Photo

Silverstone Classic 2021

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:59

Starts today. And there's a Youtube stream this year.

timetable: https://www.silverst...ic/track-action

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:04

I shall certainly be watching from Nairobi.

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 19:44

Well, I really enjoyed that, despite the wet.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 19:14

Such bad luck with the weather...Silverstone broils in bright sun, but can certainly be dispiritingly miserable in unrelenting rain .  Unfortunate.

DCN

#5 Andrew Stevens

Andrew Stevens

• 118 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 15:37

I attended yesterday (Saturday as I write this) and while there were lots of cars and lots of activities about, I can't help feel that the event misses out in terms of character and atmosphere that no amount of Club displays, fun fairs, concerts etc etc makes up for. The organisers certainly try hard with the additional displays and I am sure the competitors enjoy driving the GP circuit, but something (for me) just doesn't 'click' with the event. Certainly the split between the National pits and the Wing does not help. Maybe it would be better if everything was concentrated back at the National pits again and the event focussed a little less on 'quantity' and more on 'quality' of competitors?  Maybe the atmosphere issue is an aspect of Silverstone that's impossible to get around?  

It's certainly a pain to have to walk long distances to get around barriers and fences, along with the wait for overcrowded shuttle buses - despite how many they have, it never seems to be enough! 

Kudos to the organisers for the efforts they made. Plenty of catering, plenty of toilets, covered grand stands being open etc etc, but I can't help but feel that it needs a different approach. 

Just my opinion!

#6 john aston

john aston

• 2,690 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:42

I loved it and was there all three days .I am not complaining about a 1000 plus entry of cars from nine decades , and an access all areas approach to both pits. I walked 21 miles over 3 days , because I had a lot to see and people I wanted to talk to. That would have have been less if I had  taken the free bus service but I had to walk to assuage my guilt at a cooked breakfast. It is a super event, spoiled only by the fact that there are few really decent spots to watch on track action - I have three which are OK but it's never going to be Brands or Goodwood, and never was or could be.  

Some terrific racing too, and the sound of Damon Hill's screaming Williams positively made me tingle . 

#7 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,571 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:48

I watched parts of all the three days. Commentary was a bit hit & miss with some dubious factoids being thrown out.

Coverage, given the somewhat changeable weather conditions, was very good. 

I was a bit shocked that they didn't display the full list of finishers rather than the top 10 or 20.

Given the weather I was glad I opted out of a Friday trip as I probably saw more on the live stream!

#8 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 454 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:09

Thoughts on the event to follow but you can see an initial section of my photos from all three days here - https://www.flickr.c...os/dwh38/albums

#9 geordiecraig101

geordiecraig101

• 108 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:46

Was only able to be there for Saturday this year but was absolutely brilliant. The weather just added extra excitement even if it did reduce the amount of racing at times. Calum Lockie's drive in the Thundersports was stunning to watch, even more jaw dropping to learn he was stuck in 5th gear for last few laps.

Here's my trackside vid if anyone interested, apologies for lack of shot locations:

https://youtu.be/-hkmtFHmcvM

#10 GazChed

GazChed

• 696 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 20:13

For those who may not be aware, next year's Silverstone Classic will be held over the August Bank Holiday weekend, probably due to the fact that the Moto GP weekend has been moved forward from the August Bank Holiday this year to the weekend of August the 5th to the 7th next year.

Apart from the fact that the Silverstone Classic is moved much closer to the Goodwood Revival and Spa Six Hour meetings, it will be interesting to see what becomes of the Oulton Park Historic Gold Cup meeting which has been held over three days of the August Bank Holiday weekend for many years.