• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 20:13

Has died following a motorcycle accident

https://www.bikespor...-smart-has-died

I remember him from Mallory Park, said good luck and 10 minutes later he'd broken both legs at the hairpin.

Advertisement

#2 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,724 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 21:01

Terrible news.  :cry:

#3 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 04:14

Sad news, condolences to friends and family.

RIP Paul.

#4 StanN

StanN

• 33 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 21:44

Very sad news.  I first met Paul in 1965 when we were both entered in a clubman’s event at Mallory, both of us on 125cc Bultaco TSS’. Mine managed to nip up in the morning practice and my wife and I were working on cleaning up the piston and cylinder when Paul came over to help. We got the bike together in time for the race where I finished but Paul’s bike seized!

It was soon after this that Paul, and his friend John Button who also had a TSS, decided to sell their bikes and jointly buy a Honda CR93, which they took turns in riding. This turned the tide in Paul’s racing fortunes and led to his successful racing career.

I spent some time reminiscing with Paul at Pukekohe in 2007 where he was one of the guests of honour, while we were on a trip to NZ. He always seemed to take the time to chat with people and told me he was still in touch with many of the racers from the 60s, including Grant Gibson, Gibo as he called him, who I had bought my air-cooled, 4 speed TSS from in 1965 when he was upgrading to a water-cooled, 6 speed model.

In 2010, Paul came over to Canada as the guest of honour at the VRRA Vintage Festival at Mosport and, when he wasn’t signing autographs, spent time wandering around the paddock talking to the competitors before handing out the trophies at the end of racing on Sunday, always with a smile and a laugh.

To lose his life in a street accident is tragic after his many years of racing. Sincere condolences to Maggie and their son and daughter.

RIP Paul

#5 Rodaknee

Rodaknee

• 2,178 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 03:31

Guilty plea after killing Paul Smart with a stupid and dangerous U turn.

https://www.visordow...eath-paul-smart

#6 billlawrence

billlawrence

• 165 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 04:13

what a terrible waste of a top man