL and loads of other sport), TV-series, both in-house productions, and bought from others, movies etc.

They're not alone in running that model.  The problem is with the idea that if someone likes eg F1 they must therefore like all sports.  If you're only after F1 that's fairly expensive.  That said, if the TV series part of the package is compatible with other existing TV providers, so that it becomes a replacement for any existing subscription, rather than a bolt on, then it represents better value.  I would hazard a guess that most people here tend to get their TV bundled with their internet packages though so will be interesting to see how they combat that.

#23 baku

baku

• 595 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:08

Mol doesn't want any support. It is very Dutch to have a single commentator at sport events. 

To be honest, i like that. I tried sky a few times, but they just keep on talking and talking the whole time, they dont give us time to breath. I personally Like Mol alot. He gives you that feeling that we are all in it together. Also i dont understand people saying he has no knowledge.
I disagree, he is really sharp most of the time(and im not talking about that he sometimes misses something on track). But his prediction, feel for the race is awesome. The first race i heard him was when Senna died. His commentary was one of the best i have ever heard.
Not a fan of jack plooij tough,

#24 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:13

The play would be for current Ziggo subscribers for the service as a whole.  F1 is just a sweetener as the goal is to sell cable.  A lot of that will depend on what the pricing and Dutch based/ interest content packages are.

Edit:  Looks like NENT has been doing three year deals for F1 rights in other markets including the one with Poland for 2023  announced a couple weeks ago.  Given the market size I’d say if the 30 mil number was accurate it’s 10 mil/yr deal.  With the scale of Viaplay’s sports and entertainment content it’s not that expensive.

The scoop was here in Dutch: 

Seems they also picked up the BundesLiga and darts, harvesting sport rights with massive amounts of cash. 

Ziggo/Vodafone have a lot riding on combined packages with discounts (and the usually paid for Ziggo Sports Totaal for free) if you have mobile in combination with TV and Internet. If that value is lost, they will lose subsribers on both sides.

Edited by SenorSjon, 18 May 2021 - 07:15.

#25 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:15

To be honest, i like that. I tried sky a few times, but they just keep on talking and talking the whole time, they dont give us time to breath. I personally Like Mol alot. He gives you that feeling that we are all in it together. Also i dont understand people saying he has no knowledge.
I disagree, he is really sharp most of the time(and im not talking about that he sometimes misses something on track). But his prediction, feel for the race is awesome. The first race i heard him was when Senna died. His commentary was one of the best i have ever heard.

He wants to make it accessible for everyone, but the experienced viewers usually expect more. I like the dual commentators like they do on RTL7 Darts. 

I used to watch it on BBC with Brundle and... (forgot name), while we had it on FTA as well.

#26 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:20

Each their own ofcourse but Dutch tv commentary in general is horrible compared to other countries.

Heck, even Dutch radio commentary for football is tons better because thats actually dual commentator

Personally I am a big fan of the US approach. At least 2 commentators who work very well together. Several commentators around the track/pitlane/pitch.

#27 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:34

Unless the deal gives them exclusivity and F1 TV Pro is removed from NL?

This will probably happen, same thing happened in Germany this year.

#28 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,842 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:44

If they really ask 33€/Month and they pay 30 mil, that's likely. I really dont like these developments... The sport should be more accessible. Ah well.... 

#29 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:59

Maybe it will work with an VPN?

#30 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:03

Maybe it will work with an VPN?

As far as I know the problem is that the check is not IP based but creditcard based

#31 Sash1

Sash1

• 1,297 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:09

I am getting a bit tired of pay extra for everything channels. I have a maximum Ziggo account, the wife wants Netflix extra, the kids want Disney+, now some **** goes behind Amazon channel, exclusive movies behind another pay channel. No way I'll pay for yet another channel. Perhaps I'll ditch all the extra channels. F them.

#32 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,406 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:10

In Poland it will be twice as expensive to watch F1 in 2023 than it's now.

#33 Pingguest

Pingguest

• 942 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:17

Making Formula One less accessible, will not get the sport any further. 

#34 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 3,091 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:18

For football maybe. But other sports often have 2 commentators.

#35 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:19

yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.  As much as I love F1, there's no way I'm going to pay EUR 30+ monthly to watch, nor will I change all my tv and internet subscriptions to move to another provider.  Like many people here I get an all-in-one package for TV + internet and if I get the internet on its own (i have Gb speeds) it will be prohibitive.  Will wait and see what transpires but seriously worried this may be my last year of watching F1  :(

#36 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:22

I am getting a bit tired of pay extra for everything channels. I have a maximum Ziggo account, the wife wants Netflix extra, the kids want Disney+, now some **** goes behind Amazon channel, exclusive movies behind another pay channel. No way I'll pay for yet another channel. Perhaps I'll ditch all the extra channels. F them.

So much this. With all the extra packages, you have to search websites to actually find a movie or serie on one of the many add-ons. 

#37 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:22

Each their own ofcourse but Dutch tv commentary in general is horrible compared to other countries.

Heck, even Dutch radio commentary for football is tons better because thats actually dual commentator

Personally I am a big fan of the US approach. At least 2 commentators who work very well together. Several commentators around the track/pitlane/pitch.

I really liked Sky when I was in the UK.  Brundle is a gem as far as I'm concerned.  The Dutch commentary is average but nothing that really puts me off too much in the races.  The interviewing is cringeworthy but that's not my main interest anyway.

#38 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:23

He wants to make it accessible for everyone, but the experienced viewers usually expect more. I like the dual commentators like they do on RTL7 Darts. 

I used to watch it on BBC with Brundle and... (forgot name), while we had it on FTA as well.

Coulthard maybe?  They were a fab pairing

#39 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:30

How could I forget. :p

Advertisement

#40 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,995 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:33

You’re out of luck then, because Woerts also said it’s highly likely those two will move to the new broadcaster too. I’m just hoping they ditch that awful host from the preview shows, those semi Dutch celebrities and Tom Coronel as well. Doornbos, van der Zande and Van der Garde are welcome though.

The preview show and their F1 cafe and all their other nonsense is gutwrenchingly horrible, but it's easy to not watch and so I find it less offensive. It's qualifying and the race that as a F1 fan you cannot really get around where Mol still gets on my nerves because even after 25+ years of having to suffer his dreadful commentary he still doesn't have the faintest idea of what teams do with regards to strategy. He will miss so much of what is going on, even if it is less now with some of the pitlane battle graphics F1 displays. For an F1 insider who's made a paid career of it his grasp of the sport is unbelievably poor. As for Plooij, the less said the better. My toes curl whenever he interviews someone.

#41 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 3,091 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:43

Don't forget about Mol sometimes basing his commentary on misinterpreted radio messages.  :lol:

#42 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,092 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:46

This sucks tbh. Right now I'm paying 9,99 p/m for Ziggo GO which has F1, FE, Indycar, Nascar, NBA, Champions League, Premier League, Serie A and Primera Division. It's an online subscription so i can watch on my phone or play it on my laptop or tv through a HDMI. If it goes to a 33 Euro a month subscription I'll def move to F1TV with VPN if they block it. Or just watch illegal streams.  :wave:

#43 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,644 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 08:57

F1 TV check seems to be creditcard based and not IP.

#44 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,019 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:05

Finnish CMore also lost the rights to Nordic Entertainment Group, starting from 2022. I was really looking forward to CMore's deal ending, because they had exclusivity and F1TV has not been available here. But the new Viasat deal is also marketed as exclusive, so I guess things will stay the same. But anyway, I will still pay them. CMore's production has been bad for a long time. I hope Viasat at least has the decency to travel to the races.

#45 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,513 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 09:09

I'm pretty happy with Ziggo as it is. I think they have their production in order. It's not all interesting but the show is far from bad. 

Mol and Plooij - they give it their best. It provides a bit of atmosphere and I don't mind. 

We can go all high-brow and say they haven't got things right a lot of the time, well fair enough but they do create an open and friendly atmosphere to the sport. I don't need commentary to tell me what's happening on track as I see it myself. I think that includes a lot of us on these forums. So I'm happy that the commentary caters to a more netry level audience. 

I'm not interested in other sports besides motorsports so it would be a bummer if it gets a hefty price tag but includes a lot of other sports. And I hope I can get it as a regular channel on my tv so I don't have to mess around with streaming etc. 

#46 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:02

If they need a subscription it isn't FTA. Just because it's available to all subscribers, doesn't change that it's behind a paywall.

#47 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:04

As far as I know the problem is that the check is not IP based but creditcard based

So if you were living abroad, but using a credit card from your home country that would stop you from subscribing?

#48 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:17

So if you were living abroad, but using a credit card from your home country that would stop you from subscribing?

Yep

#49 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,842 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:20

Yep

Getting a credit card in the country where you live and ordering F1 TV PRO will probably still be significantly less than €30 per month though!

#50 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,842 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:21

It's confirmed by Ziggo now:

https://twitter.com/...580282364338176