Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Greatest F1 tyre supplier?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Greatest F1 Tyres? (147 member(s) have cast votes)

Which f1 tyre supplier is the greatest?

1. Avon (1 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

2. Bridgestone (29 votes [19.73%])

Percentage of vote: 19.73%

3. Continental (1 votes [0.68%])

4. Dunlop (4 votes [2.72%])

Percentage of vote: 2.72%

5. Engelbert (3 votes [2.04%])

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

6. Firestone (1 votes [0.68%])

7. Goodyear (58 votes [39.46%])

Percentage of vote: 39.46%

8. Michelin (44 votes [29.93%])

Percentage of vote: 29.93%

9. Pirelli (6 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FirstnameLastname

FirstnameLastname

• 7,875 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 23:58

When you think of F1 tyres, which supplier do you see as THE f1 supplier? The most iconic or the best tyres?

And when buying tyres for your road car, do any F1 brands hold more sway for you?

I started watching F1 when Goodyear were the sole supplier, and then Bridgestone rocked up in 1997 just in time for the awful grooved tyres. Goodyear are probably the tyre I think of when picturing tyres on an F1 car, although Michelin came up with some great tyres for bmw Williams when the Michelin/Bridgestone tyre war was playing out.

I wouldn’t be against another tyre war…

Advertisement

#2 eibyyz

eibyyz

• 1,825 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 00:19

GY, and I'm not a fan of their road tyres.  They'd shoe the field when Firestone or Michelin would bail.  Give them props for that.

#3 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,542 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:11

Goodyear by miles. 368 wins...

Edited by George Costanza, 17 September 2021 - 04:13.

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,288 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:30

As a fan born in the 80s it can only be Goodyear for me. The iconic yellow labels on the sidewalls scream "racing tyre". BTCC switching from Dunlop to Goodyear has been a real nostalgia trip lately.

Never had Goodyears on my own car though. I'm currently on Yokohama.

Edit: Does anyone have "actual" tyre supplier stats that exclude all the races that they were the single supplier? It always felt a bit cheap when Goodyear or whoever celebrated x number of wins when nobody else could have.

#5 cjm321190

cjm321190

• 1,188 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:55

Goodyear for me, then Bridgestone, the tyre wars were great. Michelin were OK but not around for long.

Even in the 1990s Pirellis were fast over one lap then wore to fast when competing with Goodyear.

#6 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:13

Goodyear

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,731 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:26

Don't know who I would consider the greatest f1 the supplier, but I do know that being an f1 supplier features nowhere when I'm looking for new tyres. There is no corrolation between road tyres and race tyres.

#8 keeppari

keeppari

• 356 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 09:55

Goodyear would still be the first brand that I would name if someone asked to list F1 tyre suppliers. I guess they hold a certain status although haven't been in F1 for ages.

When buying summer tyres I just avoid the dirt cheap Chinese brands. Apart from those, I can't tell one brand from another from behind the wheel. Probably would go for the "F1 brand" if I was presented with two sets costing the same but being unfamiliar with the other brand. For winter tyres, I usually check some reviews and pick something decent based on those.

#9 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 10:45

I wouldn’t be against another tyre war…

I would, They caused as much grief as Pirelli do nowadays. 

Goodyear would still be the first brand that I would name if someone asked to list F1 tyre suppliers. 

Me too.  Although I voted for Englebert...because somebody had to!

#10 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:11

Goodyear....for all the reasons stated above.

Nothing against any of the others and I think that Pirelli are in a very difficult position being instructed by the FIA to make tyres that have certain undesirable characteristics. But when I think of F1 tyres, I think Goodyear.

#11 Hati

Hati

• 6,950 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:14

I bet seasons would have been more surprising lately if they hadn't forced Pirelli to change tyres in 2013.

#12 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:15

Iconic: Goodyear
Best: Michelin

#13 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:01

Edit: Does anyone have "actual" tyre supplier stats that exclude all the races that they were the single supplier? It always felt a bit cheap when Goodyear or whoever celebrated x number of wins when nobody else could have.

Yeah, reminded me of those hilarious ads celebrating Firestone's wins at Indy.

So the stats are almost meaningless unless adjusted in the manner you describe at the very least.

In my formative years of watching, Michelin were very much considered the best and results backed this up so that's where my vote went.

#14 Claymore25

Claymore25

• 722 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:28

Goodyear.

#15 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,392 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 13:29

Goodyear.

I can't use them on my car because they don't make an R01 in the size I need. Had to fit Pirelli P Zeros recently, previously Dunlops, Continental was the only other choice. I Don't buy on F1 reputation.

Edited by Tombstone, 17 September 2021 - 13:32.

#16 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,771 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 13:45

I run a set of Goodyear eagles, been a very good tyre for the price point i have to say.

Oddly I associate Michelin with f1, weird I know.

#17 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 13:46

I Don't buy on F1 reputation.

me neither, but then I don't want to change tires every 100kms or so. And I can't do it in under 4 seconds neither...

As for Pirelli, I am sure they produce the tires to specification. Instead of blaming Pirelli I'd blame the people who write the specification. Of course I might be mistaken.

My work mates also loved the Pirelli calendars, someone always managed to get their hands on one and then they would simply drool over it.  :)

#18 danmills

danmills

• 3,169 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 13:54

Goodyear Eagles

#19 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 13:54

I did some kwik maffs.

Taking away the races in which each manufacturer was the sole supplier, we get the following:

Avon: 0 wins in 29 races (0%)

Englebert: 12 wins in 66 races (18.2%)

Pirelli: 40 wins in 199 races (20.1%) [210 wins removed]

Dunlop: 35 wins in 127 races (27.6%) [48 wins removed]

Firestone: 38 wins in 111 races (34.2%) [11 wins removed]

Michelin: 99 wins in 212 races (46.7%) [3 wins removed]

Bridgestone: 71 wins ins 140 races (50.7%) [104 wins removed]*

Goodyear: 221 wins in 346 races (63.9%) [147 wins removed]

Continental: 10 wins in 14 races (71.4%)

*Indy '05 was counted!

The correct answer, therefore, is Continental. :p

Advertisement

#20 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 13:56

Continental supplied the tyres Mercedes ran on in the 50s, right?

At least one of the races they didn't win was attributed in some circles to the drivers of the W196 streamliner being unable to see their tyres and consequently place the car accurately, so I dunno, maybe another moral victory for Conti?

#21 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,067 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 13:58

It's Englebert, a Belgian tyre brand, and not Engelbert as in the poll

#22 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 13:59

At least one of the races they didn't win was attributed in some circles to the drivers of the W196 streamliner being unable to see their tyres and consequently place the car accurately, so I dunno, maybe another moral victory for Conti?

Yep. 9 wins with Merc, plus an extra with Stirling Moss' Rob Walker Lotus in Argentina '58.

#23 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:01

A race won by 4 fewer Continental tyres than Moss's rivals anticipated. :up:

#24 Leibowitz

Leibowitz

• 811 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:07

Michelin

#25 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,288 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:10

I’m surprised so many people can look past Indy ‘05 when considering Michelin.

#26 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,672 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:10

I think of Goodyear as the iconic brand, but as has been said, a lot comes down to when you get into F1.

It makes no difference to real life though. Quite recently my car needed new tyres and the garage was like "Is this brand OK?" and I was like "Sure, whatever."

#27 Ruusperi

Ruusperi

• 2,901 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:18

Goodyear I suppose. They could do Spain 1996 without problems. Well, maybe Bridgestone's moonsoon tyres could have been enough as well.

#28 Albaforever

Albaforever

• 1,292 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:22

Goodyear for me.

#29 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:28

One for the older F1 fans here: Did anyone ever complain about the Goodyear tires when they were the sole survivor supplier? I remember in the early 90's, Pirellis were rubbish but were great for quali, but I can never recall anyone complaining about Goodyear tires.

and for those wanting a tire war... that has never worked out well for F1. Ignoring the potential for a huge disparity in performance beyond the teams control, you run the risk of ending up with defacto works teams.

#30 Albaforever

Albaforever

• 1,292 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:45

One for the older F1 fans here: Did anyone ever complain about the Goodyear tires when they were the sole survivor supplier? I remember in the early 90's, Pirellis were rubbish but were great for quali, but I can never recall anyone complaining about Goodyear tires.

and for those wanting a tire war... that has never worked out well for F1. Ignoring the potential for a huge disparity in performance beyond the teams control, you run the risk of ending up with defacto works teams.

I did in 1986 when Mansell's tyre blew in Adelaide.  

#31 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:50

It's Englebert, a Belgian tyre brand, and not Engelbert as in the poll

Phew, glad I spelled it right in my post.  They later became merged with Uniroyal and are now part of Continental, I believe.

I always had trouble with this story.  None of the same drivers ever had a problem placing their cars when racing sports cars.  I reckon it is the first edition of 'Driver's Excuses'

#32 Collombin

Collombin

• 8,644 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:52

I’m surprised so many people can look past Indy ‘05 when considering Michelin.

That famous photo of Michelin Man running away from that Zandvoort crash makes them immune from all criticism.

#33 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 14:55

I always had trouble with this story.  None of the same drivers ever had a problem placing their cars when racing sports cars.  I reckon it is the first edition of 'Driver's Excuses'

I'm not sure it turned up in the contemporary race reports. Tbh there are a few reasons why a new car that up to then had only then been successful on the point-and-shoot Reims circuit might struggle around Silverstone, especially given the bad weather on Sunday. Besides, Fangio put the car on pole so he must've been able to manage some of the time without being able to see his front tyres.

On the other hand, that was the last anyone saw of the streamlined bodywork (at the front of a race, at least) until Monza, right?

(I was looking through some old Motor Sports the other day and saw that streamliners were so much in vogue in 1954 that the original press drawings of the Connaught F1 car came with an option for enveloping bodywork. Marvellous!)

#34 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,725 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 15:09

Goodyear Eagles as that's what I remember when I started watching in the late 80s, after that Michelin because of the Williams tie up in the 2000s.

Steve.

#35 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,358 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 15:24

LEMANS-1963-DKW-DEPART-COURBE-DUNLOP.jpg

Iconic, did you say?

#36 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,358 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 15:40

Many people forget that the Renault RS01 of 1977 was not only the first turbo-charged F1 car, but also the first car equipped with radial tyres, made by Michelin. The following year, they also supplied Ferrari and they won five races. Shortly, all F1 tyres would be radial. That's why they get my vote.

In hindsight and on the long term, the radial revolution brought by The Yellow Teapot was more decisive for the sport than the turbo-charged revolution.

#37 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,054 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:45

It does seem very strange for Fangio of all people to struggle with this, but it came from the horse's mouth. The story did the rounds at the time. Then in his 1990 book "My Racing Life" (actually written by Roberto Carozzo in the third person, but with copious quotes from Fangio) he says:

"I never got to like the streamlined car. When I was in a racing car, I always liked to see exactly where the wheels were pointing. When we went to Silverstone after Reims, I had no idea of the problems I would be up against. During the race, I was continually knocking against the low sand-filled drums placed at the side of the track, on the inside of the curves. The visibility was not very good..."

#38 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,054 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:51

No, I pay no attention whatever to racing success when buying road tyres. Similarly I don't insist on Notwen oil, Ferodo brake linings or Valsar paint. I currently have Pirellis on my road car, and strangely don't have to stop every fifteen minutes to change them. Nor do I drive along saying in a thin Scottish accent: "Mind how much energy ye put through ye're ty-ers, and watch out for an under-rotation."

#39 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 13:42

Not that I i drive, but spousal unit's car has been shod with Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli and cheap brands. Whatever is available and well priced at the time.

My late father learned to drive before speed limits and never paid them any attention when they did come in. He always bought the cheapest tyres available. The garage would ask things like "What sort of speeds do you drive?" and he'd answer "I don't know, up to 120 I think"...and they'd recommend expensive tyres...and he'd opt for the cheapo ones. The only two accidents he ever was involved in were a man on a bicycle who had escaped from the mental ward of the local hospital and suddenly turned in front of him, and an idiot on a roundabout who clearly hadn't read his highway code. Oh...a third one where he was doing a steady 40 in the winter on a motorway (he wasn't stupid) and we moved from a county which had gritted the road to one that hadn't with no warning....and hit ice. Queue a 720 spin and minor damage to the front end of the car. So I guess the expensive tyres aren't that much better. But radial tyres were a big change, and an important one. It was also necessary to make public information films warning people not to mix cross-ply and radial tyres. 

I still think Goodyear for F1, partly due to getting into F1 in the late 70s and early 80s...even though Michelin were perhaps more innovative at that time, Goodyear were "old faithful"

Advertisement

#40 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,945 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 13:53

Moss tended to have the edge on Fangio in sportscars though.  And JMF never won the Mille Miglia, Le Mans, or the Targa Florio.  I think there's something in it.  No room for El Chueco to show his superiority in car placing.

On the other hand, that was the last anyone saw of the streamlined bodywork (at the front of a race, at least) until Monza, right?

(I was looking through some old Motor Sports the other day and saw that streamliners were so much in vogue in 1954 that the original press drawings of the Connaught F1 car came with an option for enveloping bodywork. Marvellous!)

Hans Herrmann had one at the Ring, presumably as a reference point.  Kling and Fangio had them at the Berlin GP in September - but of course that was at the AVUS.  And the Connaught did race with the full bodywork.

09-Leslie-Marr-leading-in-the-F1-Connaug

^ a streamlined Leslie Marr ahead of a non-streamlined Moss and Fangio

#41 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 14:11

LEMANS-1963-DKW-DEPART-COURBE-DUNLOP.jpg

Iconic, did you say?

When you're more famous for sponsoring a footbridge then for your actual product...

#42 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,054 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 16:13

...And the Connaught did race with the full bodywork.

Which they abandoned because it got damaged in the transporter... sadly it's not recorded if it was a would-be-Fangio mechanic driving it onto the truck.

#43 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 23:46

Many people forget that the Renault RS01 of 1977 was not only the first turbo-charged F1 car, but also the first car equipped with radial tyres, made by Michelin. The following year, they also supplied Ferrari and they won five races. Shortly, all F1 tyres would be radial. That's why they get my vote.

In hindsight and on the long term, the radial revolution brought by The Yellow Teapot was more decisive for the sport than the turbo-charged revolution.

Yo can make a similar case with slicks then, introduced in 1971 by Firestone. That's another huge revolution.

#44 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:20

Bridgestone. Other from FIA trying to slow them down in 2005, they were excellent, not many blow outs, and best part is, can race in the rain. 

#45 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:30

Cant believe Pirelli got some votes!

#46 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:27

I voted Michelin, but really it's a vote for nostalgia and the pre-conservation era.  For me there are three (arguably two, as one could be said to be a subset of the other) major decisions taken by the FIA which have fundamentally altered F1 and made it a lot less of a must watch (for me, personally) than it used to be.  They are, in no particular order, the push for conservation over performance, the introduction of the hybrids, and the tyres.

Focusing on the tyres, I struggle to think of a single thing about the Pirellis that I like, and fundamentally it comes down to the fact that I think a single supplier is just wrong for F1.  I can't stand the amount of management these tyres have and I think the majority of the performance variables we see between drivers these days comes down to how they manage their tyres, not how quick they are.  It's a huge turn-off for me and I much preferred the time when tyres were a means to enhance performance, not restrict it.  So if there were a thread on worst F1 tyre supplier, I'd have Pirelli'\s name at the top, in bold font, all in capitals, underlined and surrounded by flashing lights.  And that's why I voted Michelin, as I remember them as tyres that drivers could really push on and focus just on getting the most out of the car, not on driving to a delta.

#47 Jops14

Jops14

• 512 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:16

Bridgestone, but like others its due to when my first F1 memories come from, and that was 97-99

#48 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 13:36

I did some kwik maffs.

Taking away the races in which each manufacturer was the sole supplier, we get the following:

Avon: 0 wins in 29 races (0%)

Englebert: 12 wins in 66 races (18.2%)

Pirelli: 40 wins in 199 races (20.1%) [210 wins removed]

Dunlop: 35 wins in 127 races (27.6%) [48 wins removed]

Firestone: 38 wins in 111 races (34.2%) [11 wins removed]

Michelin: 99 wins in 212 races (46.7%) [3 wins removed]

Bridgestone: 71 wins ins 140 races (50.7%) [104 wins removed]*

Goodyear: 221 wins in 346 races (63.9%) [147 wins removed]

Continental: 10 wins in 14 races (71.4%)

*Indy '05 was counted!

The correct answer, therefore, is Continental. :p

I strongly believe that Goodyear should be credited with those 147 wins, as they were never the contracted sole supplier as Bridgestone and Pirelli were/are.

It's not Goodyears fault that their tyres were so good that no one wanted to compete with them.

#49 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,672 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 13:56

I strongly believe that Goodyear should be credited with those 147 wins, as they were never the contracted sole supplier as Bridgestone and Pirelli were/are.

It's not Goodyears fault that their tyres were so good that no one wanted to compete with them.

I'd probably go along with that.

But if we're saying there has to be another supplier, there's a massive difference between a competition with two suppliers versus four or five and the wins would all be counted equally.

#50 Derrick

Derrick

• 45 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 13:59

Bridgetone made the best tyres.