- - - - -

Vietnamese Grand Prix - any time soon?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 goffer

goffer

• 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:20

I was excited by the prospect of a Vietnamese GP, but of course Covid-19 dealt to its planned debut in 2020. Since then there has been little info or references to when - or if - this event might debut. I understand Vietnam is a stunning country - people, food, landscape, history, plus it is not that far from the south Pacific. 

Anyone read any info that indicates if this event is dead, or might yet rise to take its place in the F1 calendar ??

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:04

Hello, as the questions answer broader implications for the calendar, I’ve moved it to RC. 

Last I heard was that the race’s future was in serious doubt following the removal from office of the man who championed it. 

E. These articles don’t look hopeful, anyone heard anything better/more up to date?

https://the-race.com...ace-comes-next/

https://www.motorspo...e-vietnamese-gp

#3 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 09:08

I'm looking forward to it too. The track layout looks quite interesting

#4 GTR

GTR

• 727 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:00

I'm from Vietnam and let me share some insides. This race was basically organised and funded by a real estate magnate, who, IMO, according to the Civilised World's standard, would be most accurately described as a mafia. Two years of Covid have past and as the GP couldn't be held in a financial viable way, I think this mafia has given up on this.

In fact, there were articles in the local media basically saying that the Vietnam GP was gonna be officially canceled, and this mafia's corporate will pay the Hanoi City government some USD 30-40 mil in order for the Hanoi Government to pay Liberty the breach of contract fine (contract clause for breach of contract fine is 100 mil but Liberty agreed on the reduced sum). Later the mafia had taken these articles down.

So, in short I don't think it will ever see sunlight.

PS: there is one link that hasn't been taken down so I post it here for your reference, please forgive me for not being able to translate it however I think Google Translate would be useful:
https://www.tin247.c...6-28815945.html

or this link, same article: https://feed24h.net/...m_campaign=zalo

Edited by GTR, 12 June 2021 - 10:29.

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:09

Would be a shame it never got a chance, but that appears likely.

New permanent Grands Prix have had a remarkable habit of not materialising these last few years. Bernie had much more of a talent of getting involved with the corrupt individuals that could makes things happen, evidently.

#6 AlanDove46

AlanDove46

• 195 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:13

I'm from Vietnam and let me share some insides. This race was basically organised and funded by a real estate magnate, who, IMO, according to the Civilised World's standard, would be most accurately described as a mafia. Two years of Covid have past and as the GP couldn't be held in a financial viable way, I think this mafia has given up on this.

In fact, there were articles in the local media basically saying that the Vietnam GP was gonna be officially canceled, and this mafia's corporate will pay the Hanoi City government some USD 30-40 mil in order for the Hanoi Government to pay Liberty the breach of contract fine (contract clause for breach of contract fine is 100 mil but Liberty agreed on the reduced sum). Later the mafia had taken these articles down.

PS: there is one link that hasn't been taken down so I post it here for your reference, please forgive me for not being able to translate it however I think Google Translate would be useful:

So 40m for Liberty. Not bad business.

#7 GTR

GTR

• 727 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:19

So 40m for Liberty. Not bad business.

Not bad at all mate. This real estate magnate, being a "mafia" in a country like Vietnam, he earns so much money for taking lands, building villas and condos and buildings and selling them, so he think he can do anything. He opened a smart phone brand, sourcing Android devices from China. Went busted already. He also opened a car brand and wanted the F1 Vietnam GP to support it. Personally I think with this kind of behaviour, the car brand might go busted too:
https://www.reuters....e-idUSKBN2CL0PC

Anyway, sorry for going off topic a bit :p

#8 AlanDove46

AlanDove46

• 195 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:37

Not bad at all mate. This real estate magnate, being a "mafia" in a country like Vietnam, he earns so much money for taking lands, building villas and condos and buildings and selling them, so he think he can do anything. He opened a smart phone brand, sourcing Android devices from China. Went busted already. He also opened a car brand and wanted the F1 Vietnam GP to support it. Personally I think with this kind of behaviour, the car brand might go busted too:
https://www.reuters....e-idUSKBN2CL0PC

Anyway, sorry for going off topic a bit :p

I don't know how this is any different than a country like the UK printing a ton of cash allowing rich to buy assets knowing paying them off in the future will be no issue due to high inflation, while the rest of us suffer. We aint no better here bud :)

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,309 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:38

Having sampled the circuit in F1 2020, I don't think we're missing much.

#10 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,803 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:07

I was intrigued to see what the circuit would bring - I could see some epic racing, albeit probably ruined by DRS. 

Oh well, add it to the list of 'lost circuits'. 

#11 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,309 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 17:30

Funnily enough this just appeared in my subscriptions:

#12 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 19:06

For a moment, I mis-read that as 'Spurious Track Guides'!!

#13 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 19:44

or this link, same article: https://feed24h.net/...m_campaign=zalo

You can always trust Google for clear, concise translation.  

https://youtu.be/W7lbetWc35w

Edited by HeadFirst, 12 June 2021 - 19:44.

#14 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 00:05

i'd think the right time for the Vietnamese Grand Prix race is the next year after the first Vietnamese racing driver has won his/her first F1 Grand Prix. but that's my norm also for China, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Arab countries etc - even for Hungary. of course every country can held non-championship races but for holding a World Championship race you should have some motor sport traditions and achievments.

#15 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 00:11

No.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,309 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 07:52

i'd think the right time for the Vietnamese Grand Prix race is the next year after the first Vietnamese racing driver has won his/her first F1 Grand Prix. but that's my norm also for China, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Arab countries etc - even for Hungary. of course every country can held non-championship races but for holding a World Championship race you should have some motor sport traditions and achievments.

Hungary achieved that in 1906, so they're good.

But that's what I've said for years. A country needs to earn a spot in a world championship. Who is the Vietnamese touring car champion? Who is the Vietnamese F3 champion? Where's the local racing scene to underpin the grand prix, that has the local stars that people will want to see in support races?

I think to earn that championship round you at least need to have a driver, team, or strong local championship that gets international attention. At least in this era of countries lining up for races in an already packed calendar.

#17 Frood

Frood

• 9,246 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:00

Hungary achieved that in 1906, so they're good.

But that's what I've said for years. A country needs to earn a spot in a world championship. Who is the Vietnamese touring car champion? Who is the Vietnamese F3 champion? Where's the local racing scene to underpin the grand prix, that has the local stars that people will want to see in support races?

I think to earn that championship round you at least need to have a driver, team, or strong local championship that gets international attention. At least in this era of countries lining up for races in an already packed calendar.

I had a quick scour of the internet and I think there doesn't seem to be any motorsport in Vietnam apart from some gymkhana events; plus a couple of teenagers have a CIK international kart licence.

Rob Nguyen, he of "only having 9 single seater race starts before appearing in F3000" fame, is of Vietnamese descent. That's about it.