- - - - -

Very early AV story

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:08

This post is entirely light hearted but as Christmas is coming it seems appropriate.

There was programme about the changes in the dairy industry on UK TV recently. Most of it was serious but one  family dairy farm owner had a funny story about when his farm ran a door delivery service for milk using a horse, cart and driver.

Apparently on Christmas  Eve the driver and cart set off and the driver was given a holiday drink at many customers. So much so that he fell asleep before finishing the round so the horse just came home on its own with drunk driver still asleep. When the farm realised what had happened and saw the undelivered bottles, they re-hitched the horse but it refused to go as it reckoned it’s days work was done!

I suppose the horse was an early AV as it found its way back home through road junctions and traffic without a driver , hopefully future AV's wont refuse to re start f you have to go back to the office at night.

Advertisement

#2 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,543 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:03

I lived in a little town in E. Washington State that was pretty seriously rural. There was a notorious old rancher who habituated a bar in town and used his horse to get there and back home. It wasn't unusual to see him slumped over, headed home apparently passed dead out on his horse going safely home. Is that level five? 

#3 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,366 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:13

L4, only works in a  restricted area. On the other hand that is a good example of a use for AVs, local taxi type services.

Edited by Greg Locock, 28 November 2021 - 07:14.

#4 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 12:03

Apparently on Christmas  Eve the driver and cart set off and the driver was given a holiday drink at many customers. So much so that he fell asleep before finishing the round so the horse just came home on its own with drunk driver still asleep. When the farm realised what had happened and saw the undelivered bottles, they re-hitched the horse but it refused to go as it reckoned it’s days work was done!

My father experienced a similar problem when courting my mother over the garden gate. The intelligent locomotive unit for the milk cart timed out and returned to base. This was resolved by my father's irate elder sister turning up in an Austin 7, definitively proving the superiority of human intelligence over AU (Awkward Ungulates).

#5 SkidmarksLeadToTheCrash

SkidmarksLeadToTheCrash

• 34 posts

Posted 03 January 2022 - 22:01

Is it a sort of AV when you drive somewhere for the millionth time and can't remember the drive, or snap your head and see a neon sign but swear you've never noticed it before? Spooky stuff.