Photo

Hungarian GP proposals

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Michkov

Michkov

• 20 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:21

Looking through Guido de Carli’s entry on the Hungaroring, at the start I find this line:

"Since 1974 15 circuit were proposed (permanent and street ones), but none of them was never developed"

Anyone got anymore information about these 15, well 14, one of them is the Varosliget proposal, but that is the only one I could find anything about.

Advertisement

#2 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 14:29

The story of the modern Hungarian Grand Prix started way back in the early seventies. The Ministry of Transport had created plans for a permanent circuit. A site was chosen close to lake Velence (between Budapest and Lake Balaton). One of the two was developed further (into the eighties) but never got completed. The location was found to be to far away from Budapest.

In the early eighties, when a Hungarian bid was made for a Grand Prix, it seemed that a permanent track was planned at Tápióbicske, about 25 km to the east of Budapest. It was a candidate to host the Hungarian GP.

By 1984 a Hungarian GP was truly placed on the F1 calendar. It was to be held at the Városliget,  a park within Budapest. The circuit was partly on the wide streets as well through the park.

It was cancelled due to various reasons and another street circuit at Népliget (also a park in Budapest) was proposed. This was earlier the location for the 1936 Hungarian Grand Prix. The first configuration was different from the 1936 track. There was opposition (as was also the case with Városliget) to cutting many trees for the race. As a result some other configurations were proposed mid-1985.

By the end of 1985 the construction of the first permanent Hungarian circuit began. At first it was known as Szilasliget; the name Hungaroring was decided later, probably shortly before the inauguration. During the development the plans had to be modified due to suitability of the soil.

So I count:

-2- Velence

-1- Tápióbicske

-1- Városliget

-5- Népliget (probably more)

-2- Szilasliget/ Hungaroring

Edited by Arjan de Roos, 08 August 2021 - 14:30.