- - - - -

Speed Demon piston driven to 470 mph

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 14:18

In a  racing world where teh rule makers tels engine builders to reduce power e.g. WEC it's nice to see  some old school but smart guys still working at getitng more power and going faster

https://www.speeddem...out-speed-demon

Advertisement

#2 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,363 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 23:47

Yeah, while the jet and rocket cars are interesting, it's the piston powered wheel driven ones that hold my interest. Slight nit to pick, it isn't iconic, it looks like every other current record holder.

This is iconic https://en.wikipedia...den_Arrow_(car)

#3 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,511 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 14:20

I think the Speed Demon car itself is beautiful. You can tell just by the pure shape that the rules it was designed to make sense. Ugly, illogical, poorly conceived rules, make for ugly racing cars. Objects designed for function rather than to address an arbitrary ruleset have a pure, purposeful beauty utterly lacking in modern high-level, exquisitely political motorsport. The modern racing car's appearance reflect the ugliness, inelegance, and incoherency of the rules that shape them.

The website however has a dearth of technical info about the car itself. It seems written for children or semi-literates rather than gearheads. I assume the engine is the usual supercharged, pushrod V-8 lump, something like a downtuned TF engine.

#4 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,388 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 17:35

The three videos are interesting enough. Unfortunately the one with the most technical detail is also the most difficult to watch. I thought it was worth the watch. https://youtu.be/-t0RSBnNLyQ

#5 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,717 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 19:28

Yeah, while the jet and rocket cars are interesting, it's the piston powered wheel driven ones that hold my interest. Slight nit to pick, it isn't iconic, it looks like every other current record holder.

This is iconic https://en.wikipedia...den_Arrow_(car)

Totally agree. I have banned the word "iconic" at every publication where I had the authority. Overused. If I never see it again I'm ok with it. 

#6 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,363 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 22:24

" I have banned the word "iconic" at every publication where I had the authority."

I'll do the same... oh, that made damn all difference!

#7 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 22:47

It will be interesting to see if that chassis can get to the 500 mph barrier. Some interesting takeout from the video (linked by Canuk).

No wind tunnel testing - all designed with CAD/CFD.

Flush air intakes to reduce drag. WTF??? It wouldn't take a lot of CFD modelling to establsh that is a fallacy. At one point in the video they say "the modelling showed high pressure at this location so we put the intakes there". Surely the intakes should be included in the model - with representative intake flow - and developed to minimise drag while maximising intake pressure?

#8 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 22:48

" I have banned the word "iconic" at every publication where I had the authority."

I'll do the same... oh, that made damn all difference!

An iconic decision nonetheless.

#9 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 19:11

At one point in the video they say "the modelling showed high pressure at this location so we put the intakes there". Surely the intakes should be included in the model - with representative intake flow - and developed to minimise drag while maximising intake pressure?

They do not have all the resources in the world i guess. They are your typical hot rod guys, best mechanics and tinkerers you can get. Not too familiar with the latest and greatest high tech stuff.  And i am not sure if that intake design is the end of the world Perhaps it should be bigger with a nicer entry radius. Personally i miss rear facing exhausts for a bit of extra push.

It is so good looking!

Edited by MatsNorway, 02 October 2021 - 19:14.

#10 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 22:18

The shape was designed using CFD. I just don't think they modelled the intakes properly.