Canuck

• 2,388 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 15:04

What is that piece of antique history? 😜

#3 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,366 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 19:07

It's called a fuel faucet. On my TR4 I used to have Webers fitted, when I blipped the throttle I could see the acceleration enrichment jets literally spray liquid fuel into the throats.

#4 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,718 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 16:02

Okay, boomer. 

Just the other day I was thinking about Holley carburetor engineer Harold Droste, who came up with the Le Mans float bowl that evolved into the center-hung Holley float arrangement, and the center-discharge system that sent an accel pump shot into all four venturis. A carburetor man among carburetor men. 

Long after Holley moved from Detroit to Kentucky, the former admin building and carb lab was still standing over on the East Side. Then the building was demolished and you could see the little Holley test track from the street, which included a tiny quarter-mile banked oval and a carburetion grade (hill). Haven't been past there in a while. I should cruise past and see what's there now. 

#5 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,024 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 22:32

Okay, boomer. 

Just the other day I was thinking about Holley carburetor engineer Harold Droste, who came up with the Le Mans float bowl that evolved into the center-hung Holley float arrangement, and the center-discharge system that sent an accel pump shot into all four venturis. A carburetor man among carburetor men. 

Long after Holley moved from Detroit to Kentucky, the former admin building and carb lab was still standing over on the East Side. Then the building was demolished and you could see the little Holley test track from the street, which included a tiny quarter-mile banked oval and a carburetion grade (hill). Haven't been past there in a while. I should cruise past and see what's there now. 

):  :mad:

#6 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,366 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 23:58

Our carb guy used to smoke cigars while dismantling carbs in the office at his desk. He also had a collection of briggs and stratton carbs that he used for inspiration.

#7 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:17

I've seen it suggested that people learning to tune engines should start with carburettors and timing lights before moving to laptops and ECUs.

Do you guys think that is valid?

Is there anything that can be learned that can't be learned in a theoretical class?

#8 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,366 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:21

I've seen a steam engine that was made entirely using hand tools. The judges said something like great workmanship but perverse.

#9 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,776 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:29

Looks like Syncreon have built over the whole site.

#10 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,718 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 15:07

Looks like Syncreon have built over the whole site.

Yes, thanks. I looked it up. Big logistics center. 

#11 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,718 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 15:10

I've seen it suggested that people learning to tune engines should start with carburettors and timing lights before moving to laptops and ECUs.

Is there anything that can be learned that can't be learned in a theoretical class?th

I am the biggest fan of carburetors you will ever find and I don't think so.

A carburetor is mainly a box of holes that perform various functions, and holes are just holes unless you know their exact purpose, which isn't at all intuitive. 

#12 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,024 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 01:44

Is there anything that can be learned that can't be learned in a theoretical class?

How annoying and miserable an unknown, and quite possibly simple, glitch can be.

#13 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 15:13

Probably just going to be depressing.