• 338 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:32

https://www.autocar....n-positive-2030

Advertisement

#2 BRG

BRG

• 25,900 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:58

COP26 is imminent, let's get some green publicity for the team!   Words are cheap.

#3 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:01

With 400 staff and 100 travelling to 23 races around the world, the consumables, materials and energy consumed by their business and racing activities and those relevant of all their suppliers and fans, I really cannot beleive they can get anywhere close to the equivalent of Williams not existing in terms of their net effect on the global climate. 

(And nor should they)!

#4 jwill189

jwill189

• 2,641 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:19

I read the press release, and unless there is a definable first step being taken today towards that goal, it is more of the same pretend-to-do-something-but-kick-the-can-down-the-road-for-the-next-leader-to-solve feel-good words you hear from any other CEO or politician.

#5 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 4,209 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:24

LOL

#6 CrashPad

CrashPad

• 475 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:43

So Williams F1 will shut their doors by 2030 then.

#7 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 2,725 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:45

So Williams F1 will shut their doors by 2030 then.

Maybe that's when they get renamed.

Steve.

#8 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:55

COP26 is imminent, let's get some green publicity for the team!   Words are cheap.

It's true that words are cheap, but 2030 isn't that far away.

It's close enough that they will need to be planning now for how they're going to make it happen within eight and a half years. They should be in a position to start showing us their progress within a year or two and we should hold them to their words.

Their words should also put pressure on the other teams (as well as other organisations involved in motorsport) to make similar pledges and to start taking action. That's a good thing - pretty much every organisation is going to need to do their part, and seeing that rivals/competitors are taking action is going to be a huge part of what spurs a lot of organisations on!

#9 BRG

BRG

• 25,900 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 14:36

It's true that words are cheap, but 2030 isn't that far away

So get on with it and do it, Herr Capito, and don't waste your, and our, time virtue signalling.

"new moves to preserve the biodiversity of Williams’ 60-acre campus"  Really?  Most of the site is built upon.  There are just three modest grassy areas and fringe of trees.  What is Jost going to introduce?  Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains, maybe?  Words, words and more words...

Edited by BRG, 13 October 2021 - 14:36.

#10 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 14:59

Some prairie grass and Bison would be interesting. That'd also come under "improving access for all"?

#11 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 15:53

They have a railway at the bottom of the garden, will they start using that instead of their fleet of trucks?

#12 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 15:55

So get on with it and do it, Herr Capito, and don't waste your, and our, time virtue signalling.

"new moves to preserve the biodiversity of Williams’ 60-acre campus"  Really?  Most of the site is built upon.  There are just three modest grassy areas and fringe of trees.  What is Jost going to introduce?  Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains, maybe?  Words, words and more words...

Will they be growing their own biofuel?

They built on a green field site, you can see the surrounding farmland disappearing under concrete every year since.

Edited by Rodaknee, 13 October 2021 - 15:56.

#13 BRG

BRG

• 25,900 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 16:51

Yes,, the village of Grove has gradually expanded north until it now abuts onto the Williams site.

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,763 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 17:49

I'm already carbon positive.  I'm always bigging up pencils.

#15 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:14

How many trees would they need to be planting to fulfil their claim? As that's pretty much all I think they will do.

#16 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,653 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:21

Companies want to be carbon negative. Carbon positive is the bad one. The article actually says "climate positive" but to quote some random person from the comments:

"Climate positive" is a meaningless phrase. More greenwash BS. Now if he'd said "Carbon Neutral" or "Carbon negative" that would actually have meant something.

#17 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,183 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:29

Someone should open up a website that tracks all these promises by companies and nations, and then by 2030 sets up a reminder and compares to what was actually done.

Tbh I think these pledges are necessary and I support them, I'm just very skeptical this particular one is anything more than PR nonsense.

#18 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:45

Yes,, the village of Grove has gradually expanded north until it now abuts onto the Williams site.

On land that Williams sold for development...

#19 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:57

How many trees would they need to be planting to fulfil their claim? As that's pretty much all I think they will do.

Planting trees is just offsetting paying a "naughty tax" for PR purposes that corporations have been doing for 25 years. Not sustainable and not realistically any kind of zero sum.

Years ago a brand I worked with used to offset their printing by re-planting trees used. Totally failing to comprehend that the Norwegian paper mill would be doing that anyway, in the same way that a wheat farmer replants their crop. Dur.. 

Advertisement

#20 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:00

It will be windmills and solar panels, and maybe some hybrid trucks.

#21 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:08

Planting trees is just offsetting paying a "naughty tax" for PR purposes that corporations have been doing for 25 years. Not sustainable and not realistically any kind of zero sum.

Years ago a brand I worked with used to offset their printing by re-planting trees used. Totally failing to comprehend that the Norwegian paper mill would be doing that anyway, in the same way that a wheat farmer replants their crop. Dur..

I know its nonsense, but as you say plenty are doing just that to claim green credentials. That includes the FIA who used to claim they were planting trees to offset the air miles.

Edited by Clatter, 14 October 2021 - 10:08.

#22 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:05

When Williams continue their losing ways, they've got their excuses lined up in row.

Here are the buzz words to accompany yesterdays waffle

https://www.williams...LIMATE-POSITIVE

#23 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:12

On land that Williams sold for development...

They'll have to buy another couple of farms to make room for their windmills and solar panels.  I can't get my head around growing crops solely to turn it into fuel.  And fields covered in solar panels can't grow crops.

Which is more deserving of being fed, an SUV in the United States or a malnourished villager in a developing nation?

https://www.ecopedia...r-fuel-or-food/

Edited by Rodaknee, 14 October 2021 - 12:12.

#24 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,230 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 14:27

Every post in this thread is negative and clearly thinks it is nothing more than PR apart from the Autosport staffer whose job depends on it. If this is the general consensus then maybe F1 teams should stay quiet  or find more appropriate subjects for their PR team to put out. If we really want to save the planet then F1, and most other sports will cease to exist. 

#25 pdac

pdac

• 17,122 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 14:31

If an F1 team wants to save the planet, then the best thing for them to do would be to shut up shop. But, really, it's not for everyone to save the planet - it's for key components to change and the world has no appetite to tackle those key things. I don't know why individuals have to pretend that they are doing their bit.