- - - - -

F1 personalities and our (warped) perceptions of them

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 16:27

We can never know the people in F1 and only assess them through what we read, hear or see on race coverage or documentaries etc.

So it's interesting how the perceptions of some F1 figures differ within the sport and on this forum.

Whitmarsh has been handed a key role at Aston Martin, who highlight his part in 100+ Grands Prix wins at McLaren yet is often derided on here.

Various personnel in every team are picked apart on here and written off (forums tend to be harsh about most people) yet manage to secure continued employment in the paddock year after year.

So what is it that makes the likes of us so sure about our assessments of people we have never, and will never, meet.

Edited by SophieB, 21 September 2021 - 16:57.

Advertisement

#2 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 17:03

The same way tv characters in dramas seem extremely real, I guess. That’s how I think of them all.

#3 Rumblestrip

Rumblestrip

• 1,452 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 17:33

Politics and "controlling the narrative". Just look at the various comments post Hamilton-Verstappen collisions* on twitter/motorsport media, it's in the drivers/teams interest to ensure their brand is untainted so they need to "drive" the conversation in their direction.

Whereas everyone in the pits talks to everyone else in the pits and knows who is actually worth recruiting. 

IMHO of course.

* Danny Butterman : Hey, why can't we say "accident," again?    Nicholas Angel : Because "accident" implies there's nobody to blame.

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,310 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 17:40

Personally, I’d rather not think about how I’d be perceived if people only saw me at work, and when I was under the most pressure on top of that.

Even without “narrative control” from the media, we’d only be seeing a small part of what makes them who they are.