Photo

Geoghegan Lotus Cortina

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 TerryS

TerryS

• 967 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 01:10

The ex Pete Geoghegan works lightweight Lotus Cortina has now come up for auction at a forthcoming Shannon's auction

https://www.shannons...AECFYFTF6K28QJ/

This car won no major races or championships.

As note in ad blurb it was allegedly one of three shipped to Australia. This seems a bit of a myth as only the Geoghegan and Jane cars have been identified.
No one has has named the third car.

The car rolled spectacularly in April 1965 at Catalina Park. AS no roll cages in those days the front of the roof was completely stoved in.

It was reported in Racing Car News that the car was completely repaired and ready for racing in only three days. This seems a little unbelievable

The car was quickly sold to Frank Melit of Queensland. He continued its bad luck by rolling it twice (at Lowood and Lakeside)

He sold it on and it has not been raced for over 50 years.

There was a story I heard at the time that the car had been dropped when unloading from ship. This was not detected and led to its bad handling.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 04:03

Didn't we establish that the third lightweight Lotus Cortina was onforwarded to New Zealand for Jim Palmer?

I'm fairly sure that's what came up on this forum once. I could probably ask Graham Mein, who is the current owner of this car.

#3 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:41

A$2000,000 sounds a lot, even in Aussi $. If one has a spare bodyshell, 3 days should be no problem - I'm often amazed at how, in the BTCC, they get wrecked cars out for the second race.

#4 TerryS

TerryS

• 967 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 06:57

Didn't we establish that the third lightweight Lotus Cortina was onforwarded to New Zealand for Jim Palmer?

Ray, the Jim Palmer Lotus Cortina was not a lightweight works car but "a special equipment road version".

#5 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 418 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 21:25

. I could probably ask Graham Mein, who is the current owner of this car.

Trevor Simpson is the current owner not Graham Mein.

Dale.

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:18

Yes, you're right, Dale...

I was confusing it with the Michelmore car, which is one of the ones he still owns. He did, however, own the Geoghegan car a few year ago.

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 07:29

I called Graham...

He tells me he asked everyone he could think of where that third car got to. It was common knowledge that three cars were sent but the closest he got to any kind of a likely answer was that it went to South Australia.

Two possibilities arise. It could have gone into somebody's 'secret' collection and maybe even still be there. Or at some later time it was exported.

He reckons the 'dropped at the docks' story has no real potential. He found no damage to the car consistent with that having happened. He did find plenty of damage to the car, naturally enough, the two Melit (actually 'Melita') rollovers having scraped and dinged a lot of the panels.

By the way, I feel sure this car made another kind of history. As far as I know, it's the only car ever to bring out two separate red flags.

#8 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 23:28

A$2000,000 sounds a lot, even in Aussi $. If one has a spare bodyshell, 3 days should be no problem - I'm often amazed at how, in the BTCC, they get wrecked cars out for the second race.

More so because it is a grandfathers axe,,, in this case every panel replaced in 50 + years.

IF it was dropped on the wharf I suspect that alone would have killed it.

And for Geoghans maybe that is where the third car went!! 

BTCC cars like our Aussie Stupidcars are  much gutted and bolt or rivet together cars. Though not quite as bad as they do  not explode with small crashes.

#9 TerryS

TerryS

• 967 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 00:09

I called Graham...

He tells me he asked everyone he could think of where that third car got to. It was common knowledge that three cars were sent but the closest he got to any kind of a likely answer was that it went to South Australia.

Two possibilities arise. It could have gone into somebody's 'secret' collection and maybe even still be there. Or at some later time it was exported.

Regarding the three cars story, it may have been that Lotus did this with road cars such as the Elan and Europa, but there is no evidence that it applied to their race cars.

Just look at Geoghegan's Lotus 32, 47 and 59, all single imports.

I really feel that after all this time that the existence of a third lightweight Lotus Cortina is as illusory as the existence of Lasseter's Reef.

I will stand corrected if one shred of evidence to support it is revealed. 

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 03:03

Graham told me that even the British teams buying the cars had to take batches of three...

And you might recall that the Michelmore car was one of three shipped at one time.

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:38

I just realised what a shame it is...

Daniel Tracey used to work for Geoghegan's assembling the cars, he might have known something about the third lightweight Lotus Cortina.

As for coming in batches of three, Marc Schagen assures me that the early Elans (the same era, you will note) did arrive in lots of three. And we do know that the first three lightweight Elans came as a bunch of three - one for Fred Gibson, one for Bob Jane and one to sell, but Leo put it on the track for himself when it didn't sell because Fred was too slow with his.

#12 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,858 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:45

I don't know exactly who wrote the following 'in period' In The Pits words, but Ray Simpson was the NSW representative for Autosportsman at the time. Or perhaps it was a compilation of snippets by Jim Abbott or Len Shaw.

"Hear tell that Leo Geoghegan was a 'little upset' about a certain other driver getting first preference on a Lotus-Cortina (full works job); does seem a bit rough when you consider that the Geoghegans stayed with the Lotus crowd when they were having a rough time a couple of years back, plus the fact that they putin some staggering times with their own GT. Let's face it, if it wasn't for the Geoghegans Lotus would be out, for their car is the only thing today that will topple the Brabhams."

then...

"Latest news is that Leo has gone to England in an effort to get things sorted out. He left with Matich two weeks ago but they will be back in time for Lakeside."

then more...

"Seems that if you wish to race the Lotus-Cortinas you must be patient and wait for the full works, as the over the counter version lacks that little extra in finish and performance. Mind you, it costs £1250 extra!"

The first point will relate to Bob Jane getting the jump. But it does make the batches of 3 for the works prepped cars to Oz rather questionable.

Stephen

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 20:35

As close as I can find it, Jane's debut run in the Lotus Cortina was September 20, 1964, he also ran at Mallala in October, both meetings resulting in negative results...

Catalina Park on November 8 saw him run it again, while Ian Geoghegan had his out for the first time and was significantly faster.

If anyone has a programme for the October Mallala meeting, it might be nice to know who had the third Lotus Cortina (after Jane and McKeown) there and whether it might have been a lightweight - which I think is unlikely.

#14 TerryS

TerryS

• 967 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 23:40

In addition to the above Lotus Cortina the vendor has two other very interesting race cars in the forthcoming Shannon's auction:

BRABHAM BT23B

This car most recently driven in Australia for the owner by John Bowe and Richard Carter

https://www.shannons...EBE1CFIA41F839/

This car has been on the American race-cars.com site for quiet some time unsuccessfully. It was listed at USD 200K , about AUD 260K.

1967 Brabham BT23 Spec Sheet (race-cars.com)

BRABHAM BT5

This very pretty car is one of only two made

https://www.shannons...EBE1CFIA41F839/

#15 Fred.R

Fred.R

• 101 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 11:32

Could the 3rd car in the batch gone to Dr Malcom Nancarow he sold his  Special Equipment Lotus Elite and got a Lotus Cortina 

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 01:14

A good question...

The timing is right. Then there's the race record.

Nancarrow raced his Elite up until some time in 1964, but 1965 came and went without him racing any Lotus Cortina. Cyril Nancarrow is mentioned plenty of times racing a Mini Cooper S, but not Malcolm.

I think the answer to this riddle will come by enquiring of older minds in the SCC of SA.

While we're there, what was different in the 'lightweight' cars to justify the $2500 difference in price?

#17 TerryS

TerryS

• 967 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 05:32

A good question...

The timing is right. Then there's the race record.

Nancarrow raced his Elite up until some time in 1964, but 1965 came and went without him racing any Lotus Cortina. Cyril Nancarrow is mentioned plenty of times racing a Mini Cooper S, but not Malcolm.

I believe Malcolm Nancarrow died early April 2021, aged 99. So he can no longer be asked.

#18 2Bob

2Bob

• 581 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 22:08

I believe Malcolm Nancarrow died early April 2021, aged 99. So he can no longer be asked.

He was still in possession of the car at the time of his death.

I have some race results from 1969 and 1970 mentioning him and his car.

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 03:49

So was it a normal Lotus Cortina?

Or was it the sister car to the Jane and Geoghegan cars?

We still need to know what differed in these cars, then it's possible that race photos might show them up.

Advertisement

#20 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 775 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 09:47

This link may help - towards the last photos with red type are possible clues.

Lotus Cortina Information – Mk1 New Zealand Race

Edited by Patrick Fletcher, 31 May 2021 - 10:14.

#21 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 12:41

This link may help - towards the last photos with red type are possible clues.

Lotus Cortina Information – Mk1 New Zealand Race

Last pic,,, a Mk1 Zephyr and a finned Mopar. A contrast

And it appears they 'narrowed' the track with hay bales. Plus a kerb. Hardly an ideal facility.

One of those pics shows 65 thru to early 70s. Cars had improved [as had the cost] considerably

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 22:16

Patrick, I don't see what you're getting at there...

We don't even know if any of those cars were the race-prepared cars as were the Jane and Geoghegan cars.

#23 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 23:31

As I understand those 'lightweight' cars had some alloy panels and quite a spartan interior.

I suspect good luck in repairing or replacing those. Especially here in Oz.

Were the mechanicals any better? maybe and maybe not.

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 00:13

All the early Lotus Cortinas had some alloy panels, Lee...

You will read on a couple of places in the internet that, even with the alloy doors, bonnet and bootlid skinned with aluminium and the front bumper replaced with bumperettes from an Anglia panel van, alloy bellhousing and tail housing on the gearbox and an alloy nosepiece in the rear end, the Lotus Cortina was heavier than a standard car. Modifications and bracing to the rear suspension weighed more than the leaf springs which were taken out. Some extra weight came from addition seat padding and the addition of a remote gearchange.

Definitely the mechanicals were better. The Lotus 26R (lightweight Elan) had a 145hp engine compared to the 115 (?) of the standard car, no doubt this was a part of the extra cost. All early Lotus Cortinas had the close ratio gearbox, but it's very probable that the competition cars had a limited slip in the differential. Another thing which was changed was the substitution of a bespoke quicker steering box, they had just 2.5 turns lock to lock (confirmed on the Geoghegan car when owned by Graham Mein by Norm Smith).

With the Elan, Chapman added dual circuit brakes on the competition model, perhaps this was also fitted to the racing Lotus Cortinas?

#25 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,523 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:49

You will read on a couple of places in the internet that, even with the alloy doors, bonnet and bootlid skinned with aluminium and the front bumper replaced with bumperettes from an Anglia panel van, alloy bellhousing and tail housing on the gearbox and an alloy nosepiece in the rear end, the Lotus Cortina was heavier than a standard car. 

Yes, the 1963 Autocar road test of the Ford Cortina Lotus states that it was 28lb heavier than the standard 1200cc Cortina tested in 1962.

#26 TerryS

TerryS

• 967 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 00:14

The vendor of the Lotus Cortina and the two Brabhams mentioned above is Trevor Simpson, as note by Dale Harvey above.
Here is his story from a Club Lotus newsletter:

https://www.clublotu...trevor-simpson/

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:37

An interesting thought has occurred to me...

Jane was still running the Jaguar, but it had limitations under the more restrictive Improved Production rules of 1964. A Cortina GT won the Australian Touring Car Championship that year. And McKeown's Lotus Cortina was giving a good account of itself.

So Jane has ordered a special racing version of the Lotus Cortina, which turned out for its first race on September 20, 1964 but from the comments above it would be clear he ordered the car before the ATCC at Lakeside in late June or early July. Leo seems to have returned from England in June, so possibly earlier.

The Mustang was released on April 17, 1964. So could it be that the Mustangs were not yet in sight of anyone who might have thought they'd be a competitive race car?

#28 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:09

An interesting thought has occurred to me...

Jane was still running the Jaguar, but it had limitations under the more restrictive Improved Production rules of 1964. A Cortina GT won the Australian Touring Car Championship that year. And McKeown's Lotus Cortina was giving a good account of itself.

So Jane has ordered a special racing version of the Lotus Cortina, which turned out for its first race on September 20, 1964 but from the comments above it would be clear he ordered the car before the ATCC at Lakeside in late June or early July. Leo seems to have returned from England in June, so possibly earlier.

The Mustang was released on April 17, 1964. So could it be that the Mustangs were not yet in sight of anyone who might have thought they'd be a competitive race car?

Tell that to Norm Beechey.

#29 Porsche718

Porsche718

• 860 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:48

Trevor Simpson owns all 3 of the above cars - a couple a years ago I looked at them at Trevor's workshop on the north shore. At that stage he also had a BT15 which left for overseas not long after.

I always understood from info at the time - that the Geoghegan Lotus Cortina was rebodied with a normal shell - but lightened as much as possible. I think the "3 days" RCN quoted was a bit of a furfie ... because the first time the car re-appeared was the March 7 Lakeside Tasman round ... 5 weeks after the rollover at Catalina (Jan 31 meeting).

Pete then drove it again at the Sandown ATCC meeting, then Bathurst, then the car was sold to Frank Melit in QLD. So I feel the Shannon's race record included in their add for the car is a bit "creative"?

"There was a story I heard at the time that the car had been dropped when unloading from ship. This was not detected and led to its bad handling."

I think Terry's earlier comment may have merit as the car seemed to be "more on the money" at the Sandown and Bathurst meetings. It always struggled prior to the Catalina "mishap".

Edited by Porsche718, 02 June 2021 - 10:05.

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 11:27

I frankly don't think any lightening would have been likely...

With all that I've read over the past few days about Lotus Cortinas, there was nothing left to take out of them. Be that as it may, here's the rundown on the early events in the car's life:

First outing (unless I've missed something) was at Catalina on November 8, where it was ahead of Jane's in both practice and the races in the 1600 class. When put up against Jane's Jaguar it didn't manage to win but chased Jane home on a track which was getting wet. Fastest lap for Pete was 1:08.7 and Jane 1:08.2 after Pete had done 1:08.1 in practice. Bo Seton also did 1:08.2 in Pete's old GT Cortina.

Oran Park two weeks later it was driven by Leo. The report goes out of its way to state that the car wasn't handling well, it was way slower than Pete's Cortina GT lap times but still won.

"Weeks of frustrating racing and experimentation," says the report about the car's preparation for the December Warwick Farm. And the car was on pole for the 1600cc race and won it from Leo in the GT (Seton having returned the car) after Manton had an excursion. The times were close, just over 1:53. Then in the main event Pete was on second spot on the grid, won the start and was passed by Jane's Jaguar down the straight. After a few laps tailing Jane he repassed him at Polo Corner, but the report reads like this was one occasion where Jane unleashed the Nitrous Oxide to storm back into the lead down the straight. Again, Leo was in the GT and dicing with Muir and Foley behind them. One of the great races of all time.

Times for the two saw Pete do 1:52.9 in that race, Leo 1:53.3, Foley 1:52.6, McKeown had the fastest Cortina at 1:52.7, both Jane and Muir did 1:53.0.

So I think they had it at least close to sorted, even allowing for John Sheppard's appraisal that Pete tended to drive around any problems. McKeown had been flogging his around all over the country for a year by this time.

So it didn't 'always struggle' prior to the Catalina mishap. Which, to correct the opening post, was on the January long weekend, not in April. The 'struggling' seemed to end with that December Warwick Farm, it's also reasonable to suggest that Pete was a bit too keen on the first corner of the first lap when he rolled it as he wanted to build up a lead before Beechey got the Mustang past the other cars separating them.

#31 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 11:17

According to Graham Mein, the differences between an early Lotus Cortina and the competition version were:

The 145hp Cosworth-developed engine.

Heavier front anti-roll bar.

Possibly an LSD. Pete's car certainly had one, but it's possible that was purchased separately.

Delete heater.

Delete spare wheel.

Surely, for £1,250 it would have to include the LSD?

#32 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 775 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:43

And the red cam-cover.

Lotus Cortina Information – Mk 1 Production Racing Conversions

#33 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 15:06

It would seem clear that the centre console has been removed as well...

Other things mentioned in the article are different spring rates, damper valving altered and the quicker steering I mentioned yesterday (or was that the day before?). And the limited slip rear end is confirmed.

Thanks, Patrick.

#34 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 23:52

Possibly an LSD. Pete's car certainly had one, but it's possible that was purchased separately.

Surely, for £1,250 it would have to include the LSD?

They did something around the Diff. area according to Ian Pope(Lolita)  back then,replaced the alloy housing with steel but may have been vv.,long time ago.

#35 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 01:21

The Geoghegan car had a brace welded across the banjo...

The other modifications they did were replace the trailing arms with tubular ones instead of U-section and put a brace across the base of the A-frame.

#36 TerryS

TerryS

• 967 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 23:54

Looking back through this thread I realised there were no photos of the crashed Lotus Cortina, so I did a quick search and came up with these four:

Firstly a fantastic shot of Geoghegan leading the field and start of roll over. See post # 20. Note Manton in LHD Mini

http://www.theroarin...n lotus cortina

Secondly, OUCH!  Post #2

http://www.theroarin...n lotus cortina

Third, The Lotus Cortina sits forlornly as Manton and Foley speed past. Photo 65077

https://autopics.com...pher-ian-thorn/

Last, on back of tow truck, see post # 1497

https://forums.autos...na#entry7803561

There are others no doubt that others can contribute

Edited by TerryS, 05 June 2021 - 23:55.

#37 Porsche718

Porsche718

• 860 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:54

Great photos Terry

Yes, during this period Manton was able to change the Mini from RHD to LHD quite easily. There were two splined column pinions coming up through the floor. Passenger side and normal drivers side. IIRC he got the special double pinion rack from the BMC Competition Department - originally built for rallying.

How pedal and master cylinder assemblies were changed - I have no info.

I only ever recall seeing photos of Skinny racing in LHD at Catalina. It seems he felt more confident picking apexes at Katoomba in this setup - I recall Craven A being particularly tricky - especially as there was a crest right in the middle of the braking area.

He may have used the Mini elsewhere in LHD - but I don't ever recall seeing photos from other tracks in this config. Perhaps the vision at the wide open Sandown, Phillip Island, Mallala - all anti clockwise circuits - was good enough and he felt it wasn't needed.

Steve

#38 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 11:52

We might try this one too...

https://autopics.com...-thorn/#gallery

#39 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 03:23

The pics of the rolled car seems as if it was repairable. And clearly had been painted as the area where the screen rubber sits was a light color, probably white.

And that  ladies and gentlemen is the 'special' car. The replacement shell is NOT the special car.

As I said a while ago, a grandpas axe, only had 3 handles and two heads!

As a matter of interest were Ford making/ assembling Cortinas here at that time?

Advertisement

#40 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:52

I don't recall anyone saying it had a replacement shell, Lee...

All of the repairs were done before it was a couple of years old, too. Though later efforts were made to make it a better car.

#41 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,770 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:20

Great photos Terry

Yes, during this period Manton was able to change the Mini from RHD to LHD quite easily. There were two splined column pinions coming up through the floor. Passenger side and normal drivers side. IIRC he got the special double pinion rack from the BMC Competition Department - originally built for rallying.

I only ever recall seeing photos of Skinny racing in LHD at Catalina. It seems he felt more confident picking apexes at Katoomba in this setup - I recall Craven A being particularly tricky - especially as there was a crest right in the middle of the braking area.

He may have used the Mini elsewhere in LHD - but I don't ever recall seeing photos from other tracks in this config. Perhaps the vision at the wide open Sandown, Phillip Island, Mallala - all anti clockwise circuits - was good enough and he felt it wasn't needed.

Steve

I understand that Manton's steering rack was built locally and that the car was only run once or twice in LHD form. I don't think Manton ever took to it like he thought.
While it might seem a good idea to sit on the inside on Craven A at a fairly low speed it also means you are sitting on the outside in Bosch while flat out.

#42 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,770 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:23

We might try this one too...

https://autopics.com...-thorn/#gallery

An unusual angle. Not many photos from that spot.
I can see my old house from here! 

#43 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:36

You're right on both counts, Mountain Man...

It's taken not far from the start of the run to Craven A, at first I thought it was from the stretch leading into Dunlop, but the houses (and the hospital?) in the background make a mockery of that idea.

Bosch would certainly be something of a concern, sitting on the left hand side of a Mini. I don't know if he did run it anywhere other than at that Catalina meeting. Something worth checking out some time. For all the fuss made about it at the time it really amounted to very little.

#44 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 21:49

Terry has found this in the programme for the September 1967 Warwick Farm meeting...

0621mantonad-WFprog967.jpg

#45 Porsche718

Porsche718

• 860 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:22

IIRC he got the special double pinion rack from the BMC Competition Department - originally built for rallying.

Steve

I stand corrected -  again -

I thought I had read in Stuart Turner's book on the BMC Competition Department about the production of double pinion Cooper steering racks. That may still be the case but ...

... Manton's rack was built locally (Melbourne?) by Neville Watts. I don't know what his business was ... or how much he had to do with the preparation on Manton's Coopers but there it is. Anyone have any info on him? 

Apparently took about 90 minutes to do the changeover - column, pedals and master cylinder. 

Cheers

Steve

PS: It would be interesting to know if Jeff Dunkerton got the rack when he bought the Mini?

Edited by Porsche718, 14 June 2021 - 03:24.

#46 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 05:53

I don't recall anyone saying it had a replacement shell, Lee...

All of the repairs were done before it was a couple of years old, too. Though later efforts were made to make it a better car.

It has been alluded too earlier on these posts.

IF they raced it a week later it would not have been the same car.

#47 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:59

They didn't...

You might be confusing it with the GT, which was re-shelled in a week and went from 4-door to 2-door (or was it the other way round?). The Lotus crashed on the last weekend in January and next raced at Lakeside in March (March 7?).

#48 TerryS

TerryS

• 967 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:02

I now recall where the story about the THREE DAY TURNAROUND came from. It was with the Cortina GT and not the Lotus Cortina.

Geoghegans raced a 4 door Cortina GT as Ford released the 4 door before the 2 door in Australia.

Ian was practising mid week at Oran Park for the next weekends 1964 ATCC at Lakeside QLD

He inverted the Cortina. Ford hastily arranged for a 2 door Cortina GT from their Sydney press fleet to be made available.

The good bits were quickly switched over and  they set off for Lakeside, just making practice in time.

Ian went on to win the ATCC (only one race in those days) on the Sunday, the first of his five ATCC's.

I remembered I wrote about this on TRS, see attached post #13:

Geoghegan Family Cortina In New Zealand (theroaringseason.com)

Edited by TerryS, 15 June 2021 - 01:03.

#49 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,770 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:54

PS: It would be interesting to know if Jeff Dunkerton got the rack when he bought the Mini?

I have seen it written that the special rack was still in the car until shortly before it was picked up by the current owners. As in it was in the car when they bought it but it disappeared by the time they collected it. The car had been sitting in a paddock for a number of years.

#50 TerryS

TerryS

• 967 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 22:42

AUCTION RESULTS

Unfortunately the auction was unsuccessful for all three of Trevor Simpson's cars as all failed to meet their reserves.

Geoghegan Lotus Cortina

only 4 bids and highest was AUD 185,000

I thought this car would have more bids as there should be an international market for these cars

Brabham BT23

17 bids and highest was AUD170,000

Brabham BT5

15 bids and highest was AUD 202,000

A very desirable car these because of attractive body.