- - - - -

Does F1 have an inferiority complex?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,009 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 17:26

Today Max won his first ever Monaco GP, the crown jewel, and took the championship lead for the first time in his career. Instead of fully focusing on Max's great perfomance, DC decided to cut the interview short and have a very awkward interview with Serena Williams, who was already given the honor of awkwardly waving the chequered flag. He even asked if Serena had any advice for Max, like, what? It felt like Serena was not expecting to be given such attention, and why should she? Now, admittedly Serena is a superstar so she will naturally draw some attention on the paddock, but F1 has been bending over backwards for celebrities many times over the years. It feels like any B grade Hollywood star is guaranteed to appear in the live feed. The chequered flag gets waved by all manner of incompetent fools. Hugh Grant appears on the paddock and he's the cool thing? No, that shouldn't be.

I think there is a difference between highlighting VIPs correctly and what F1 keeps doing, which is making a huge deal about celebrities enjoying F1. Why are we so surprised every time someone likes us? Have some self respect! Does F1 think they are so much more inferior than for example tennis? I couldn't even imagine an F1 driver being given any special treatment at Wimbledon, in fact Hamilton has been denied access there for wrongful attire if I remember correctly. So why does F1 not accept that it is cool on its own, and stop focusing on the wrong things?

Sorry for the ranty topic, but I'm interested in hearing your views on this "issue". :up:

Edited by Topsu, 23 May 2021 - 17:28.

Advertisement

#2 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 17:39

Williams is a global superstar, at the top of her game.

VER could be construed as the same thing.

Their ability isn't in doubt, but their ability to deal with the hype, the stress is a legitimate question; this is the first time VER has led the WDC, so it's not dumb to ask a globval superstar how to deal with these pressures.

Serena Williams is a bigger star than Max, so it's quite sensible to give her some airtime.  IMO, Obvs

#3 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 17:40

Yeah, a bit ridiculous and unnecessary to me.

Does anyone ever imagine the opposite, an F1 driver being a "guest star" on a grand slam final, and being there in the mix sharing the spotlight with the two players in the trophy ceremony?

Edited by NixxxoN, 23 May 2021 - 20:56.

#4 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 17:50

Today it was certainly inferior to watching paint dry...

#5 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 17:53

How is this an issue? Perfect example of how people can get worked up over everything (even if it's really nothing) these days.

F1 invites a global superstar from a different sport to be present and give her some airtime. All aimed at increasing exposure. So what. Big deal. 

Next.

#6 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 17:58

Their ability isn't in doubt, but their ability to deal with the hype, the stress is a legitimate question; this is the first time VER has led the WDC, so it's not dumb to ask a globval superstar how to deal with these pressures.

Serena Williams is a bigger star than Max, so it's quite sensible to give her some airtime.  IMO, Obvs

Give her airtime at a tennis match then. She doesn't deserve any airtime at an F1 race, and especially not during the winners interview. Leaving Verstappen standing around like a lemon was disgraceful.

#7 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 5,225 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:03

How is this an issue? Perfect example of how people can get worked up over everything (even if it's really nothing) these days.

F1 invites a global superstar from a different sport to be present and give her some airtime. All aimed at increasing exposure. So what. Big deal. 

Next.

I'll ask you this,

Would Hamilton (as the biggest name on the current grid) be invited to join Serena if she won Wimbledon?

The answer to that question is no chance.

So why does F1 do it

#8 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:06

Give her airtime at a tennis match then. She doesn't deserve any airtime at an F1 race, and especially not during the winners interview. Leaving Verstappen standing around like a lemon was disgraceful.

Replies like these makes me wonder if F1 fans have an inferiority complex.

I'll ask you this,

Would Hamilton (as the biggest name on the current grid) be invited to join Serena if she won Wimbledon?

So why does F1 do it

Maybe that's exactly why. F1 knows its not currently a sport for the global masses and is trying to increase their exposure.

It's just business. Why waste any time getting worked up about it?

#9 Celloman

Celloman

• 1,604 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:07

It's not like the interview was a spontaneous thing, these kinds of things are well planned beforehand by PR departments. Most likely they expected Hamilton to be there in P1, who has nothing to learn about pressure really. It's just another marketing stunt.

Edited by Celloman, 23 May 2021 - 18:07.

#10 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:07

It's happened at every GP for years; they put global superstars, of which she is one, at most F1 races, to go global: Nadal has done one, Ronaldo, et al

What's the difference,  interested at the reply....

#11 djparky

djparky

• 1,997 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:13

Bit of an over reaction..

#12 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:19

Sorry but how is she at the top of her game, she hasn't won anything since 2017, that is 4 years ago.

Edited by NixxxoN, 23 May 2021 - 18:19.

#13 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:20

It's happened at every GP for years; they put global superstars, of which she is one, at most F1 races, to go global: Nadal has done one, Ronaldo, et al

What's the difference,  interested at the reply....

I've always had the same view regardless who is there. I don't care whether it's a sports person, actor, or other "celeb". I don't care that they are actually there, unless the cameras keep focussing on them instead of the action that I tuned in to watch. Interrupting the interview with the race winner to talk to her was a whole new level for me though.

#14 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:21

Yeah, a bit ridiculous and unnecessary to me.

Does anyone ever imagine the opposite, an F1 driver being a "guest star" on a grand slam final?

If it was Lewis, yes. Anyone else forget it. None of my friends watch F1, though a few have heard of Lewis Hamilton. So I can see him at Wimbledon, or World Cup matches, if he has an interest at that sort of thing.

#15 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:22

I've always had the same view regardless who is there. I don't care whether it's a sports person, actor, or other "celeb". I don't care that they are actually there, unless the cameras keep focussing on them instead of the action that I tuned in to watch. Interrupting the interview with the race winner to talk to her was a whole new level for me though.

Happened all the time.  Literally.

#16 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:23

Happened all the time.  Literally.

When has the interview with the race winner been interrupted to talk to some other person in the manner shown today?

#17 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:26

Sorry but how is she at the top of her game, she hasn't won anything since 2017, that is 4 years ago.

I think you missed the "23 grand slams" part of global superstar.  

If you're denying the fact she's a global superstar, my actual point, then I have to question your issue with her.

VER is unknown outside of Holland and F1.  She isn't.  Think about that for a moment.  Please.

#18 masa90

masa90

• 2,032 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:28

Yeah I personally do not like it. Today felt almost as forced as that year when Will Smith was at Abu Dhabi? Too much other factors and makes the race feel like an after thought.

#19 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:29

If it was Lewis, yes. Anyone else forget it. None of my friends watch F1, though a few have heard of Lewis Hamilton. So I can see him at Wimbledon, or World Cup matches, if he has an interest at that sort of thing.

Imagine the legendary Federer vs Nadal duels... When then the match ends, they proceed to the trophy ceremony, but before that.... "Hello, there, it's Lewis hamilton!!, no idea what I'm doing here but I'm a special celebrity guest so, I want to grab some attention"
Just no :rotfl:

I think you missed the "23 grand slams" part of global superstar.

If you're denying the fact she's a global superstar, my actual point, then I have to question your issue with her.

VER is unknown outside of Holland and F1. She isn't. Think about that for a moment. Please.

I've not denied she's a sports superstar, just saying she is not at the top of her game like you said. Am I wrong?

Edited by NixxxoN, 23 May 2021 - 18:33.

Advertisement

#20 Misk

Misk

• 734 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:29

The whole thing was pure cringe. Williams seemed confused and surprised when DC asked her to speak in the first place. Verstappen's interaction with her was akward, and then he was left standing their looking like an idoit as DC proceeded to ask Williams what advice she had for him - a question she smartly laughed off.

#21 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:35

Imagine the legendary Federer vs Nadal duels... When then the match ends, they proceed to the trophy ceremony, but before that.... "Hello, there, it's Lewis hamilton!!, no idea what I'm doing here but I'm a special celebrity guest so, I want to grab some attention"
Just no :rotfl:

I've not denied she's a sports superstar, just saying she is not at the top of her game like you said. Am I wrong?

Global superstar.  

F1 is trying to grow as a business, you get that, right?

You get why, right?

The last year has been written off.  I'll tell you what, how about a silly bet that she returns to winning?

#22 masa90

masa90

• 2,032 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:41

Global superstar.  

You get why, right?

The last year has been written off.  I'll tell you what, how about a silly bet that she returns to winning?

How much does this grow the sport? Will news broadcasts show f1 i ngood light because top talent from other sport decides to hang around and watch it? Is this gonna attract new viewers from world of tennis? Has anyone ever began to watch anything else after cameo like this. I would not start watching tennis for example even if my favourite Kimi was there to do some publicity stunt.

#23 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,993 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:41

Fully agree with the OP. It’s exactly what I was thinking. In decades and years past celebrities and the rich and famous would come to a grand prix to lift their profile and get some free public exposure. The glamour of F1 is long gone. Nowadays Liberty seem desperate for the product to be associated with anyone noteworthy. Have some self respect, improve the product (sound, racing) and bring back the glamour, and the stars will return. Today with Serena was painful viewing, felt very forced and unnatural.

Edited by FullOppositeLock, 23 May 2021 - 20:46.

#24 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,274 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:43

If you want to make your product more popular it might be better to improve the product instead of using celebrity endorsements who look clueless as to what is going on and don’t look that interested in the first place. 

can’t really expect much from Liberty, they are clueless. 

#25 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,998 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:44

Global superstar.

You get why, right?

The last year has been written off. I'll tell you what, how about a silly bet that she returns to winning?

How on earth is giving a beyond belief interview to a tennis player while the race winner is left just to stand there promoting F1?

It’s was embarrassing and made the sport look ridiculous. I can’t think of another sport where that would have happened. It was beyond bizarre.

#26 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:47

I'll ask you this,

So why does F1 do it

F1 allows celebs onto the playing field.  Has done so for decades.  It's a way of adding to the 'glamour', and if it is annoying then just be thankful that it was all very limited this year because Monaco is a usually a hotbed for celeb hangers on/ invitees.

Otherwise, this is a bit of a non-issue and those protesting come across as a bit too precious about it.

#27 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,993 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:50

Serena was completely caught off guard and didn’t want to play ball. She gave some generic answers and still DC came back not once, but twice. To say it was akward was being generous. We had a great podium, with three young, happy drivers. Would have been great getting the three together and have them crack some fun at each other, yet they went for this planned but unprepared shitshow. It was embarrassing for all concerned, it really was.

#28 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:53

It's not as if some sacred part of the F1 weekend was interrupted.  The trophy presentation wasn't ruined.  Remember the drivers used to be sent to the media room for some stilted post race interviews.  When they started doing these podium based interviews it was a lot more cringe inducing than what we had today with Jordan and the loud shirt guy from German TV.  Seems like a very large mountain being made from a very small molehill.

#29 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,993 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:54

F1 allows celebs onto the playing field. Has done so for decades. It's a way of adding to the 'glamour', and if it is annoying then just be thankful that it was all very limited this year because Monaco is a usually a hotbed for celeb hangers on/ invitees.

Otherwise, this is a bit of a non-issue and those protesting come across as a bit too precious about it.

Massive difference between VIP’s hanging around there by their own volition and doing an impromptu interview at an appropriate time (pre race) and showing Serena at intervals during the race, her walk to the finish line with a few laps to go, the finish flag mockery and then dragging her in front of camera’s in the middle of the interview with the race winner when it’s clear she couldn’t be less interested if she tried…

#30 danmills

danmills

• 3,170 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 18:55

Does it happen in any other sport or event where someone unrelated bombs it?

There's not really any massive issue with it in itself, but the timing today and coverage / instruction to do so as if she was priority making Max wait was simply crap.

As said before, can you imagine Serena winning Wimbledon, but before they speak to her they immediately wait for some nonsensical mic moment with multiple oscar winner Daniel Day Lewis. Why? Why wait? Why him? Or a 9 time tiddlywinks champion before the FA Cup is awarded? 

There was an element of taking the moment away and arguably painted the win and ultimately F1 as second rate to getting a word from a singular celebrity on a holiday trip.

That's why some here are peeved.

Reminds me of graduation at University and having guest Z list celebrity speakers announcing names, people of zero affiliation or connection being there for the sake of it. 

Edited by danmills, 23 May 2021 - 19:24.

#31 Leibowitz

Leibowitz

• 811 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:03

The way they left Max hanging is beyond disgusting. She waived the chequered flag, and that should’ve been enough. I am certainly not interested in uninformed opinions of American sports personalities.

#32 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:11

Global superstar.  

You get why, right?

Hmmm... at nearly 40, I highly doubt she'll return to winning. Similar to Alonso, as much as I'd like to see him win again, I dont think that will happen, at his age.

Edited by NixxxoN, 23 May 2021 - 19:11.

#33 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:20

In times gone by, they might well have interviewed her briefly either during the race or after the drivers' interviews to ask what she thought of the event, and so on. Cutting off Max was....odd...

#34 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:21

The usual Liberty spiel appealing to the lowest common denominator of fan.

#35 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,998 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:37

The usual Liberty spiel appealing to the lowest common denominator of fan.

Building a foundation on sand. Very worrying.

#36 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:39

She just paid to be there, don't blame her. It's all Liberty fault.

#37 RogerStone

RogerStone

• 864 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:40

When has the interview with the race winner been interrupted to talk to some other person in the manner shown today?

Never happened in memory..  pretty awkward and useless.  Kinda stuff usually reserved for gridwalk BS.

#38 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:53

How much does this grow the sport? Will news broadcasts show f1 i ngood light because top talent from other sport decides to hang around and watch it? Is this gonna attract new viewers from world of tennis? Has anyone ever began to watch anything else after cameo like this. I would not start watching tennis for example even if my favourite Kimi was there to do some publicity stunt.

The point and you are distant bystanders

#39 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:54

How on earth is giving a beyond belief interview to a tennis player while the race winner is left just to stand there promoting F1?

It’s was embarrassing and made the sport look ridiculous. I can’t think of another sport where that would have happened. It was beyond bizarre.

I'll give you a few minutes to think about this.

Advertisement

#40 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:55

F1 allows celebs onto the playing field.  Has done so for decades.  It's a way of adding to the 'glamour', and if it is annoying then just be thankful that it was all very limited this year because Monaco is a usually a hotbed for celeb hangers on/ invitees.

This

#41 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:55

Hmmm... at nearly 40, I highly doubt she'll return to winning. Similar to Alonso, as much as I'd like to see him win again, I dont think that will happen, at his age.

Genuinely, do you not get the zeitgeist at the moment?

#42 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 19:59

Genuinely, do you not get the zeitgeist at the moment?

No idea what you mean :confused:

#43 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 20:01

No idea what you mean :confused:

Ok, I'm new, so iot is what it is

#44 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 20:02

That's true, and in certain places like Monaco even more so. However, only at the grid before the start.

Waving the checkered flag, very rare but sometimes has been done. And in the middle of the interview o fthe race winner? Never ever.

#45 rf90

rf90

• 936 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 20:05

I did think the DC interview was really naff, but I forgot all about it a few seconds afterwards. I certainly didn't feel the need to start a thread about it.

I wonder though if certain 'views' on here would be the same if Hamilton was the one being interviewed and someone who hardly knew him (like I suspect Williams didn't know about Verstappen) was given similar cringe air-time while he stood there all awkward?

I really do believe some posters post stuff here just to be contrary and some are just biased hypocrites.

#46 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 20:08

I can accept grid walks or waving the chequered flag, all stuff other sports also do. And trust me this does promote the sport. but hijacking the winners interview or stuff like Will Smith being inserted into the initial celebration of a championship instead of the drivers engineer/team boss is just a big no to me. And I don't understand why they feel the need to: it's still a massively popular global sport, there is no need to make yourself so small.

#47 6degreesofcamber

6degreesofcamber

• 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 20:08

That's true, and in certain places like Monaco even more so. However, only at the grid before the start.

Waving the checkered flag, very rare but sometimes has been done. And in the middle of the interview o fthe race winner? Never ever.

Reiterating: Williams is more known to the worldwide, non F1, public than VER is.

F1 is, pretty much, an investment instrument

F1 inc, will do as much as it can to raise it's profile, ergo it's position,

Gebnuinely, nothing to see here.

#48 jAnO76

jAnO76

• 482 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 20:12

Doubt she could beat max tbh.. he’s easy in the top 350 ;-)

https://www.theguard...,543962,00.html

Edited by jAnO76, 23 May 2021 - 20:15.

#49 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 20:17

Reiterating: Williams is more known to the worldwide, non F1, public than VER is.

F1 is, pretty much, an investment instrument

F1 inc, will do as much as it can to raise it's profile, ergo it's position,

Gebnuinely, nothing to see here.

Seriously... Who cares. The ones to get the spotlight after the race are the podium drivers, no one else.

If you think Max and other drivers are not known enough worldwide, then that's another reason to focus on them on their glory moments, so the sports news show their faces instead of that well known tennis player, it's that simple.

#50 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 23 May 2021 - 20:22

This kind of stuff is hilarious cringe. But I'm not gonna lose 5 seconds of sleep over it.