Photo
- - - - -

Qatar to replace Australia on the 2021 calendar? [Update: confirmed + ten-year deal]

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 19:22

According to Reddit/Twitter, Christian Horner "accidentally" revealed that the Australian GP will be replaced by the Qatar GP on November 21st and that the news should be officially announced tomorrow.

@https://twitter.com/AhmetCirF1/status/1442880090254286848

If that's true, I find it unnecessary, the calendar has enough races already, let alone in petro-dictatures... but "Money is king", right?

Advertisement

#2 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,872 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 19:24

Looks like fun track, albeit not sure it will be good for F1 cars. As for number of races...IMO you cannot have them too many (as far as fun goes, team members need to go to their families ofc)

Edited by TheAviator, 28 September 2021 - 19:24.

#3 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 19:24

According to Reddit/Twitter, Christian Horner "accidentally" revealed that the Australian GP will be replaced by the Qatar GP on November 21st and that the news should be officially announced tomorrow.

If that's true, I find it unnecessary, the calendar has enough races already, let alone in petro-dictatures... but "Money is king", right?

We've known about this for ages. They've just been waiting for a nice gap in the calendar to announce it. Sector 3 will be wild.

Regarding money...given FOM lost over $800M last year, they can do what they want imo.

#4 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 19:40

There was a "TBA" in the revised calendar and pretty much everyone knew this is gonna be it. From what I've heard the race was essentially agreed on weeks ago but they were doing some checks on the track itself if everything is up to required standards. 

#5 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 20:21

I find it exciting that F1 will race on a new track, even if just once. Maybe that makes it even more special. It is good that F1 has had to become a more agile organization making different tracks work instead of a pretty much frozen calendar for several years. Without money being king, we wouldn't have had Mugello, Imola, Turkey, Portimao, high speed Sakhir config last year. Variety is the spice of life.

#6 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,452 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 20:51

FIA does not really care about racing in Dictatorships anymore, #metoo, diversity and equal rights is all around us, soon we have more races in non-democratic nations than democratic.

#7 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,112 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 21:49

Politics aside, Quatar might be pretty interesting with the current F1 cars tho.

Plenty of fast corners & full throttle left-right flicks.

Quite different from Bahrain, despite the similar scenery.

Also the main straight is long enough for overtakings.

#8 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 22:01

I can't believe that some of you do not understand the very basics of running a successful business. I don't run a business, but even I know that you need to keep selling your product and making money to cover your costs, pay your people and have an amount left over to keep your shareholders happy. That is why F1 has so many races and wants more. That is why they are happy to go to ANY country that can host a GP to their satisfaction (irrespective of any political or human rights issues that might be associated with that country)

#9 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,801 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 22:14

I can't believe that some of you do not understand the very basics of running a successful business. I don't run a business, but even I know that you need to keep selling your product and making money to cover your costs, pay your people and have an amount left over to keep your shareholders happy. That is why F1 has so many races and wants more. That is why they are happy to go to ANY country that can host a GP to their satisfaction (irrespective of any political or human rights issues that might be associated with that country)

True, but are they considering the toll on the teams? Whether it's extra PUs, too much work, and so on?  Teams said the triple headers were brutal.  I'm certain we could find, build, or revive 52 circuits to have F1 every single weekend.  :well:   We might even try running Monza on Saturday, and haul the trucks to Imola overnight so we can have 53 races. 

Edited by ARTGP, 28 September 2021 - 22:16.

#10 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 1,473 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 22:46

FIA does not really care about racing in Dictatorships anymore, #metoo, diversity and equal rights is all around us, soon we have more races in non-democratic nations than democratic.

I live in a dictatorship here in Australia so what

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,791 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 22:50

Leaving aside all other considerations, having seen approx 1 million bike races at Qatar I'm sort of interested to see what F1 cars will be like there. Plus, I don't want this Grand Prix season to end.

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,549 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 22:57

I’ll take anything that brings a new circuit to F1, even if it’s just for a one time thing. Without late cancellations we would never have had things like Donington in 1993.

I really want to at least see one GP at the circuit.

#13 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 23:09

Yeah I don't like the place but I'm curious about the circuit.

#14 Chick0

Chick0

• 493 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:22

Will this be a night race?

#15 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,255 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 03:15

Will this be a night race?

Ooohhh Good Idea.
Jp

#16 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 03:40

Love this track for Moto GP, and it was my best course for the Moto GP game. No idea of how it will work for F1, can't wait to find out . As for the suitability of the host country .... if we eliminate dictatorships, and the violators of civil rights, what countries are left?

#17 aray

aray

• 5,827 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:07

Yeah! After all even Trump lead USA once. Bigotry is everywhere nowadays.
Qatar is fantastic as MOTO GP venue.

Edited by aray, 29 September 2021 - 04:08.

#18 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:16

What time do we find out if red Bull are right?

#19 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:21

There are many other ways to run businesses, which involve reducing cost, diversifying income streams, further penetrating existing markets, etc - rather than just piling on sales.

Advertisement

#20 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,272 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:25

I live in a dictatorship here in Australia so what

Way off topic, but you really don’t.

#21 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,290 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:37

Maybe Liberty could create a mini championship within the World Championship and call it the middle east championship? They could have a drivers and constructors points for the middle east races and have a regional sponsor to generate additional income for Liberty. As a well know UK retailer likes to say; every little helps. 

#22 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:51

What time do we find out if red Bull are right?

Well the teams were told months ago. It's not exactly a secret.

Saward today claiming that the announcement will be made tomorrow and that it will be a long term deal, apart from 2022 where Qatar will focus only on the World Cup.

#23 iSpeedFreak

iSpeedFreak

• 88 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:52

Has Christian Horner accidently confirmed Qatar on the calendar?

https://www.autospor...-races/6677810/

Extract from the article:

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner reckons that neither team can be sure of their form anywhere from now on, which makes the outcome of the contest especially difficult to predict.

“I don't think there's any circuits that stand out as strongly as Russia and Monza,” explained Horner.

“For sure Mercedes will be strong in Turkey, they won there last year. But then we start getting to Austin, we should be there or thereabouts, and in Brazil and Mexico, we've always been strong.

“We don't know anything about Qatar, we don't know anything about Jeddah. And then it’s Abu Dhabi.

“So you can say it's 50/50 in what is left on the table, with which favours slightly one team more than the other.”

EDIT: More info on sportykells post and Goron3 has beaten me to the answer  :rotfl:  :clap: 

Edited by iSpeedFreak, 29 September 2021 - 08:54.

#24 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:23

There are many other ways to run businesses, which involve reducing cost, diversifying income streams, further penetrating existing markets, etc - rather than just piling on sales.

Maybe, but it makes no business sense to remove options from your arsenal.

#25 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,549 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:32

So my colleague’s girlfriend works for FOM and travels to every other race in advance to help set things up. She’s got travel booked to Qatar.

#26 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 958 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:46

This is F1's worst-kept secret since Russell to Mercedes.

#27 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 13:03

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: "Increased sales - the worst way to increase income"  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

#28 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 13:12

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: "Increased sales - the worst way to increase income"  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

I have worked with several companies that have strategies of ditching high sales cash cows in favour of selling less, but of premium products at higher prices. It’s a fairly standard strategy in some sectors.

Currently, the main risk to F1 as I see it is that individual races begin to lose their value as the sport sells more and more of them, particularly if one driver is running away with the title, in which case someone could easily skip races 6-18 and the venues could struggle to sell tickets.

Edited by wj_gibson, 29 September 2021 - 13:14.

#29 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 13:32

I have worked with several companies that have strategies of ditching high sales cash cows in favour of selling less, but of premium products at higher prices. It’s a fairly standard strategy in some sectors.

Currently, the main risk to F1 as I see it is that individual races begin to lose their value as the sport sells more and more of them, particularly if one driver is running away with the title, in which case someone could easily skip races 6-18 and the venues could struggle to sell tickets.

But is that risk actually materializing or is this just a theory that does not yet hold true here?

There are many other sports series that have many more events. For example the Premier league has 38 regular season games. MLB 60 games. etc

#30 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 13:36

Qatar? Ughr. That’ll be a tough race to watch even if DRS is well placed. Good for Red Bull though, high DF circuit like that will suit them perfectly.

#31 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 958 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 13:39

For example the Premier league has 38 regular season games. 

...per team. 380 in total.

#32 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,910 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 13:47

Qatar? Ughr. That’ll be a tough race to watch even if DRS is well placed. Good for Red Bull though, high DF circuit like that will suit them perfectly.

Portimao, Barcelona and Hungary are also high downforce. So that doesn't really say anything.

#33 Peat

Peat

• 8,865 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 13:59

Sergio Perez raced there in the GP2 Asia Series in 09. 

It's an RBR conspiracy. 

#34 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 13:59

Portimao, Barcelona and Hungary are also high downforce. So that doesn't really say anything.

All circuits where Hamilton has an exceptional record. I think Zandvoort is a more relevant example of the high DF pecking order given how recent it was.

Anyhow, Qatar? Urgh. What a dreadful circuit for cars.

Edited by Atreiu, 29 September 2021 - 13:59.

#35 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 14:18

Apparently Saudia Arabia is racing against the clock to get the track ready, so I wouldn’t mind another extra race prior to one being possibly cancelled.

#36 iSpeedFreak

iSpeedFreak

• 88 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 14:43

Anyways, I was quite surprised that Dubai wasn't much in contention. I did like that track in Project Cars. Is it because of its close proximity to Yas Marina?

If travelling less was the aim to reduce costs and reduce the infections from covid - then surely Dubai would've been a preferred option over Qatar. Qatar just means an extra flight to board at the end of the season.

Edited by iSpeedFreak, 29 September 2021 - 14:47.

#37 Calum

Calum

• 1,137 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 14:54

Dubai to Yas Marina can’t be closer than Monaco to Circuit Paul Ricard? Maybe similar distance as Spa to Nurburgring?

Surprises me too they’ve never just chucked cash and made it a UAE double header.

#38 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 15:58

Still no update on the matter from the official source F1

#39 Leibowitz

Leibowitz

• 811 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 16:02

Apparently Saudia Arabia is racing against the clock to get the track ready, so I wouldn’t mind another extra race prior to one being possibly cancelled.

Judging by the photos I saw recently, it’s going to be a miracle to finish it in time.

Advertisement

#40 pdac

pdac

• 17,274 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 16:10

It's simple supply and demand. If the pandemic has shown anything, it's that they are right in thinking that the demand to hold F1 races is there. We've seen a number of new venues coming on board. Why would you cut back on sales if there are still more customers there that are interested in buying your product at your already premium price?

#41 RA2

RA2

• 3,019 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 16:44

If they are going to Qatar Lusail, then F1 should look at having the circit modified by running straight from 4 to 7.

#42 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 16:55

If they are going to Qatar Lusail, then F1 should look at having the circit modified by running straight from 4 to 7.

not enough time for extra bits of track of this is true

#43 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,715 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 17:14

I don't recall the GPMasters and other "major" car races at Losail being especially exciting....but they are certainly capable of hosting a race.

#44 taz

taz

• 558 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 17:19

Dubai to Yas Marina can’t be closer than Monaco to Circuit Paul Ricard? Maybe similar distance as Spa to Nurburgring?

Surprises me too they’ve never just chucked cash and made it a UAE double header.

Jeddah is on the other side of the country. It's a 1550km trip (about 1000 miles) from Losail to Jeddah.

And then back to the other side of the country to Yas Marina. Another 1800 km. Could have been better if they went to Jeddah first and then Losail and Yas Marina

#45 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,549 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 17:34

I don't recall the GPMasters and other "major" car races at Losail being especially exciting....but they are certainly capable of hosting a race.

You're one up on me. I don't recall the GP Masters going to Losail at all. I remember Kyalami and Silverstone though.

But hey, looks like someone recorded it at the time.

#46 Anja

Anja

• 10,353 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 17:38

It looks so... empty. Like some simulation where nothing exists outside of the track. 

#47 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 18:13

Dubai is in financial trouble. They do not have cash to throw around.

Edited by Dolph, 29 September 2021 - 18:13.

#48 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,549 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 18:36

As a bit of a bonus for anyone who does watch that GP Masters video, they do the best rolling start I've ever seen in a single-seater race.

#49 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,873 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 19:20

Looks like we might have to wait a little longer on the official side of things as F1 has not said anything today on the matter maybe we get news tommmorw

#50 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,186 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 19:45

not enough time for extra bits of track of this is true

off road section.