Photo

Talking Pictures TV

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PaulButler58

PaulButler58

• 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 17:48

May I draw my fellow TNF'ers attention to this channel. It has a number of little vignettes on it, as well as some seriously vintage films that are so bad they are good!

However they have a series called "Look at Life" which was filmed in the late 50's through to the late 60's and today's one that I (re)caught was entitled "Speed Kings" and has some fascinating paddock and racing footage in it with appearances from Stirling , Tony Brooks and Jack Brabham.

It also covers the "Racing School" at Brands Hatch and has some lovely sequences of people following Ian Burgess around the track and being "judged" by people sitting in a box on the start finish straight as to whether they'd make the cut.

I wish I could remember the name of the young lady who's  mother was "appalled" she'd attended the school, I have to say I did wonder if she carried on at all!

Well worth a look.

There was another short on the other day as well showing the fitting of the Laycock overdrive to the MGB and how it gave a 16% improvement in consumption so for every 5 gallons you got a 6th one free.

Advertisement

#2 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 4,898 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 19:42

I think I have a super 8mm film print of "Speed Kings"...many of the Look At Life shorts were released on film back in the 70s. I think there's a series of DVDs out these days. 

Talking Pictures is a really small family owned operation with many of the films taken from the personal collection of the family who run it. Worth supporting.

#3 Collombin

Collombin

• 6,840 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 19:50

A couple of years ago they showed an excellent short feature on racing in the 1930s, with footage from Donington, Nurburgring, Indianapolis and Langhorne amongst others. I suspect it will be repeated again at some point.

#4 PaulButler58

PaulButler58

• 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 19:51

A couple of years ago they showed an excellent short feature on racing in the 1930s, with footage from Donington, Nurburgring, Indianapolis and Langhorne amongst others. I suspect it will be repeated again at some point.

That is one thing you can depend on , if you miss it , it will come around again!

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 39,306 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 20:09

We have mentioned TPTV in various threads before, including this one: https://forums.autos...es#entry9454600

As I pointed out there, the Look at Life features were then all available on YouTube, although it appears that ITV have now had them taken down.

#6 Macca

Macca

• 3,672 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:23

TPTV regularly shows episodes of a series called Scotland Yard; in one episode titled The Dover Road Mystery there is a scene near the end shot at Brands Hatch with a Lotus XI supposedly owned by villains who do bank robberies to finance their racing.

The stories are said to be based on real cases; does this one have any basis that anyone knows of?

Paul M

#7 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,393 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 14:47

What year was it produced, Macca?

#8 Macca

Macca

• 3,672 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 15:48

Screened in Ferbruary 1960; starred Geoffrey Keen and Leonard Sachs.

Paul M

#9 RTH

RTH

• 6,043 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 01:53

You can still buy I box set of DVD  Look at Life films  dozens of them on all subjects .

#10 Roy C

Roy C

• 116 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:47

Some Look at Life films are still up on YouTube. "Sport Against the Clock" - the 1960 RAC Rally, narrated by Raymond Baxter:
https://youtu.be/ZTyNFGhGp5k

#11 Collombin

Collombin

• 6,840 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 22:11

Just bumping the thread to mention that this coming Sunday's (19th June) edition of the Footage Detectives will apparently be showing film from a Monaco GP from the 1960s. Looking forward to seeing what Mike and Noel make of it - "definitely 1950s", "I think this is the Isle of Wight" etc.

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 39,306 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 06:24

Just bumping the thread to mention that this coming Sunday's (19th June) edition of the Footage Detectives will apparently be showing film from a Monaco GP from the 1960s. Looking forward to seeing what Mike and Noel make of it - "definitely 1950s", "I think this is the Isle of Wight" etc.

Have to say I've only watched them once - they did seem somewhat clueless, although maybe that's just to encourage contributions. There was film of an aircraft they couldn't identify landing at an unknown airport. It was pretty obviously an Avro York but even if you didn't know that, two minutes googling the plane's clearly visible registration would have brought up the details and the near certainty that the airport was Hurn!

The channel does now have a 'catch-up' website: www.tptvencore.co.uk

No idea if it's viewable outside the UK though.

#13 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,010 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 17:17

There was a short run of races at minor circuits a while back, and one showing motor cycles at Oliver’s Mount, plus another of ten minutes of pre war stuff. 
Off thread, I enjoy the original Maigret  series on Saturday evenings at 8pm,  with Rupert Davies as the eponymous detective. It takes me back to reading them in my schooldays, nostalgia link…..

Roger Lund

#14 nexfast

nexfast

• 815 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 21:53

No idea if it's viewable outside the UK though.

Through the site you can watch a few videos from abroad but not all, depending on who owns the rights for the country where you are trying to view them

#15 Collombin

Collombin

• 6,840 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 20:10

Anyone catch this? It featured several minutes of decent colour footage from Monaco 1966, showing a bit of the F3 race as well as the Grand Prix.

Mike and Noel recognised Graham Hill and Stirling Moss straight away, and although I wouldn't have expected them to recognise Beltoise it's a little surprising they didn't recognise JYS - he'll be mortified. Colin Chapman? "Looks like David Niven, but I don't think it was".