- - - - -

None or both

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 21:48

"Racing incidents" apparently only occur in the midfield nowadays. Maybe it was always like that, but we are getting towards the end of a hard championship battle that will most likely be tainted by decisions made by race stewards. We've already had three incidents (two if we exclude Bottas brainfade) that has tipped the scales in favor of one driver and it seem very likely that we will have more. As I see it, both Silverstone and Monza was race incidents: At Silverstone HAM tried a risky 50/50 move (which he as a racing driver is expected to do now and then)  and very slightly overcooked it which ended Verstappens race. In that incident, nobody was really in a position to avoid it but I am confident  Hamilton's understeer  was unintentional. Racing incident. At Monza, VER did a 50/50 move that resulted in a situation where both drivers could have avoided the contact, but both expected the other one to yield. Racing incident. 

The race stewards did not see any of the as Racing Incidents though, they handed out penalties. One penalty that was, and that must have been known by the stewards, on paper only. There was no doubt that the 5 seconds that HAM got would not in any way deprive him of his victory. The Monza incident gave Max +3 grid spots. That is substantial considering that both had plenty of time to avoid the contact.

My thinking here is that since they seem determined to stifle aggressive driving, "both are guilty" would be a better way to deal with it rather than the weak and controversial "predominantly at fault" judgement that they seem to feel obligated to serve. Give them both grid penalties, put them at the back, whatever, but if both drivers can avoid the contact and nobody does it, then both, or none, should get a penalty.

Maybe they need to consider bringing in permanent race stewards for the rest of the season to make sure there is consistency.

I'd like this championship to be decided on track. 

Edited by Singularity, 16 September 2021 - 21:49.

Advertisement

#2 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 21:53

"Racing incidents" apparently only occur in the midfield nowadays. Maybe it was always like that, but we are getting towards the end of a hard championship battle that will most likely be tainted by decisions made by race stewards. We've already had three incidents (two if we exclude Bottas brainfade) that has tipped the scales in favor of one driver and it seem very likely that we will have more. As I see it, both Silverstone and Monza was race incidents: At Silverstone HAM tried a risky 50/50 move (which he as a racing driver is expected to do now and then)  and very slightly overcooked it which ended Verstappens race. In that incident, nobody was really in a position to avoid it but I am confident  Hamilton's understeer  was unintentional. Racing incident. At Monza, VER did a 50/50 move that resulted in a situation where both drivers could have avoided the contact, but both expected the other one to yield. Racing incident. 

The race stewards did not see any of the as Racing Incidents though, they handed out penalties. One penalty that was, and that must have been known by the stewards, on paper only. There was no doubt that the 5 seconds that HAM got would not in any way deprive him of his victory. The Monza incident gave Max +3 grid spots. That is substantial considering that both had plenty of time to avoid the contact.

My thinking here is that since they seem determined to stifle aggressive driving, "both are guilty" would be a better way to deal with it rather than the weak and controversial "predominantly at fault" judgement that they seem to feel obligated to serve. Give them both grid penalties, put them at the back, whatever, but if both drivers can avoid the contact and nobody does it, then both, or none, should get a penalty.

Maybe they need to consider bringing in permanent race stewards for the rest of the season to make sure there is consistency.

I'd like this championship to be decided on track.

How do you feel about compulsory pit stops?

#3 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 21:57

You can't seriously be bringing this up again.

#4 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 22:02

You can't seriously be bringing this up again.

First time.

#5 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,340 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 22:07

No, its a rehash of nauseating claptrap peppered with dishonesty. Check your facts or was it a deliberate tactic.

#6 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 22:10

No, its a rehash of nauseating claptrap peppered with dishonesty. Check your facts or was it a deliberate tactic.

Did you even read the OP or do you just assume that I am having a go at your hero? Maybe this thread is of no interest for you?

#7 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 22:21

I'm not convinced the claim that they are out to "stifle aggressive driving" is based on much evidence considering what they let go.

Also the plea of 'deciding the championship on track' is misplaced against the stewards when the responsibility of that lays at the feet of the drivers.

Overall, a bit of a long winded gripe about Max's 3 place grid penalty being too much vs the 10s penalty of Hamilton being not enough, even though the OP doesn't want to see penalties for what are largely racing incidents.

#8 Singularity

Singularity

• 848 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 22:28

Overall, a bit of a long winded gripe about Max's 3 place grid penalty being too much vs the 10s penalty of Hamilton being not enough, even though the OP doesn't want to see penalties for what are largely racing incidents.

People who cannot read make me tired. Maybe you try again and just read the title of the thread? That is maybe easier to digest.

Edited by Singularity, 16 September 2021 - 23:56.

#9 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 22:33

People who cannot read make me tired. Maybe you try again and just read the title of the thread? That is maybe easier to digest.

And ignore everything else your wrote?

Just have a poll then.

#10 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:45

We have just done the questions on how the Silverstone and Monza incidents were handled at great length.