• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2229 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,778 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 22:05

16369194194721.jpg
Hooray! After an absence from our lives spanning a bleak and depressing 120 hours, Formula One Grand Prix Racing returns to thrilling action in thrilling Qatar. The Qatar (Qatari?) Grand Prix is the first part of an unplanned, all-new, probably nightbound Middle Eastern triple header, joining up with the 1980s CART on steroids of Jeddah and the 2010s F1 with less corners of Abu Dhabi to create a conclusion, if you can call it that, to all the human drama that may or may not be repeated verbatim next year. Red Bull’s Max Verstappen holds Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton 14 points at bay, which with 25 points for a win and 18 for second is a slender advantage he’ll need to hold onto to wrap up a sensational cessation of Mercedes’ long, long winning streak. Three wins out of three will do it for Lewis, which was of course the kind of run of results he used to assemble while sending Snapchats of Nico Rosberg’s face swapped with Roscoe’s, or however it was we used to fill our days in those golden years of 2014-15 before everything became so very bad. But this. Of course. Means that the Qatar race is nearly crucial, almost decisive, virtually conclusive and practically dispositive of the whole 2021 question.
Brazil-F1-GP-Auto-Racing-27_163682400326
Oh, there’ll also be 18 other drivers who will presumably take up airtime while Lewis and Max are just competently doing their business and not overtaking the whole field, herding the other into the run-off area, theatrically inspecting each other’s rear wings, or getting their Team Dad to slag the other lot off in the press. (And that was just Brazil!) Valtteri Bottas and Sergio Perez will try and probably not succeed to finish between the top duo. McLaren will contest third place in the constructors’ championship in increasingly wan fashion. The Haas drivers will come last and we will futilely imagine a rivalry between them. Kimi, having no alternative, will count the laps down to retirement.
salida-gp2-asia-qatar-2487887.jpg
What's the schedule look like?
This is the good part! Where we discover when they’ll be racing! No sprint (Sprint?) this weekend, just boring practice sessions, boring qualifying and boring race.

Friday’s two practice sessions are at 10.30-11.30am GMT, and 2-3pm in the afternoon. That’s one in daylight and one at night, so you can pretend they’re racing at different venues like we used to at Singapore. The track hasn’t been used much since April so the first session will probably be quite dusty and unrepresentative, as well as hot.

Saturday begins with FP3 from 11am GMT till noon, and then qualifying happens at 2pm.

Sunday’s race will start at 2pm GMT, which is five o’clock in Qatar and just after sunset.

Track?
1280px-Losail.svg.png
As dedicated rememberers of 2021 will be able to tell you, the Qatar(i?) Grand Prix wasn’t originally on the F1 calendar for this year. However just like in the good old days, mid-season race cancellations took their toll and reflecting its new centre of gravity F1 has taken the circus not to Kent or southern Spain but to a circuit famous for its mostly-unattended MotoGP season-opener and, er, a GP2 Asia race held more than a decade ago. The layout is pretty standard and yet subtly untraditional: kilometre-long pit straight, tick, twisty bits round the back of the circuit, tick, tight first corner intended to trick drivers into ramming each other provide overtaking opportunities, tick. However (this isn’t a huge however), said twisty bits are a bit fast, with the three hairpins balanced out by double- and triple-apexed right-handers and what looks like a sensationally fast run to the final corner. Tough on tyres, presumably, and featuring the familiar trade-off between dirty air keeping cars apart and varied racing lines giving drivers a run on each other. The predicting people are predicting that the layout favours a high downforce setup, which I assume will result in a bigger-than-expected slipstream effect down the very long pit straight. But who knows?

Tyres!
Here’s your infographic: C1, C2, C3.
image.jpg

Weather???
eukAgcA.jpg
PZrle21.jpg
WPKEmXY.jpg
There won’t really be any weather. Over the three days the forecast varies from pretty warm (max 28 degrees C) on Friday and Saturday to really quite hot (max 30 degrees on Sunday). Qatar being by the sea and not a desert in the middle of some vast continent (I assume), there isn’t much drop-off in temperatures at night, so don’t come here expecting icicles to form on Toto’s nose or Zak Brown to instigate some kind of cold-related challenge to Daniel Ricciardo’s masculinity come nightfall. It’ll be warm and it’ll stay warm.

Anyway, lots to talk about. Lots of false conclusions to jump to. Lots of premature vitriol to hurl at the TV screen. Enjoy! Post here! Go!

Advertisement

#2 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 22:11

The Qataroring!

#3 Anja

Anja

• 10,351 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 22:24

Two new circuits and a significantly modified third one certainly is a spicy way to end the championship. Although I'm sure the teams have terabytes of data from their simulators and such. 

#4 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,973 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 22:42

...while sending Snapchats of Nico Rosberg’s face swapped with Roscoe’s, or however it was we used to fill our days in those golden years of2014-15 be...

https://forums.autos...pped/?p=6997133

I still claim copyright!

#5 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 22:45

Is Hamilton not statistically quite successful at new circuits?

#6 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,973 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 22:45

You didn't have to add the 'at new circuits'

#7 ARTGP

ARTGP

• 29,789 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 00:12

:lol:

#8 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 02:24

I bet the F2 guys dream of having a race only 1 week apart at the moment

#9 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,082 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 02:32

I love how Bahrain and Qatar look like identical countries and also look like they have identical race tracks, of course I am exaggerating but they do look very similar!

#10 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,208 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 02:33

You didn't have to add the 'at new circuits'

Legend has it that he'll have won at your track before you've finished building it.... which may well come to pass in Saudi. 

#11 Dratini

Dratini

• 2,536 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 05:10

Four new circuits since the start of the turbo hybrid era (Portimao, Mugello, Baku and Sochi), of which Lewis won the first edition for all but Baku. He did eventually get it down on his third attempt though.

Before the Mercedes dominance it was a bit of a mixed bag, with COTA being the only new circuit that he claimed a win at for the first edition. The same would have been said however for Abu Dhabi had he not suffered a mechanical retirement.

#12 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,682 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 06:19

Four new circuits since the start of the turbo hybrid era (Portimao, Mugello, Baku and Sochi), of which Lewis won the first edition for all but Baku. He did eventually get it down on his third attempt though.

Before the Mercedes dominance it was a bit of a mixed bag, with COTA being the only new circuit that he claimed a win at for the first edition. The same would have been said however for Abu Dhabi had he not suffered a mechanical retirement.

Yep, when the car you're in wins 3/4 of all the races in a PU era, you're gonna rack up a few wins at new tracks along the way.

#13 YamahaV10

YamahaV10

• 2,363 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:24

If Hamilton shows up for this race with the same car as last week, the only chance there will be an incident between them is most likely when Hamilton laps Max Verstappen. Second place is all he's playing for.

#14 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 1,110 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:26

If Hamilton shows up for this race with the same car as last week, the only chance there will be an incident between them is most likely when Hamilton laps Max Verstappen. Second place is all he's playing for.

You should start a new thread about it.  :lol:

#15 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,392 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:31

If Verstappen shows up for this race with the same car as Mexico, the only chance there will be an incident between them is most likely when Verstappen laps Lewis Hamilton. Second place is all he's playing for.

#16 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,602 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:59

Since I have been wrong predicting 'who track is it' for most of the races I am saying very loud this is a Mercedes track and Red Bull will not stand any chance. 

#17 d246

d246

• 1,050 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:01

He seems to do pretty well considering his disdain for simulators and track walks. 

He'll go far.

#18 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:08

The Qataroring!

Looks like Mercedes track to me.

#19 Huffer

Huffer

• 3,581 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:14

Legend has it that he'll have won at your track before you've finished building it.... which may well come to pass in Saudi. 

That's a violation of causality, isn't it? Surely that's not allowed...a sure fire DSQ for violating nature in such a manner. 

Advertisement

#20 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,973 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:25

He seems to do pretty well considering his disdain for simulators and track walks. 

He'll go far.

Apparently the jury is still out on the question if he is any good at all.

#21 Vic Vega

Vic Vega

• 279 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:38

If Verstappen shows up for this race with the same car as Mexico, the only chance there will be an incident between them is most likely when Verstappen laps Lewis Hamilton. Second place is all he's playing for.

Mexico is at 2400 m altitude, unique circumstaces at play.

Qatar should be, due to most of the track being long and fast corners, better suited to Mercedes.

#22 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,108 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:42

I'm very excited for this weekend's race!  :up: 

Think this track could surprise in a positive way.

We're used to see Motogp there, but F1 cars will tackle those corners twice or trice the speed, and some of them will be like 250-260 km/h flatout bends. 

The Turn 12-15 complex could be one of the higlights of the season in quali, with the drivers throwing the car in the corner at crazy speeds.

Should be quite spectacular, and it's very wide.
I expect quite a show in Quali, and crazy first lap of the race with multiple lines possible.

Tyre wear could be a big factor, and the main straight is long enough to guarantee overtaking.

Edited by thegamer23, 18 November 2021 - 08:44.

#23 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,281 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:48

There are so many unknowns here. I look forward to it  :up:

#24 jpm2019

jpm2019

• 1,602 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:55

I agree. Turns  12-15 looks like Turkey Turn 8 but then the other way. 

#25 InfamousArrows

InfamousArrows

• 109 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:03

This comment shows you're either disingenuous or have no basic understanding of F1. Max even won this GP in 2017 and 2018 when they had the Renault brick in the back and Merc where utterly dominant.

Edited by InfamousArrows, 18 November 2021 - 09:04.

#26 JeePee

JeePee

• 5,909 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:04

The C1 tyre, long, fast corners, a jet engine in the back of Lewis' car... I fully expect a Mercedes walkover.

.... which probably means Max will extend his championship lead.

#27 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,182 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:06

Im quite excited for the last 3 races. 2 new tracks and a reconfigured Abu Dhabi.

#28 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:07

We're used to see Motogp there, but F1 cars will tackle those corners twice or trice the speed, and some of them will be like 250-260 km/h flatout bends. 

The Turn 12-15 complex could be one of the higlights of the season in quali, with the drivers throwing the car in the corner at crazy speeds.

I expect quite a show in Quali, and crazy first lap of the race with multiple lines possible.

Tyre wear could be a big factor, and the main straight is long enough to guarantee overtaking.

the-matrix-very-exciting.gif

#29 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,247 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:27

I feel somewhat guilty.

I bet the F2 guys dream of having a race only 1 week apart at the moment

Ooohhhh F2 ?
I totally forgot.

Jp

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,247 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:31

Uhhhg
Not till Saudi weekend.

Never mind.
Jp

#31 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,043 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:31

https://twitter.com/...256293864378368

if the 1'16 lap time is true then we have the fastest track of the calendar behind Monza.

#32 Goron3

Goron3

• 4,483 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:32

I love how excited you get about new circuits. I completely agree!

The one thing that seperates this circuit from other circuits that Red Bull have struggled at (Spain, Hungary, Turkey) is that those circuits all had a great range of corner types. In an F1 car, Losail will likely end up being similar to Paul Ricard but a bit faster. The corners in the first and last sector are going to be breathtakingly quick for a F1 car to take flat out.

Apparently the abrasion is very high due to the tarmac not having been touched since 2004. As such, I expect very high tyre deg. Looking forward to a race similar to COTA where one team is forced to gamble on the undercut.

#33 Okyo

Okyo

• 2,868 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 11:01

Couldn't believe my eyes it's another race weekend  :lol: 

Sc**w those who said this is too much of F1.

WE GOING DEEP IN TO DECEMBER BABY  :clap: 

Edited by Okyo, 18 November 2021 - 11:02.

#34 w00dy

w00dy

• 1,306 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 11:02

Apparently the jury is still out on the question if he is any good at all.

He definitely can drive very fast in a straight line. Based on Brazil  :wave:

#35 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 11:47

20) Track Limits

20.1 Turn 4 Exit
a) A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track on the exit of Turn 4, will result in that lap time being invalidated by the stewards.

20.2 Turn 12 Exit
a) A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track on the exit of Turn 12, will result in that lap time being invalidated by the stewards.

20.3 Turn 13 Exit
a) A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track on the exit of Turn 13, will result in that lap time being invalidated by the stewards

20.4 Turn 14 Exit
a) A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track on the exit of Turn 13, will result in that lap time being invalidated by the stewards.

20.5 Turn 16 Exit
a) A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track on the exit of Turn 13, will result in that lap time and the immediately following lap time being invalidated by the stewards.

20.6 General – Turn 4 Exit, Turn 12 Exit, Turn 13 Exit, Turn 14 Exit and Turn 16 Exit
a) Each time any car fails to negotiate Turn 4 Exit, Turn 12 Exit, Turn 13 Exit, Turn 14 Exit or Turn 16 Exit by using the track, teams will be informed via the official messaging system.
b) On the third occasion of a driver failing to negotiate Turn 4 Exit and/or Turn 12 Exit and/or Turn 13 Exit and/or Turn 14 Exit and/or Turn 16 Exit by using the track during the race, he will be shown a black and white flag, any further cutting will then be reported to the stewards. For the avoidance of doubt this means a total of three occasions combined not three at each corner.
c) The driver must only re-join the track when it is safe to do so and without gaining a lasting advantage.
d) The above requirements will not automatically apply to any driver who is judged to have been forced off the track, each such case will be judged individually.

#36 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 11:49

Before the weekend is over I think they will have added Turn 5 and Turn 9 and Turn 10 and Turn 15 to the list.

Losail.jpg

Edited by ANF, 18 November 2021 - 12:06.

#37 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:10

Apparently the pit entry has been heavily modified, which I take to mean "slowed down".

#38 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:13

Before the weekend is over I think they will have added Turn 5 and Turn 9 and Turn 10 and Turn 15 to the list.

Losail.jpg

Turn 9 should be ok, drivers will move to the other side as fast as possible for the entry of T10

#39 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:23

Apparently the pit entry has been heavily modified, which I take to mean "slowed down".

On the FIA circuit map it actually begins 125m before Turn 16 now!

Advertisement

#40 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:28

Danny Ric visit @ RB:

FEeXdjYXIAQOGTs.jpg

#41 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,852 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:45

If they had left the gravel traps as they used to be, track limits wouldn't have been as big an issue. 

#42 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:55

I believe Sergio Pérez will be the only driver in the field to have raced this track before. He won in GP2 Asia in 2009.

#43 mikelee7

mikelee7

• 18 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:55

Does anybody know the distance of the run from pole to turn 1?

#44 Jerem

Jerem

• 2,176 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:57

Does anybody know the distance of the run from pole to turn 1?

About 400m.

#45 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 12:59

Booooo

Bring back sub-20s pit stops

--

Right on cue, Brundle on Twitter:

"Scariest corner in Qatar Losail for the F1 race will be pit lane entry 90 deg right hander, skirting inside the final turn. It will be taken as fast as possible between wall and barrier, the 80kph speed limit is 400 mts later. Track’s very smooth, perfectly cambered, easy kerbs"

Pitentry.png

Watch out, Lewis!

Edited by TomNokoe, 18 November 2021 - 13:04.

#46 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,108 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 13:03

I believe Sergio Pérez will be the only driver in the field to have raced this track before. He won in GP2 Asia in 2009.

Also Mazepin raced there in Formula MRF back in 2014

Dark horse for the win?

#47 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,108 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 13:12

Booooo

Bring back sub-20s pit stops

--

Right on cue, Brundle on Twitter:

"Scariest corner in Qatar Losail for the F1 race will be pit lane entry 90 deg right hander, skirting inside the final turn. It will be taken as fast as possible between wall and barrier, the 80kph speed limit is 400 mts later. Track’s very smooth, perfectly cambered, easy kerbs"

Pitentry.png

Watch out, Lewis!

Looks like an unneccessary danger zone

#48 HerbieMcQueen

HerbieMcQueen

• 1,574 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 13:15

I smell DC at Adelaide vibes looking at that pit entry...

#49 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 13:18

The asplhat abrasion is high. The sand over the track makes the tarmac more slippery. They clean it with blowers.

FEeAp5oXMAIjdnD.jpg

#50 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,778 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 13:19

Also Mazepin raced there in Formula MRF back in 2014

Dark horse for the win?

Ooh good spot. No idea what Formula MRF is/was.