• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 Fademan

Fademan

• 342 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 01:03

Hi guys,

Local breaking news...

Victoria’s Formula One and MotoGP events are both set to be scrapped this year.

The state government is expected to announce on Tuesday afternoon that both major events will be suspended, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

With strict international travel and quarantine conditions in place, the logistics of bringing international teams to Melbourne for both high-octane events slammed the brakes on the tourist drawcards.

Grand Prix chiefs submitted a safety plan to the government but it is believed the difficulty of foreign drivers touching down and their reluctance to enter a hard two-week quarantine was a factor in the decision to axe both events.

Advertisement

#2 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,418 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 01:50

This isn’t surprising. I was wondering why they were in such a rush to do up Albert park. We weren’t racing anytime soon. .

Edited by ARTGP, 06 July 2021 - 01:50.

#3 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,948 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 01:50

Wonder when it will return? Shame cos it is by all accounts probably the best event F1 holds for spectators by all accounts. Also wonder what this will mean for them track renovations.

#4 Brawn BGP 001

Brawn BGP 001

• 5,948 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 01:51

Also please don’t do a double header as a replacement wonder if China may come in to replace ?

#5 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,952 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:02

Australia hasn't had a covid death since October, but I guess that's because they are so careful

Funny to see this though when the UK has had almost 150,000 cases in the last week and we're going to Silverstone fine

#6 Fademan

Fademan

• 342 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:09

Quite silly... Parts of Australia are in lockdown again, and the take-up rate of the vaccine is quite low .. Something like 10% of the population is vaccinated.

Will need to be a double header somewhere else, and depending on the track it will become important if the championship race is close!

#7 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:19

Gutted. Thanks to Scomo for stuffing the vaccine rollout here. Surely they could have done a bubble and frequent covid tests and no crowds. Have their been any or many covid cases from this method in the F1 bubbles this season?? Was looking forward to see how the new changes to the track worked too.

Edited by gowebber, 06 July 2021 - 02:21.

#8 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,418 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:22

Gutted. Thanks to Scomo for stuffing the vaccine rollout here. Surely they could have done a bubble and frequent covid tests and no crowds. Have their been any or many covid cases from this method in the F1 bubbles this season?? Was looking forward to see how the new changes to the track worked too.

But I don’t think the organizers could afford no crowds. They already got shafted with little income from last years race. There was a public expense document put out that suggest they basically need to run with crowds to pay for the race.

#9 loki

loki

• 12,106 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:48

Wonder when it will return? Shame cos it is by all accounts probably the best event F1 holds for spectators by all accounts. Also wonder what this will mean for them track renovations.

Probably not for a year or better.  The gov announced a couple months ago it wouldn't be until mid 2022.

https://www.reuters....022-2021-05-16/

#10 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,565 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 03:18

Quite silly... Parts of Australia are in lockdown again, and the take-up rate of the vaccine is quite low .. Something like 10% of the population is vaccinated.

Will need to be a double header somewhere else, and depending on the track it will become important if the championship race is close!

Vaccine take up is only that low because of supply issues. Well, supply of Pfizer anyway - bad PR over blood clots and the recommendation for only over 60s has torpedoed the wider use of AZ here.

Also to add, the Fed Govt has only just reduced the numbers of international arrivals, and the VIC state government was one of the main proponents of that move as well- so the optics of allowing F1 to come in while AUS citizens are restricted isn't great. Although I guess the issue around the length of quarantine for the teams was the main issue.

Edited by krapmeister, 06 July 2021 - 03:23.

#11 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,565 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 03:24

This isn’t surprising. I was wondering why they were in such a rush to do up Albert park. We weren’t racing anytime soon. .

Not a bad time to do it anyway, while a lot of people are still WFH ..

#12 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 03:39

But I don’t think the organizers could afford no crowds. They already got shafted with little income from last years race. There was a public expense document put out that suggest they basically need to run with crowds to pay for the race.

Yeah true. Man so disappointing two years in a row. Again we are way behind in the vaccine rollout. Thanks Scomo.  ):

#13 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 03:46

I am probably more bummed out about missing MotoGP at Phillip Island than the F1 race.

#14 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 04:22

We'll be lucky to be ready by the middle of next year I reckon. Either the government will find some way to further stuff up the vaccination roll out, or too many kooks will refuse to take the vaccine and then the government will be left with the unenviable task of deciding what a reasonable path forward is.

Edited by BCM, 06 July 2021 - 04:22.

#15 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,816 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 04:52

Tell the Aussies to get jabs in arms as this is the 3rd change of f1 venue this year and I going to guess the replacement as the Sakhai grand prix going by the distance of Bahrain and Saudi Arabia

Edited by sportyskells, 06 July 2021 - 05:06.

#16 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:16

now official https://www.premier....and-prix-motogp

#17 Flasheart

Flasheart

• 1,124 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:38

Unless it was a double header to justify quarantine, this was never going ahead.
When our illustrious PM proclaimed, “Its not a race”, maybe he wasn’t talking about the vaccine rollout after all...🙄🤦🏻‍♂️

#18 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:51

So 23 races is still the plan apparently. Which track steps in to take over? Also still a cloud over Brazil too. Gutted for particularly all the Aussie fans.

https://www.gpblog.c...tralian-gp.html

Edited by gowebber, 06 July 2021 - 07:35.

#19 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,459 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:10

ARTGP right. gowebber wrong.

Advertisement

#20 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,281 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:18

So 23 races is still the plan apparently, which track steps in to take over. Also still a cloud over Brazil too. Gutted for particularly all the Aussie fans.

https://www.gpblog.c...tralian-gp.html

quite certain that they add Sakhir. There is now a 4 weeks space after all.

But yeah, Brazil, Mexico and Japan are still not certain, so could see more movements

Edited by Marklar, 06 July 2021 - 07:27.

#21 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,450 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:21

NO reason to go ahead when the cases are spiking, and some cities are in lockdown now.

#22 aray

aray

• 5,796 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 06:40

Auzzies are bit fussy I guess. They are managing covid better than Europe and letting some races happen wouldn't make things worse. Those guys in the show are at much risk and monitored continuously.So,it was not that much of a risk.

#23 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,726 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 07:24

I don’t think we’ll ever return to Australia. They’ve gone for zero Covid, which is impossible (as shown by it penetrating even the most draconian of hotel quarantine policies). That, alongside the appalling vaccine rollout and seemingly high hesitancy in the country, when is it expected borders will reopen? 2022, 2025, ever?

They’re in a perpetual lockdown funk, and I’m not sure the government is fussed about that ending.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 06 July 2021 - 07:25.

#24 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,766 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 07:37

Let's do the Sakhir outer track again :D

#25 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,617 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 07:42

Would love to see Malaysia back on the calendar, it's in the region so why not?

#26 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,170 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 07:43

Late November is months away. It was much too early to call it off now. But that's Australia's policy on covid, so fair enough.

#27 masa90

masa90

• 2,031 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 07:53

I just wish they would take a break instead of just adding more and more races in place of these cancellations. There is already too many races. Would not want to see any second races on the same track anymore. It just feels like a rerun really.

#28 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,762 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:11

I just wish they would take a break instead of just adding more and more races in place of these cancellations. There is already too many races. Would not want to see any second races on the same track anymore. It just feels like a rerun really.

Whilst I agree, F1 needs to claw back the money lost last year, hence the desperation for 23 races.

#29 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,450 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:20

Would love to see Malaysia back on the calendar, it's in the region so why not?

I don't think the vaccine rollout there has been a huge success.

At the moment, I'm expecting Brazil and possibly Suzuka to be cancelled. At most, I expect only one of those will actually get replaced, and likely with Sakhir.

#30 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:26

No surprise I guess. Outside of Europe and the US the pandemic is progressing quite differently, for better and worse.

Silverstone in November, Walter Hayes Trophy style? No?

#31 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 08:37

Perpetual lockdowns, dead vaccine rollout, skyhigh hesitance - all 3 worst options converged into something I can't understand at all. Zero covid is impossible and Australia just seems stuck in this fugue defeated purgatory. The government sucks yes but the collective seems lost as well, I donno what to say.

I really miss Phillip Island man.

As for the rest of the calendar, I think Mexico is actually looking likely going by FE at Puebla as an example. The Olympics is giving me hope for Suzuka / Motegi, but Interlagos is the one I think won't make it unfortunately.

#32 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 09:08

No surprise I guess. Outside of Europe and the US the pandemic is progressing quite differently, for better and worse.

Silverstone in November, Walter Hayes Trophy style? No?

Only if they make the teams run FF1600 - might then get a decent race.

#33 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 09:08

The hesitancy is largely about the AZ because at one point it was everyone can take it, oh no now only those above 50 can take it, oops we meant above 60, oh hang on it's ok if you decide to take it and you're under 60 but we're giving GPs a get out of jail waiver just in case you die.

As soon as the stocks of Pfizer rise which is due Septemberish the vaccination rate will speed up. The government stuck all their eggs in the AZ basket and then got caught out.

#34 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 09:39

The Olympics is giving me hope for Suzuka / Motegi

Now that would be interesting!

#35 Calum

Calum

• 1,130 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 09:45

Hopefully we can get Mugello or Bahrain (short) as a replacement.

Disappointing that there’s no Australia race though.

#36 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 09:49

I wonder if the Australian GP will come back at all.

Edited by cpbell, 06 July 2021 - 09:56.

#37 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,045 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 09:53

Me too and while we’re at it ... speed dial the Captain again.
A snowy IMS would be hysterical!!!!
Jp

#38 Scotracer

Scotracer
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,766 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 09:55

Now that would be interesting!

No it wouldn't. Motegi is an awful track.

#39 pdac

pdac

• 17,122 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 10:14

Only if they make the teams run FF1600 - might then get a decent race.

F1 ... decent race ... ?????

Advertisement

#40 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 10:28

If we have to have a replacement, the Bahrain outer loop is roaring to go again.

Maybe Mercedes can stick George in the car to make up for last year!

#41 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,856 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 13:26

How slow are they to vaccine? In Finland, basically everyone over 30 is vaccinated twice by September. And when that's done, it's useless to pay attention to new cases since for full vaccinated person covid is supposed to be as harmless as a blister on your foot.

I just hope F1 doesn't do double Saudi Arabia or triple Abu Dhabi round. Everything is better than that. Mugello, Jerez, Vallelunga, Misano...and given the global warming, it's not impossible to have 20°C temperatures in November, so Hockenheim or Magny Cours could host races late in the year.

#42 engineblock1

engineblock1

• 1,060 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 13:46

How slow are they to vaccine? In Finland, basically everyone over 30 is vaccinated twice by September. And when that's done, it's useless to pay attention to new cases since for full vaccinated person covid is supposed to be as harmless as a blister on your foot.

I just hope F1 doesn't do double Saudi Arabia or triple Abu Dhabi round. Everything is better than that. Mugello, Jerez, Vallelunga, Misano...and given the global warming, it's not impossible to have 20°C temperatures in November, so Hockenheim or Magny Cours could host races late in the year.

Not that circuit please.

#43 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 14:08

Ridiculous decision

Wasn't Australia doing tennis matches will stadiums full since months ago?

They've had one of the lowest pandemic numbers on earth and with safety measures there's no reason for cancelling it

#44 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,816 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 14:46

I think it's due to the 14 day wait rule that forced the double change of plans, I guessing we get a Bahrain 2 due to the fact it close by saudi

#45 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 725 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 14:55

Seems like Aussie vaccination rates are too low to allow public gatherings of any size with the highly-contagious Delta variant being blamed for new COVID cases there. Hopefully they get their vaccination program sorted out for a 2022 return.  :up:  Similar to Canada, it's a bummer to miss out on seeing what is usually an interesting and fun weekend of racing on a unique track.

#46 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 14:56

I find it really boring in games. But I wonder how F1 would look there, especially are there are no tarmac runoffs (unless they've done that there as well lately?)

#47 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 15:09

Ridiculous decision
They've had one of the lowest pandemic numbers on earth and with safety measures there's no reason for cancelling it

The Australian Open required the players and a limited entourage to enter a semi-quarantine for two weeks, raised to a strict isolation for a large number of people caught as possible contacts of positive tests. This was not popular, to say the least, and rather expensive for all involved.

#48 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 15:09

I can't hear you over the sound of the 2017 MotoGP Japanese Grand Prix.

#49 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,129 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 19:04

Not delta

#50 djparky

djparky

• 1,992 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 19:19

Ridiculous decision

They had either no spectators or very limited numbers and players had to do the 14 days and ongoing isolation. It was not popular and blamed for a number of player injuries