• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,010 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 18:46

https://www.macsmoto...den/#more-85785

1973-Holden-308-CID-V8-315.jpg

Twenty years ago, when money was burning a hole in my pocket, I came within a simple bank transfer of buying and importing a Holden Monaro with the hot version of this engine; total price would have been less than 20,000 American dollars.
Instead I pissed away the money on a wasted attempt at a masters degree. ):

Advertisement

#2 Joe Bosworth

Joe Bosworth

• 686 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 01:21

The Monaro may be worth more than the masters by today, :yawnface:

Regards

#3 404KF2

404KF2

• 18,975 posts

Posted 28 August 2021 - 03:41

It's not too late to finish it, is it?   ;)

#4 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:40

https://www.macsmoto...den/#more-85785

1973-Holden-308-CID-V8-315.jpg

Twenty years ago, when money was burning a hole in my pocket, I came within a simple bank transfer of buying and importing a Holden Monaro with the hot version of this engine; total price would have been less than 20,000 American dollars.
Instead I pissed away the money on a wasted attempt at a masters degree. ):

The engine better known as the Plastic Fantastic. Came as a 253ci [4.2] or 308ci 5 litre.  Never a great engine as the heads dont produce that much power. Reasonably light and self lightening with cam lobes disapearing, breaking and gumming the pistons and rings, intakes and waterpumps corroding and pushing coolant out the front and rear of the heads. Though good coolant resolved the corrosion,, but not the rest.

The pic is a 308 in a HQ Holden, the first gen of the engine.

Followed in 87 with the detroked 304ci for GpA rules and with fool injection. Fitted to the Batmobile VL Commys.

And then the 'VN engine'  with a total revision of the intakes being IE IE IE IE instead of 2 exhaust and 2 intakes together. With better injection and generally a better thing. Though still no ball of fire, a bit more poke than the 302 Ford with efi. And that is another engine that is less than ideal for performance.

By 99 though that engine was dropped in favor of the 5.7 LS complete with undersized oil pickup that killed a lot of them. Because Holden took the worst part of a Falcon design and moved the oil pan well to the front. With [gen 3] the oil pump at the back of the engine. Every Holden dealer had a 5.7 corner