Photo

The Story of Nigel Mansell's BTCC Year

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SuperTouringCar

SuperTouringCar

• 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 16:47

I recently looked back at Nigel Mansell's BTCC Year in 1998, where he felt a good many highs and lows!

I hope you enjoy. :)

https://1990sbtcc.co...ells-btcc-year/

Advertisement

#2 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 00:15

whilst Nigel complained of a sore neck

Plus ca change...

#3 SuperTouringCar

SuperTouringCar

• 44 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 06:37

Plus ca change...

:rotfl:

He'll never change.

#4 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 431 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 12:29

Thanks STC, great article.  Despite my terrible username, like many others I do appreciate Mansell was a master at ensuring the press, public and his team knew the struggles were always machine, never man.

I remember an program he did for Sky (F1 Legends, I think) a few years ago when he was interviewed by Peter Windsor.  Mansell was recounting how in the '91 Spanish GP, Schumacher was catching him for the lead and Mansell could do nothing about it until Schumacher got close and he could see what lines he was taking.  Peter Windsor at that point said something to the effect of 'So was it a case of Michael was driving better than you that day?' Before he could even finish the sentence, Nigel stopped him in his tracks and firmly corrected him that it was not the case!

But whenever and wherever he was on track in whatever racing car, there was drama, excitement and often jaw-dropping passes.  That's way he was my hero as a young fan.  Fast forward to the '98 Donington BTCC race and nothing had changed.

He's never officially announced he's 'retired' has he?  Even now, him turning up to do a BTCC race would probably get bums on seats...

#5 SuperTouringCar

SuperTouringCar

• 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 16:52

Thanks STC, great article.  Despite my terrible username, like many others I do appreciate Mansell was a master at ensuring the press, public and his team knew the struggles were always machine, never man.

I remember an program he did for Sky (F1 Legends, I think) a few years ago when he was interviewed by Peter Windsor.  Mansell was recounting how in the '91 Spanish GP, Schumacher was catching him for the lead and Mansell could do nothing about it until Schumacher got close and he could see what lines he was taking.  Peter Windsor at that point said something to the effect of 'So was it a case of Michael was driving better than you that day?' Before he could even finish the sentence, Nigel stopped him in his tracks and firmly corrected him that it was not the case!

But whenever and wherever he was on track in whatever racing car, there was drama, excitement and often jaw-dropping passes.  That's way he was my hero as a young fan.  Fast forward to the '98 Donington BTCC race and nothing had changed.

He's never officially announced he's 'retired' has he?  Even now, him turning up to do a BTCC race would probably get bums on seats...

Thanks for the very kind words! 

I wanted to give Nigel a fair showing - he normally polarises opinion of either being a whinging moaner or an incredible talent. Myself, I think his BTCC stint wasn't as bad as some will have you believe. He was quick at times and hardly had a fair go, the Mondeo was a dog in the dry. 

The BTCC season was very much a small insight into his whole career. Swashbuckling battles, loads of drama and a tiiiiiny bit of moaning..... he will never stop that! :rotfl: 

Glad you enjoyed. :)  

#6 d j fox

d j fox

• 302 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 19:07

Interesting article “Push to Pass” is still going strong after all these years.I read/heard somewhere that there is apparently a “Touring Car Driving Standards” person (!!??!!
Wonder where they watch the “races” from?

#7 BRG

BRG

• 25,900 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 19:28

From race control.  It is why driving standards in the BTCC have improved out of all recognition.  They even enforce track limits, despite F1 finding that impossible to police.

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 19:47

That was a good read. I wonder if Nigel had done the full season, or at least more than just three weekends, things might have looked a bit better.

One thing I am curious about from the time, is the relationship between the manufacturers and the teams that ran their cars. For example, with Ford switching from WSR to Prodrive as mentioned here. I'd imagine it was quite disruptive to have some personnel (including the drivers by the looks of it) working for the manufacturer and others working for the team.

#9 SuperTouringCar

SuperTouringCar

• 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 20:40

Not sure I agree with that, the last few BTCC races I've watched have been utter crash fests.  :rotfl:

From race control.  It is why driving standards in the BTCC have improved out of all recognition.  They even enforce track limits, despite F1 finding that impossible to police.

#10 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 21:31

Jeff Allam used to be the Driving Standards Observer, I believe, but he retired recently, don't know who replaced him.......

#11 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,230 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 13:05

They must take their lunch break when the Mini's head out on track. 

#12 bsc

bsc

• 126 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 20:04

Jeff Allam used to be the Driving Standards Observer, I believe, but he retired recently, don't know who replaced him.......

It is now James Cole.