* * * * * 1 votes

2021 French GP build up

• Please log in to reply
868 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 23:37

After the street fighting of marvellous Monaco and barmy Baku, F1 returns to prosaic Paul Ricard for the opening leg of the first 2021 triple-header. The outlook may seem bleak at such a maligned venue, but things are different this year, with the added intrigue of bend-no-more wings and trick-me-not tyres promising to expose the exploiters.

Could we possibly see a hat-trick of Leclerc poles, back-to-back wins for Perez, or will Le Castellet provide Le Conventionnel result with a return to form for malfunctioning Mercedes?

It's a weekend feast of motorsport, and centre stage is Round 7 of the 2021 Formula One World Championship.

France-Opening.png

The Circuit

Circuit.png

The track has been resurfaced and some corners reprofiled, but it's a familiar story.

The Outlook

It has been a very busy opening sextet of races, and Paul Ricard feels like the first natural checkpoint to take stock before the mid-season madness takes hold. Several teams will be introducing upgrades that they hope will put them in good stead as the development focus slowly shifts from 2021 to 2022.

The last two races at this circuit have been nothing more than a proving ground for Mercedes, and they will hope the trend continues as they try to banish the finger trouble and Pirelli puzzle that has plagued them in recent weeks. On paper, it looks good. The track layout, tyre compounds and weather forecast should suit them, but there's one crucial ingredient they cannot control: momentum, which is exactly what Red Bull has, despite their topsy-turvy Baku race. Verstappen's consistent form has earned him a deserved lead in the drivers' championship, and Perez's improving form has earned the team a deserved lead in the constructors'. The losses they are assumed to take from the various technical directives may be offset by the rumour of a Honda "reliability" upgrade. The competitive picture is still far from assured, it's anyone's game at the front.

For all of Ferrari's stunning street-circuit speed, they failed to convert it into big, big points. McLaren is still nipping at their heels as the calendar turns towards more traditional tracks. However, it remains to be seen whether their prodigious pace was circuit-specific, or if they have unlocked genuine pace out of the SF21. A third pole for Leclerc is surely an impossibility, but think back to the solid race pace shown in Barcelona, which should translate well here. Sainz has struggled to fully capitalise on the car's upturn in pace and needs a better weekend.

McLaren will be glad to have escaped Baku without major points damage, but their promising early season form has stalled somewhat. A string of sub-par qualifying performances have left them fighting the wrong battles, but at such an open and forgiving circuit there's ample opportunity to put that right in a few days. Ricciardo's climb to comfortability should be favoured by a track with few slow corners. If he can combine the pace showed at Barcelona with the personal improvements made at Monaco and Baku, he may suddenly become the thorn in Lando's side that we all expect.

Fresh from a terrific podium in Baku, Gasly's stock continues to rise. There will be no better place to cement his status than at his home grand prix. Alpha Tauri has finally woken up and delivered the results we were expecting in pre-season. Tsunoda, too, has recovered from a shaky sequence of races and will be pleased to race on familiar ground. Ocon, fresh from signing a new contract, will be fighting Gasly for French pride as both he and Alpine look to re-establish themselves at the very top of the midfield. Hopefully, we don't see a repeat of their 2018 crash. Alonso has earmarked this race as a natural reset in his season and should be equipped with tweaked power steering to aid his feel in the cockpit. Judging by the Baku restart, he doesn't need it! Watch closely for sparks of Spanish magic.

Aston Martin and Vettel's season has suddenly jolted into life, and they are riding a wave of serious momentum. Has the "Vettel of Old" finally returned? Has Aston resolved their low-rake hiccups? Or was it all a Monaco mirage, an Azerbaijan apparition? There's no place to hide at Paul Ricard, so the answers will be plain to see. Stroll's quietly confident Baku race was loudly interrupted by a big crash. Will he suffer a similar loss of speed like that which troubled him after Mugello last year? Let's hope not, as he too deserves a chunk of the improved AM pace.

A point apiece for Kimi and Giovinazzi in the last two races has lifted Alfa into a clear P8 in the constructors', but they'll likely struggle to ascend any further. Easily the most improved team on the grid and another chance to prove it at an all-rounder circuit. Although, Vasseur was very vocal about the flexi-wing tests, so it's possible it may hurt them more than most. Ilott was due to take FP1, but there's no confirmation yet.

Haas and Williams remain pointless, but crucially have swapped positions in the WCC after Schumacher's plucky run to P13 last time out. Both teams will be relieved to see more conventional territory, with the barriers barely visible. Nissany subs in for Russell in FP1.

Weather, Tyres
(.gif)

Spoiler

Fri - 29c, Sunny

Sat - 31c, Sunny

Sun - 26c, Cloudy, chance of rain

Pirelli-Paul-Ric.jpg

An anxious weekend for Pirelli with a few unknowns thanks to the resurfacing and high temperatures. A return to the most common middle range of compounds. Likely one-stop based on previous years. Pit lane loss moderately high at 23-24s.

Tyre pressures: 21.0 psi front (-2.0 vs 2019) | 19.5 psi rear (-0.5 vs 2019)

Schedule

BST (UK)  |  CEST (Most of Europe)
FP1    1030         1130
FP2    1400         1500
FP3    1100         1200
Q      1400         1500
R      1400         1500

Time zone conversion here.

A very busy sporting weekend, so worth checking other sports and series to work around any clashes. Formula 3 and Clio Cup supporting. Full schedule.

--

Well there's no such thing as a boring grand prix, is there? According to the internet, Paul Gascoigne once said, "I never predict anything, and I never will". A lesson we should all heed before lights out on Sunday.

Who will be King of the Tarmac Jungle?

Gorilla.jpg

Edited by TomNokoe, 17 June 2021 - 10:53.

Advertisement

#2 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 23:44

Brilliant intro! Never have I been so excited about a race that usually proves to be ..... is it unfair to call it boring? Lots to consider this weekend, but will there be any racing?

Edited by HeadFirst, 16 June 2021 - 23:46.

#3 FLB

FLB

• 29,672 posts

Posted 16 June 2021 - 23:56

Brilliant intro! Never have I been so excited about a race that usually proves to be ..... is it unfair to call it boring? Lots to consider this weekend, but will there be any racing?

The problem is that they took most of the character out when they turned it into the HTT (test track). The French Grand-Prix at Paul-Ricard used to mean the beginning of summer; now, it's just cold and bland.

The 2019 French Grand-Prix was the first time I was bored watching F1. It felt like a chore. Tedious.

Edited by FLB, 16 June 2021 - 23:59.

#4 Reddington

Reddington

• 953 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:12

Not having high hopes for it. A circuit that has so many layout possibilities, but the track they choose for the F1 venue has proven to be very boring up to now unfortunately.

Eager to see the Pirelli saga unfold. Merc should be good here, but with pressures likely going to be higher, and Merc having trouble getting front tires to work, that measure might actually hurt them most…?

I don’t think the wing saga is anything to get excited about. The benefits where always over stated in my opinion and RBR had identical flex to Merc in Baku since they already had a different wing there. If they get their tyre wear sorted due to understanding the car and set up better, it might be interesting, although I expect Merc to still be the benchmark here.

Edited by Reddington, 17 June 2021 - 03:13.

#5 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:39

France couldnt come soon enough .... hopefully the W12 is something like the W10 at this track.

#6 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,711 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:17

The layout isn't a problem, as those of us old enough to remember the mid 80s and before will know....the problem is the current cars and the large run-off areas now present at Ricard. The latter seems to damage the racing there. I do wish they'd get rid of the chicane on the Mistral straight but even that isn't a big issue for racing. 

#7 Reddington

Reddington

• 953 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:44

The layout isn't a problem, as those of us old enough to remember the mid 80s and before will know....the problem is the current cars and the large run-off areas now present at Ricard. The latter seems to damage the racing there. I do wish they'd get rid of the chicane on the Mistral straight but even that isn't a big issue for racing. 

I agree to a certain extent, however, even with the current cars we do have tracks that provide good racing and the highlighted parts are most definitely track related, aren't they?

#8 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:13

Unless it rains, it will be a Bland Grand Prix. 

#9 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,793 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:24

I'd love to see the full Mistral again, but the circuit said it won't get rid of the chicane as it needs it for seats to sell to fans (nobody wants to sit on a straight).

But given it can't have capacity attendance this year, surely they could have scrapped it for this race only? It would have been fun to see, even just once.

#10 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,473 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:48

I don't have high hopes (I really wish they removed either the turn 1+2 chicane or the back straight chicane).but I think Max will push Lewis hard for the win, even if Mercedes are heavy favourites.

They've made the tarmac a lot smoother for this year, so I'm expected a fairly comfortable one stop for everyone. I guess the question is whether that's good for Red Bull over one lap (they are good at heating tyres for qualifying) or bad news on Sunday (they struggle to keep the tyre in the window).

For the sake of an interesting race, I just want to see Sergio within 3-4 seconds of Lewis come the pit stop opening.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:00

If Lewis and Max are close, or if Perez, Leclerc and Bottas show up, it could be a cracker.

Failing that, it's an opportunity to do some work in the garden between MotoGP and Indycar. Can't lose!

#12 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:01

I don't quite get why some think it'll be a Mercedes parade here. Red Bull have literally not been off the pace anywhere. Not at all. While Mercedes have been erratic since Round 1.

If Mercedes though are back on form, I still expect Verstappen to be right with them. I don't see any reason why Max can't be on pole and win the race... and a pole/win double is something he's yet to do in 2021. Perfect way to make a statement.

#13 ANF

ANF

• 29,327 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:03

Another onboard lap:

#14 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,846 posts

I have birthday plans Saturday therefore cue social media blackout time (1st time I said that in a while) for the pole man Sunday I get a race to watch

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

On a different note, I'm always interested about what object or animal the track layout resembles. Best I can do for Paul Ricard is a particularly knotty shillelagh.

576px-Assorted_shillelagh.JPG

#16 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,544 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:07

I don't quite get why some think it'll be a Mercedes parade here. Red Bull have literally not been off the pace anywhere. Not at all. While Mercedes have been erratic since Round 1.

If Mercedes though are back on form, I still expect Verstappen to be right with them. I don't see any reason why Max can't be on pole and win the race... and a pole/win double is something he's yet to do in 2021. Perfect way to make a statement.

I think we'll get something similar to Barcelona and Portugal. Red Bull will challenge in qualifying (they've challenged everywhere so far) but Mercedes will probably be stronger in the race. Perez could really show his use again here.

I expect Hamilton to win though, his two victories around here so far have been dominant and he'll be keen to make up from Monaco and Baku.

Edited by Ali623, 17 June 2021 - 09:09.

#17 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:09

If MV wins here, you may as well just hand him the title ... This is the ultimate Merc track. 

#18 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:12

If MV wins here, you may as well just hand him the title ... This is the ultimate Merc track.

Don't be so dramatic. Verstappen is a threat everywhere. Red Bull have a strong car.

#19 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:13

What are the characteristics of a Mercedes track?

Advertisement

#20 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:24

Don't be so dramatic. Verstappen is a threat everywhere. Red Bull have a strong car.

No. They are strong some places and at others not so much - the same as Merc. MV not finishing less than second is down to the #2 drivers not being strong. And some of those seconds are comfortable wins for Merc - I put Barc in that category. 

Lewis has won 50% of the races so far. Should have won Imola too. 

Merc is the stronger car so far and at a place like Ricard, the operation side of Merc should be able to demonstrate that. .... if they lose fair and square, ie not down to mistakes, and they insist on not developing the car for the rest of the season, then the season is over as the balance of power would have clearly shifted and MV is too good of a driver not to take advantage. 

#21 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:27

Tilkedromes and similarly souless places .... they do paint by the numbers. They build the car for the most common type of track and suck it up everywhere else - or if dominant, they still manage to win on tracks they didnt build the car for. 

#22 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,711 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:30

I agree to a certain extent, however, even with the current cars we do have tracks that provide good racing and the highlighted parts are most definitely track related, aren't they?

Track related yes, but not an issue with the layout. That particular track is capable of delivering excellent racing. As Stirling Moss used to say....take two identical corners taken at 120mph but one is lined with rocks on one side and a cliff drop on the other.....and one has run-off. They're not going to be driven in identical ways even though the layout is the same.

Pedantic perhaps but it's not the layout that is the issue. They're effectively racing the same track (plus a chicane) that held excellent races in the 70s and early 80s. 

#23 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:33

That's an interesting take given, had he actually performed, Verstappen would have been on pole at Imola. Yet despite that, he won the race anyway.

#24 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:37

I think Merc have only been erratic at Monaco and Baku, two street tracks.  Everywhere else they've been fine IMO.  Especially given how little they have done in terms of bringing upgrades, the way the year has unfolded suggests to me that it just took them a couple of races to really understand their car and since then they've been on point.  Even at the last two races, at least one of the cars has shown pace and the biggest cause of their issues in both cases was generating the right amount of heat in their tyres for one of the drivers.  And the fact they don't put too much heat into their tyres has actually been one of their strengths at other tracks, so it doesn't necessarily mean they are in trouble moving forward. Where Merc has shown some difficulty in one lap pace vs race pace (although not everywhere), RB has shown the opposite and they tend to be stronger in one lap pace vs race pace, with both basically boiling down to how they treat their tyres

Agree with you that RB's pace has looked good.  Ultimately though I feel there is still a question regarding their tyre management and it remains to be seen whether they have managed to get a handle on that at more traditional tracks.  I suspect that's why some are being cautious. It all depends I guess on whether you feel that Monaco and Baku are outliers or whether you feel they show a more permanent shift in the balance of performance between the two teams.

#25 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,635 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:51

Paul Ricard has been described by teams as yet another outlier track. Ultra smooth tarmac. So what exactly is the typical F1 circuit!! What is it that we are expecting to be the track that finally shows the order. I don’t think there’s going to be one. 7 races in, and teams are still calling the circuits unusual. Austria at high altitude next. Yet another peculiar and infrequent parameter. No F1 circuit is like another. I’d say we simply have to take the first 8 weekends at face value on a mixed bag of circuits. RB have been there more often than Merc imo. RB never struggle for tire temperature. That bodes well for them in the next 7 races.

Edited by ARTGP, 17 June 2021 - 09:56.

#26 yolo

yolo

• 3,659 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:58

No. They are strong some places and at others not so much - the same as Merc. MV not finishing less than second is down to the #2 drivers not being strong. And some of those seconds are comfortable wins for Merc - I put Barc in that category. 

Merc is the stronger car so far and at a place like Ricard, the operation side of Merc should be able to demonstrate that. .... if they lose fair and square, ie not down to mistakes, and they insist on not developing the car for the rest of the season, then the season is over as the balance of power would have clearly shifted and MV is too good of a driver not to take advantage. 

Not sure how you can say this with a straight face given the pecking order in the past 2 GPs. There is absolutely 0 guarantee that France is a 'Merc' track. Even Barcelona the 'Merc' track saw Red Bull qualify 0.05s behind.

#27 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:04

Not sure how you can say this with a straight face given the pecking order in the past 2 GPs. There is absolutely 0 guarantee that France is a 'Merc' track. Even Barcelona the 'Merc' track saw Red Bull qualify 0.05s behind.

Agree with you on the lack of guarantees.  But there's a case to be made for either car being strongest to be fair.  Depends how many variables people are willing to consider at the end of the day.

#28 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:07

So what exactly is the typical F1 circuit!! What is it that we are expecting to be the track that finally shows the order. I don’t think there’s going to be one. 7 races in, and teams are still calling the circuits unusual. No F1 circuit is like another.

Well said. Like in the lead up to Baku, all I was hearing was how it's a "McLaren track" in their battle with Ferrari.

That was a good one.

#29 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,086 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:15

Well considering Portimao was an easy win and Barcelona would’ve been had Max not jumped Lewis at the start. Merc having a better topspeed on the straight, I don’t think it’s weird to assume they will have the upper hand in France.

#30 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:29

Any track where Bottas finishes ahead of Verstappen.

#31 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,857 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:29

Another onboard lap:

https://www.youtube....h?v=jYo9-09UwNM

Intriguing. This is exactly the training track I’ve been practicing on in Asetto Corsa…including the line of cones in the fast left hander that you can only take flat out if you really use the kerbs of the previous corner. However… is the GP track the same? In the diagram above the corner after the mistral seems different…

#32 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 1,794 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:34

Depends if the new flexi rear wing and tyre pressure monitoring affects them. I’m guessing they might be fighting Williams.

#33 vas04614

vas04614

• 637 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:05

Anyone knows the list of teams changing their rear wing for new load tests that are set to be done from france onwards?

#34 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:06

We don't know. It's been hard to spot a pattern.

My best guess is Mercedes have been better on tracks with looooong corners where the car is under load for a long time (Barcelona, Portimão), whereas Red Bull have been better in tracks with point-and-shoot corners (Bahrain, Imola, Baku). Ricard does have some fairly long corners so I'd say advantage Mercedes.

Or it's all about tyre compounds, which I don't pay attention to. Or anything really. Or it's just random.

#35 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:13

Ricard's a mixture of both, right? The fast Signes curve and then the rest of sector 3 have some long corners but there are a lot of chicanes and dead stops in the rest of the layout.

Incidentally when I was watching the Youtube video in Tom's OP I thought the track looks better from onboards than trackside. Anyone else agree? Again it's still Ricard so it's flat and unambitious, and IMHO the reason it hasn't come in for more paddock and media criticism over the years is that everyone loves visiting the south of France. But then again if I was going I'd no doubt feel the same way.

#36 ANF

ANF

• 29,327 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:14

Intriguing. This is exactly the training track I’ve been practicing on in Asetto Corsa…including the line of cones in the fast left hander that you can only take flat out if you really use the kerbs of the previous corner. However… is the GP track the same? In the diagram above the corner after the mistral seems different…

Yes, it's the same GP track. Except for that line of cones!

#37 Gambelli

Gambelli

• 2,672 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:14

My best guess is Mercedes have been better on tracks with looooong corners where the car is under load for a long time (Barcelona, Portimão), whereas Red Bull have been better in tracks with point-and-shoot corners (Bahrain, Imola, Baku). Ricard does have some fairly long corners so I'd say advantage Mercedes.

Or it's all about tyre compounds, which I don't pay attention to. Or anything really. Or it's just random.

It's definitely something written above or something else, thats for sure, but I only know that from all my years of watching F1....

#38 dissident

dissident

• 1,618 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:35

Front limited tracks with long corners + harder tyres seem to be their strong point, but alas...

#39 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 7,857 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:43

Yes, it's the same GP track. Except for that line of cones!

Perhaps the FIA can put it there for the F1 cars as well? (Wink to Mazepin)

Edited by Nemo1965, 17 June 2021 - 11:54.

Advertisement

#40 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,793 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:53

Ricard's a mixture of both, right? The fast Signes curve and then the rest of sector 3 have some long corners but there are a lot of chicanes and dead stops in the rest of the layout.

Incidentally when I was watching the Youtube video in Tom's OP I thought the track looks better from onboards than trackside. Anyone else agree? Again it's still Ricard so it's flat and unambitious, and IMHO the reason it hasn't come in for more paddock and media criticism over the years is that everyone loves visiting the south of France. But then again if I was going I'd no doubt feel the same way.

It's still a better layout than Abu Dhabi. 

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:58

Well yeah, it's hard to think of any (permanent, purpose-built) circuit that's as unlovely as Abu Dhabi.

#42 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:04

Here’s your track limit guide to get angry/exasperated/bored over:

22) Track Limits
22.1 Turns 1 and 2
a) Any driver who fails to negotiate Turn 2 by using the track, and who passes completely to the right of the first fluorescent yellow bollard on the apex of the corner, must keep completely to the right of the fluorescent yellow bollard and re-join the track by driving through the two arrays of blocks in the run off by passing to the right of the first and to the left of the second. See Image 1.
22.2 Turns 3-5
a) Any driver who fails to negotiate Turn 4 by using the track, and who passes completely to the left of the fluorescent yellow bollard on the apex of the corner, must keep completely to the left of the fluorescent yellow bollard and re-join the track by driving to the left of the block in the run off prior to Turn 5. See Images 2 and 3
22.3 Turns 8 and 9
a) Any driver going straight on at turn 8 must re-join the track by driving through the four arrays of blocks in the escape road, to the left of the first, to the right of the second, to the left of the third and to the right of the fourth.
22.4 General - Turns 1-2, Turns 3-5, Turns 8-9
a) Each time any car fails to negotiate Turns 1-2 or Turns 3-5 and/or Turns 8-9 by using the track as described above, teams will be informed via the official messaging system.
b) On the third occasion of a driver failing to negotiate Turns 1-2 or Turns 3-5 and/or Turns 8-9 by using the track during the race, he will be shown a black and white flag, any further cutting will then be reported to the stewards.
c) In all cases detailed above, the driver must only re-join the track when it is safe to do so and without gaining a lasting advantage.
d) The above requirements will not automatically apply to any driver who is judged to have been forced off the track, each such case will be judged individually.

#43 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:13

The fashion goat has arrived:

https://twitter.com/...476477374767104

I bet Pirelli is jealous.

Edited by Jovanotti, 17 June 2021 - 12:14.

#44 ANF

ANF

• 29,327 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:15

What about track limits at Signes?

#45 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,635 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:22

Any track where Bottas finishes ahead of Verstappen.

Feeling very blunt today are we?  :lol:

I'd say Barcelona was still leaning towards Mercedes. But I agree with you that if Bottas is comfortably ahead of Max, then it's comfortably a Mercedes track. I don't think there will any of those this season though. 

Edited by ARTGP, 17 June 2021 - 12:23.

#46 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,259 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:28

Anyone knows the list of teams changing their rear wing for new load tests that are set to be done from france onwards?

Probably most of the grid

#47 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,536 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:45

Thanks Tom!!  Another great run-up!!   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

#48 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:55

I don't know, but from reading/watching various things, it seems like it was Red Bull, Ferrari, Alpine and Alfa Romeo who were getting the most out of the flexi wings, and Red Bull, Aston Martin and an unknown third team (I am going to guess Ferrari because of their strong quali pace) who have been allegedly playing with the pressures.

#49 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,618 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 13:00

I don't know, but from reading/watching various things, it seems like it was Red Bull, Ferrari, Alpine and Alfa Romeo who were getting the most out of the flexi wings, and Red Bull, Aston Martin and an unknown third team (I am going to guess Ferrari because of their strong quali pace) who have been allegedly playing with the pressures.

You're kind of ignoring Hamiltons/Mercedes' cut tyre...

#50 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 13:36

You're kind of ignoring Hamiltons/Mercedes' cut tyre...

Wasn't this a misnomer? The failures were not caused because of cuts, so it's not relevant. Plus, Mercedes has been one of the most vocal teams about this issue, which makes no sense if they too are exploiting the tyres. It has always seemed like they have struggled disproportionately when the pressures go up, which indicates that 1. they don't know how to circumvent it and 2. it would be very silly to risk a failure by running trick pressures which may then incur higher pressures for the rest of the year.

It could easily be Alpine because of the Ocon/Racing Point link or Alpha Tauri because of Red Bull link, I am just speculating, but I don't think it is Mercedes.

Edited by TomNokoe, 17 June 2021 - 13:36.