Racer.com: Andretti pursuing Formula 1 team takeover

• Please log in to reply
873 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,694 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:12

“It would be great, but there’s a long way to go if it were to happen,” Andretti told RACER. “If the right opportunity comes up, we’ll be all over it. But we’re not there yet.”

Haas has the obvious American link, but it has a close partnership with Ferrari, while Williams is a Mercedes customer – something it has in common with Zak Brown’s McLaren. Brown and Andretti are partners in other racing categories, having teamed up in Supercars, Australian GT and Extreme E. Independent of the McLaren CEO, Andretti fields a four-car IndyCar program, a two-car effort in Formula E, a four-car Indy Lights team and has an LMP3 entry in IMSA’s WeatherTech Sports Car Championship.

https://racer.com/20...-team-takeover/

Advertisement

#2 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:19

Oh, Lordy.   :eek:

#3 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,668 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:23

My money is on Sauber ...   ;)

#4 Anja

Anja

• 10,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:26

Wow. The Andretti name was already popping up quite often in one way or another whenever some teams' ownership was up in the air in recent years. And now if he's actively looking for options it makes things rather serious if you ask me, it seems he really wants to make this happen. 

Edited by Anja, 20 August 2021 - 20:29.

#5 azza200

azza200

• 1,001 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:28

maybe a team will be better then his F1 stint  :rotfl:

#6 Anja

Anja

• 10,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:31

Unfinished business can be a good motivation   ;)

#7 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:33

My money is on Sauber ...   ;)

Last I heard, HAAS wasn't for sale, but unless Michael's going to use the cars as billboards, why does he want to buy Sauber to finish 15th-20th? 

I'd love to see his business model.  Also would like to see his model for his FE program, while I'm at it...

Edited by eibyyz, 20 August 2021 - 20:33.

#8 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:35

Macca was Mario's deal.  Michael was more interested in the business side, based on interviews.  

#9 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,996 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:37

And here is my issue... (and could be posted in the other "new teams" thread).

All the teams on the grid are fairly safe these days, and having Andretti in F1 would be great. Both due to name, but also as a US team. It would be a lot better to get them in as a new team.

#10 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,668 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:53

All the teams on the grid are fairly safe these days, and having Andretti in F1 would be great. Both due to name, but also as a US team. It would be a lot better to get them in as a new team.

Maybe, but nobody except possibly a manufacturer is going to pay $200M just for permission to then pay $150M+ to start a team when they can get an established team, its facilities, its hardware, its technology, infrastructure, etc for the same $350M. New teams also don't get prize money the first two years now, iirc.

Edited by AustinF1, 20 August 2021 - 21:04.

#11 danmills

danmills

• 3,173 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 20:58

I wonder if their Honda relationship will have any influence on anything.

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,996 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 21:01

Maybe, but nobody except possibly a manufacturer is going to pay $200M just for permission to then pay $150M+ to start a team when they can get an established team, its facilities, its hardware, its technology, infrastructure, etc for the same $350M.

Of course. That's the issue...

It would be so much better to get them in as a new team. But it's just not possible.

#13 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 21:13

I wonder if he will downsize some of his other racing ventures? IndyCar is safe, but he has lots of irons in the fire.

#14 Silverstone96

Silverstone96

• 1,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 21:43

Realistically only Ferrari, Merc, Alpine and McLaren aren’t for sale. Even Red Bull could be bought of it was with a big manufacturer like say VW.

But realistically it won’t be them so that only leaves their sister team who always have a price.

I suspect Andretti is serious if he is going to do it and will want to run it from the uk so he can attract the best talent so that would rule out alpha tauri and sauber despite the latter still being very much for sale regardless of their Alfa branding deal which is flimsy as.

It won’t be Aston so that just leaves Haas or Williams, it really could be either. Gene Haas is clearly running on empty hoping Mazepins dad will buy in, Williams new owners have their own strategy so it would be surprising if it’s them but maybe that makes them a more attractive prospect to Andretti

#15 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 21:45

Is Andretti to F1 going to be the new VAG/Porsche rumour?

#16 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,079 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 22:11

If there wasn't a 200 million entry fee someone who wants to enter F1 would not be looking at buying an existing team but might consider setting up a new team, sad since it would mean the number of cars wouldn't grow

Edited by William Hunt, 20 August 2021 - 22:11.

#17 danmills

danmills

• 3,173 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 23:29

What would be more appealing and feasible to new entrants is if that investment was reimbursed somehow in installments based on either sticking around X seasons or fast tracked by performance factors and results. Both of which are an incentive to keep a team running.

That stops riff raff entrants, ensures a level of financially credible startups and effectively reduces the cost for said entrant as a long term prospect.

Right now it's almost like they dont want any new entrants so made it as hard as possible to prevent interest.

Why not waive the fee if, say, its a new engine manufacturer? There is zero incentive and just veryvhigh hurdles.

#18 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 23:57

Very, very well said. Such a system would discourage non serious entrants, while not acting as a barrier for the serious (but not insanely rich) ones.

#19 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:09

More Importantly.....

Sophie !!!

That's a gorgeous pic of Natalie !!!

Jp

Advertisement

#20 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 05:22

If there wasn't a 200 million entry fee someone who wants to enter F1 would not be looking at buying an existing team but might consider setting up a new team, sad since it would mean the number of cars wouldn't grow

I fear the grid will never again be larger than 20.

#21 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 949 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 07:55

I've said it before, a partnership (minimum) with Haas would be a good idea for them.

Interested to see if this goes further than just "thinking about it" though.

#22 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 08:44

I do wonder how long Haas will be willing to keep up his involvement just to promote his machines, though I suppose the Russian sponsorship eases the financial burden for him right now. Haas doesn’t seem to show much desire to leave at the moment though.

Alfa Romeo Sauber would be a good option. They have good facilities.

Whichever team it is, it would be good to get a proper race team involved. I’m sick of seeing F1 teams owned by car manufacturers and investment companies.

#23 danmills

danmills

• 3,173 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 10:41

But that model is what football has become and that's a sport with a larger fan base and far more profitable. It unfortunately works.

#24 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 10:46

Here is a MASSIVE opportunity for the FIA and FOM to get that US angle that they have been so desperate about since... well, since forever and which despite COTA and Haas still seems to elude them. 

Recognise that Andretti is a major, responsible and trustworthy outfit that won't disgrace itself and the sport. Drop the 200m barrier & let Andretti enter as the 11th team.  Tell the other 10 to take a hike if they don't like it.  

They won't though of course.... :rolleyes:

Edited by BRG, 21 August 2021 - 10:46.

#25 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,416 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 10:47

But that model is what football has become and that's a sport with a larger fan base and far more profitable. It unfortunately works.

Yes with 32 teams.

#26 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,219 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:11

Yes with 32 teams.

I get the feeling you're not talking about the same competition he is.

#27 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,714 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:23

Sauber seems to tick more boxes than any others. Unless Dorilton want to divest themselves of Williams. Selling the latter, when it appears to be on the up, to Andretti and permitting a change of name (if the Andrettis want that) would be quite the coup for F1. 

#28 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,416 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:35

Hmm... Could be, my point still hold for a closed franchise working fine with a lot of teams.

#29 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,416 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:36

If he is talking soccer does it really work? Are the teams not loading themselves up on debt, or be bought out by Russian oligarchs?

#30 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,219 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:38

Wait was that American football. That makes more sense. :lol:

#31 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,919 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:39

F1 is a funny idea for advertising products

I’m not fully up to speed on what it is that Haas manufacture and what those machines do… but if I was in the market for one, I’d maybe look past the worst team in F1… *shrug*

#32 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,919 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:40

Sauber seems to tick more boxes than any others. Unless Dorilton want to divest themselves of Williams. Selling the latter, when it appears to be on the up, to Andretti and permitting a change of name (if the Andrettis want that) would be quite the coup for F1.

Andretti-Williams Mercedes could work! Like BMW Sauber Ferrari… (but better)

#33 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,281 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 11:45

The Andretti's need to be talking to William Storey, he knows a few people in the sport, he might be able to bring some sponsorship to the team...

#34 red stick

red stick

• 14,122 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 12:54

Mario said he could get Herta an F1 ride.   :smoking:

#35 paulb

paulb

• 11,257 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 12:58

Mario said he could get Herta an F1 ride.   :smoking:

Yes, please. And Pato.

#36 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 13:15

Americans "get" the franchise model that Liberty wants to move to. They understand that spending cap + $200m franchise fee for brand new joiners means that the value of every F1 team just went up by at least $150m even in the case of the worst managed ones.... so why not buy one cheap before the Europeans figure out what an F1 team is really worth now? 

If this happens, it will be the 3rd team owned by Americans/Anglo-Americans and the 2nd one bought by them in the last 2(?) years.... as they say, three times makes it a trend.

They print the world's money in the USA and that privilege + two rounds of big bail outs in the last 12 years means that there is a lot of cheap money sloshing around in their economy that needs to go somewhere.... with the changes that Liberty is making to structure of the "sport", F1 is a good place to invest these days. If he can cobble together the backing to take over and run Sauber, he should go for it... if it doesnt work out, he can probably sell it to another yank without making a loss.

Edited by jjcale, 21 August 2021 - 13:20.

#37 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,487 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 13:46

Last I heard, HAAS wasn't for sale, but unless Michael's going to use the cars as billboards, why does he want to buy Sauber to finish 15th-20th? 

I'd love to see his business model.  Also would like to see his model for his FE program, while I'm at it...

Yes, and I would like to know more about what exactly he does at the team, and what is done by others with less profile. What makes this work, while some other Indycar teams falter? Has he any other business experience that is not to do with racing? In some ways, I would like to be impressed but I can't see what is really happening. 

#38 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,135 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 14:11

Yes, please. And Pato.

Sorry Paul, Pato needs to stay right where he is.

#39 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 15:03

Yes, and I would like to know more about what exactly he does at the team, and what is done by others with less profile. What makes this work, while some other Indycar teams falter? Has he any other business experience that is not to do with racing? In some ways, I would like to be impressed but I can't see what is really happening. 

You just twigged a thought. As far as I can glean, Michael has followed the NA$CAR sponsorship model--different skin/decal every week, that way he can get sponsors to dip in and out without having to cough up a year's worth of money. I know this isn't Mosley's/Ecclestone's F1 any longer, but a uniform paint job seems to be sacrosanct.  Michael's going to have to make that work.

Edited by eibyyz, 21 August 2021 - 15:57.

Advertisement

#40 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 15:18

it's not only the entry fee, it's too complex to built up a F1 team nowadays what is very sad. Online 1 new team in the last 10 years are very sad and historical...

#41 djparky

djparky

• 2,003 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 15:19

Andretti must be mad...he will need some very good sponsors to pay the bills.

As for Herta and O'Ward- you can win races in Indy Car or spend your life competing for 18th...( unless Andretti is looking af RBR or Mercedes)

#42 GlenWatkins

GlenWatkins

• 2,135 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 15:50

You just twigged a thought. As far as I can glean, Michael has followed the NA$CAR sponsorship model--different skin/decal every week, that way he can get sponsors to dip in and out without having to cough up a year's worth of money. I know this isn't Moseley's/Ecclestone's F1 any longer, but a uniform paint job seems to be sacrosanct. Michael's going to have to make that work.

Zak Brown implemented this (logos anyway) when he arrived at McLaren.

Edited by GlenWatkins, 21 August 2021 - 15:58.

#43 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 15:54

You just twigged a thought. As far as I can glean, Michael has followed the NA$CAR sponsorship model--different skin/decal every week, that way he can get sponsors to dip in and out without having to cough up a year's worth of money. I know this isn't Moseley's/Ecclestone's F1 any longer, but a uniform paint job seems to be sacrosanct. Michael's going to have to make that work.

Of the top teams Andretti is one of the more stable when it comes to liveries, certainly much more than Penske. RHR’s No.28 is always DHL. Herta’s No.26 is always Gainbridge. Rossi’s No.27 just switches between Napa and Autonation.

#44 Anja

Anja

• 10,346 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 16:21

Whatever he's doing, it's clearly working. 

#45 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,404 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 16:43

Right now it's almost like they dont want any new entrants so made it as hard as possible to prevent interest.

Almost?

It's exactly how it is.

#46 paulb

paulb

• 11,257 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 17:51

Sorry Paul, Pato needs to stay right where he is.

Then so should Colton.

I would love for them to both stay in Indycar, but if they can get F1 drives, they should give it a go.

#47 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 17:57

Wow. The Andretti name was already popping up quite often in one way or another whenever some teams' ownership was up in the air in recent years. And now if he's actively looking for options it makes things rather serious if you ask me, it seems he really wants to make this happen. 

Do you think the Andretti outfit has the money and manpower for something like this ? Its a huge step. Maybe if he got a big sponsor on board.

#48 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 17:59

I'd love to see one of the American names in F1. But I think Pensky or Gannasi is more realistic.

#49 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 17:59

Do you think the Andretti outfit has the money and manpower for something like this ? Its a huge step. Maybe if he got a big sponsor on board.

Great thing about buying an F1 team is the workforce is already there.

#50 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2021 - 18:00

I'd love to see one of the American names in F1. But I think Pensky or Gannasi is more realistic.

Why? Andretti Autosport is just as big as the other two.