Photo

Minardi 2004

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 13:47

Brothers and I went to the Belgian Grand Prix 2004, after the race having dinner at the Cafe Moderne in Spa 'the Minardi mechanics walked in', they were kind enough that I could have my photograph taken with them... the other day I started thinking

Have I been living a lie? Were they actually the Minardi mechanics, or just Minardi fans?

Anyone here who can identify at least one of these gentlemen as a Minardi mechanic?

Spa-F1.png

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 14:01

Minardi FANS? You serious? :D

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,756 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 14:03

Minardi had a British fan club in the 1980s...

#4 opplock

opplock

• 944 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 15:29

One of the most experienced marshals at Brands Hatch was a Minardi fan throughout the team's existence. Supporting underdogs is a national trait especially for followers of another sport in which England have failed to win a tournament for 55 years. Anyone reading this thread after 2021 will need to do some mental arithmetic.  

#5 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 15:53

Minardi FANS? You serious? :D

I was certainly one, look at my beaming face there!!! Now just not sure was suckered in to a fan club, or actually amongst true blooded mechanics?

#6 Myhinpaa

Myhinpaa

• 514 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 16:47

https://www.expatica...n-humor-108220/

#7 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 19:41

Ve Germans laf zree times for evry joke ve hear: ze first time ven it is told, ze second time ven it is explained, and ze zird time ven ve understand it!  HAWHAWHAHWHAW... :drunk:

#8 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,878 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 20:02

Hmmmm, sure about 2004. My recollection say 2007.

It also part of the story, that the reason we met the MInardi gentlemen was because we had to stay at the bar/restaurant for a long time before the impounding site opened. Since the car had been towed for our (red: mine) illegal parking.

[edit]

My recollection must be wrong considering the demise of Minardi.

[/edit]

#9 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 20:12

Hmmmm, sure about 2004. My recollection say 2007.

It also part of the story, that the reason we met the MInardi gentlemen was because we had to stay at the bar/restaurant for a long time before the impounding site opened. Since the car had been towed for our (red: mine) illegal parking.

I would say 97.11% on it being 2004, pretty sure Mama and Inge were together over that weekend, and the colors looks right - 2007 we very specifically did NOT park where the 'free spot' were, we parked at someones lawn which we paid good money for... or was that then a 3rd time?

looking at pictures my 'mechanics' colorwise are closer to 2004 livery than 2007... incidentally YOU were the one pointing them out when they entered say 'look the Minardi mechanics'... I then became the giddy schoolgirl wanting my picture taken. Maybe they were fans not being quite sure of why that Dane wanted to have his picture taken with them.

If 2004 we most assuredly had a streamer in the back rear window!!

Edited by KWSN - DSM, 17 June 2021 - 20:15.

#10 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,640 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 21:57

Happy fraternal memories you two!

I had a soft spot for Minardi too as did, I assume, some of the staff at Autosport.  In 1999 the magazine ran a competition offering two free grandstand tickets for that year's British GP to the reader who gave the best reason why he, or she, should have them.

'Because this year's Silverstone race is going to see Minardi's first Grand Prix 1-2, and I want to be there when it happens'.

J. Winfield, Nottinghamshire.

Ten days later two tickets arrived in the post!  Thank you Autosport, thank you Minardi.  :up:

Edited by john winfield, 17 June 2021 - 21:59.

#11 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 22:12

I had a soft spot for Minardi too as did, I assume, some of the staff at Autosport.  In 1999 the magazine ran a competition offering two free grandstand tickets for that year's British GP to the reader who gave the best reason why he, or she, should have them.

'Because this year's Silverstone race is going to see Minardi's first Grand Prix 1-2, and I want to be there when it happens'.

J. Winfield, Nottinghamshire.

Ten days later two tickets arrived in the post!  Thank you Autosport, thank you Minardi.  :up:

Love it!

#12 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:42

Of course, I always had a soft spot for Minardi, too, lest you get the false impression. But the mental image I was trying to fight off was of huge masses of tifosi, clad in Minardi team gear, waving huge flags and chanting Forza Minardi and Viva Giancarlo to drown out all engine sounds... made me snicker! :D

#13 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:47

Of course, I always had a soft spot for Minardi, too, lest you get the false impression. But the mental image I was trying to fight off was of huge masses of tifosi, clad in Minardi team gear, waving huge flags and chanting Forza Minardi and Viva Giancarlo to drown out all engine sounds... made me snicker! :D

Contrary to what some seems to think, I got that right away. I will venture that Minardi had a lot more fans than most small teams, that the F1 fandom embraced them regardless of where on the grid they were.

#14 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:05

the one time I attended a grand prix, Silverstone 04, was just after one of the Minardi mechanics had died of a heart attack....the team replaced a sponsor's name with "John Boy" for free practise as a mark of respect. The sponsor wasn't happy.....but there was a considerable number of crowd members with bought Minardi flags and home made "John Boy" flags on Saturday. 

I had a soft spot for them....rather like Hispania in later years...always on a shoestring budget but always turned out decently presented cars for the races, always did their best. Probably more "cuore sportivo" in the Minardi team than there was at Ferrari, McLaren and Renault combined in those days. 

#15 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,343 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:08

IProbably more "cuore sportivo" in the Minardi team than there was at Ferrari, McLaren and Renault combined in those days.

And these days too in my experience...

#16 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,033 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:15

the one time I attended a grand prix, Silverstone 04, was just after one of the Minardi mechanics had died of a heart attack....the team replaced a sponsor's name with "John Boy" for free practise as a mark of respect. The sponsor wasn't happy.....but there was a considerable number of crowd members with bought Minardi flags and home made "John Boy" flags on Saturday...

John Walton, who was their Sporting Director. He was the partner of TV reporter Louise Goodman at the time.

#17 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,709 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 13:35

John Walton, who was their Sporting Director. He was the partner of TV reporter Louise Goodman at the time.

Thank you for the correction. I forget the name of the sponsor who was unhappy with their logo being replaced by "John Boy" for a practise session....which may be no bad thing! Always a team with a heart. 

#18 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 13:46

Ayrton Senna's former mechanic at Toleman as well.

#19 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 649 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 16:14

Two of them do wear what seems like a paddock pass lanyard, so I can absolutely imagine that they are real mechanics. 

Advertisement

#20 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 16:53

Two of them do wear what seems like a paddock pass lanyard, so I can absolutely imagine that they are real mechanics. 

Great!!

Someone here surely must be able to confirm in the positive?

Or will TNF break my illusions of what is possible here?

#21 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,878 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 18:42

On this day in Austria 2015 according to Facebook

baP0c9Vl.jpg

#22 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 18:57

On this day in Austria 2015 according to Facebook

Good looking even then... now I have to find the one where we were anything but good looking.... 6 years already?

#23 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 19:05

Here we go Monza 2006, less becoming.

Monza2006.jpg