Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Five races to go...who wins it?

• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

Poll: This year's F1 champion will be? (273 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think will win the WDC?

1. Verstappen (191 votes [70.22%])

Percentage of vote: 70.22%

2. Hamilton (81 votes [29.78%])

Percentage of vote: 29.78%

Who do you want to win the WDC?

1. Verstappen (147 votes [54.04%])

Percentage of vote: 54.04%

2. Hamilton (94 votes [34.56%])

Percentage of vote: 34.56%

3. No preference (31 votes [11.40%])

Percentage of vote: 11.40%

Who do you think will win the WCC?

1. Red Bull Racing (67 votes [25.19%])

Percentage of vote: 25.19%

2. Mercedes (199 votes [74.81%])

Percentage of vote: 74.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,959 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:55

With the last five races taking place over the next six weeks, the 2021 Formula One World Championship is now in its closing stages. And, unusually (at least in recent history) the championship is still very much to play for between the two leading contenders. So, my questions to you are simple: who do you think will prevail, and who do you want to? 

I'll have to be perfectly honest that after last year, I had very low expectations coming in to this year. I thought it would be a cakewalk for Lewis and Mercedes, frankly, and at numerous points through the year I've felt that it was only a matter of time before they returned to all-conquering form and cantered to yet another championship with ease. So, for it to still be all to play for at this stage is a pleasant surprise. 

Despite not being a huge Verstappen fan, I've made no secret over the fact that I'd prefer to see him win. After so many years of the same outcome, it would be nice to see a new champion crowned. And, for another more personal reason too: as a Schumacher fan, it would be great to see one of Michael's last records preserved...for another year, at least. 

So, to summarise, I'd like to see Verstappen win, but still fear with a sense of weary inevitability, that Hamilton will. But what do you think?

Feel free to chip in with who you think/want to win the WCC also, if you like. Unfortunately I'm unable to add this to the poll, as I've run out of questions.  :lol:

Edited by Ivanhoe, 04 November 2021 - 08:21.

Advertisement

#2 danmills

danmills

• 3,173 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:05

Want Max, believe Lewis will win.

Though we've never truly seen Lewis under this level of title threat bar Rosberg so it'll be an interesting dynamic.

His maturity will steer him well, but I do think cracks will appear. I have a feeling we may even see at least one more Prost / Senna big off, hopefully not one that leaves the winner in controversy.

It's going to be incredible.

#3 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:17

Mercedes is rumored to push Hamilton's engine further to secure the title. I think/hope his luck will finally run out and it will end in a massive bang and a grid penalty.

#4 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,679 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:22

Feel free to chip in with who you think/want to win the WCC also, if you like. Unfortunately I'm unable to add this to the poll, as I've run out of questions.  :lol:

WCC question added to the poll JH. On a general note, this thread has the potential to get toxic, let's keep it civilized in here please.

#5 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,323 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:28

Want Verstappen to win but it comes with a health warning because we could end up being just as sick of him winning all the time as many of us have been with Lewis winning all the time.

#6 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,850 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:39

I want Max to win, and I think he will do it as he needs to more wins and I think that should be enough.

My big fear is that an engine blow or a crash will decide the title; I really want it to be a clean end to the season, as this title fight deserves a winner who fans can't debate was "lucky" for the next 20 years.

#7 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:39

Only Mercedes huge engine spending this year is going to stop Verstappen from his first WDC

#8 hamilton10000

hamilton10000

• 684 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:42

I'm one of the few on here who want Lewis to win. I want to believe he's going to do it, but from where I'm sitting, all the data from this season so far, and historical data of the remaining tracks. I just can't look past Max.

The only time he's finished outside of the top 2 all season is when he's dnfed and Hungary where he was wiped out at the start.
No reason imo for him to suddenly become a lot less consistent. And if he finishes top 2 in the final 5, I cannot see any way he doesn't win the title

#9 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:49

Hamilton 

Hamilton 

Mercedes

This isnt over yet...

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,523 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:08

I really want Verstappen to win it. Not because I’m a particular fan of his, or because I particularly dislike Hamilton, but because F1 desperately needs a new champion and yet another Lewis championship would be terrible.

I think Max is going to be able to do it too. As long as he’s a bit smart and looks after his points lead, he should be ok.

#11 balage06

balage06

• 3,108 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:19

I think Max will be WDC, but Merc will be WCC.

#12 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:21

I really want Verstappen to win it. Not because I’m a particular fan of his, or because I particularly dislike Hamilton, but because F1 desperately needs a new champion and yet another Lewis championship would be terrible.

I think Max is going to be able to do it too. As long as he’s a bit smart and looks after his points lead, he should be ok.

Yeah I've never been a fan of Max, yet I've ended up supporting him this year, just want someone new to win, regardless of who it is.

#13 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:26

Anything can happen, although with the tracks coming up coupled with Merc's strategic weakness and creeping engine issues you would have to see Max as favourite. He has been solid all season too whereas Lewis has stuttered a bit to get his season properly going.

I can understand too why most wish to see Max win; finally breaking the Lewis stranglehold that they had hoped for 'one of us ' Vettel to accomplish only to see fall apart in a pile of broken bodywork and spins. A new champ in general is also good for the sport. It's the natural path of f1 with a new generation challenging the old guard. Max has looked the most likely for a few years now.

Still, unfashionably, I'd like to see Lewis win. But losing to a generational talent like Max would not quite have the same sting as losing to a Massa. He is the right guy to lose the crown to...

#14 shure

shure

• 9,738 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:27

I still have a feeling that the Merc have a better car at this point and that Austin was an anomaly because they had to compromise their ride height after FP1, but that could just be the pessimist in me talking.  I'm happy enough that things are so unpredictable, but I hope the final races stay that way and don't come down to car superiority in the end.

I don't think anyone can be really confident of the outcome, given the season we've had.  If no-one has issues, then I think it's another Merc win, but since issues have been the story of the season so far it's anybody's guess.

I find it interesting that Lewis has only managed a single double win, while Max has had one double and one treble.  So if that pattern of variable winners continues the last five races will be nail biting stuff.

#15 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:38

Think: don't know, 60:40 Max, but as the season has wore on I've come to realise Max is just as human as the rest of them. Not in terms of errors or anything, but just as a driver and person. Is he in unchartered territory now?

I think as push comes to shove, Mercedes and Lewis will find an extra half gear, but it mightn't be enough.

Want: Lewis - of course, the idea of him charging back to protect his crown, just as the F1 world was starting to think Verstappen had it sealed, wow what a feeling, what a story. It is not over!

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,523 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:45

As an addendum to my post above, I’d hope that of the 5 races left, no more than two are won by either Max or Lewis.

#17 Dara

Dara

• 212 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:55

I'd say the real winner will be the neutral fan.

#18 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:12

I would expect at least one coming together like Silverstone or Monza; possibly another rear-gunner activity like in Hungary as well.

#19 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:16

It would be a disaster. Maybe even a farce.

Advertisement

#20 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,280 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:17

My only hope is that we avoid an incident that decides (or contributes largely to the outcome of) the championship and leaves a sour taste in the mouth. If we can get a nail-biting run to the flag in Abu Dhabi, all the better.

#21 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:21

I'd quite like to see Lewis steal it, but the real answer is that they've both been fabulous and I mostly just don't want either to screw it up and decide the championship by driving into each other. But even then, if that's the way it goes, we'll find a way of absorbing it into the stories we tell about 2021.

It's been a banner year for F1 that's had me looking forward to races during midweek for the first time in quite a few years.

In terms of who will win it, I think Red Bull have enough intrinsic car advantage and Max Verstappen seems to be driving out of his skin without making the kind of mistakes that can easily derail a title challenge. I'm a little concerned about the Mercedes' reliability and quite often Lewis seems to be starting races at a disadvantage, either because Max has beaten him in qualifying or because the car doesn't seem to suit the circuit. Perez and Bottas seem about equal as number twos. So I dunno, if you replayed the run-in 10 times, Verstappen might win 7-8 times. The margins are close enough that the title could be decided by random (mis)fortune of course.

#22 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,038 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:27

I'd say the real winner will be the neutral fan.

I hope so, since I am one.

Being 57 years old rather than 17, I haven't had "favourites" for a long time. But I did support Niki Lauda and Gilles Villeneuve in my youth so I'm in no position to criticise anyone else's choice.

That said, the two sides of the current rivalry seem to be particularly ready to get the knives out. The vast majority of the race threads this season have been unreadable.

Whether "your guy" wins or loses genuinely doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. A few short months and they start again anyway.

#23 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,073 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:29

As a huge admirer of Hamilton and Verstappen, and of the technical brilliance of both Mercedes and Red Bull, I'd like Jean Todt to act as any mum would at a chidren's birthday party, and give them both a prize.

#24 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,586 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:31

I think Max. A 12pt lead is a lot to overcome in 5 races. With Mexico being a real bogey track for Merc, and a happy hunting ground for RBR, there's a decent chance Max is sat on a 23pt lead, with 4 races to go, come Sunday evening. I just don't see that being overhauled with the two teams so close.

I want Lewis. Been a fan since Australia 2007 turn 1, so of course I want him to win it. I have to say that whichever way this goes, it's a fairytale IMO. You either get one of the best ever taking the record for most WDCs ever, in fine style in a fantastically tight championship up against a driver who will become (IMO) one of the all time greats. Or you get one of the future all time greats getting himself off the mark WDC-wise in fine style, taking down one of the best ever in a fantastically tight championship. Either result, we're seeing history in the making IMO - this one will go down as a big one, whatever happens. And that's fantastic for us fans, and for F1.

#25 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:50

I think Max. A 12pt lead is a lot to overcome in 5 races. With Mexico being a real bogey track for Merc, and a happy hunting ground for RBR, there's a decent chance Max is sat on a 23pt lead, with 4 races to go, come Sunday evening. I just don't see that being overhauled with the two teams so close.

I want Lewis. Been a fan since Australia 2007 turn 1, so of course I want him to win it. I have to say that whichever way this goes, it's a fairytale IMO. You either get one of the best ever taking the record for most WDCs ever, in fine style in a fantastically tight championship up against a driver who will become (IMO) one of the all time greats. Or you get one of the future all time greats getting himself off the mark WDC-wise in fine style, taking down one of the best ever in a fantastically tight championship. Either result, we're seeing history in the making IMO - this one will go down as a big one, whatever happens. And that's fantastic for us fans, and for F1.

12 points is one 4th place vs a win. That is nothing. The non-points hit Verstappen hard, otherwise he could be planning where to win it. ;)

But I really want Max to win it. I want to see the no 1 present on a car on the grid next year. I really miss that.

#26 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:53

Even a 23 points lead would only require another Silverstone...

#27 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:54

12 points is one 4th place vs a win. That is nothing. The non-points hit Verstappen hard, otherwise he could be planning where to win it.  ;)

But I really want Max to win it. I want to see the no 1 present on a car on the grid next year. I really miss that.

People actually miss that?  27 is an iconic number, as is 5...  Given the past umpteen years nobody has been able to actually see any numbers on the car this always surprises me.  Max is 33.  I hope he keeps it.  

#28 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:57

Who I think will win? My gut is telling me Hamilton will, like it's some sort of inevitability. Probably partially based on getting used to it recently, and partially on me not wanting it.

It's really hard to call anyway as races often don't go as straight forward as we initially think they will, and small details can have a large impact on what ultimately matters: points.

Who do I want to win? Max. Do I want Max to now go on and win several championships in a row? Definitely not. But I do want him to win this one, for three reasons:

1) Good for the sport to have a new champion. I think the sport is in desperate need for it. And it would sort of be a perfect story. Generational talent of previous generation meets generational talent of new generation. A change in powers. Kinda like 2006, but then an even better story as Max hasn't already won a championship the year earlier.

2) Max is the right driver to win a championship. He's already performing at this incredibly high level for 3 years now and fully deserves this success instead of just an odd win here and there.

3) Max has driven better than Lewis so far this season. Lewis hasn't performed at the level he's had the previous 4 seasons. Had their performances been the other way around then I'd probably root for Lewis to win it, in spite of point 1 & 2. Because ultimately it wouldn't feel good to me to root for a driver to win the championship who I think has done a worse job and therefore deserves it less.

#29 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:13

People actually miss that?  27 is an iconic number, as is 5...  Given the past umpteen years nobody has been able to actually see any numbers on the car this always surprises me.  Max is 33.  I hope he keeps it.  

The world champion has the only right to number 1 and it is an honor to have it. But that's me. I'm used to see champions carry it. My OCD really hurts when I see the no 1 in F2 on some lowly backmarker like Galeal last year.

#30 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:13

I'm not a fan of either driver but for the first time ever I'm rooting for Hamilton to win the title. My issue with the past few years has been the lack of a title fight, particularly with drivers from more than one team, and not because it was the same guy winning all the time so I wouldn't mind Lewis winning again.

Having said that I think Max will win. First and second place have been dominated by Max/Lewis all season long and I expect that to be the case in the final 5 races barring any incidents/reliability as I can't see Perez/Bottas outpacing either of those two.

Assuming Max/Lewis are either 1st/2nd and setting aside the points for fastest lap and the sprint race, Hamilton needs to win two more times to get back into the lead. To come out on top, he would then need to win 2 more races irrespective of Max winning the remaining race. I honestly can't see Hamilton winning 4 out of 5 races when he's only had 5 wins thus far. Had they scored that near-certain win in Turkey then it would have made it more comfortable I think.

The only way I see Hamilton winning (beyond crashes or reliability) is if Mercedes/Bottas are fast as they were in Turkey and they score at least one 1-2 or if McLaren are able to get in between Mercedes/Red Bull to take away points from Max.

I also feel Max deserves it more this year as he has been flawless.

Edited by KavB, 04 November 2021 - 11:15.

#31 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,181 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:22

I hope so, since I am one.

Being 57 years old rather than 17, I haven't had "favourites" for a long time. But I did support Niki Lauda and Gilles Villeneuve in my youth so I'm in no position to criticise anyone else's choice.

That said, the two sides of the current rivalry seem to be particularly ready to get the knives out. The vast majority of the race threads this season have been unreadable.

Whether "your guy" wins or loses genuinely doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. A few short months and they start again anyway.

Like hell it doesn't.

I look fondly back at all the titles my favorites won:

Schumacher

Doohan

Biaggi

Mäkinen

Grosjean at GP2 Asia and GP2

Villeneuve 1995

Zanardi

Montoya

Nico Rosberg

Button

Vettel 2010

Will Power championship and Indy 500

Marques 2013

#32 messy

messy

• 7,496 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:46

God, I'm so conditioned to just expect Lewis to win the championship that I have no faith that it won't happen. I like Lewis, always have. He's a brilliant driver and an iconic figure in F1. He's achieved what he has without the shady stuff you got from Schumacher and Senna and - although I'd always argue that his sheer numbers are massively, massively inflated by the fact he's had a dominant car from so long - he's been fully deserving of every title he's won and a couple he hasn't. But in 2021, he's been completely second best to Max. He's gained a lot of points on Max through luck. Being able to unlap himself at Imola, being able to get away without damage at Silverstone - that's a 25 point swing on the flip of a coin (and arguably caused by his own error) and 18 points when really it would have been zero normally. I think Max - much as I can fully see myself going on to see him as a tiresome winning machine himself for years to come - fully, fully deserves the 2021 title. But I'm used to seeing Mercedes and Lewis suddenly disappear into the sunset at the business end of the season and despite Austin - which was massive for Max and Red Bull - I'm still in the 'I'll believe it when I see it' camp in terms of them finally being beaten.

Edited by messy, 05 November 2021 - 06:06.

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,523 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:47

Assuming Max has indicated he intends to do so, that’s another big point in his favour for me. The No.1 is earned, and I dislike when a champion doesn’t take that privilege.

#34 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,714 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:52

I feel Max has the momentum at the moment, and RBR seem to have got their mojo back with Newey fully fit. 

That said, it only takes one race for Lewis to swing the pendulum in his favour. I do think Mercedes will take the WCC. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Max wins the WDC.

#35 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:53

3) Max has driven better than Lewis so far this season. Lewis hasn't performed at the level he's had the previous 4 seasons. Had their performances been the other way around then I'd probably root for Lewis to win it, in spite of point 1 & 2. Because ultimately it wouldn't feel good to me to root for a driver to win the championship who I think has done a worse job and therefore deserves it less.

I agree with you.

However, do you think it's possible for Lewis to close the gap on "driver performance" in the last 5 races (barring any massive Max errors) to the point where you would accept that he just about deserves it, or have you seen enough already?

This question also applies to other posters who have said similar things.

Can Lewis put in 5/5 champion drives to reclaim the title of "deserving"? :p

@Lights - to use your own personal rankings as a barometer, you currently have Max season average 8.5, Lewis 7.7. A difference of 0.8. If Lewis closes that gap until season end to 0.3-0.4, is that close enough that you're happy if either wins, or is it simply a case of higher number wins the "deserving" title no matter what?

Edited by TomNokoe, 04 November 2021 - 12:00.

#36 player1s

player1s

• 651 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:05

Assuming Max has indicated he intends to do so, that’s another big point in his favour for me. The No.1 is earned, and I dislike when a champion doesn’t take that privilege.

In the past he indicated he would do so. Not 100% how he feels now.

People argue that it wouldnt happen because of the marketing behind #33 but many Dutch fans will gobble up any #1 merch just to buy the almost exact merch a year later with #33 on it (assuming he wont win in 2022). So even from a marketing point of view I can see it happen.

#37 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,860 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:05

I properly dislike both of these guys, but purely for a change, I’d like Verstappen to win. I think he just has the edge mentally so if he has the car, it’s his.

#38 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:06

Fence sitter here.

Great to see MV win. Good for F1
Great to see LH win an 8th

#39 MaroF1

MaroF1

• 1,030 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:09

Not gonna lie, I am not the biggest fan of Hamilton, and naturally I would have rooted for Verstappen anyway to win this year. But Max has grown with me in last 2 years, and has became my favorite driver, and he really has been the benchmark IMO ever since 2019 season. He has driven better than Lewis this year, and other than Monza weekend, where he made some scrappy mistakes, he has been on it and almost perfect. I dare to say his season has been close to brilliant as Alonso's 2012 or Hamilton's 2018 campaigns. The level of maturity he showed after Hungary, after losing almost 50 points through no fault of his own and going into summer break with 8 point deficit, and still coming back and getting the championship lead back, is so so impressive, and I think this mentality will help him win many more championships in his carrer. He has been so calm, collected, and he deserves to win this thing. For Hamilton, as a Ferrari fan, it would be kinda bad to see him break Michaels record, and especially in a year where he has been the 2nd best to Max, but if he somehow wins it, fair play but I do think its gonna be a challenge for him. I'd say its 60-40 for Max, if he wins next 2 races that he is the favorite at he will go with 25~30 pt lead in last 3 races that are still quite unknown, so its a quite good cushion to have. As lot of people in this thread said, I just hope there are no outside factors like crashes or engine failures that really interfere in the battle, and let the best driver/team win, and I am pretty sure that will be the end result when the chequered flag drops in Abu Dhabi. 5 races in 6 weeks (if we get Jeddah),very exciting time for all us fans, so lets buckle up and enjoy this, what a season it has been,definitely the best I have watched since 2012.

Edited by MaroF1, 04 November 2021 - 12:12.

Advertisement

#40 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,638 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:10

I agree with you.

However, do you think it's possible for Lewis to close the gap on "driver performance" in the last 5 races (barring any massive Max errors) to the point where you would accept that he just about deserves it, or have you seen enough already?

This question also applies to other posters who have said similar things.

Can Lewis put in 5/5 champion drives to reclaim the title of "deserving"? :p

@Lights - to use your own personal rankings as a barometer, you currently have Max season average 8.5, Lewis 7.7. A difference of 0.8. If Lewis closes that gap until season end to 0.3-0.4, is that close enough that you're happy if either wins, or is it simply a case of higher number wins the "deserving" title no matter what?

He should then win it by a landslide, otherwise Silverstone and Hungary will be a very big asterix next to the title.

#41 lewislorenzo

lewislorenzo

• 3,802 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:17

Head says Max but heart says Lewis. Merc will win constructors

#42 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:23

Here's what I think:

Mexico - Verstappen. High altitude track where Verstappen has gone well in the past.

Brazil - Verstappen. Like Mexico but less so. Will be close but I fancy RB.

Qatar - Actually going to go with Verstappen here too. Looks quite similar to Bahran where RB had the edge.

Saudi Arabia - Hamilton. I think it'll favour Mercedes and Mclaren will be quick too. Might be a tough weekend for Verstappen.

Abu Dhabi - Again, super close. Hamitlon to win the race but Verstappen to finish high enough up to win the title.

Ultimately I think this season has been full of close races but not really a close title fight - Red Bull have won nearly all of the close races. The reason the title race is close is because of the 60-odd points Verstappen lost in Baku, Silverstone and Hungary. Red Bull have generally ahd the better strategy and - this year at least - the better driver.

Pressure could be a big factor but so far Verstappen has seemed totally immune to it - surely if he was going to make mistakes we'd have seen them in Zandvoort or in Austin, but so far nothing. Indeed, he's barely made an error all season whilst Hamilton has been quite lucky that his errors in Imola, Baku and in qualifying in Russia were not punished more severely than they were.

So yeah, I think Red Bull will win it. Verstappen is driving one of the best seasons I've ever seen and the team haven't lost a close strategy battle to Mercedes since the Spanish GP in May. Unless Mercedes can find a few tenths from somewhere, or Verstappen has more bad luck, I don't see Hamilton winning it.

#43 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:38

I'm one of the few on here who want Lewis to win. I want to believe he's going to do it, but from where I'm sitting, all the data from this season so far, and historical data of the remaining tracks. I just can't look past Max.

The only time he's finished outside of the top 2 all season is when he's dnfed and Hungary where he was wiped out at the start.
No reason imo for him to suddenly become a lot less consistent. And if he finishes top 2 in the final 5, I cannot see any way he doesn't win the title

Same here.  I'm afraid I'm starting to find Max slightly annoying - I honestly think Horner and Dr. Marko have done to him what they did to Vettel in his Championship years - persuade a young, talented driver who is generally a nice chap that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and that nothing that happens to him can ever be his fault.  With Seb, it resulted in him swearing at Charlie Whiting and shouting "get him out of my way!" as soon as he caught a driver who was also on a flying lap; with Max, it's the "I was lying in hospital and he was celebrating" nonsense from Silverstone (I'm no Hamilton fan, but he did check that Max was broadly OK) and the borderline libellous twaddle from Horner about it being a dirty move (clear implication being that they thought or wanted Max to think that Hamilton hit him deliberately).  There are some people who are bad winners, and Red Bull always strike me as being in that category.

Edited by cpbell, 04 November 2021 - 17:10.

#44 Ali623

Ali623

• 3,554 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 13:04

12 points is one 4th place vs a win. That is nothing. The non-points hit Verstappen hard, otherwise he could be planning where to win it.  ;)

I don't think he'd take the number 1, the 33 is a pretty big part of his brand now.

#45 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 13:05

Same here.  I'm afraid I'm starting to find Max slightly annoying - I honestly think Horner and Dr. Marko have done to him what they did to Vettel in his Championship years - persuade a young, talented driver who is generally a nice chap that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and that nothing that happens to him can ever be his fault.  With Seb, it resulted in him swearing at Charlie Whiting and shoulding "get him out of my way!" as soon as he caught a driver who was also on a flying lap; with Max, it's the "I was lying in hospital and he was celebrating" nonsense from Silverstone (I'm no Hamilton fan, but he did check that Max was broadly OK) and the borderline libellous twaddle from Horner about it being a dirty move (clear implication being that they thought or wanted Max to think that Hamilton hit him deliberately).  There are some people who are bad winners, and Red Bull always strike me as being in that category.

I think Max and Horner just got scared by the huge crash, IMO it's much worse that Lewis took no responsibility what so ever for causing such a crash in one off the fastest corners in F1 so late in his career, in stead trying to paint Max as over aggressive, that was really a shame

#46 BelievableNonsense

BelievableNonsense

• 131 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 13:06

Max
Lewis
Mercedes.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time though. I don't mind Max winning though, it's not like he doesn't deserve it

#47 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 13:09

I think Max and Horner just got scared by the huge crash, IMO it's much worse that Lewis took no responsibility what so ever for causing such a crash in one off the fastest corners in F1 so late in his career, in stead trying to paint Max as over aggressive, that was really a shame

No it wasn't, despite the often mentioned popular narrative, Max played his part there too. And fighting tooth and nail on lap one for the same piece of tarmac, unwilling to yield whilst running with a 32 point championship lead is probably something he would be unwise to do should he take a similar lead after the two favourable tracks coming Red Bull's way.

#48 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 13:17

No it wasn't, despite the often mentioned popular narrative, Max played his part there too. And fighting tooth and nail on lap one for the same piece of tarmac, unwilling to yield whilst running with a 32 point championship lead is probably something he would be unwise to do should he take a similar lead after the two favourable tracks coming Red Bull's way.

Doesn't change the fact that Lewis caused the crash and tried to push his agenda as a victim of the aggressive Max, such a shame for a driver so late in his career to deny any responsibility for his actions

#49 Eff1

Eff1

• 744 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 13:18

I think Lewis will win it. There is still time for him to pull some magic. I expect he will.

I want Verstappen to win it. His performance level this year reminds me of Hamilton 2020, Alonso 2012, Schumacher 2002 etc. close to flawless. Sensational to watch until now. He just needs to keep it up.

Feel RB might sneak this if Perez solid form continues till season end.

#50 Bliman

Bliman

• 10,203 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 13:27

Max will win this pretty easily. And I don't think we have to wait long. Imo Hamilton has basically no chance. The only chance I see is if Max does not finish for two races and Hamilton takes two wins where Max doesn't finish. But I don't see that happen. Max has been the better driver this year, Red Bulls operations have been better than Mercedes this year and Red Bull over the year had the better car. I absolutely think that will pay off in the end.