* * * * * 2 votes

2021 Mexican GP build up

• Please log in to reply
1015 replies to this topic

#1 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 00:33

Five races remain in this thrilling F1 season, and the paddocks' North American adventure brings us south of the border, and high in the sky, to Mexico City for the start of a geographically challenging triple-header that will see the teams clock over 19,000km in three weeks, with Brazil and Qatar swiftly following.

Just the regulation 305km awaits the drivers this weekend, at the unique Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez - 2,250m (7,380ft) above sea level, better suited to a Cessna than a racecar. But who will be on cloud nine come Sunday evening?

It's Round 18 of the 2021 Formula One World Championship.

MexicoOP.jpg

The Circuit

Track.png

The Title Battle - advantage Max?

MaxLewis.jpg

After Verstappen's heroic final stint in Austin, he turned what could've been a 2pt deficit into a 12pt lead, a swing that may prove decisive in his championship bid. A lead he can now build on at a track historically suited to driver, car and engine. Two years ago he talked his way out of pole position, so far this year he's done all of his talking on the track. But don't forget Hamilton won this race in 2019, and this season has taught us to expect the unexpected. Mercedes on the back foot, an unfavourable circuit, shades of Singapore 2017, 18?

Just how will the altitude affect the competitive order? Bottas claims the Mercedes engine is better "optimised" than in previous years, and it's fair to say there have been plenty of architecture tweaks over the last 24 months that may have neutralised Honda's assumed lead. Plus, how will the temperamental Red Bull fare at the extreme end of its downforce spec? A must-win for Max, or a must-not-lose? Another ICE penalty for Lewis? And what about a certain second Red Bull driver ...

Checo's Homecoming

Checo.jpg

Sergio returns to Mexico as a two-time race winner, and for the first time driving machinery that gives him a chance to win his home race, if he's allowed to. His race pace in Sochi, racecraft in Turkey and one-lap speed in Austin all point at a marked improvement in form, culminating at the perfect time to put on a show in front of his adoring fans. On season form, the rear-limited nature of the track should suit him, but he'll have to pull out every last tenth to match Verstappen. Buena suerte!

The Ferrari Factor

Ferrari.jpg

Mexico celebrates the Day of the Dead holiday this week - will Ferrari be celebrating Day of the Red on Sunday? The altitude will neutralise their ICE weakness and emphasise their upgraded ERS, which is probably the best on the grid. The track layout and frequency of short, slow corners is something we haven't seen in months, and should really suit their chassis, just like it did in Monaco and Baku qualifying, but will it be enough to gatecrash the title battle? Dark (prancing) horses.

Elsewhere ...

The Scuderia's chief rivals, McLaren, will have their hands full in the midfield. Ricciardo's Texas Turnaround hinted at real progress, but the challenges of Mexico City are wholly different and may revive the difficulties that have haunted him for the majority of the season. Just 3.5 points separate the two teams, as the fight for third in the constructors' heats up.

Both Alpine and Alpha Tauri should take a competitive step thanks to their altitude-suited PU, and remember Alonso's engine is nearly brand new after being introduced last time out. Both will be aiming to ruffle feathers upfront, but with a keen eye on their own private battle. Tsunoda's timely points score in Austin closed the gap to just ten points. Gasly's strong season has tailed off slightly, with two DNFs and one non-score in the last four races. Alpine, too, has gone off the boil, after their streak of scoring in fifteen consecutive weekends came to a juddering halt with a double-DNF in America. It's getting scrappy.

Aston Martin's quiet P7 WCC looks plenty secure, and Vettel's stirring drive from the back at CoTA was a welcome boost after a poor run of form for the German. The green machine has overperformed at the outlier tracks so far, P5 Monaco, P2 Baku, P2 Hungary, P7 Monza, so there's potential for another surprise result.

A frustrating, if not typical, near-miss in Austin consigned Alfa Romeo to another non-score. Their Sunday speed was encouraging and can be built on this weekend at a track that should mask their engine disadvantage, having not fitted the new Ferrari ERS package. One lap pace on Saturday remains a big concern, and with overtaking rather difficult at this track, a weakness that needs to be addressed. The Andretti buyout is off and so all ears remain firmly pointed in the direction of news regarding the second seat.

Williams and Haas round off the grid with little in the way of expectation. Latifi, Schumacher and Mazepin race in Mexico for the first time. Russell's Williams departure edges closer, another shock points score would be a welcome send-off.

Weather, Tyres

(.gif)

Spoiler

Fri - Dry, 23c
Sat - Dry, 23c
Sun - Dry, 23c

Pirelli-Mexico.jpg

Not exactly a strategic thriller, although the two-year absence may throw some curveballs. The same compounds as 2019, which produced a standard one-stop for most. With the compacted field, qualifying on the Medium in Q2 will be tricky, but crucial.

Tyre pressures: 19.5 psi (front) | 19.5 psi (rear)
Fronts -2.0 psi versus 2019, rears +0.5 psi.

Schedule

It's another late start for Europe. Clocks go back Sunday morning in the US/Canada, which I think I've adjusted for (please let me know if I have made a mistake).

PDT/PST  MDT/MST  CDT/CST  EDT/EST  --   GMT     CET 
FP1     1030     1130     1230     1330     --   1730    1830
FP2     1400     1500     1600     1700     --   2100    2200
FP3     1000     1100     1200     1300     --   1700    1800
Q       1300     1400     1500     1600     --   2000    2100
R       1100     1200     1300     1400     --   1900    2000

Time zone conversion here.

Formula 4 NACAM, Freightliner GTM and Carrera Panamerica supporting. Full schedule.

--

Thoughts, predictions, turbocharger size comparisons, premature championship declarations, calaca designs and altitude-related puns all welcome below ... :wave:

Edited by TomNokoe, 04 November 2021 - 01:02.

Advertisement

#2 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,194 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 00:35

Muchas Gracias.

Jp

#3 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,536 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 01:08

Great race thread, Tom!  Many thanks!!

#4 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,635 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 02:10

Thinking ahead of a little bit....

There has been contact on lap 1 turn 1 in Mexico between cars in the top 4 in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019  :smoking:

Make of that what you will. I'm confident there will not be a dull moment this weekend.

Edited by ARTGP, 04 November 2021 - 02:21.

#5 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:19

There has been contact on lap 1 turn 1 in Mexico between cars in the top 4 in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019  :smoking:

Make of that what you will. I'm confident there will not be a dull moment this weekend.

Yeah, I think T1 will be a key talking point this year as well. If Max and Hamilton touch going into T2 the internet will explode.

#6 Arska

Arska

• 947 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 03:45

It's not that I like Max, I don't. I'm just ready to have a Non-Mercedes champion.

Also I'm enjoying the brutal duel.

#7 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:09

Thanks Tom, excellent opening post. Looking forward to a great battle between McLaren and Ferrari. I hope the broadcast does this fight for "Best of the Rest" justice. I also hope that the first lap doesn't cost us a continued championship battle.

#8 keshav

keshav

• 2,732 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 05:25

Seems like Ferrari is gunning for a win here!

#9 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,617 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:10

I hate it when we have two DRS zones with a single detection point. I can't understand why it's done and in many cases it really kills the chances of the driver being overtaken.

#10 Cliff

Cliff

• 2,086 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:25

Lap 1 T1 is already giving me nightmares. Pole actually seems to be a curse here, just like Sochi.

#11 Astandahl

Astandahl

• 5,575 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:48

The start is pretty much a lottery in Mexico :rotfl:

#12 Paa

Paa

• 1,381 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:25

Do we know what gave Red Bull their historical advantage around here?

1. Was it mostly engine due to different turbo?

2. Or was it rather aero? Maybe the way they generate downforce is more effective in high altitude? So they don't loose as much as others?

Was this discussed or confirmed by someone reliable?

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:28

Nice OP, thanks Tom. Love the picnic tables adjacent to the stadium chicane.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:29

2. Or was it rather aero? Maybe the way they generate downforce is more effective in high altitude? So they don't loose as much as others?

Mark Hughes says it's because the Honda's turbo is able to spin at higher speeds than the Mercedes, meaning it's better at packing in the thinner air at high altitude.

That's not ruling out an aero advantage but the turbo is apparently the decisive factor. It's hard to criticize Mercedes' design too much given the success of their engine since 2014.

#15 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,870 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:33

I think its more duo to thin air meaning you bring max DF and you are not as penalized on straights as in lower altitudes therefore whoever has most DF benefits the most, while those with weaker engines are penalized less (so RB in both cases)

#16 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:37

That chicane must be one of the best worst places in the calendar.

Absolutely atrocious mickey-mouse bullshit complex when it comes to racing. Absolutely incredible atmosphere around the place which is quickly becoming a bit iconic.

#17 Kleli

Kleli

• 460 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:49

With everyone saying how much this will be a Red Bull track I'm fully expecting Merc to win this weekend.

#18 Laptom

Laptom

• 2,343 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:50

I think its more duo to thin air meaning you bring max DF and you are not as penalized on straights as in lower altitudes therefore whoever has most DF benefits the most, while those with weaker engines are penalized less (so RB in both cases)

I think it is indeed more aero related that the RB benefitted in 2019 with Honda, than actual the engine itself. The years RB won (2017 & 2018) the car was equipped with the Renault engine.

#19 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,473 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:00

Being a maximum downforce circuit, Mexico seems to favour high rake cars. As a result, since 2017 the low rake Mercedes has never looked amazing round here compared to say Silverstone or Suzuka.

I predict a Monaco-like race, with Max taking a comfortable win and Lewis struggling to score big points.

Advertisement

#20 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:12

Mark Hughes says it's because the Honda's turbo is able to spin at higher speeds than the Mercedes, meaning it's better at packing in the thinner air at high altitude.

That's not ruling out an aero advantage but the turbo is apparently the decisive factor. It's hard to criticize Mercedes' design too much given the success of their engine since 2014.

The Red Bulls have been quick here with both Honda's and Renaults. In 2018, Max lapped the 2nd best Renault twice. In Austria this year, the Red Bull went quick, but the Alpha Tauri wasn't that special. So I would say it is more aero related.

#21 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,621 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:24

Wonder if Leclerc could give Max a decision to make at T1 on L1.

#22 TheAviator

TheAviator

• 2,870 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:28

Wonder if Leclerc could give Max a decision to make at T1 on L1.

Of course he won't, he won't battle top car in T1 because he has no hope to keep them behind. At least not Max or (probably) Lewis.

#23 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,445 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 15:41

It never ceases to amaze me that the quality of build up OTs both F1 and Indycar are so high. Merely saying "Thank You" for the time and effort put in by the poster(s) seem inadequate.

Thank you.

#24 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,635 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 15:45

I predict a Monaco-like race, with Max taking a comfortable win and Lewis struggling to score big points.

Way too pessimistic about Merc's chances imo. I won't be surprised if the gap is just a tenth or two one way or the other. In theory it should suit RB, but the form books have been all over the place.

Edited by ARTGP, 04 November 2021 - 15:46.

#25 vlado

vlado

• 3,999 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 15:49

Seems like Ferrari is gunning for a win here!

4th place tops  :up:

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 16:38

That chicane must be one of the best worst places in the calendar.

Absolutely atrocious mickey-mouse bullshit complex when it comes to racing. Absolutely incredible atmosphere around the place which is quickly becoming a bit iconic.

I don’t know why they didn’t just use the configuration Champ Car used through there. Same atmosphere but not as stupidly slow.

#27 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 16:52

I hope Merc surprises everyone here and goes quickest with a barn door rear wing aided by the "active" suspension and a better suited engine, which should be fastest on the straight, especially with DRS.

Like a reverse Austin.

It's no fun when the team you expect to be fastest goes on and runs fastest.

#28 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,606 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 17:04

Yeah it's awesome. That was Hellmund's idea - as was taking the podium out there to the people.

#29 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,606 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 17:07

Absolutely incredible atmosphere around the place which is quickly becoming a bit iconic.

It really is amazing. Best Friday and Saturday crowds I've ever seen, every year that it's been back on the calendar. I expect them to continue the trend and get another ~350K or more for the weekend.

Edited by AustinF1, 04 November 2021 - 17:10.

#30 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,606 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 17:09

I don’t know why they didn’t just use the configuration Champ Car used through there. Same atmosphere but not as stupidly slow.

F.I.A.

That's why. They actually wanted to use the Peraltada, but FIA. Then they tried the ChampCar config, but FIA.

#31 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,617 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 17:09

I think they made it extremely slow on purpose, in order to have cars spend more time in the stadium.

#32 Anja

Anja

• 10,309 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 17:16

I think they made it extremely slow on purpose, in order to have cars spend more time in the stadium.

Yeah, I think that was the reasoning given back when it was first introduced and I guess it makes some sense. The question is, is it really more attractive for the fans to see F1 cars for longer but crawling at slow speed?

Edited by Anja, 04 November 2021 - 17:26.

#33 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,228 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 18:14

It never ceases to amaze me that the quality of build up OTs both F1 and Indycar are so high. Merely saying "Thank You" for the time and effort put in by the poster(s) seem inadequate.

Thank you.

I agree 100%.
Very proffesional OT:s by forumers.

#34 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,606 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 18:19

Yeah, I think that was the reasoning given back when it was first introduced and I guess it makes some sense. The question is, is it really more attractive for the fans to see F1 cars for longer but crawling at slow speed?

The FIA added the chicane bit in order to keep speeds low when passing under the stadium and exiting onto the Peraltada.

They did it for the same reason that they won't let them use the full Peraltada - lack of space for runoff on the outside.

Edited by AustinF1, 04 November 2021 - 18:21.

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 18:58

F.I.A.

That's why. They actually wanted to use the Peraltada, but FIA. Then they tried the ChampCar config, but FIA.

That’s not an answer to why. That’s an answer to who. The full Peraltada would have been suicidal, given that the minuscule runoff that had existed in 1992 had fully disappeared by 2002 when CART turned up. But the simple left hander in the stadium would have been sufficient.

Edit: So if the lack of runoff leaving the stadium is the reason why, then that’s not the FIA’s fault, but the circuit owners removing the runoff.

#36 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,473 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 20:57

I've got to admit, I'm not a huge fan of this circuit despite the brilliant atmosphere.

Of all the classic circuits that got made into modern tracks, it's the one that got butchered the most. The stadium section is so clumsy and turns 4-6 are so slow and cumbersome. I wish the older layout was incorporated more.

With overtaking always tough here, I expect a clean weekend for Red Bull could see them finish with both cars on the podium.

#37 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 21:00

It's no fun when the team you expect to be fastest goes on and runs fastest.

After 8 years, I think everybody agrees. :D

#38 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,606 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 21:25

That’s not an answer to why. That’s an answer to who. The full Peraltada would have been suicidal, given that the minuscule runoff that had existed in 1992 had fully disappeared by 2002 when CART turned up. But the simple left hander in the stadium would have been sufficient.

Edit: So if the lack of runoff leaving the stadium is the reason why, then that’s not the FIA’s fault, but the circuit owners removing the runoff.

I thought the 'why' was obvious. It's because the FIA doesn't want cars going fast through the Peraltada, and they don't want them going fast on the exit to the Peraltada from under the stadium, because of the same lack of runoff space.

And the circuit didn't remove the runoff. The city squeezed in a major highway outside the Peraltada. That's what removed the space outside the circuit there. You can see it easily on Google Maps. The divided highway is 10-12 lanes wide and the nearest lane sits just about 75 feet from the Peraltada wall.

Edited by AustinF1, 04 November 2021 - 21:33.

#39 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,606 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 21:27

Sold out all 3 days, btw...

Staging an F1 race is like a Coldplay concert says Mexican GP promoter https://www.motorspo...omoter/6734768/

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 21:35

I thought the 'why' was obvious. It's because the FIA doesn't want cars going fast through the Peraltada, and they don't want them going fast on the exit to the Peraltada from under the stadium, because of the same lack of runoff space.

And the circuit didn't remove the runoff. The city squeezed in a major highway outside the Peraltada. That's what removed the space outside the circuit there. You can see it easily on Google Maps. The divided highway is 10-12 lanes wide and the nearest lane sits just about 75 feet from the Peraltada wall.

So actually, it's nothing to do with the FIA other than the FIA have safety standards.

#41 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 21:59

They haven't won there with Honda. Honda plays no part in any advantage they have previously enjoyed.

Edited by Clatter, 04 November 2021 - 22:02.

#42 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,635 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 22:06

They haven't won there with Honda. Honda plays no part in any advantage they have previously enjoyed.

They set the fastest lap of qualifying in 2019 with Honda. So that does bode well. Especially considering that 2019 was the year of engines modes (which Ferrari/Merc had) and Honda didn't really have. Honda were down 30-40hp at sea-level that year.

Edited by ARTGP, 04 November 2021 - 22:23.

#43 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,727 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 23:44

They set the fastest lap of qualifying in 2019 with Honda. So that does bode well. Especially considering that 2019 was the year of engines modes (which Ferrari/Merc had) and Honda didn't really have. Honda were down 30-40hp at sea-level that year.

Maybe, but their "historic advantage" was gained using the Renault PU.

#44 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,606 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 00:12

So actually, it's nothing to do with the FIA other than the FIA have safety standards.

I'm not sure what issue you're taking with those posts, other than to be hyper-pedantic. Nothing I said there is incorrect. It seems that you just don't like the way I stated it. Yes, the FIA has safety standards, and yes, they are who you have to go to to get your track design homologated. I didn't spoon-feed info to the readers, as we've had the same kinds of conversations re: the FIA safety/runoff standards hundreds of times, and I give the readers enough credit to take it a step farther & understand the FIA's typical motivations for changing track design, which very often centers on speed in a turn vs available runoff.

#45 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 00:14

Maybe, but their "historic advantage" was gained using the Renault PU.

They'v recently been generally stronger at the altitude tracks than the Merc has been, with both Renault and Honda.

#46 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,606 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 03:19

Apparently Checo did a show run in front of 100K fans a couple of days ago...

Red Bull’s Perez heads home to adoring crowd in Mexico City https://www.centreda...e255535721.html

#47 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 07:27

I'm not sure what issue you're taking with those posts, other than to be hyper-pedantic. Nothing I said there is incorrect. It seems that you just don't like the way I stated it. Yes, the FIA has safety standards, and yes, they are who you have to go to to get your track design homologated. I didn't spoon-feed info to the readers, as we've had the same kinds of conversations re: the FIA safety/runoff standards hundreds of times, and I give the readers enough credit to take it a step farther & understand the FIA's typical motivations for changing track design, which very often centers on speed in a turn vs available runoff.

It's precisely the way you stated it that I take issue with. I was curious as to why the circuit has a terrible section when a better one existed in the past. An answer about how there was insufficient runoff leaving the stadium requiring a slower corner than in the past would have been a great. Far more useful than your original answer of "FIA" which didn't answer the question at all, and just came across as the typical attack on the FIA for doing something unpopular.

#48 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 08:57

Am I wrong that this is first time that a Mexican driver has a car to challenge for the win in Mexico on merit?

And do we have any Mexican members?     .... aside from the one chap who updates us on SP now and then?

(I havnt been in the what would Rebull do if SP is leading MV? thread ... so sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere on the forum)

#49 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:05

Am I wrong that this is first time that a Mexican driver has a car to challenge for the win in Mexico

Depends on how competitive you think Pedro Rodriquez’ cars were in his time.

#50 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 09:16

Depends on how competitive you think Pedro Rodriquez’ cars were in his time.

Not competitive, he never came close.